Author Topic: [IC] Dawn | FE Raffle 10/29 - Link to GB thread  (Read 145799 times)

Offline andreya

Re: [IC] Dawn (75% Isolation Mount)
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 07:02:05 »
can we do pure 60% + F-ROW ?

Offline OmniSzron

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 09:01:12 »
This board looks like... a thick SLAB of aluminium with keys on top. I absolutely love how clean this is. It really appeals to my inner minimalist.

Now here's the problem - I'm still waiting on gok101's 7V and that keyboard is an absolute stunner for completely different reasons. Getting both Dawn and 7V will be a financial struggle and if I had to choose one right now, I'd probably go with the 7V (I'm eager to try wilba's leafspring plate and I didn't get a Thermal). So what I'm saying is - if this releases after the 7V and I'll still have some savings I'd definitely try and get the WK version.
Fox Lab Key 65 split space

Offline crykn

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 09:15:30 »
This looks really great.  I love the minimalist design, and the layout is perfect.  Pending my personal finances and the cost of this board, I would definitely get one!

Can someone tell me more about the differences between a tray mount and an isolation mount?  I understand the mechanics of the mounting itself, I'm more interested in what it feels like to actually type on.
 I've read a little bit about gasket mounted boards, but I don't know what to expect in terms of the feel of the board other than a generally "softer" feel compared to the "hard points" of a tray mount.  I'd likely be using tactile switches (Zealios/Zilents), if that makes a difference.  Thanks!

You mentioned that you already understand the mechanics, but I will go ahead and explain to the best of my ability for those who may not be familiar:

The tray mount is characterized by stiffness, especially at the mounting points. Because the plate is directly attached at the posts on the tray mount, there is essentially no flex at that point, and bottoming out the switch near those areas can be a little harsh.

Top mount takes those mounting points out from under the plate and moves them to the edges of the plate, which removes the incredibly stiff spots from the typing area. Most of the time the mounting points for top mount are only at the front or back edges of the plate, so those edges have a little less flex than the middle of the plate.

Isolation mount (or gasket mount), as far as what is being used in this board, is similar to top mount, but instead of maybe four to five screw mounting points at the front or back edge of the plate, there are three tabs that are only in contact with PORON vibration damping pads. Similar to top mount, this mounting system will have a little less flex at the front and back edge of the plate, with slightly more flex in the middle. But since the plate is not in direct contact with the case, vibration will be transmitted differently. When you bottom out the switch, the PORON will damp some of the vibrations, and the bottom out will feel slightly 'cushioned' for lack of a better word, and the sound will be slightly muted. I recommend watching a review/comparison video of the Keycult No 1/65, as I have used the same isolation material as that board, courtesy of Keycult.

Now in regard to tactile switches, the general consensus is that slightly softer plates/mounting is more comfortable to type on for long periods of time, although there is always individual preference so someone can correct me if I'm wrong. With tactile switches as you press past the bump, it can be uncomfortable to accelerate down as the resistance force decreases and bottom out into a tray mount post with zero flex. The isolation mount should give the best performance for this as the mounting is at the edges of the plate, and the PORON provides some compression and flex.

Looking good, i'd get one with an ISO plate.

This is the nicest looking in the recent string of 75% IC's, definitely interested. Hope you manage to keep the price down in the lower end of the range. :)

ISO plates are unlikely; however, this will also depend on the vendor and MOQs. Regardless, once the group buy is complete, the plates will be open sourced and an ISO plate file can be provided.

Does this mean the PCB will definitely support ISO layout, but I might need to get a custom plate cut to build an ISO board?

I will check with the person designing the PCB before confirming, but the goal would be to have the PCB support ISO layouts as long as it doesn't compromise the other layouts. If there's enough interest in ISO, it's possible an ISO plate could be offered in only the most popular material (so we don't have too low of quantities). This is speculation at this point, however, and I will try to keep you guys updated as things go forward.

Looking great! Can't wait to see more!  :thumb:

Thanks Robotical, that means a lot! I hope everything with the Knight75 turns out well!

this looks great and I am crossing my fingers hard I get my hands on this. GL!

Thanks for the support! My goal would be to run the GB with no quantity limit, but it's too early to tell how much interest there would be, as well as what restrictions on quantity a vendor would be comfortable with.

Very clean! Interested for sure.

For reference, what sized space bar are you rendering with?

The WKL layout has a 7u spacebar.

The win key blockers are not symmetrical. Nice try though.

They're as symmetrical as can be with a 75% layout, but you're technically right haha

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 02:09:13 »
This is legit! Love the symmetry. Will keep a close eye on this, might be time for me to go above 65%  :cool:

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 10:13:01 »
the case looks a lot like Ai03's Polaris (from the side profile) with the exception of the centre daughter USB.

Would you consider running it with KBDfans to lower the cost and increase numbers?

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 10:39:36 »
Would you consider running it with KBDfans to lower the cost and increase numbers?

Pls no

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 10:45:44 »

Pls no

I'm new here what's wrong with KBDFans?

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 10:58:10 »
For the price, nothing, but you get what you pay for and I've had pretty piss poor ano from them in the past. I like this board and would rather pay a premium to get something worth keeping.

Offline djmantis

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 13:24:45 »
This board looks like... a thick SLAB of aluminium with keys on top. I absolutely love how clean this is. It really appeals to my inner minimalist.

Now here's the problem - I'm still waiting on gok101's 7V and that keyboard is an absolute stunner for completely different reasons. Getting both Dawn and 7V will be a financial struggle and if I had to choose one right now, I'd probably go with the 7V (I'm eager to try wilba's leafspring plate and I didn't get a Thermal). So what I'm saying is - if this releases after the 7V and I'll still have some savings I'd definitely try and get the WK version.

From what I understand, gok101's 7V will be extremely limited and expensive. I am curious about this board as a more budget friendly and available option.  :D

Offline vi0till

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 13:30:15 »

From what I understand, gok101's 7V will be extremely limited and expensive. I am curious about this board as a more budget friendly and available option.  :D
Yeah, wanted 7v, but i do feel this.keyboard is better choice. I love WKL.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline loopaddiction

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 19:05:44 »
There seems to be a good amount of 75%'s cropping up recently but this is the first one that really looks appealing IMO. I'm neither a fan of 75% or WKL, but I think you just converted me. Beautifully done sir, you knocked it out the park. Definitely in.

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 08:01:24 »
filled out the IC form on this dude. man does this keybaord look great! Skeletor will look dope in this!

Offline crykn

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 12:46:14 »
This is legit! Love the symmetry. Will keep a close eye on this, might be time for me to go above 65%  :cool:

Glad you like the design! 75% is definitely the best layout   ;)

I'll try my best to keep the board somewhat of a "budget option" (at least in reference to our hobby) and try my best to not limit the quantity as is reasonably possible!   :)

the case looks a lot like Ai03's Polaris (from the side profile) with the exception of the centre daughter USB.

No, the most important thing to me is delivering a premium product, and I have nothing against KBDfans or their board quality, but it just doesn't align with my priorities.

There seems to be a good amount of 75%'s cropping up recently but this is the first one that really looks appealing IMO. I'm neither a fan of 75% or WKL, but I think you just converted me. Beautifully done sir, you knocked it out the park. Definitely in.

Thanks! To be fair, if you aren't sold on WKL, there will be a WK option available. I should have some renders for that in the next update.

filled out the IC form on this dude. man does this keybaord look great! Skeletor will look dope in this!

That sounds pretty awesome, what case color were you hoping to pair with Skeletor?

Offline rondg

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 13:22:55 »

I don't know about the price, but I think it was mentioned that the goal was for it to be unlimited.

Thanks! To be fair, if you aren't sold on WKL, there will be a WK option available. I should have some renders for that in the next update.

Looking forward to the renders!

Offline crykn

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 13:28:42 »

I don't know about the price, but I think it was mentioned that the goal was for it to be unlimited.

Looking forward to the renders!

Yes that is the goal, but if the demand for the board is higher than previously anticipated, the quantity might be limited so that the vendor doesn't have to deal with too large of a quantity of orders. The last thing I want is to get over ambitious and have a GB with manufacturing, QC, and shipping delays.

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 14:11:40 »

That sounds pretty awesome, what case color were you hoping to pair with Skeletor?

Black for sure, but that dark blue would look pretty dope too.

Offline MxDuder

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 14:20:16 »
Friendship with 7v ended. Dawn is my new best friend.

Offline OmniSzron

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 15:10:56 »
Filled out the IC form. Now I'm very curious about the companion numpad. Could we get a render?

Offline Chumbo

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 17:35:06 »
I honestly can't wait for there to be a rose gold case, especially on such a nice layout. This is probably the best-looking 75% board put together so far in my opinion.

Offline crykn

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 20:20:21 »

Black for sure, but that dark blue would look pretty dope too.

Black would look really cool! Skeletor has always been a pretty cool set.

Filled out the IC form. Now I'm very curious about the companion numpad. Could we get a render?

I haven't finished the number pad yet, but when I do I will make a render. I put the option in the survey to gauge interest to see if it was worth designing, and there was enough interest that I'm about to start. I know I like it when I have stuff with matching aesthetics.

Friendship with 7v ended. Dawn is my new best friend.

:)

I honestly can't wait for there to be a rose gold case, especially on such a nice layout. This is probably the best-looking 75% board put together so far in my opinion.

Should have some renders eventually to help you visualize it! Thanks for the support

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 21:12:44 »

• No exterior branding, especially on the top surface (although I'm considering a Founder's Edition of sorts with a special back accent if there is community support)

What were you thinking of for the Founder's Edition accent?

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 22:31:24 »
Dawn (75% Isolation Mount)
although I'm considering a Founder's Edition of sorts with a special back accent if there is community support

Usually, I do not mind inconspicuous logos and possibly extra branding, but seeing how this can get very personal, I think it might be best to do without on the exterior.
I think it'll add to the very clean look. If you are considering it, I think it on the inside weight would be nice- Like SINGA.

Consider how the IC for NR65's (A beautiful board) go out of hand because of the Logo was not everyone's cup of tea and the designer ultimately settled for something that is too similar to another brand, although other options are available or without. But just saying, it's something that could be avoided.

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 23:28:14 »
+1 for no logos pls

Offline OmniSzron

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 04:30:09 »
I haven't finished the number pad yet, but when I do I will make a render. I put the option in the survey to gauge interest to see if it was worth designing, and there was enough interest that I'm about to start. I know I like it when I have stuff with matching aesthetics.
Glad to hear it. :thumb: I would love a matching pair.

Offline Benitone

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 04:36:59 »
Interested in ISO. I think that Function keys should have standard spacing, not a spacing based on aesthetics.

I don't like big bezels because my left hand usually rests right in the corner. G80 like cases - and this one too - are painful to me.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 September 2019, 04:41:22 by Benitone »

Offline crykn

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 15:31:35 »

• No exterior branding, especially on the top surface (although I'm considering a Founder's Edition of sorts with a special back accent if there is community support)

What were you thinking of for the Founder's Edition accent?

Dawn (75% Isolation Mount)
although I'm considering a Founder's Edition of sorts with a special back accent if there is community support

Usually, I do not mind inconspicuous logos and possibly extra branding, but seeing how this can get very personal, I think it might be best to do without on the exterior.
I think it'll add to the very clean look. If you are considering it, I think it on the inside weight would be nice- Like SINGA.

Consider how the IC for NR65's (A beautiful board) go out of hand because of the Logo was not everyone's cup of tea and the designer ultimately settled for something that is too similar to another brand, although other options are available or without. But just saying, it's something that could be avoided.

+1 for no logos pls

First I want to state that I will definitely not add any branding on the top surface. I briefly considered a tiny subtle engraved logo on the middle of the back of the top case, but I've since steered away from that idea.
For the Founder's Edition, I was considering two possible options:
  • Bottom case out of a different/premium material rather than aluminum - this is a more likely option, unless quotes show that it would be prohibitively expensive
  • Small weight design protruding from the bottom of the case, I had something in mind and I'm curious how it would turn out in a render, but unless it turned out really well and the community liked the render, it's not as likely

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 22:36:48 »
First I want to state that I will definitely not add any branding on the top surface. I briefly considered a tiny subtle engraved logo on the middle of the back of the top case, but I've since steered away from that idea.
For the Founder's Edition, I was considering two possible options:
  • Bottom case out of a different/premium material rather than aluminum - this is a more likely option, unless quotes show that it would be prohibitively expensive
  • Small weight design protruding from the bottom of the case, I had something in mind and I'm curious how it would turn out in a render, but unless it turned out really well and the community liked the render, it's not as likely

I like the idea of a more premium case bottom. I look forward to seeing your design for the small weight.

Edit - Carbon fiber looks awesome. just throwing that out there.  A question did just come to me though. Is there going to be any foam cutouts included or as an option?
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 September 2019, 22:45:45 by Robosculpts »

Offline wmc123

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 08:33:51 »
Chances of getting a hotswappable PCB?

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 10:22:19 »
Big +1 for numpad. I'd get two sets if there were a matching numpad option.

Offline J_Noes

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 10:23:56 »

Would love this too.

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 10:46:17 »

Offline mongoose27

• WKL FTW
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 11:09:03 »
Beautiful layout and keyboard.  I'm in.

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 12:57:53 »

Offline crykn

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 18:24:38 »

Would love this too.

Would love this too.
Same

Would love this too.
Same

As already stated - same same ;)

I've updated the FAQ to reflect this, but unfortunately hotswap is probably not going to be an option. If it's really important, then I would recommend soldering in mill max sockets, as I'm told this is a decent option. But I, and the PCB designer, really want to stick with a standard PCB with soldered switches for assembly.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 19:40:42 »
This might honestly pull me away from wkl tkl, so clean.

Offline Funktion

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 23:07:20 »
Excited  ;D

Probably get it before my xeno...

Offline Chumbo

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 01:00:18 »
Is there a discord that we can hop on for updates?

Offline andtar2

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 12:11:24 »
Great 75%! I love the design. I'm all in if the ISO support will be available.

Offline loopaddiction

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 14:10:07 »
I think overall, this is the cleanest looking board designed this year. I can't get over how nice it looks from every angle. No logo/branding is definitely the way to go here.

It would be a dilemma for me to choose between silver and space gray if those 2 colors end up being produced. In my experience, silver is hard to get right and ends up looking cheap for many aluminum products. But if it's properly done and ends up matching those renders, I think it would be impossibly difficult to pass on it.

There are a few other upcoming boards that I've heavily considered, but now have decided to forgo in favor of this one. Looking forward to it's progress!

Offline crykn

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 15:29:49 »
This might honestly pull me away from wkl tkl, so clean.

I tried to make the design as clean as possible  :thumb:

Excited  ;D

Probably get it before my xeno...

Hopefully the GB doesn't take too long, I'm talking with a vendor and a manufacturer right now to hopefully get things sorted out soon.

Is there a discord that we can hop on for updates?

I'm actually working on that. A discord server of some sort will help me to keep people updated more quickly, as well as have a place to pass ideas by people and get faster more consistent feedback.

Great 75%! I love the design. I'm all in if the ISO support will be available.

I'll do my best to make sure ISO is available via some form or fashion. Since I haven't decided on the best option, I'll ask you, which do you think is the better option if ISO plate demand isn't high enough: offer ISO plate files and have people get their own, or offer ISO plate with limited material choices at a slightly higher price? I want to get feedback from users towards which they would prefer.

I think overall, this is the cleanest looking board designed this year. I can't get over how nice it looks from every angle. No logo/branding is definitely the way to go here.

It would be a dilemma for me to choose between silver and space gray if those 2 colors end up being produced. In my experience, silver is hard to get right and ends up looking cheap for many aluminum products. But if it's properly done and ends up matching those renders, I think it would be impossibly difficult to pass on it.

There are a few other upcoming boards that I've heavily considered, but now have decided to forgo in favor of this one. Looking forward to it's progress!

Thanks for your opinion, I'm really glad you like it! I should have some pictures of anodization samples with color matching available before the GB to help you decide. I'm going to keep the no logo/branding consistent because I like how clean the design looks without, with a possible exception for a founder's edition if I go that route. I'll explain this more in an official update, but I thought a simple and hopefully still clean bottom weight would be a good accent to distinguish the founders edition for those who want the exterior surface to still be clean but still have a little bit of a logo for supporting the project early on. That is open to consideration though, I'm just tossing out ideas.

Offline iridescent22

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 15:57:40 »
Would definitely join a discord for updates. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions! Any thoughts on colors so far? Really hoping for a rose gold board and this looks perfect.

Offline crykn

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 20:03:04 »
Would definitely join a discord for updates. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions! Any thoughts on colors so far? Really hoping for a rose gold board and this looks perfect.

Alright, I officially created the Discord channel, the link is in the original IC post now, but here is the link! It'll be easier to discuss questions in there!

Offline beekey

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 00:52:54 »
Saw in the FAQ that split space is out. :( Then this is not for me. Good luck, I think this will do well.

Offline Dakk1d

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 01:55:17 »
Looks very good. Personally I'm a fan of 75% keyboards and as someone else mentioned this looks like a 75% version of the Polaris. Which is a good thing!
I will most likely join in if there's an ISO version avail.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 02:41:43 »
(...)offer ISO plate with limited material choices at a slightly higher price ?
I would be perfectly ok with that option. Brass or POM options would be plenty enough. Add files for whoever wants to cut their own plate and that will cover everything.

Offline NoxNoxNox

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 13:43:46 »
This board is pretty much the ideal 75% for me, very excited for this GB.   

Offline Tekniqs

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 20:11:25 »
i'm all in on this

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 11 September 2019, 21:18:49 »
Saw in the FAQ that split space is out. :( Then this is not for me. Good luck, I think this will do well.
I just checked the FAQ again and there’s no mention of “no split spacebars”?

Offline sysfury

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 01:00:00 »

It's in the FAQ in Discord. It might be updated more recently.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline beekey

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 12 September 2019, 01:01:28 »
Just checked again, it is at the bottom:
Will there be split space support?
No, there are currently no plans for split space support. The benefit is not as noticeable for a 75% layout, and the PCB design has important components under the space bar which would conflict with split space support.