Author Topic: [IC] GMK Café (Group Buy Starts on October 1st!)  (Read 133298 times)

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
Re: [IC] GMK Café (Vendor Announced)
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 01:45:32 »
Great idea, and I love sets with brown, but I agree with those who say this set has too stark of a contrast to look coffee-themed, and also on the generic side.  The dark brown modifiers against those alpha caps will look black in most lighting conditions, unless there’s bright light over the keyboard.  Cappuccino foam color for alphas and a tad lighter mod color (for beans), and maybe some red-brown accents for cinnamon (I don’t do that to my coffee, but it’s a topping option).

+1

I really wish OP would recognize this issue. This set is going to look like b&w under most lighting conditions, which is a shame, since a few shades lighter would really make for a nice brown color set.

Patience man, the IC was posted just a week ago :)
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 02:09:06 »
Great idea, and I love sets with brown, but I agree with those who say this set has too stark of a contrast to look coffee-themed, and also on the generic side.  The dark brown modifiers against those alpha caps will look black in most lighting conditions, unless there’s bright light over the keyboard.  Cappuccino foam color for alphas and a tad lighter mod color (for beans), and maybe some red-brown accents for cinnamon (I don’t do that to my coffee, but it’s a topping option).

+1

I really wish OP would recognize this issue. This set is going to look like b&w under most lighting conditions, which is a shame, since a few shades lighter would really make for a nice brown color set.
Keep in mind that everyone is judging from the renders, whereas the runner has actual samples.

Direct sun:

Less direct:

The mod colour is hard to depict in renders.

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 11:35:23 »
Thanks for posting those - I can't answer any better than you just did, Eski =)

Offline etca2z

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 12:26:12 »
Nice set but can't use on HHKB layout with R4 two 1.5u Super and two 1u Alt.

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 13:08:54 »

Thanks for checking out the set! Can you help me understand what you mean about not having the HHKB layout? Sorry =\ I need clarification on that comment

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 13:51:06 »

Thanks for checking out the set! Can you help me understand what you mean about not having the HHKB layout? Sorry =\ I need clarification on that comment

I think they want 100% accurate to the Topre HHKB.

MX HHKB is 1u Supers and 1.5u Alts so can't really please both.

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 14:50:40 »

Got it. I'll look into adding support. This is why we have IC threads, after all =)

Offline Langelandia

Re: [IC] GMK Café (Deskmat Poll Added)
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 08:41:33 »
Added in poll for potential deskmat options.

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 09:07:28 »

Less direct:
Show Image

Still looks black and not brown to me. You can't expect everyone to have perfect lightning in their room/work place and have it as on the first picture :-/

Offline ysys

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 09:41:20 »
Am I the only one who can SMELL it?

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 09:44:44 »
Am I the only one who can SMELL it?

Every time i open this thread there's covfefe smell  :eek:

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 10:25:06 »

Less direct:
Show Image

Still looks black and not brown to me. You can't expect everyone to have perfect lightning in their room/work place and have it as on the first picture :-/

Indeed, those two photographs illustrate the need for very bright light to not get the "it's basically black and cream/white" effect. 

In any event, if the set has a lot of support as is, I wish this IC and future GB best of luck!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 12:02:29 »
Can I take this opportunity to remind people what coffee looks like:

I dunno about you guys, but it looks pretty "black" not chocolate brown to me.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 12:13:18 »
The coffee color (and bean color) can vary depending on the variety and degree of roasting of coffee beans, if you want to be pedantic.  Also a lot of Europeans drink it with milk.

Coffee beans start out light and get darker as they are roasted:

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 12:30:37 »
The coffee color (and bean color) can vary depending on the variety and degree of roasting of coffee beans, if you want to be pedantic.  Also a lot of Europeans drink it with milk.

Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

I don't disagree that coffee can be lighter, but the argument of many comments seem to be "too dark for coffee", which is patently untrue. I can understand people wanting a lighter brown set, but this clearly isn't it.

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 13:24:00 »

Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

I don't disagree that coffee can be lighter, but the argument of many comments seem to be "too dark for coffee", which is patently untrue. I can understand people wanting a lighter brown set, but this clearly isn't it.

While this set isn't it in the current iteration. I worry the goal of being as close to standard black coffee as possible in the color, when applied to plastic, will end up just looking black black in most lightings.

If the color were changed to a color more in alignment with the rich browns of coffee beans (like the ones photo posted above) it'd look better in all lighting I think.

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline Capsy

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 13:40:11 »

Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

While this set isn't it in the current iteration. I worry the goal of being as close to standard black coffee as possible in the color, when applied to plastic, will end up just looking black black in most lightings.

If the color were changed to a color more in alignment with the rich browns of coffee beans (like the ones photo posted above) it'd look better in all lighting I think.

I think making this set with a richer brown takes it very close to chocolatier and at that point, there's no purpose left to it. Coffee looks black in most light situations from afar which is exactly what's happening in the pictures here too. But as OP can confirm too, the brown is distinct IRL.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 May 2019, 13:44:53 by Capsy »

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 14:03:06 »

Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

I think making this set with a richer brown takes it very close to chocolatier and at that point, there's no purpose left to it. Coffee looks black in most light situations from afar which is exactly what's happening in the pictures here too. But as OP can confirm too, the brown is distinct IRL.

Agreed. At the end of the day Langelandia is the designer it's their call :)

Offline Aphidsc

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 20:16:30 »
Sorry for the off topic question, where can I go to find out more about that Dharma keyboard from the renders? Google doesn't return anything meaningful.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 20:30:19 »
Sorry for the off topic question, where can I go to find out more about that Dharma keyboard from the renders? Google doesn't return anything meaningful.

It's an upcoming project:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99408.msg2723154#msg2723154

Offline Aphidsc

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 20:43:51 »
Oh wow looks like it's a long way to go.

Offline jedidood

• aka neovisual
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 23:28:35 »
I am digging it, a must buy for me!!

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 06:43:38 »

+1

Keep in mind that everyone is judging from the renders, whereas the runner has actual samples.

Direct sun:
Show Image

Less direct:
Show Image

This is just proving the point. How many people use their keyboard in direct sunlight? Indoors, this will basically look black. If that’s what OP and buyers like, that’s fine. Just pointing it out.

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 06:46:29 »

Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

I don’t see how having lighter brown mods and alpha legends makes this set look like chocolatier, when chocolatier has all brown alphas. I also didn’t say it has to be as light as chocolatier.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 May 2019, 06:54:47 by rmendis »

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 06:53:57 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Yes, coffee can look black. It can also look light brown, dark brown, and pretty much every shade inbetween. We have plenty of black (WoB/BoW) keysets to choose from, but if that’s the look the designer and others want, I’m not saying it’s wrong, just that it’s going to look black in most conditions.

220178-0
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 May 2019, 07:01:21 by rmendis »

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 09:31:23 »

In it's current state it looks a lot like GMK Monochrome, albeit with a more toned down white. I don't think that was the goal either. In my opinion, we have enough black/white keysets around and I'd love some more brown keysets.

Yes, I do understand that coffee can look black but then GMK Monochrome or GMK WoB are both coffee keysets, period.

Offline t0ch

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 11:57:52 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Yes, coffee can look black. It can also look light brown, dark brown, and pretty much every shade inbetween. We have plenty of black (WoB/BoW) keysets to choose from, but if that’s the look the designer and others want, I’m not saying it’s wrong, just that it’s going to look black in most conditions.

(Attachment Link)

I personally like the dark brown modifier color. The bright white alphas seems to be the issue for me. The stark contrast between alpha and mod colors give it that GMK Monochrome look.
What if the alpha and accent colors were swapped? I think that light brown alphas would pull out the brown in the mods and the white accents would look great.

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 16:10:46 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

(Attachment Link)

I personally like the dark brown modifier color. The bright white alphas seems to be the issue for me. The stark contrast between alpha and mod colors give it that GMK Monochrome look.
What if the alpha and accent colors were swapped? I think that light brown alphas would pull out the brown in the mods and the white accents would look great.

This is actually the big reason why I chose L9 for the alpha color of the set. When you compare it to the other bright whites of GMK, it's much warmer and less harsh - especially in person. This is, unfortunately, a case of the real-life product being more noticeable in person due to the hues' subtle nature. All of this is good conversation and I'm glad you're bringing it up. I will be at the Seattle meetup with the sample colors for people to see in-person and I hope to wrangle someone much better at photography than me to get some good photos in different lightings to show off that subtlety.

I'm not trying to be a jerk when I say this is good conversation either - these are valid concerns and points about the colors, but we're confident we can match to the RAL samples we have and the set will look very great, despite screens not doing the colors too much justice. There have been sets in the past not match well to what color was originally intended so I understand the concerns. With us joining group buys in the community, we are putting trust in the people to deliver on what they're selling and I hope that y'all will trust Upas from Cannonkeys and myself to deliver.

As always, thanks for checking out the set - I hope you like it enough to buy in when GB time happens, but I also understand if you choose not to. As the great Nathan Kim says, it's about preference =)

I hope all those attending Keycon have a great time and please travel safely!

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
    • Ashkeebs Lubing Service & Shop
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 16:23:30 »
Honestly, I'd say so long as this isn't GMK Plum or Necro we're probably going to be okay. You know I love the set, but perhaps there's a slightly brighter RAL that we could see and maybe that will work better with natural indoor lighting. The biggest problem with GMK Phantom is that it's purple in direct sunlight, but basically black in indoor lighting.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 16:25:27 »
Honestly, I'd say so long as this isn't GMK Plum or Necro we're probably going to be okay. You know I love the set, but perhaps there's a slightly brighter RAL that we could see and maybe that will work better with natural indoor lighting. The biggest problem with GMK Phantom is that it's purple in direct sunlight, but basically black in indoor lighting.
Not the mustard yellow?  :p

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
    • Ashkeebs Lubing Service & Shop
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 16:30:01 »
Not the mustard yellow?  :p

But the runner was happy with it so that's what matters!

Offline Capsy

« Reply #131 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 16:34:27 »

In it's current state it looks a lot like GMK Monochrome, albeit with a more toned down white. I don't think that was the goal either. In my opinion, we have enough black/white keysets around and I'd love some more brown keysets.

Yes, I do understand that coffee can look black but then GMK Monochrome or GMK WoB are both coffee keysets, period.
I don't know how that sample looks black but anyways.

Also, Monochrome is a brighter black and even the renders don't look like monochrome.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #132 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 01:14:54 »

Exactly. This set, without changes, is going to suffer the same problem as GMK Phantom. Both the Phantom dark purple and the RAL dark brown here just look like black in most lighting conditions. A tad lighter brown would be perfect. Sometimes you have to make adjustments to accommodate the reality of how colored plastic looks under a variety of lighting conditions, not just a single color chip in bright sunlight. Unfortunate, but it's the prerogative of the GB runner. Hope it works out for everyone, and hope to see more brown GMK sets. Cheers!

Edit: RAL 8014 is an example of a brown hue that would be more forgiving in indoor lighting conditions
https://www.ralcolorchart.com/ral-classic/ral-8014-sepia-brown
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 May 2019, 01:27:24 by rmendis »

Offline etca2z

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 02:45:42 »

Many Mac users would prefer 1.5u Super and 1u Alt, with the Super keys next to spacebar, like in the Apple keyboard.

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #134 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 05:04:24 »
So, to hopefully help with the color comparison, janglad made a quick side-by-side so people can see Café colors vs CR and WS2.

« Last Edit: Fri, 31 May 2019, 05:07:33 by Langelandia »

Offline lakeboredom

Re: [IC] GMK Café (Added Better Color Comparison)
« Reply #135 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 05:32:35 »
Nice, that really helps with visualizing the brown. Think I'm in.

Offline Bhk1004

« Reply #136 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 07:33:43 »
OP, you need to go darker. its too brown. Black coffee is definitely darker. WTFFFFFFFFFF

Offline Capsy

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 07:54:01 »
That is definitely two monochrome caps on the left.

Offline kgorin

• Formerly aka_gk
« Reply #138 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 08:41:07 »
That is definitely two monochrome caps on the left.

not sure if sarcastic or

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #139 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 09:12:50 »
Well done set! The accents remind me of coffee ice cream. I think the dark brown works fine after seeing the comparison, I'd almost want a "creamier" white for the alphas.. something like GMK Led Zeps. Makes sense to use the stock white though.

Offline neutralstate

« Reply #140 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 09:43:06 »
another possibility is to use the accent color for the modifier text, thereby making the set "pop" a little more.

Agree with the comments that the current modifier brown will likely look black in most cases, if you need to put something totally black next to a color in order to create the contrast for most eyes to recognize the difference, then its likely just gonna look black when the contrast is gone and the lighting is poor.

of course, these are just suggestions. this is Langelandia's set and its up to Langelandia to decide what is the desired look!

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #141 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 13:12:45 »

+1

That said, I'd gladly a buy an Enter/Esc/Arrows accent kit in that nice coffee brown color ;)
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline buhbang

« Reply #142 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 15:02:13 »
so is it confirmed if this kit will come with coffee bean smell infused into keycaps?

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #143 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 21:38:59 »
so is it confirmed if this kit will come with coffee bean smell infused into keycaps?
Currently working on that tech; however, there may be some scent-related surprise(s) planned...

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #144 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 05:36:03 »
Currently working on that tech; however, there may be some scent-related surprise(s) planned...
Come on, be scentsible

Offline Minterly

« Reply #145 on: Mon, 03 June 2019, 03:43:27 »
When will this project be named to GMK Covfefe?

Offline 1023andy

« Reply #146 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 01:50:41 »
No Asian vendor yet?

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 08:30:16 »
Cool set, I'm in for one.
What would be timescales for this?
In a month or two?

It reminds me of that Filco SA set - it looked like almost black, but when you looked into it, it was actually dark brown and kinda off-white/cream legends.

There was also Coffee set in the past, which in my opinion, its brown was too bright..

« Last Edit: Thu, 06 June 2019, 08:33:40 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 16:55:47 »
In a month or two?
We will announce the GB dates SoonTM - we've got some things to finalize, but this shouldn't complicate summer plans if you're in for some of the great sets coming out soon.

Offline despairsray

« Reply #149 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 17:23:43 »
In a month or two?
We will announce the GB dates SoonTM - we've got some things to finalize, but this shouldn't complicate summer plans if you're in for some of the great sets coming out soon.

Does that mean that the GB will more-likely be in Aug-Sept?

I absolutely love this set, I think its cleaner and subtle than the other coffee set. Definitely in for one.