Author Topic: Typing on all metal keycaps  (Read 5668 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Typing on all metal keycaps
« on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 12:33:56 »
I have some metal keycaps on my arrow cluster. I kinda like it.  Anybody use metal keycaps full time on most of their keys?

FYI, I know that I need heavier springs for this type of thing.  I have black and green springs in my board.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Eugene45

Re: Typing on all metal keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 08:37:12 »
Could be great to have, how is the feel when you tipe on it ?

The problem could be to source a whole set, you could try to find a CAD file and take it to your local lathe and milling factory and craft them there.

And then you have the cost factor, Aluminium / Copper is not cheap this days ..

lmao, cut the French some slack, they gave you a big statue

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 08:43:10 »
At the first meetup I went to, tipo33 had a full metal Poker. All metal caps. It was...weird. Like the typing experience was nice but he had zinc caps I think and they were so cold. I preferred the Titanium caps on The_Beast's Poker which felt warmer.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 08:45:50 »
This guy did it a while ago and answered a lot of questions about it.

Personally I'd say it would be too heavy to type on all the time, but I'm a light typist.

Offline Eugene45

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 09:12:36 »
Hum " The keyboard weighs 2.36lb / 1.07kg, minus the case and cable. "

How much weight is a so case ?
And then you think yeah a Model M with copper / aluminium caps could be great, then you think about the money and all that.

Yeah Yeah dream.

lmao, cut the French some slack, they gave you a big statue

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 09:52:19 »
Thanks for the replies.  I remember tipo33's board, that was awesome.  His springs were not heavy enough for the return on many of the larger keys.  I think that I can get most of the caps via EBay and massdrop, except the modifiers.  Would be a pricey endeavor, no doubt.

Offline Data

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 11:44:40 »
At the first meetup I went to, tipo33 had a full metal Poker. All metal caps. It was...weird. Like the typing experience was nice but he had zinc caps I think and they were so cold. I preferred the Titanium caps on The_Beast's Poker which felt warmer.

A sculpted, full titanium cap set with engraved Cherry legends is my dream.  But I'd have to win the lotto first.   :p

I bet aluminum would be cheaper and have better thermal properties than both Ti and Zn, but still stupid expensive, especially for a sculpted set.  Plus Al is really easy to anodize.  I'll have to try it one day...

Offline Ramage

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 August 2015, 15:53:40 »

How cold are we talking here? I have an aluminum mouse pad and that thing (although absolutely wonderful to use a mouse on) gets outrageously cold in comparison to the room temperature. Was it uncomfortable on your fingers?

Offline fenwick

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 18:03:26 »
How cold are we talking here? I have an aluminum mouse pad and that thing (although absolutely wonderful to use a mouse on) gets outrageously cold in comparison to the room temperature. Was it uncomfortable on your fingers?
Just to clarify, its not that they are physically colder than the room, metal just conducts heat away from your body much faster than plastic.  At a room temp of 60 degrees they will feel very cold but if your room is 98 degrees they won't feel cold at all.

A metal with low thermal conductivity would be better, explains why the titanium caps felt warmer.

Offline Armagedda

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 05:15:37 »
I've spent a lot of time typing and gaming with a full set of zinc caps with an aluminium space bar so I'll weigh in and give my opinion for any interested parties.

If you think you would like typing on the cool metallic surface rather than plastic, then you probably will.

I spent a fair bit of time with a full set of zinc caps on my board and loved it. The cool feeling of the metal is excellent, I find anyway, and definitely enjoyable in the warmer months when you come in from the heat and sit down to a nice cool board to type on. I never noticed them being uncomfortably cold or anything like that in winter, but if you're the type that sleeps under an electric blanket and wears USB powered electric mittens then I would definitely avoid as the cool touch is always there. Personal preference warning I guess.

Also, if you have sweaty hands I would avoid the metal caps at all costs. My hands aren't very sweaty at all, but during the summer months when I get scorched by the harsh Strayan sun I do get a bit sweatier than usual and when this moistness extended to the fingers it was pretty noticeable on the metal caps. Naturally I washed mine a couple of times that summer.

Something to take into consideration is they absolutely WILL make a noticeable difference on the perceived weight of your switches. I spent most of my time running these caps on blues which was pretty good but as someone who prefers heavier switches (MX greens are my current config) the metal caps were definitely noticeable. They did lighten the weight of the switches, though after I adjusted to it I didn't find this to be a problem. I wouldn't count this a negative overall, but it was not my preference, which was why I thoroughly preferred the zinc caps on my greens, your mileage may vary.

The result of them being a bit too 'light' was the same across reds and browns, I never bothered to try them on my blacks or tactile greys. Though I imagine the outcome would be the same; the metal caps when used on a switch with heavy springs feels quite like the same switch being used with plastic caps and lighter springs. Though with the latter config you lose the luxurious feel of metal caps underneath your fingers, which is really what the metal caps are all about. Luxury: the zinc caps I used looked like a million dollarydoos and felt like it too, to be honest I would still be using them but I switched back to plastic when I got my Miami caps and the greens feel better to me without the metal on them and I love the Miami colours. Something to bear in mind if you are in the market I guess.

Ultimately if you are interested in a set of metal caps I would recommend that you consider all this. They are definitely worth the investment, if you even THINK it might be your thing I would say go for it. Just PLEASE bear in mind that they will absolutely throw out the perceived weight of the switches you're using. So if the idea of using lighter switches is revolting to you then I would recommend you wait until you have some heavy springs/switches to try them. Otherwise, I would recommend using an all metal cap set.

I am actually selling my Zinc caps and Alu space bars in the classifieds.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73924.0

I hope some of you got some perspective out of the 'review' I've posted. This was definitely not a shill post, but take me at a grain of salt. Either way,if any of you want me to expand just sing out and I'll post any thoughts!

Offline divito

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 19:53:32 »
I agree with pretty much everything said above. I have a 37 key and full zinc set as well and I have enjoyed using them. Most of the stuff about them wearing out are primarily overblown unless you're not interested in taking care of your possessions, or if you grab the legended ones.

I primarily used them on a Green board and a Clear board and they do make things lighter, which isn't altogether unpleasant, but if I had put them on Blues or Browns, I wouldn't have liked that as lighter switches bug me. I've ended up moving to a Varmilo with Tacticle Greys but haven't yet tired the zincs on them.

I'm currently waiting for the aluminum case from Massdrop for the Varmilo and putting it all together with the zincs. Really can't wait.

Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 21:03:59 »
Thanks for your reviews.  Armagedda, I saw you classifieds listing, but it is a tad more than I should be spending right now, plus that shipping from Australia.  Ouch.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 00:12:23 »
I have a full metal poker with all zinc caps. red switches. Not ideal for many I wouldn't think but I love the way it feels. Makes the Reds SUPER light. I used it for a long time and I still think that I type better on it than my greens with SP caps.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Armagedda

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 21:48:04 »
Thanks for your reviews.  Armagedda, I saw you classifieds listing, but it is a tad more than I should be spending right now, plus that shipping from Australia.  Ouch.

Happy to be of assistance with the review.

Fair enough, I understand completely. I have passed up on many a great item as the shipping can sometimes just make it a tad unjustifiable.

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:24:06 »
Then you don't want to touch them ever in winter xD
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.