Author Topic: Hi from Australia!  (Read 3322 times)

Offline luthien

Hi from Australia!
« on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 09:06:34 »
Hi guys! I've been lurking here for a while but I noticed I hadn't made an intro post to the community. I want to become more active on GH so this would be the best place to start!

I only got into keyboards in the middle of last year when I was building a new PC (you can see it here http://luthariel.tumblr.com/post/137686755481/) and I didn't understand the difference between mechanical keyboards and the run of the mill normal ones. At the moment I'm using a very battered Razer Lycosa - the WASD lettering has completely worn away, and I am close to making the leap to a mechanical one very soon . Because I am stupid I got the PBT sunset keycap set when the massdrop was available, even though I don't have a keyboard. :-[

As for what I will go for - I'd absolutely love to get a TKL keyboard with brown mx switches, with a white or clear acrylic case. I adore keyboards that have RGB lighting and an acrylic case so the light shines around the outside, and if I can match up the rainbow lighting on my case and desk with the board that'd be phenomenal (dat unicorn vomit). I wasn't brave enough to join the group buy for the Compact SQ1800 because I'm not experienced enough to put everything together. I did learn to build my computer 100% on my own but I'm terrified I'd mess up soldering or anything and get left with a brick.

I've never been lucky enough to get any, but I also really enjoy artisan keycaps! I would love to eventually have a row of F keys all blinged up, and my favourite creator is KeyKollectiv at the moment. I was pretty cut that I missed out on the gummi bears  :'(

So yeah, I really hope that I can be more active in the community! My wallet doesn't, but that ship has sailed a long time ago.

Offline Elaeagnifolia

• Click Quack.
Re: Hi from Australia!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 15:40:21 »
Welcome! I'm pretty much a lurker and fairly new too, so we're kinda in the same boat.  :D

The board you want to go for sounds like my dream keyboard as well. I love the keyboards with frost white cases and RGB underlighting. I plan on buying parts for a Winkeyless soonTM, but that'll be after The WhiteFox DIY keyboard I ordered comes in March/April. I was actually really scared about soldering too. However, I coughed up a few bucks last week for Techkey's business card, took some of no-name switches from a switch tester I had, and asked a family member to show me how to solder. I managed to pick it up in a couple minutes and got the business card to work, so now I have a lot more confidence in soldering actual switches on a keyboard. Perfect? No, but hey, the business card works! Now to find more things to practice on...

So from someone who used feel the same way as you about soldering a week ago, don't think of soldering as a blocker to your dream keyboard.  :thumb:

I've never been lucky enough to get any, but I also really enjoy artisan keycaps! I would love to eventually have a row of F keys all blinged up, and my favourite creator is KeyKollectiv at the moment. I was pretty cut that I missed out on the gummi bears

Do you mean KK's Key-walas and Kill-walas? If you do, Round 2 ended a few days earlier, but Round 3 is coming up soon (8:00PM, Feb. 5th to 8:00PM, Feb. 6th (Pacific Standard Time)), so you still have a chance to enter then. :)

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 03:11:54 »
More Aussies the better :) Anything to stem the flow of razer crap at our stores haha

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 13:10:13 »
Hi, aw I clicked the link hoping for a computer tour!  ^-^

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 03:52:02 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Another Perth member - there's a lot of you guys now :)

You'll probably always have an imbalance between number of keyboards and number of keycap sets.  I prefer the imbalance in favour of the keycap sets, then I can swap them around on the keyboards I have.

Most of the keyboards with the lighting you describe tend to be Korean customs, either expensive or DIY.  Or both.

Any idea which is your favourite switch yet?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline luthien

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 06:35:15 »
Pardon the super late reply! I got accepted into a Masters course very recently so it looks like I may genuinely need a better keyboard now (or I’ll keep telling myself that)

However, I coughed up a few bucks last week for Techkey's business card, took some of no-name switches from a switch tester I had, and asked a family member to show me how to solder.

This is such a good idea! The business card will be a bit more expensive for me with the Aussie exchange rate and the shipping, but I will have to look into this. Once I figure out how to solder properly I’ll be much more confident! (also I missed out on the Key-walas/Kill-walas ;___;)

More Aussies the better :) Anything to stem the flow of razer crap at our stores haha

So much razer crap! I admittedly bought the Lycosa keyboard (and the mamba mouse) way back because I didn't know any better, but I don't think I'll ever touch a razer product again.

I had that thought once I included the link! This is what is has so far:

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK S ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GALAX GeForce GTX 970 4GB HOF Video Card
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case
Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer
NZXT Hue+ RGB Lighting Kit

I'd like to get another 970 hopefully in the future, but super proud of it for the time being!

Welcome to Geekhack!

You'll probably always have an imbalance between number of keyboards and number of keycap sets.  I prefer the imbalance in favour of the keycap sets, then I can swap them around on the keyboards I have.

Most of the keyboards with the lighting you describe tend to be Korean customs, either expensive or DIY.  Or both.

I didn't know there were more Perth members! I'll need to keep an eye out!

Most of the keyboards that I have taken a fancy to have been Korean customs, so I think it might be inevitable that I end up with a very expensive keyboard or a lot of learning to do!

I think as for switches I'm leaning towards Cherry MX browns or reds?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 12:59:01 »
Pardon the super late reply! I got accepted into a Masters course very recently so it looks like I may genuinely need a better keyboard now (or I’ll keep telling myself that)

However, I coughed up a few bucks last week for Techkey's business card, took some of no-name switches from a switch tester I had, and asked a family member to show me how to solder.

This is such a good idea! The business card will be a bit more expensive for me with the Aussie exchange rate and the shipping, but I will have to look into this. Once I figure out how to solder properly I’ll be much more confident! (also I missed out on the Key-walas/Kill-walas ;___;)

So much razer crap! I admittedly bought the Lycosa keyboard (and the mamba mouse) way back because I didn't know any better, but I don't think I'll ever touch a razer product again.

I had that thought once I included the link! This is what is has so far:

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK S ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GALAX GeForce GTX 970 4GB HOF Video Card
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case
Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer
NZXT Hue+ RGB Lighting Kit

I'd like to get another 970 hopefully in the future, but super proud of it for the time being!

Welcome to Geekhack!

Most of the keyboards that I have taken a fancy to have been Korean customs, so I think it might be inevitable that I end up with a very expensive keyboard or a lot of learning to do!

Hey, nice rig.  :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 20:06:15 »

What are you mastering in?

I tried reds, but found them way too light.  My first couple of modern mechs has MX blues, but after trying blacks and greens I found the blues way too light.

Now I find that I definitely prefer heavier switches - blacks, clears and buckling spring in particular.

I just wish HHKB was a bit heavier :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 February 2016, 21:23:42 »

Master of disaster

Offline luthien

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 23:01:32 »
Hey, nice rig.  :)

Thank you! I'm super proud of it :)

I tried reds, but found them way too light.  My first couple of modern mechs has MX blues, but after trying blacks and greens I found the blues way too light.

Now I find that I definitely prefer heavier switches - blacks, clears and buckling spring in particular.

I'm going to be studying a masters of sexology! My background is psychology and I've already done the diploma, so it'll be done at the end of the year.

I think at the moment for switches I prefer light ones but I also have weak, weak fingers so it's probably for the best!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 19:33:44 »

Master of disaster

Sounds like me :))

I'm going to be studying a masters of sexology! My background is psychology and I've already done the diploma, so it'll be done at the end of the year.

I think at the moment for switches I prefer light ones but I also have weak, weak fingers so it's probably for the best!

Sounds ... interesting.  How would you apply that as a career?  Would you end up working for a government department or something surveying the population?  Or a hospital, maybe?