Author Topic: Greetings from Indiana!  (Read 2888 times)

Offline n0bs

Greetings from Indiana!
« on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 21:26:48 »
Hi all,

I've been a mechanical keyboard enthusiast since November of 2015 with the purchase of my Logitech G710+. I got it during a Black Friday deal, but that purchase has apparently cost me a lot more than it saved me. I just bought a Rosewill RK-900v2 last week for my office desk. They're still both on the original keysets, but I hope to change soon. I'm also planning on building a 40% keyboard sometime soon-ish, but I've had to resort to producing my own top plates since the Quark is no longer being sold on OLKB.

I also have the same username over on Reddit and Deskthority.

Offline Ephemeral

Re: Greetings from Indiana!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 23:01:48 »
Hello fellow Indiana resident!
I just joined as well and am also fairly new to the hobby. Good luck on your 40%er, I'm sure people on here would appreciate seeing how you get along with that.
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 03:49:46 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Not sure you'll be able to find a replacement keycap set for the Logitech - it has a non-standard bottom row.  The Rosewill is much more standard, and much easier to find keycaps for.

What switches have you got in those two, and what switches are you planning for your 40%?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline n0bs

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 08:42:07 »
Not sure you'll be able to find a replacement keycap set for the Logitech - it has a non-standard bottom row.

Yeah, I know about the G710+ weird bottom row. My only option seems to be Max Keyboards' custom keyset. One of their options for the bottom row fits the G710+.

What switches have you got in those two, and what switches are you planning for your 40%?

My two current keyboards both have Cherry MX Brown switches. I'm still not decided on what switches the 40% will have, but I'll probably go with Black or Brown.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 16:01:27 »
Hi, so what will you use your 40% keyboard for? Welcome  :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 20:03:18 »
Not sure you'll be able to find a replacement keycap set for the Logitech - it has a non-standard bottom row.

Yeah, I know about the G710+ weird bottom row. My only option seems to be Max Keyboards' custom keyset. One of their options for the bottom row fits the G710+.

My two current keyboards both have Cherry MX Brown switches. I'm still not decided on what switches the 40% will have, but I'll probably go with Black or Brown.

Blacks are linear, and somewhat heavier than browns.  If you ave accustomed to browns, the blacks might come as a bit of a shock ;)

But it is good to try different switches.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline n0bs

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 13:16:45 »
Hi, so what will you use your 40% keyboard for? Welcome  :)

I'm gonna be using at as a portable that I can use whenever I'm away from my desk.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 14:31:25 »
Oh cheers, I've been wondering what people do with those. That makes total sense

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 00:01:14 »
Hello and Welcome!  I see you have some interest in 40% keyboards.  I am looking at hopefully launching my group buy in about a month for a 40% kit with custom aluminum case.  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79264.0

if you're interested, that's awesome! if not that's cool too.  anyways, welcome to the community!

Offline n0bs

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:30:32 »
Oh cheers, I've been wondering what people do with those. That makes total sense

Some people use them as their daily driver, but I use the numpad and arrows too much. I prefer a full size keyboard when possible.

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:32:25 »
I love my numpad and arrows on function layers!

Offline n0bs

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:33:55 »
Hello and Welcome!  I see you have some interest in 40% keyboards.  I am looking at hopefully launching my group buy in about a month for a 40% kit with custom aluminum case.  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79264.0

if you're interested, that's awesome! if not that's cool too.  anyways, welcome to the community!

I'm actually wrapping up a group buy on Reddit this weekend. I'm pretty excited to finally get the orders placed next week. Here's the link if you want to see the board https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/44xy9g/gb_introducing_the_bantam44_a_rowstaggered/#content

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 17:42:55 »
Noice!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 19:31:08 »

Some people use them as their daily driver, but I use the numpad and arrows too much. I prefer a full size keyboard when possible.

You can always get a separate stand-alone numpad ...