Author Topic: Left Handed Numberpads (Also for right handed people)  (Read 4360 times)

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
Left Handed Numberpads (Also for right handed people)
« on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 02:54:03 »
So for the past few months, I've been running a 65% and just got a separate number pad that basically stays at my workstation. I'm right-handed and tried the numberpad on the right, set up like a normal 104 key layout which didn't feel optimal, but then tried it on the left, which felt a ton better. With the number pad on the left, there was a ton more room and I could use my mouse a lot more easily since I didn't have to reach the distance every time I switched from typing to using the mouse. Is this why a lot of people like the TKL and 60% layouts? With the numberpad on the left though, I find that I'm a little slower than I am using it with my right hand, but I was also wondering, since this was something that was mentioned, was how your left hand has a mirror image of your right and that it would be better with a mirrored numberpad? I find that I'm using the numberpad differently with my left (thumb on enter, not using my pinky at all) and was wondering, since at some point it was brought up, would it be easier to relearn the number pad with your left hand and the standard layout or would it be better to have a mirrored numberpad thats already been familiarized with your right hand?

It also seems more practical since it also allows you to work a little more efficiently as I've found when I fill out forms or spreadsheets constantly moving my hand from the mouse to the number pad and back which seems a little inefficient. With a layout like this or a 60% with an external numberpad on the left, it's much easier to work since you can still move your mouse around while filling out values and such if you work with numbers.

I've designed and figured out a layout that would give me the 60% and the numberpad and was wondering if I could have some input on it. I might be running a GB for it later on down the road if there's enough interest, but I just wanted to see if there was any way to improve function with some rearrangements.
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Left Handed Numberpads (Also for right handed people)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 05:24:31 »
Definitely mirrored, because of digit distribution—esp. 1 in a relatively bad spot—and overall utilization of the little finger.

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 20:28:27 »
Definitely mirrored, because of digit distribution—esp. 1 in a relatively bad spot—and overall utilization of the little finger.

I can see how that would be if you were left handed since using the pinky is pretty natural on a right hand number pad for me, but for the left handed setup, wouldn't be better to just have control with your thumb?
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 05:12:35 »
"control with your thumb"? I don't follow.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 12:15:57 »
Consider spaceFN and numberpad qweasdyxc
or whereever..
Its comfortable, more on the dox
Winter is coming.

Offline Vladimir

• Professional Dream Crusher
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 11:04:52 »
I've designed and figured out a layout that would give me the 60% and the numberpad and was wondering if I could have some input on it. I might be running a GB for it later on down the road if there's enough interest, but I just wanted to see if there was any way to improve function with some rearrangements.
Show Image

It's a interesting discussion, but why jump to "running a GB" already? It's just the beginning of the thought yet...
Anyway, here are a few similar KBs:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75786

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=89345

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/53vmml/ive_been_thinking_of_doing_a_custom_left_hand/

168515-0
http://www.trackballworld.com/a4tech_kbs_29_left_handed_a_frame_keyboard_wired_usb.aspx

https://evoluent.com/wp-content/themes/evoluent/images/large_products/kb1.jpg
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 May 2017, 11:13:35 by Vladimir »

Matias Mini Quiet Pro              Noppoo Nano 75-S Brown