Author Topic: [IC] DAN60 - 60% Gummy + Top Mount (UPDATE 29/11/2021)  (Read 11411 times)

Offline KEYE

[IC] DAN60 - 60% Gummy + Top Mount (UPDATE 29/11/2021)
« on: Sat, 07 August 2021, 13:49:34 »
Hello everyone,

DAN60 is a 60% keyboard with both a gummy mount and a top mount keyboard.

These are machined in-house!!(In Malaysia) ;D

Round 1 Prototyping:
More
I made 2 prototypes for the first round. During the first round of prototyping, I used what I call a "bones" system to construct the case. The advantage of the "bones" system is that I can adjust the gasket pillar position and pillar height without making the whole new frame. Other than that, I can try different colors at a cheaper price. The prototypes were sent to my friends at Rebult and they gave me some very useful feedback. To sum it up, I am not happy with how the anodizing turned out because as many people know, anodizing is a chemical reaction so it's impossible to perfectly color match all parts. Other than that, the front height is taller than ideal.

Below are the pictures from round 1 of prototyping:
273734-0
273736-1
273738-2
273740-3
273742-4
273744-5

Round 2 Prototyping:
More
In the second round of prototyping, I changed up the internals completely. This helped reduce the front height to 17.39mm. Furthermore, I discarded the "bone" system so that the layers will have a uniform anodization color. The top and bottom layers now look more symmetrical, and the middle layer is thinner. This gives the keyboard a classier look compared to the first-round prototypes.

Below are the pictures from round 2 of prototyping:
273746-6

273748-7

273750-8

Round 2 Prototypes Colour:
279130-9
279132-10
279134-11
279136-12
Shiny chamfers attempt:
279142-13
Carrying Case:
279138-14
279140-15

Exploded View
273932-16

Kit Specifications:
1x Case - Top, Mid, and Bottom Layer (6061 Aluminum)
1x Stainless steel weight (Half mirror polished and half machining mark with engraved Qilin)
1x Plate (POM Black or White)
1x PCB (h60 by hineybush)
1x Unified Daughterboard
1x JST Cable
1x O-Ring (50A)
1x Screws (Extras are included in case you lose some)

Kit Information:
Typing Angle: 6.5 Degrees
Front Face Height: 17.39mm

Price: $375-$400
MOQ: 30 units per colour (60 total)
I would like to set the cap at 200 units because this is my first GB I think I should take it slow and steady. It can also be an unlimited group buy as we have many CNC Milling machines (depending on the reception).

There will be an in-stock sale RAFFLE - 4 units
The sound test will be posted as soon as I receive the PCBs from Hiney for the in-stock units!  ;)

IC Form:
IC form
Rebult's Discord - COME JOIN:
Discord invite
MY IG:
Follow for updates

Group Buy Plan:
Step 1: Interest Check
Step 2: Getting the in-stock units ready
Step 3: Fulfill in-stock order before starting GB
Step 4: Get feedback & decide on colors
Step 5: Hopefully start GB by September 29
Step 6: Reach MOQ
Step 7: I start Manufacturing
Step 8: QC and Delivery

Q&A
Design language:
Q: Why the triple-layer?
A: Aesthetic reasons. I want a keyboard that you could easily identify just by seeing the side profile
Q: How does the gummy mount work?
A: By using an o-ring, there will be pressure coming from the internal walls of the keyboard (from the side). Achieving an isolated and "friction fit" keyboard.
Q: Why include a top mount?
A: A top mount would feel stiffer in comparison. As a result, users can use different mounting styles depending on their preferences.
Q: What's different about this keyboard?
A: It has a stainless steel weight that has both a mirror-polished surface and machine marks, something that I have never seen done before other than on my keyboards.
273761-17

273763-18

FAQ questions:
Q: Will you change something small to fit my niche needs?
A: No, not for this run. I have spent a lot of time on this keyboard. Changing something small to fit your niche needs would require me to do some more prototyping which will be very time-consuming and costly. However, feel free to give me suggestions, I will always take the community's input into consideration.
Q: Will you offer something custom like color or layout?
A: Yes, but not for this run. I can do a private commission unit, but that would take time and you will have to contact me privately. I can make the arrangements.
Q: Will you consider increasing the quantity?
A: 200 is my main target but yes. Ideally, a higher MOQ will lead to a lower kit price. The staff at my father's company and the people from Rebult can help me with handle large orders. If the quantity is too large, keyboards will be sent in batches, focusing on those who ordered first.
[/size]
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 November 2021, 11:17:53 by KEYE »

Offline mmayhem17

• Steam profile
Re: [IC] DAN60 - 60% Gummy + Top Mount
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 August 2021, 13:55:13 »
ic form ne avail

Offline KEYE

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 August 2021, 14:01:06 »
The IC form should be available now  :D

Feel free to follow me on IG:
https://www.instagram.com/keye1029/

Sound test of the prototypes from round 1 will be posted by Rebult hopefully next week. (They are busy with their wildlife switch GB. Check those out too. Their new switch designs are pretty cool.)
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 August 2021, 14:08:37 by KEYE »

Offline PhantomKyubii

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 August 2021, 14:56:30 »
What kind of layouts will be supported? :D
Will hhkb be an option?

Offline stewfayew

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 August 2021, 15:39:44 »
I'd love to see more internals of the mounting, do you have any pictures?

You've got a stainless steel weight but you're using 6061 aluminum?

Tell me how this board is different. Is it the mounting styles? You can only use one mounting style at a time you know.
Is it the middle piece? Maybe some people find value in that, but I'm assuming it adds to the cost.

I suggest adding more to your IC form. Like an open question of "any suggestions/comments/questions"

Also most people don't just know Pantone colors off the top of their head.

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 August 2021, 20:50:26 »
Can we see some more pictures of the internals? Like plates, mounting, etc. Maybe an exploded view? Very cool design good luck!

Offline KEYE

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 August 2021, 21:07:19 »

Tell me how this board is different. Is it the mounting styles? You can only use one mounting style at a time you know.
Is it the middle piece? Maybe some people find value in that, but I'm assuming it adds to the cost.

I suggest adding more to your IC form. Like an open question of "any suggestions/comments/questions"

I'm sorry but I am curious, is there an issue with using 6061 aluminum with stainless steel? I chose to use aluminum 6061 because out of all the aluminum grades, I like the anodizing finish the most with 6061. It brings out a sharper color. 6061 aluminum has a higher yield strength and fatigue strength than 6063 aluminum which I think is important. On the other hand, the advantage 6063 aluminum has over 6061 is its higher melting temperature, higher thermal conductivity, and higher heat capacity. However, I don't think it's important because keyboards usually stay in an environment under normal temperature. This decision was made after seeing the anodizing of samples using 6061 and 6063. Also, this was a suggestion from my father, who I trust fully as he has more than 20 years of experience in manufacturing having worked with all sorts of material. Furthermore, the electroplating company I am working with also said that it is fine to use 6061, so I chose to trust the professionals as my knowledge in anodising is very limited.

Yes, you can only use one mounting style at a time. The reason why I designed this board with 2 mounting styles is to have a keyboard that can provide two different typing feels. Those who prefer a stiffer typing experience can use a top mount whereas those who like a softer typing experience can use the gummy mount. The gummy mount is actually very interesting because by swapping the o-ring you will have a different typing experience. For example, if you use a 70a o-ring it would be stiffer, a 50a would be in the middle, whereas a 30a will contribute to a very "bouncy" typing experience.

The mid-layer is added because I wanted to design a keyboard that you identify just by seeing the side profile. Thanks for the comment  :D

Will hhkb be an option?

HHKB will not be an option, for now. Maybe it will be in future runs of the board, but for now, I wish to focus on one layout.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 August 2021, 00:10:43 by KEYE »

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 August 2021, 01:26:25 »
That bottom looks pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stewfayew

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 August 2021, 11:27:35 »

I'm sorry but I am curious, is there an issue with using 6061 aluminum with stainless steel? I chose to use aluminum 6061 because out of all the aluminum grades, I like the anodizing finish the most with 6061. It brings out a sharper color. 6061 aluminum has a higher yield strength and fatigue strength than 6063 aluminum which I think is important. On the other hand, the advantage 6063 aluminum has over 6061 is its higher melting temperature, higher thermal conductivity, and higher heat capacity. However, I don't think it's important because keyboards usually stay in an environment under normal temperature. This decision was made after seeing the anodizing of samples using 6061 and 6063. Also, this was a suggestion from my father, who I trust fully as he has more than 20 years of experience in manufacturing having worked with all sorts of material. Furthermore, the electroplating company I am working with also said that it is fine to use 6061, so I chose to trust the professionals as my knowledge in anodising is very limited.

Yes, you can only use one mounting style at a time. The reason why I designed this board with 2 mounting styles is to have a keyboard that can provide two different typing feels. Those who prefer a stiffer typing experience can use a top mount whereas those who like a softer typing experience can use the gummy mount. The gummy mount is actually very interesting because by swapping the o-ring you will have a different typing experience. For example, if you use a 70a o-ring it would be stiffer, a 50a would be in the middle, whereas a 30a will contribute to a very "bouncy" typing experience.

The mid-layer is added because I wanted to design a keyboard that you identify just by seeing the side profile. Thanks for the comment  :D

Will hhkb be an option?

HHKB will not be an option, for now. Maybe it will be in future runs of the board, but for now, I wish to focus on one layout.

I see you updated the post. I thought an IC form was meant to garner interest and consider changing the product based on that feedback. Last I checked there wasn't an option to do that so I don't see the point in the form.

"Q: Will you change something small to fit my niche needs?"
It's not even niche, just pick a mounting style

If you're doing the project for you, then I wish you godspeed.

Offline CharlotteS

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 August 2021, 21:00:28 »
Amazing bottom weight.The pattern is decent.

Offline KEYE

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 09 August 2021, 01:29:46 »
I see you updated the post. I thought an IC form was meant to garner interest and consider changing the product based on that feedback. Last I checked there wasn't an option to do that so I don't see the point in the form.

"Q: Will you change something small to fit my niche needs?"
It's not even niche, just pick a mounting style

If you're doing the project for you, then I wish you godspeed.

Yes I updated the post to answer some questions that people asked me in the DMs. I started this IC to see if there are people who are interested in this project and hence an "Interest Check". As for the google form, my initial goal was to see what colors people want the boards to be in.

By changing something niche, let me give you an example:
-For example, I won't change the typing angle if one person asks me to change the typing angle to be as close to 0 degree as possible, while the rest of the people are perfectly comfortable with a 6.5 degree typing angle. I know there are people who prefer their boards to be as flat as possible, but at the end of the day, I would have to make sure my design is what suit the needs and wants of the majority. This is because it is impossible to create a product that everyone likes, as we all know it is all up to preference in this hobby.

I hope this clarifies things up ;D. Thank you for you constructive feedback, I really appreciate it. I will see if I can add more questions to the IC form.  ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 August 2021, 01:51:22 by KEYE »

Offline konww002

Re: [IC] DAN60 - 60% Gummy + Top Mount (UPDATED to inlcude more info)
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 August 2021, 03:21:06 »
I'm parking myself

Offline Kaitodesu

• Chief of Custom Keyboards(COCK) at Mecha Malaysia
    • I take photos and videos of Keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 04:59:25 »
parked and excited

Offline KEYE

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 28 November 2021, 11:05:45 »
Update:
Uploaded some pictures of anodized boards from round 2 of prototyping
+ Will be posting a sound test soon
+ Made a carrying case for the keyboard
+ Tried to make shiny chamfers (I am happy with how the shiny chamfers turned out)

Offline nick779

Re: [IC] DAN60 - 60% Gummy + Top Mount (UPDATE 29/11/2021)
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 21:07:44 »
Interested.

Discord invite is dead

Offline KEYE

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 09:56:58 »
7 in stock units will be available for sale on Rebult Keyboard website on 26 April. Join Rebult’s discord for more details!

Offline elvenmonster

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 15:07:00 »
Thise shiny chamfers look good!