Author Topic: Hey I'm Ben from Australia  (Read 1945 times)

Offline flacman

• I have oneness with cup rubber
Hey I'm Ben from Australia
« on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 09:31:06 »
Hey there Geekhack,

I've only recently gotten into the keyboard game....probably two years ago when I first heard about mechanical keyboards - then proceeded to try a friend's Razer Blackwidow using MX Blue switches. I was instantly addicted to the sound of the tactile clicky noise and spent most of the day using it.

Fast forward a year later and I own a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate. Fast forward another year and I've completed a 21-day trip to Japan and purchased a glorious PFU Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2.

Strangely enough I wasn't able to find any seller in Akihabara that sold key caps only :S

At the moment, switching between the Razer for gaming, the HHKB for typing and my MacBook Air keyboard for portable use which is making typos everywhere.

I would say, keyboards are my fourth-most expensive hobby with PCs, Head-Fi, and photographic equipment preceding keyboard purchases.

Cheers!
HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 87U 55g | Realforce RGB | RAMA Kara

Offline jeroplane

Re: Hey I'm Ben from Australia
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 09:38:29 »
Hey Ben, I'm Jeremy from Australia - welcome to Geekhack :)

If you want to buy key caps.... you've come to the right place.

Enjoy your stay!

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 09:40:16 »
Hey Ben, I'm Jeremy from Australia - welcome to Geekhack :)

If you want to buy key caps.... you've come to the right place.

Enjoy your stay!

Grab some of his dipped caps :D

They are freaking P-R-E-E-T-Y.

*isthathowyouspellpretty?*

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 12:50:27 »
Hey Ben, welcome to Geekhack!  :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 15:03:54 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Once you start collecting custom keycaps you might find that keyboards moves up in your hobby list expenses ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 07:25:29 »
I'm from Australia too, welcome to wallet hack!
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 08:36:32 »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline flacman

• I have oneness with cup rubber
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 10:56:00 »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

When I was in Japan - I was desperately trying to find one of those Topre Realforce 87U with uniform weight (45g or 55g) distribution keyboards (black/grey) - but couldn't find them sold anywhere. Tried looking at ARK PC, Yodobashi, Bic Camera or Sofmap. I'm going to be coming back to the IT consulting industry in a few months and I really wanted to get a keyboard I could use at work - because I cannot stand those Dell laptop keyboards.

Are these sold anywhere else other than Elite Keyboards?

I could've not been looking hard enough - but I've always wanted to own one of those cute little HHKBs, so I bought the Pro 2 as aforementioned as a "souvenir," if you may :) Strangely enough HHKB is also mostly out of stock in Japan. Yodobashi sells them for about 22,800 Yen with a tax-free option for foreigners (printed, grey). Obviously all of these models were out of stock (inclusive of the local Japanese KANA layouts) and I could only get it for 24,900 Yen at Sofmap. All things considered, I think I made a substantial saving over getting them on eBay / Elite Keyboards - plus being able to cradle and use it with my Mac in my hostel every night until the end of my trip.

Tried using the HHKB for Battlefield 3 so far - feels way too weird for gaming, with the UNIX layout - going to keep using it for typing.

Might try hunting down one of those red/Soviet Esc keys for the HHKB though.

Damned Topre switches feel so good!

Also Dilbert is awesome :D

HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 87U 55g | Realforce RGB | RAMA Kara