Author Topic: Buy Kinesis Advantage in Germany?  (Read 7922 times)

Offline wasabah

Buy Kinesis Advantage in Germany?
« on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 10:51:15 »
Hey guys,
I had my share of RSI recently and therefore am on the hunt for new ergonomic input devices.
I've had my eyes on the Kinesis Advantage for a long time now.

The only German reseller wants to have 367 euros though, which is very steep
compared to, say, the US or UK price. (about 100 euro less, which is a lot!)

I don't care about having the German layout, a US one will do as well.
Amazon.co.uk has it listed, but with delivery dates of 1-2 months.

Does anybody know any other shops or ways to get hold of one for about ~250-300 euros
here in Germany?
Would be highly appreciated!
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline sordna

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 10:55:44 »
You could try ebay, there are several sellers selling new ones (as well as some used ones).
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 13:12:41 »
Today: 367 euros is about 493 usd.
Is this for an Advantage (260-300 usd) or Advantage Pro (320-360 usd)?

It's always staggering to see what people on the other side of the pond have to pay for things compared to here in the U.S.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 14:31:50 »
You might look into getting one bought in the US and mail forwarded to Germany. There are at least two Geekhackers here willing to help you with that (for free)
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?27305-%28Free%29-US-shipping-forwarding-service

Offline wasabah

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 15:24:30 »
Quote from: input nirvana;529565
Today: 367 euros is about 493 usd.
Is this for an Advantage (260-300 usd) or Advantage Pro (320-360 usd)?

It's always staggering to see what people on the other side of the pond have to pay for things compared to here in the U.S.

It's for the Advantage.
There is only one reseller in Germany and well, I guess they know that and can adjust the price accordingly! :(

Thank you, dorkvader! I will look into it. :)
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline boli

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 15:56:15 »
Hi, I'm a resident of your tiny southern neighboring country, and bought directly from Kinesis' webshop.

If you were to do it that way: Regular Advantage at $299 translates to 222€, and $85 UPS shipping (what I paid last fall) is about 63€. That was the only option and included their company discount, but still quite expensive. Plus you'll probably have to pay 19% VAT on everything, so 339€ total. Plus possibly customs handling fees. So your local reseller's price isn't all that far off.

You can buy elsewhere in the US and get it cheaper than $299, the normal version anyway. And if another geekhacker can save you some shipping costs it starts to get more and more interesting. :)

If you were into Cherry red switches you'd have to get it from Kinesis directly though ($325, special order).
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 February 2012, 16:04:56 by boli »
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline wasabah

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 16:25:50 »
Hehe, thank you for letting me know. :)

I'm a total noob when it comes to the switches (I read that the red ones are softer though), so I guess I will just go with the standard ones!

Offline sordna

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 17:01:35 »
If you don't care about the switch type, then the cheapest source would be a reseller, most of them sell it for $269. I've bought my non-LF ones from Fentek-Ind, and Amazon carries them too. You need to go directly to kinesis for the LF model with the reds, which is quite a bit more expensive at $325.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

fossala

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 00:16:15 »
Remember we (Europe) Include our "sales tax" in or prices. So if you take your 20% off it is not that much different and it does have to ship over the pond.

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.