Author Topic: First build -- Keychron K6 -- does it count?  (Read 3203 times)

Offline kotaklysm

• TechnotaKota on twitch
First build -- Keychron K6 -- does it count?
« on: Tue, 05 January 2021, 23:40:19 »
No, it's not an Alice. No, it wasn't in a gb. I didn't handcraft the case or sell my left kidney (the inferior kidney) for OG Dye-Subs, but I'm really happy with my first build.
This is my Keychron K6 (alu frame and hotswap) with Halo Clears and YMDK 9009 XDA caps (photographed with DSA caps... I should probably get a new photo of it). Switches are filmed with durock films and lubed with 3203, stabs are replaced with genuine cherry plate mount (I don't want to talk about it), clipped, lubed with dielectric grease, and band-aided. Butyl sound-deadener has been added inside the case, and overall I'm pretty happy with this build.

Future plans for the build include either holy pandas or zealios 67g and painting the frame beige to match the 9009 retro aesthetic.

Let me know any suggestions you all might have or any feedback!
259093-0 259095-1
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 January 2021, 02:08:55 by kotaklysm »
The best keyboard is the keyboard that you have with you. Or is that cameras. I forget. These expensive hobbies are starting to blend together.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: First build -- Keychron K6 -- does it count?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 00:15:30 »
Ooh, skipping soldering and long waits... naughty boy(?) :p

Seriously though soldering is the easy part, having the patience to open all the switches definitely makes this count as a custom.  Hard to recommend any improvements without seeing its final form or hearing it, though even then it's you who has to use it so doesn't matter if we like it or not.  Hopefully your fingers appreciate the thought and research you obviously put in :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 January 2021, 00:17:52 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 01:51:43 »
I wouldn't call it a custom. Its a modded Keychron K6. Its like taking a leopold and changing the switches out and tuning the stabs doesn't change the fact that its still a Leopold.

But hey you turned it into a great keyboard that is what counts honestly.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline kotaklysm

• TechnotaKota on twitch
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 01:58:07 »
Ooh, skipping soldering and long waits... naughty boy(?) :p

Seriously though soldering is the easy part, having the patience to open all the switches definitely makes this count as a custom.  Hard to recommend any improvements without seeing its final form or hearing it, though even then it's you who has to use it so doesn't matter if we like it or not.  Hopefully your fingers appreciate the thought and research you obviously put in :)
Thank you. I've been proud of my build, and I try really hard to not let elitism affect me, but I think I needed this bit of reassurance at the end to really complete the experience. I love typing on this board every day (I use it on my laptop in bed at the end of the day just to get another chance to type on it) and I look forward to future plans with it (I want to try some different tactiles eventually and paint the frame beige to complete the retro vibe).
Thank you for specifically mentioning that all the time and effort I put in "definitely makes it a custom," because it feels great knowing that I get to use something every day that is the byproduct of hours and days of effort and research.
I greatly appreciate the kind words, and my fingers definitely appreciate the board!

p.s: naughty girl *
p.p.s: that postscript is a really weird way for me to end this response.

The best keyboard is the keyboard that you have with you. Or is that cameras. I forget. These expensive hobbies are starting to blend together.

Offline kotaklysm

• TechnotaKota on twitch
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 01:59:44 »
I wouldn't call it a custom. Its a modded Keychron K6. Its like taking a leopold and changing the switches out and tuning the stabs doesn't change the fact that its still a Leopold.

At the end of the day, I'm absolutely jazzed every time I get to type on it, and I totally agree that that's what it's all about.

Offline kotaklysm

• TechnotaKota on twitch
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 02:03:01 »
Hard to recommend any improvements without seeing its final form or hearing it

I'll have to get a sound test posted, and I'll definitely post new pics when I paint the frame beige! That *should* be the final form for this board... but I guess that's what they always say.

Offline nitrozeus

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 20:53:15 »

Lol I had to finally make an account to call this out. By this logic, boards like the NK65, kbd67, Tokyo60, and many many many more are all considered as not "custom" boards. Does the fact that the board comes with switches and keycaps disqualify it from being a custom? Are the nk65 milkshake edition and RFP edition not customs because the switches and keycaps came on the board already? What's the difference if you took those switches and keycaps off and used your own lmao

Bruh this hobby is funny sometimes

Offline wonderp

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 22:04:23 »
Regardless of semantics, it looks really nice, and your photos are fantastic.

You could argue "Bleauh bleh its not custom" but I don't really care about that, because it looks nice and for sure isn't stock.

Good work!
I bought a Razer keyboard and I regret my purchase with every word I type. That’s twenty three regrets just for this signature.

Offline yui

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 02:21:31 »

isn't the fact that he customized his keyboard makes it by definition a custom? as he build it to his own spec. otherwise the only way to get a custom is to handwire your board with your own layout from scratch, and i feel it is going a bit far, and by your definition i do not even know if it would even be a custom if it does not use bespoke switches.
and nice board, although from my experience painting peripherals, do not use cheap paint, i never tried expensive paint to be fair but some seems to get results, the cheap paints and plastic primer (same brands) i tried never managed to stay on the parts for more than a few days, just saying so you do not waste your time too much if you did not already have that experience :).
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)