Author Topic: So we've had our Das III's for a while now...  (Read 5653 times)

Offline Waves77

So we've had our Das III's for a while now...
« on: Tue, 19 August 2008, 23:35:36 »
I know several of us here got a Das III about a month ago, but I haven't read many reactions. I thought that starting a thread could be more interesting this time than writing an individual review.

PROS:
- Above average build quality, compared to the rubber domes most manufacturers deliver with their PCs.
- USB hub. Personally I don't use it a lot (wireless mouse and one usb cable on my desk that plugs in psp/camera/mp3 player when needed is about all I need), but I could see it as being a useful feature for many.
- Blue Cherry keyswitches! Very nice switches that have a feel that's solid and firm as a model M, but way lighter and clickier as with white alps.
- I have the Das III professional, it's nice to see a different font being used on the keys, it gives it a bit more of a modern look.

CONS:
- I'm really curious if anyone here has the tried both the Scorpius M10 and this board, but the keyswitches sit very differently on the board. It has a different feel to it that's hard to describe, but I like less on the Das.
- Price. For what you get, I think one has better choices import/national or vintage wise. There was a lot of hype around this keyboard, and in my eyes they failed to deliver. It's definitely an above average quality board, but it doesn't warrant the $129 price tag IMHO.
- Odd behavior under some Linux kernels, where the board will hang and become totally unresponsive (tested on different computers). Maybe not a fault of the hardware, but very odd none the less for such a straightforward component.

Overall I think this board will end up on ebay soon ;)
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline davo

• http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~finton/
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 August 2008, 02:29:22 »
Quote from: Waves77;7618
I know several of us here got a Das III about a month ago, but I haven't read many reactions.

Seriously?  I pre-ordered on June 10, and I haven't heard anything except the initial email order receipt.

(Good thing I also bought this nice Unicomp Spacesaver last month!)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 August 2008, 10:40:29 »
Quote from: Waves77;7618
CONS:
- I'm really curious if anyone here has the tried both the Scorpius M10 and this board, but the keyswitches sit very differently on the board. It has a different feel to it that's hard to describe, but I like less on the Das.
- Price. For what you get, I think one has better choices import/national or vintage wise. There was a lot of hype around this keyboard, and in my eyes they failed to deliver. It's definitely an above average quality board, but it doesn't warrant the $129 price tag IMHO.
- Odd behavior under some Linux kernels, where the board will hang and become totally unresponsive (tested on different computers). Maybe not a fault of the hardware, but very odd none the less for such a straightforward component.

Overall I think this board will end up on ebay soon ;)

Interesting, I was considering getting one of these at some stage after I got my Unicomp Endurapro... I think I might save up for something else instead :)

Offline Waves77

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 August 2008, 10:53:46 »
Quote from: davo;7623
Seriously?  I pre-ordered on June 10, and I haven't heard anything except the initial email order receipt.

(Good thing I also bought this nice Unicomp Spacesaver last month!)

Yeah, I don't recall when I pre-ordered, but I got mine around july 15th, so did a couple of other people around here.
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline Waves77

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 August 2008, 10:56:04 »
Quote from: ch_123;7632
Interesting, I was considering getting one of these at some stage after I got my Unicomp Endurapro... I think I might save up for something else instead :)

Take it for what it's worth, just one guy's opinion, but yeah, I would not purchase this one again.

I'd rather pick up a Macally for something light and clicky. Considering $10 more got me the Filco Majestouch with brown cherries imported from Japan I consider that a way better board.
Current collection:

Offline Skarekrow

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 05:06:27 »
Could any other Das 3 owners chime in? Im from Singapore where they dont ship to, but someone is getting a mass order going on and I would like to gather more opinions. I currently own a Filco FKBN104M/EB and love it, and want to get my hands on some blue cherries. The Das is the best option i know of.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 05:24:07 »
I have the DasIII, I tried it for a week, if that, and gave it up.
The keyboard is well made, and it has blue cherry switches.
However, I favor the Model M/Unicomp buckling spring keyboard.
The BS keyboards are very tactile, and very loud.
The blue cherry DasIII is not very tactile, and is not very loud.

I suppose it depends on what your current reference is, that is: If I was coming
from a rubber dome keyboard, then yes the DasIII would be an improvement.
But coming from a BS keyboard, then no.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline alpslover

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 10:32:51 »
Quote from: Skarekrow;7659
Could any other Das 3 owners chime in? Im from Singapore where they dont ship to, but someone is getting a mass order going on and I would like to gather more opinions. I currently own a Filco FKBN104M/EB and love it, and want to get my hands on some blue cherries. The Das is the best option i know of.

i got my das 3 around the same time that others who preordered it did, and while i find it more difficult to get a nice typing rhythm going on it than the keyboards i'm more used to (buckling spring and alps click tactiles), i'm not ready to give up on it just yet.

the main typing issue i have with the das is that of accuracy - i'm much less accurate with it than with my other keyboards.  i think it's due to a combination of the light spring pressure, less 'in your face' tactileness, and earlier actuation point of the blue cherry switches that leads me to transpose characters more often.  this isn't a problem with the keyboard, as the behavior of the switches is consistent from key to key, it's a problem with my fingers.  keyboards with heavier switches are more forgiving in that sense because they require more authoritative keystrokes to register, whereas the blue cherries only require a relatively light brush (and not as much key depression distance) to actuate.  also, it doesn't help that my das is connected to my home pc which doesn't get as much proper typing use as the keyboard connected to my pc at work.

so it really does depend on what you're used to.  if you love your filco, you'll probably not dislike the das as much as bigpook.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 10:44:32 »
Quote from: bigpook;7660
I have the DasIII, I tried it for a week, if that, and gave it up.
The keyboard is well made, and it has blue cherry switches.
However, I favor the Model M/Unicomp buckling spring keyboard.
The BS keyboards are very tactile, and very loud.
The blue cherry DasIII is not very tactile, and is not very loud.

I suppose it depends on what your current reference is, that is: If I was coming
from a rubber dome keyboard, then yes the DasIII would be an improvement.
But coming from a BS keyboard, then no.

Have you tried a keyboard with Alps switches (not to advocate leaving BS by any means)?  I am a die hard Model M user myself, but I equally enjoy my Alps 'board.  It has a very similar feel, and is just as loud (if not more).

Offline Waves77

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 11:05:14 »
Quote from: alpslover;7665
if you love your filco, you'll probably not dislike the das as much as bigpook.

I own (and adore) a Filco as well, and I wouldn't buy this keyboard again. I definitely think it's a good quality keyboard, but after trying many of the different keyswitches, I'm just not totally sold on the feel of the Das III.
Current collection:

Offline bigpook

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 13:45:45 »
No alps keyboards as of yet, l have no knowledge of them either. Point me in the right direction and I will check it out.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 14:55:43 »
BigPook,

You can get one of the MK96 like xsphat and iMav have been pimping for something like $10 on ebay if you just want to try it out; it's an Apple-based board, and I think you might need an adapter for it.  If you like it, I think the CVT Avant Prime (Northgate) would be right up your alley (I think they are geared toward UNIX users, but my Evolution has Windows keys, so I might be wrong).

Offline bigpook

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 23 August 2008, 19:47:00 »
Waves77
The filco you mention has cherry browns right? Yet you don't like the DasIII? Is there that much of difference between the browns and the blues?

itlnstln
I need to do more research on the MK96, it sounds like its a cheap way to give an alps keyboard a try. I went to the CVT website and the Avant Prime visually looks similar to a model M, which is a plus.

I am waiting on a HHKB Pro 2 to arrive, there has been so much buzz about them that I finally broke down.  I am using my HHKB lite 2 now to refamiliarize myself with the form factor. If all else fails, I have my unicomp space saver to fall back on.

Offline Waves77

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 23 August 2008, 20:10:07 »
Quote from: bigpook;7783
Waves77
The filco you mention has cherry browns right? Yet you don't like the DasIII? Is there that much of difference between the browns and the blues?

The Filco has browns and they're quite a different feel, yes. The browns are not really clicky, except for when they are pressed down all the way. They don't have that mid-way click as the blues. This makes the browns a bit softer than the blues, but both take about the same strength to press down though. The browns are also a bit more silent. (I uploaded a sound clip of both in the sound clip section).

I am waiting on a HHKB Pro 2 to arrive, there has been so much buzz about them that I finally broke down.  

Hehehe... me too, I placed the order today actually :) Waiting for the confirmation from beNippon. Where did you order? Last time beNippon has a small delay in shipping the Filco (week or so).

Which one did you order? I got the black with blank keys...
Current collection:

Offline bigpook

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 23 August 2008, 20:24:33 »
xsphat had put his black with black lettering up for sale, I procrastinated for a bit and then just went for it. In hind-sight, I probably would have liked the white one with lettering.
If it turns out that the HHKB Pro 2 is truly the shizzle, then I will probably end up getting a white one.

I have all of the BS keyboards I will ever need, so the HHKB will be a nice addition.
While I don't like the DasIII with the blue cherry's, I still want to try something with brown cherrys. I probably won't like it, but feel the need to at least give it a shot.

After that, I don't know. The one thing that I really like about the HHKB is the form factor, right behind that would be the IBM model M mini. Which really IS ideal for me, but it doesn't play nice with my KVM.

Offline Waves77

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 23 August 2008, 20:43:01 »
Cool, let us know how you like it after playing with it for a while :)

I just got the confirmation and made the payment. Lucky I waited till today, because the price just dropped by about $20 from two days ago! I guess maybe something to do with the exchange rate...

Personally I consider the blues to be very different to the browns. I prefer the browns to anything else I have right now, but prefer BS or Alps to the blues. It's also the mood I'm in I guess. I've been feeling like bringing out the model M again :)

Generally speaking I prefer black keyboards (I love my dark grey model M). I got the blank keys, since I figured I might as well go all the way and get the geekiest option possible :D
Current collection:

Offline bigpook

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 23 August 2008, 20:50:50 »
It will be interesting to see how the HHKB goes for me. I will be sure to chime in when I have had it for a week or so.

I try to rotate through the keyboards that I have, I may even try the DasIII again, but probably not anytime soon....But I do have my favorites though, over time I will probably winnow down my collection. I find that if I take to the keyboard straight-away then more than likely it will be a keeper. All others tend to stay on the shelf.

Offline Waves77

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 23 August 2008, 21:30:15 »
Quote from: bigpook;7788
But I do have my favorites though, over time I will probably winnow down my collection.

Yeah, doing that right now (selling some stuff in the marketplace section, if not I'll put it up on ebay). I do think it's great to try one of all the well known ones (blue/brown cherries, BS, Alps) and find a keyswitch and board format that works for you.

Trying to narrow it down to the boards that I really like best of each type of switch.
Current collection:

Offline bigpook

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 23 August 2008, 21:52:05 »
That thought could be the start of a new thread maybe.

List your 3 favorite keyboards and the reasons why.

and with a choice for what would make up your dream keyboard.

.....I will start the thread.

Offline Korbin

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 24 August 2008, 21:30:17 »
Quote from: bigpook;7783
Waves77

Just my opinion but I think the cherry browns are closer to blacks than blues. To me the browns feel like blacks with a lighter key press pressure with a slight "notch" halfway down.

As a side note... I'm not that impressed with the cherry blues in general. For me... While I do like the actuation of the key halfway down the key stroke, blues seem to have too much resistence in the stroke and don't provide any "kick back" after the snap. With that being said, it makes sucessive keystrokes ( think of repeatedly pressing the same key) somewhat annoying. Hence, cherry blues don't seem to be my thing. I guess this is the reason why I like cherry brown and topre switches..... hell even cherry blacks.
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson

Offline Waves77

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 24 August 2008, 22:26:58 »
Quote from: Korbin;7836
Just my opinion but I think the cherry browns are closer to blacks than blues.

Agreed! The browns are way better quality, but I would say the browns are a more solid, firm and even light switches like the blacks. The blues come closer to BS or Alps, but lighter.[/QUOTE]

To me the browns feel like blacks with a lighter key press pressure with a slight "notch" halfway down.

Yes. Silent, but there. Doesn't "click" till it bottoms out though.

cherry blues don't seem to be my thing. I guess this is the reason why I like cherry brown and topre switches..... hell even cherry blacks.

I wouldn't say I prefer the blacks over blues, but yeah, I don't think I would buy blues again (tried 2 boards). For something light I prefer the browns, if I want something clickier the Alps and for something heavier BS.

Have you tried the HHKB? Topre and the Avant Steller are still 2 other boards I'm quite curious about.
Current collection:

Offline Korbin

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 25 August 2008, 03:02:03 »
Quote from: Waves77;7843

Have you tried the HHKB? Topre and the Avant Steller are still 2 other boards I'm quite curious about.

Yup. The topre switch is by far my favorite switch with browns coming in second. I bought 2 HHKB's one for work.... the other for one of my boxes at home.
Keyboards: Nyquist, Ergodox, Levinson

Offline victheslik

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 25 August 2008, 03:05:44 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 21:59:31 by victheslik »
"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. " Karl Marx
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 25 August 2008, 07:13:54 »
The Topre also has biased key weighting, which the HHKB doesn't...

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 25 August 2008, 10:38:27 »
I think that's more of a gimmick than something I would notice in real world use.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 25 August 2008, 10:53:23 »
Actually, IBM did user testing when they were developing the BS keyswitch, with both uniform and variable weight springs, and found that the variable weight keyboards caused more fatigue.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 25 August 2008, 10:55:53 »
Who does IBM think they are? Dilutions of grandeur.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 25 August 2008, 10:56:27 »
JK

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 25 August 2008, 11:07:43 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;7901
Actually, IBM did user testing when they were developing the BS keyswitch, with both uniform and variable weight springs, and found that the variable weight keyboards caused more fatigue.

Makes sense, especially if you're not a touch typist.  I also doubt, barring some injury, arthritis, etc., that the average user has difficult enough time pressing keys with their pinky or ring finger that would warrant differently weighted keys (those with injury or arthritis would probably be looking for a very different solution, anyway).  Sounds nice, but lacks any real practicality.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 25 August 2008, 11:45:06 »
The layout weights keys less for weaker fingers. It's not trying to punish the user. And there's only a handful of effected keys. and they only deviate my 20 gm in 10 gm increments.