Author Topic: Model M - spring sound  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Hakhu

Model M - spring sound
« on: Mon, 28 September 2009, 08:25:32 »
Hi,

today I got my first Model M (for 1 €) off a guy, who didn't know what he was selling.
So I've been testing a bit and it really types great.
But after listening for a while I noticed that I hear the spring as it expands when I release the key. It's like a high pitched "ding" sound.
Is that normal? I don't hear each key as much as some others. Some seem to be almost silent (on release ... of course they click on the down-stroke). Is there any way to avoid/reverse/fix that?

Thanks,

Hakhu

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Model M - spring sound
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 September 2009, 09:11:12 »
It's perfectly normal, and there's not that much you can really do about it without really taking the keyboard apart.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline Hakhu

Model M - spring sound
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 September 2009, 09:26:01 »
And what if I wanted to take the keyboard apart?

What can I do about it then?

Offline itlnstln

Model M - spring sound
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 September 2009, 09:37:16 »
Take a look at ripster's rivet replacement mod in the Mods section if it really bothers you.  Apparently, some of the noise is created by plate resonance.

Offline Hakhu

Model M - spring sound
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 September 2009, 10:02:48 »
Yay! Thanks. That was just the ray of sunshine (read 'hope') that I was looking for.
I'm sitting at the office atm, but I'll have a read through tonight (no speakers at work - for the samples).
So far my colleagues have not complained. ;-)

Offline rdjack21

Model M - spring sound
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 September 2009, 11:40:23 »
I see you have the Model M space saver as your avatar. Please don't tell me you got a Space saver for 1 euro. If you did you really made a fantastic buy on that one.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline msiegel

Model M - spring sound
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 September 2009, 11:51:21 »
w... one euro? :'-O

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline rdjack21

Model M - spring sound
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 September 2009, 11:55:07 »
I thought the € was the Euro symbol or is that the pound either way still a good deal but if it was a Space saver it was a steal.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline itlnstln

Model M - spring sound
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 September 2009, 11:58:32 »
You're right, that's the Euro symbol.  That's a crazy deal, if that's the case.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Model M - spring sound
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 September 2009, 12:26:10 »
I was  going to say that there were no German IBM spacesavers, then I looked at his avatar...

If it is in fact a German-layout Spacesaver, what is the part number and date on the back? I've only ever heard of French, Spanish and hacked-together UK layout spacesavers in addition to the US ones.

Offline Hakhu

Model M - spring sound
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 September 2009, 14:30:39 »
The image I've got in my avatar is a UK layout, not a German one. Sadly it's not mine and it really would be a steal for 1€.

This is a larger picture. Just so you can take a better look.

This is some more information to the specific model.

The one I got for one Euro is a German layout standard size Model M with a model number of 1391403.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Model M - spring sound
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 17:13:03 »
That's not a bad deal. I got a model M with a trackball out of the computer trash for free once. All it cost me was $5 for an adapter to use the mouse in my serial port.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Model M - spring sound
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 September 2009, 17:18:07 »
Quote from: Hakhu;121217
The image I've got in my avatar is a UK layout, not a German one. Sadly it's not mine and it really would be a steal for 1€.

This is a larger picture. Just so you can take a better look.

This is some more information to the specific model.

The one I got for one Euro is a German layout standard size Model M with a model number of 1391403.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the UNI04C6. Just misread your post and thought that you may have found a German Space Saver.

The UNI04C6 is probably better described as a "US ISO" layout keyboard, as it basically has the layout that you'd get from running a US layout on an ISO keyboard. Although the |\ really should be <>
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 September 2009, 17:20:12 by ch_123 »