Author Topic: 60%, ANSI layout, as few changes as possible  (Read 5788 times)

Offline sirtetris

• blog / personal website
60%, ANSI layout, as few changes as possible
« on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 14:30:29 »
So, I'm thinking about getting a 60% keyboard. Since I'll also be typing on other keyboards from time to time, I want the layout to be as close to the main/"inner" part of a standard, full sized ANSI layout keyboard as possible.
Ideally there'd only be one of the right modifiers in row 5 (preferrably one of right alt, menu and right ctrl) changed to an fn key. Here's a picture of what I mean:

(I just realized that the picture I used has some weird key widhts, like 1.5 ctrls instead of 1.25. That's not what I want. I hope you get the idea of what I mean anyway.)

The fn layout isn't that important. as long as function keys are on row 1 I'm fine with it. Also: I'd like to have it with MX blues.

So:
Are there any keyboards around like that apart from poker? I guess there will be a gh60 version fitting the needs, but I don't know how long I want to wait to get such a keyboard ...
What are my best options?
Buy a poker with blacks and mod blues on it? Try to get a poker with MX blues from somewhere? Wait for the gh60?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :3

Offline Strelok

Re: 60%, ANSI layout, as few changes as possible
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 16:01:38 »
I have a KBT Pure, seems to fit the bill, comes with backlighting option and most Cherry MX switches.

There's also the KBT Race, KBC Poker and the Tex board coming out soon seen here:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39693.0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 16:07:44 »
If you're feeling up to the challenge, you can wait for the GH60 as well.

Check it out:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37570

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34959

You can built it exactly how you want it

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 17:18:16 »
I have a KBT Pure, seems to fit the bill, comes with backlighting option and most Cherry MX switches.

(img)

That right Shift, and Esc/tilde are f-ed up. The original Poker was just fine (except the fn layer, IMHO), I hope at least one of the new keyboards will be the same.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 17:34:45 »
There was some rumors of Poker2 classic of some such, which I guess is just re release of the original layout. If so they might be easier to find again but I have no idea when/if this happens. I suppose it all comes down to how quick you want it. If you want it now get whatever Poker you can get your hands on and change switch if need be. There have been some more for sale again recently, don't forget to check classifieds.

Offline Strelok

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 02:10:16 »

(img)

That right Shift, and Esc/tilde are f-ed up. The original Poker was just fine (except the fn layer, IMHO), I hope at least one of the new keyboards will be the same.

You never use more than the left portion of the right shift anyways. The tilde should be in the Fn layer, but it doesn't hinder any use. It anything it's probably more convenient to reach.

Offline sirtetris

• blog / personal website
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 02:59:21 »
@Strelok:
Thanks for the input. I know about the Pure. The thing is, I really don't want the tilde to be anywhere else than on the very left of row 1. I map the escape function to the caps lock key anyway, so having an escape next to the 1 key to replace the tilde would really be a waste. Also, I don't really like the non uniform width of the row 5 modifiers.

@lysol:
Thanks for the hint. :)

@CPTBadAss:
Well yeah ... the thing with building it yourself. I would be really awesome. But I wonder if I lack the required skills to not mess up the whole thing.

To me it seems that the best option for me concerning certainty, time and required skill would be buying a Poker with blacks and modding it.
What would you say: will someone who never soldered in his life mess up or is it really easy to change the switches on a Poker? I would be willing to look for a num pad with cherry switches or so to practice. ^^

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 10:41:13 »
The only soldering necessary is to unsolder the 7 led. It's a pcb mount so you can open the switch housing and just trade the stem and spring instead of having to do soldering work. It's very simple mod to change switch type on pcb mount and extremely low risk.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 13:21:17 »

(img)

You never use more than the left portion of the right shift anyways. The tilde should be in the Fn layer, but it doesn't hinder any use. It anything it's probably more convenient to reach.

Having used a keyboard with such a small Shift, I can't agree. I kept pressing the arrow instead all the time. I also like when I'm able to press Ctrl and Shfit with one finger, and I sometimes prefer Ctrl/Shift+Insert for copy'n'paste instead of Ctrl+C/V.

The tilde key is very useful, at least for me: switching tab groups in Firefox, backquote in Lisp, and non-breakable space in TeX to name some examples. For me, position almost in the bottom corner is almost the worst imaginable one.

Offline gnubag

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 13:59:49 »
if you want a GH 60 but are not sure about your solder skill you could take a look here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38363.0