Author Topic: [IC?]Pre-modified Switches  (Read 6142 times)

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
[IC?]Pre-modified Switches
« on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 21:07:29 »
First off, I put this here since it isn't a groupbuy.
Anyways, I was wondering if there is any interest as a service for me to modify switches and then sell them on a webstore, or just ship the stuff to me and I can swap springs and ship them back out. Obviously this is just an interest check, and I would have to think of pricing later, but I am just curious since I have a lot of free time and would like to spend it doing something I enjoy.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
Re: [IC?]Pre-modified Switches
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 16:29:20 »
GoN bascally does this through his website unless you're competing in prices but then the other issue is quality. You'd have to make sure all your switch mods are perfectly replicatable so that they all feel the same otherwise people won't be happy xD

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 17:32:55 »
GoN bascally does this through his website unless you're competing in prices but then the other issue is quality. You'd have to make sure all your switch mods are perfectly replicatable so that they all feel the same otherwise people won't be happy xD
Well it would really just be swapping springs, and of all the switches I have done it to they all feel the same, but no competition, just pre-modded switches that would be sold like the way mk.com does, and I would try each one, I would hate to be on the receiving end of switches that had different feelings.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 17:36:04 »
Are you considering lubing and stickering, in addition to spring swaps? Those are the most requested mods, but they are definitely labor/time intensive. Don't undervalue yourself when it comes to your time and effort.

If you decide to offer lubing services, you definitely want to use Krytox ONLY for the switch internals. I use a mixture of about 50/50 103 oil and 205 grease. For springs, use can use a cheaper oil, such as Victorinox multi tool oil.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 17:37:03 »
Spring swap alone isn't worth it, most people like to lube switches too, the spring swap part is a short amount of time once the switch is already opened to do the lube job.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 17:44:38 »
Spring swap alone isn't worth it, most people like to lube switches too, the spring swap part is a short amount of time once the switch is already opened to do the lube job.
Oh! I have never lubed my switches, but I guess I could offer spring swap + stickering + lubing.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 00:23:46 »
You would also be able to do this for people in CONUS without the shipping costs GON has to deal with from Korea..

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 03:01:04 »

You would also be able to do this for people in CONUS without the shipping costs GON has to deal with from Korea..
Yeah, and here I get shipping supplies for free, so pay a couple dollars for shipping and it would be there within probably 5 days at the most as long as it is US or CA.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 08:01:44 »

Yeah, and here I get shipping supplies for free, so pay a couple dollars for shipping and it would be there within probably 5 days at the most as long as it is US or CA.
So basically to sum up you gotta do the whole shebang xD
Stickers, lube and springs and you might have to stock all that yourself as well as various switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 08:19:31 »
Oh! I have never lubed my switches, but I guess I could offer spring swap + stickering + lubing.

You should probably practice. ;)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 08:21:47 »
jailhouse blues
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 08:35:38 »
Oh and to be hip you should probably say you are 'tuning' the switches.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 18:52:48 »

Oh and to be hip you should probably say you are 'tuning' the switches.
That does sound more hip and better than modding switches.

Offline kaboom

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 23:28:31 »
yes please

Offline drewba

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 11:14:21 »
I'm definitely interested. Are you only interested in modding springs or would you do full desoldering switches + install modded switches? At some point I'd really like to try out ergo clears and would pay for someone with more know-how than me to swap switches from an old keyboard and add some ergo clears.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 January 2015, 14:21:10 by drewba »

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 14:13:35 »
I'm definitely interested. Are you only interested in modding springs or would you do full desoldering switches + install modded switches? At some point I'd really like to try out ergo clears and would for someone with more know-how than me to swap switches from an old keyboard and add some ergo clears.
I would start out by modding springs, and then once I get better at soldering I would desolder and replace, but depending on the board you have I might be able to swap switches without desoldering.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 14:17:08 »
If you are looking for a job, I think you could make some good money by doing these labor-intensive jobs that some people would prefer not to do! I say it is a good idea, as long as you are willing to practice, and are okay with time-intensive and fiddly jobs.

Offline adrl

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 14:47:10 »
I hate sticker-ing so I'm pretty sure you'll find other people like me.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 14:50:50 »
I hate sticker-ing so I'm pretty sure you'll find other people like me.

Same here. Unlike lube, it adds nothing functional to the build. It's purely for aesthetics, and you never even see them unless the keycaps are off!

But everyone wants them, because "it's no big deal, since you have the switch open to lube and spring swap, anyway, right?"
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 22:56:13 »
Would 72$ be a decent price for 100x 62g or 65g stickered and lubed ErgoClears?

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:15:22 »

So $50 for switches, $7 for stickers, $10 for springs, and $18 for lube? Seems like a great price :thumb:

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:17:21 »

So $50 for switches, $7 for stickers, $10 for springs, and $18 for lube? Seems like a great price :thumb:
30 for switches 20 for springs 10 for lube and 12 for stickers + 6 for shipping because I can't make springs, and the sticker price will go down once I finish making a design for them

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:22:25 »
If you are up to this I think it would be a great way to make different switch types avalible. That said, and im sure other people will echo this, you better be ready with some good music and some snacks because it will be a long tedious process to this.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:31:26 »
If you are up to this I think it would be a great way to make different switch types avalible. That said, and im sure other people will echo this, you better be ready with some good music and some snacks because it will be a long tedious process to this.
I am just buying some switches from some places now to see if they are legit, and once I get some more money, then I will expand, but it seems like the biggest market is ergo clears, jailhouse blues, and I guess ghost blacks now. And ghost blacks feel really nice.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:32:39 »
I am just buying some switches from some places now to see if they are legit, and once I get some more money, then I will expand, but it seems like the biggest market is ergo clears, jailhouse blues, and I guess ghost blacks now. And ghost blacks feel really nice.

Another convert!  And I'm so glad the Ghost Black name stuck.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:33:05 »
I also plan on adding some LEDs once I figure out all the colors, but I think white, blue, green, pink, and some other LEDs will be nice.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:34:37 »

They feel so nice, reds are too light, and blacks feel too heavy, even though Ghost Blacks are I guess? heavier, but feel smoother.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:40:53 »

They feel so nice, reds are too light, and blacks feel too heavy, even though Ghost Blacks are I guess? heavier, but feel smoother.

The Ghost Blacks are lighter at the top to the point of actuation, then get stiffer.  If you lube them or have broken it ones, it really makes them nice and smooth to the point of actuation, after which they get stiffer.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 23:42:07 »

The Ghost Blacks are lighter at the top to the point of actuation, then get stiffer.  If you lube them or have broken it ones, it really makes them nice and smooth to the point of actuation, after which they get stiffer.
I need to try a full board of these, and it MIGHT be actually more enjoyable than my HHKB.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 15:29:36 »
What other switch mods are popular besides ErgoClears , and I guess now Ghost Black?, besides tuning stock switches. I think if I can find cheap blues I might attempt jailhouse blues.