Author Topic: Wood60 needs caps  (Read 1904 times)

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
Wood60 needs caps
« on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 19:27:10 »
so my new Wood60 board is finally done and fully working. (typing this on it now)

i need some caps for her. i have some blank black abs ones but as much as i love touch typing with out looking at the keyboard i'd prefer to have letters on them or at least something LOL. ive recently found some keys i like but i can't seem to find them anywhere however they are an old style of key. honeywell i think they are called. anyway, i'm trying to find some places to get caps, cap lots, i dont mind no having a color theme having all the keys different colors and stuff. random doesn't bother me. it adds to the geekness of the whole thing.  asking for help and advice. attached is my keyboard and the keys i'm kinda looking for.

thanks in advance!

Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Wood60 needs caps
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 19:38:30 »
Those appear to be SA profile, but the legends and colours suggest that they originate from a custom keyboard for something.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline phruitpie

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 23:40:16 »
There was a honeywell replica group buy (Round 5/5a), although I don't know much about it to be honest. You'd have to pick a set up from someone looking to sell theirs I guess, but I don't think it's even shipped yet. If you're looking to mix and match SA profile caps then some unicorn vomit (this is just what people call random assortments of different caps) is what you want.

Here are two examples:
http://imgur.com/96AiTid
http://imgur.com/a/OhzuO

Best way to get a hold of something like that is to find someone that's selling SA profile caps from their pmk crap bags either in the classifieds or on mechmarket.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 10:41:38 »
well funny enough i found a seller on ebay selling a bag-o-keys most are over 100 afew over 300 full of SA profile keys. but all one charicter. "." "read" "write" "10" "11" etc. kinda halarious and only 20+shipping might have to pick up a bag just to have extra keys lying around.

http://www.ebay.com/sme/Keyboards-Mice-Pointing-/3676/so.html?_ssn=sunagainfarm&_soffid=5&_sme=Free-shipping-on-orders-over-80&_soffType=PromotionalShipping&_seedid=181938797517&_ipg=96&_sid=2048038
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline phruitpie

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 13:35:47 »
well funny enough i found a seller on ebay selling a bag-o-keys most are over 100 afew over 300 full of SA profile keys. but all one charicter. "." "read" "write" "10" "11" etc. kinda halarious and only 20+shipping might have to pick up a bag just to have extra keys lying around.

http://www.ebay.com/sme/Keyboards-Mice-Pointing-/3676/so.html?_ssn=sunagainfarm&_soffid=5&_sme=Free-shipping-on-orders-over-80&_soffType=PromotionalShipping&_seedid=181938797517&_ipg=96&_sid=2048038

Hey it's like a crap bag but without the chaos haha Personally I could go for a bag of those gray "write" caps, cool find man.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 13:43:57 »
I bought 2 bags. I sure hope they are cherry compatability but they were for old POS systems and Gass stations so there is a fair chance.
Projects

Offline phruitpie

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 14:37:42 »
I bought 2 bags. I sure hope they are cherry compatability but they were for old POS systems and Gass stations so there is a fair chance.

Stems were cruciform so yep there's a good chance. If they end up being too big for the MX stem you could always take a small piece of tape and place it over the stem before putting the caps on - that'll help fill up the gaps. Best of luck, hope it works out!

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 14:39:27 »
Hot glue even :D
Projects

Offline phruitpie

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 14:47:19 »
Hot glue even :D

A more permanent option for sure hahaha gotta be careful that doesn't seep inside the switch :eek:

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 14:48:28 »
True. But I'm hopeful. The seller took a calipers to the inside and HR read 4.7mm which is close. May be one of those cheap calipers that's always off by abit. So I'm hopeful it will work well.
Projects

Offline phruitpie

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 15:30:47 »
True. But I'm hopeful. The seller took a calipers to the inside and HR read 4.7mm which is close. May be one of those cheap calipers that's always off by abit. So I'm hopeful it will work well.

That's one hell of a seller. Most won't even pull off a cap when I ask LOL

Not too familiar with the actual cruciform width of the mx stem, but hopefully that 4.7mm comes close.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 21:26:46 »
yeah apparently he used to replace keys for POS and gas station terminals so there is a likelyhood they are cherry we shall see.
Projects

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 05:02:12 »
You could stalk for "crap bags" being sold in classifieds.

Also, any SA profile keycaps set. There should be some available in classifieds and if not, there are interest checks running for quite a few new designs. Seems all the SA sets on PMK have either run out of base kits or mods, so you can't fill a board with any single set from there right now, unfortunately.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.