Author Topic: Where to buy Vintage MX Black or Nixdorf Mx Blacks  (Read 9930 times)

Offline filcomanfilthy

Where to buy Vintage MX Black or Nixdorf Mx Blacks
« on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 10:18:11 »
Hi, I have an unlimited budget and am looking to buy either nixdorf mx black keycaps or vintage mx black keycaps. Any ideas?
Filthy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Where to buy Vintage MX Black or Nixdorf Mx Blacks
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 10:19:19 »
er you want keycaps or the switches?
I love Elzy

Offline filcomanfilthy

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 10:29:09 »
the switches sorry
Filthy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 10:31:34 »
Generally you buy them from people who happen to have them, nixdorfs are very hard to come by. So go make a classifieds post or something.

Or get lucky finding an old keyboard that happens to have them and then desolder them and clean them.
I love Elzy

Offline filcomanfilthy

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 10:33:15 »
Alright thanks for the advice!
Filthy

Offline the_ambyguous

• there's a fine line between click and clack
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 01:35:51 »
Congrats on having an unlimited budget, for nixdorf's youre going to need it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SIEMENS-NIXDORF-Tastatur-Mechanical-Keyboard-BA80-BA-80-Clicky-MX-transparent/122917465198?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

vendor selling nixdorf keyboards. hes got a few for sale
Magnavox Typewriter | AEK64 | 658-4081 | Leading Edge 3501 | Omnikey Orange | 197Stotle | MPC2000

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 08:05:21 »
It's not the stems that make the difference, It's the Housing.

What you really want is the Vintage mx housing.  It could be blue/red/green/ ANY COLOR

I've tested this extensively.  In a well worn housing, even if you put a new stem in it's smooth.

In a brand new scratchy housing, even if you put in a worn vintage stem, it still feels scratchy.

Quick reminder:  Desoldering is VERY treacherous,  Most of the time, newbies think they're doin it right. But they're actually Way overheating the switch.

As the copper gets hot, the plastic which holds them in place become soft, and can MOVE.  So if you put pressure against the pin, held long enough (could be less than 1sec),  it could very well cause the switch to deviate from spec.

Always desolder 1 leg at a time on ALL switches,  then go back after the switch has cooled, and do the other leg.  This is much safer than doing both legs at once,  again,  More heat for longer , the worse it gets.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 12:01:13 »
It's not the stems that make the difference, It's the Housing.

What you really want is the Vintage mx housing.  It could be blue/red/green/ ANY COLOR

I've tested this extensively.  In a well worn housing, even if you put a new stem in it's smooth.

In a brand new scratchy housing, even if you put in a worn vintage stem, it still feels scratchy.

Quick reminder:  Desoldering is VERY treacherous,  Most of the time, newbies think they're doin it right. But they're actually Way overheating the switch.

As the copper gets hot, the plastic which holds them in place become soft, and can MOVE.  So if you put pressure against the pin, held long enough (could be less than 1sec),  it could very well cause the switch to deviate from spec.

Always desolder 1 leg at a time on ALL switches,  then go back after the switch has cooled, and do the other leg.  This is much safer than doing both legs at once,  again,  More heat for longer , the worse it gets.

I didn't know that was a thing. I though Cherry housings where good against heat then other switches. I personally haven't really had any problems with desoldering both legs with out letting it cool. But thanks for the tip it makes sense i will desolder 1 leg at a time now  :). Also i never really put pressure against the leg mostly put the tip in the solder and let it flow before i use a solder sucker maybe because of that i never had issues who knows.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 12:41:34 »
I have around 80 right now. They work, but are (literally) stuffed full of dust and lint. Even more amazing is that they were on my daily driver Wyse for more than a year. Scratchy but worked flawlessly.
I guess that shows the durability of old Cherry switches.