Author Topic: [GB] GMK Iconographic - GB Postponed, Updates to follow  (Read 61446 times)

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
[GB] GMK Iconographic - GB Postponed, Updates to follow
« on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 06:17:25 »

INSPIRATION

259202-1

The inspiration for the set is the album cover for Floral Shoppe and the Iconography of ancient times that are a cornerstone of Vaporwave Aesthetics.

WHERE TO BUY:
North America: Mechs & Co
Europe: MyKeyboard
Australia & Oceania: Dailyclack
South East Asia: Monokei
Canada: Deskhero
China: Zfrontier EN/ Zfrontier CN

259409-2

A note on pricing:
Following deciding kit pricing in November, the dollar has fallen from .85 to .81 to the euro, which effectively means a loss of 6 euros per basekit on the old pricing versus then.
For this reason we were forced to increase US pricing in order to maintain the price in euros, which is the currency that GMK invoices us in for production; to avoid making a loss per kit at the current moq of 250.

This group buy for GMK keycaps is open from January 8th and runs through February 5th.
The sale format is a Group Buy pre-order, that if successful in meeting the minimum order quantity has an estimated production lead time of 10 months

KITS:

HELIOS ヘリオス
(Katakana mono-legend basekit)

259194-3

This is the complete basekit

SPACEBARS スペースキー
(Spacebar kit)

259196-4

If you forget the spacebars

GAIJIN 外人
(Latin add-on kit)

259198-5

Not everyone is a touch-typist, that's okay.

NOSTALGIA 懐古
(Novelty kit)

259200-6

In your heart you are dwelling on the past

BOARD RENDERS by Pikku-allu

Ex Arkhes

259206-7

259208-8

259210-9

[Artkey] x [Iconographic]

// Cotton Candy Sirius, Felix and Ursa / 25 Nov 9:00 AM ICT /

// Cotton Candy Bull V2 & Devourer / 28 Nov 9:00 AM ICT /

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH-k3lwBAv_/

259212-10

COLOURS

Alphas: Pantone 190c
Legends: Pantone 3385c
Mods: RAL 080 60 05

259192-11

Thanks to Pikku-Allu

TECHNICAL SPECS, LEAD TIMES AND DISCLAIMERS

• Made in Germany by GMK electronic design GmbH
  • Cherry profile (1-1-2-3-4-4)
  • Compatible with MX style switches
  • 1.5mm thick double-shot ABS plastic keycaps
  • A minimum 10 month lead time is estimated before delivery
  • Please note that the images rendered are a 3D representation for illustration purposes, and may differ from how you see the colours in the final product. Many factors such the monitor used to view colours can effect the way they are perceived

« Last Edit: Mon, 25 January 2021, 06:10:08 by Lil »

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
Re: [GB] GMK Iconographic [January 8th through February 5th]
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 06:37:10 »
Reserved for updates

Offline of_sam

Re: [GB] GMK Iconographic [January 8th through February 5th]
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 07:29:51 »
Glwb
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
Re: [GB] GMK Iconographic - GB Live! [January 8th through February 5th]
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 January 2021, 17:45:28 »
GB now live in all regions!

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 00:03:33 »
Just wanted to say I dig the header image, the funky type with that retro grain is so aesthetic ✨

Offline mutthunt

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 07:35:25 »
After following this set for so long, it looks like the EU proxy no longer ships to the UK... All the best with the GB

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 10:50:44 »
After following this set for so long, it looks like the EU proxy no longer ships to the UK... All the best with the GB

As far as I'm aware this is a short term problem whilst brexit is being finalised for sets currently shipping, but there shouldn't be an issue by the time that this set delivers. That being said, for future GBs I will contact Jae to be the UK vendor

Offline mutthunt

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 12:59:21 »

As far as I'm aware this is a short term problem whilst brexit is being finalised for sets currently shipping, but there shouldn't be an issue by the time that this set delivers. That being said, for future GBs I will contact Jae to be the UK vendor

I appreciate it, obviously its just unfortunate timing. I'll see if there's a workaround if there's no change by February

Offline dizpimpin48

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 17:20:53 »
I really wanted this set for my wife's first build but I cant justify spending $200 just to have an English set. I was miffed I spent like $140 on the Serika set for my sons first kb. :(

Offline gleneston

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 15:53:50 »
Any chance for a R2 with English alphas in the base set?

Offline andreiborisov

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 15:37:12 »
Is there a Discord server to follow updates after the GB?

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 12:20:42 »
Just wanted to say I dig the header image, the funky type with that retro grain is so aesthetic ✨

Glwb

Thanks both!

Any chance for a R2 with English alphas in the base set?

I can't say for for sure what may or not happen in the future, but a R2 probably wouldn't happen unless there is sufficient demand.

Is there a Discord server to follow updates after the GB?

Yes, I will make a discord server for updates on this set and my upcoming keyboard GB. I will post a link here when it's available

Offline Tyson

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 14:13:38 »
Any update on numbers, excited to see how this is doing!

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 19:18:15 »

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 19:35:32 »
Numbers are quite low right now unfortunately, I think that might just be a reflection of how many sets are running and by virtue of being sandwiched between Serika and Muted. I expect things to pick up towards the end of the month and the beginning of February, so I am still hopeful.

Offline therealemanuelmartinez

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 00:07:43 »
Since GB is running with a few quirks I just wanted to add some personal comments, since those numbers also look horrifying to me and I need to cope somehow.

I can't live without this set, it's both my first set and true "endgame", but I think the group buy could've been postponed somehow to accomodate the issues with currencies/manufacturing. I'm guessing you considered that and I trust your judgement. I have massive respect for how much you used IC feedback in developing this set and I hope it ends up meeting its MOQ, since I'm still in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rivals

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 10:42:46 »
Really excited for this set, hope to see those numbers jump.

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 10:52:59 »
Numbers are quite low right now unfortunately, I think that might just be a reflection of how many sets are running and by virtue of being sandwiched between Serika and Muted. I expect things to pick up towards the end of the month and the beginning of February, so I am still hopeful.
I think it's also about the lack of latin alphas in base kit compared to many other sets have them in base. People will look for a reason to skip one in order to choose between many good sets.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 January 2021, 11:01:57 by nvh2092 »

Offline gleneston

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 13:15:42 »
I think it's also about the lack of latin alphas in base kit compared to many other sets have them in base. People will look for a reason to skip one in order to choose between many good sets.

Unfortunately that's the case for me. Though I really love the colorway, my wallet doesn't love the price. I would have 100% joined the GB if the alphas were English.   

Offline Nuap

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 17:07:06 »
I think the poor numbers are definitely a reflection of the price to attain a latin alpha base kit. Having a separate latin alphas kit, and numpad in the base, just brings the price too high. I wish this set ran with a cut down base kit (separate numpad), and with an option for Katakana base kit & Latin base kit.

Offline RF500

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 18:09:28 »
I like the set but I need the alphas as well and that really brings up the price. :/

Offline andreiborisov

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 01:21:11 »
What will happen if some of the kits I've ordered not going to meet the MOQ?

Is postponing or prolonging a GB an option? Or maybe swapping alphas between the kits.

This set is too good to fall victim to unfortunate kitting and timing! :'(
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 January 2021, 01:52:42 by andreiborisov »

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 02:02:38 »
What will happen if some of the kits I've ordered not going to meet the MOQ?

Is postponing or prolonging a GB an option? Or maybe swapping alphas between the kits.

This set is too good to fall victim to unfortunate kitting and timing! :'(
It'll depend on the sale, some vendors will try to buy out a certain number of kits if MOQ is close. You can see it in the gb thread of gmk yuri 2 or jtk grisanne.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 January 2021, 02:07:27 by nvh2092 »

Offline outsider

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 21:35:27 »
I’m in if the Latin alphas were the default.

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
Re: [GB] GMK Iconographic - GB Postponed
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 06:09:33 »
Thanks everyone for the comments and the support. The GB is being postponed currently, so people should be getting their refunds from their respective vendors along normal timelines. I think normally refunds can take 3 to 10 days, but I am not sure when they will be processed as depending on the region it may take longer for the banks to transfer funds. For example, if you live in Europe but bought from Zfrontier. Please be patient with them.

There are several reasons why the set may not have been on track to make moq

.The dollar falling versus the euro meaning that the basekit was 10USD more expensive than planned in regions outside of EU, in order to keep the same euro pricing at 250moq, because gmk invoices in euros for production
.My underestimation of the importance of Latin legends to those otherwise interested in purchasing the set
.Overlapping GB timelines with popular sets that most in the community would've joined, like Serika at the beginning of the GB and Muted through the rest. I think only the most enthusiastic in the hobby tend to buy more than one set a month, which left just a short window for the majority of people to buy in February. Unfortunately because Muted was announced late there wasn't a way to avoid this

Looking at feedback going forward I will be
.Changing the set to Katakana sub legends, meaning the set will have both Japanese Kana and Latin legends
.Removing the alpha coloured f row, and considering removing 40% support in favour of potentially adding alice spacebars into the basekit, or purely making the price point more attractive for the majority of people

As always I am open to your thoughts, and intend to rerun the set once I have made the necessary changes it needs to be successful.

There should be updates on kitting and renders following, along with my plan going forward once it has been decided

Offline andreiborisov

Re: [GB] GMK Iconographic - GB Postponed, Updates to follow
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 06:33:30 »
I’m afraid the business of sub legends may ruin the gorgeous aesthetic of this set.

I understand that swapping Katakana alphas in its own kit may face the same challenges as we have now and we’ll end up with Latin only variant, but I still strongly prefer mono legends even if it’s going to be Latin only.

Other changes are totally reasonable and welcome IMO.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 January 2021, 08:47:16 by andreiborisov »

Offline andreiborisov

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 06:48:26 »
I understand that you want to preserve a Japanese influence from the inspiration so here is an idea: what if you make some keys with sub legends/Katakana only and some Latin only? Seems like a good match for the album cover:

260514-0

I'd say it's even cooler than the previous variant.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 January 2021, 08:35:11 by andreiborisov »

Offline of_sam

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 08:30:46 »
Sorry to hear this. It's a very unique set. I hope it runs again in the future.
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 09:12:23 »
I understand that you want to preserve a Japanese influence from the inspiration so here is an idea: what if you make some keys with sub legends/Katakana only and some Latin only? Seems like a good match for the album cover:

(Attachment Link)

This is not a good idea either. I think the safest choice is japanese-sublegends or mono latin alphas at the least.

Offline ZavaZ86

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 10:38:24 »
One thing that I would be sad about would be that current base would be swapped to katakana sub legends or just plain latin since it takes away the theme and astechtics.

Offline koolaidpapa

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 11:55:59 »
Sad to hear about the postponement. I, for one, like the set but personally would not purchase for myself but I can definitely see the appeal in it. I also think this was a very well thought out response on your steps moving forward with the set. Best of luck in the future!

Offline rivals

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 13:41:04 »
Bummed about it being postponed as well, but I think that going back to the drawing board on how this is kitted will make the GB more successful. It's a tough set to do in a way that everyone's happy with.

I'll throw my opinions out as well in case they make a difference. I agree with the sentiment others have that doing subs will feel a bit crowded and messy on this set (I'd still be in for it, fwiw), though that is likely the most pragmatic approach. The other option of course is to swap the base kit to latins and offer katakana as an additional kit, but then you'll likely still face the same MOQ woes with that add-on. Definitely don't think there's a clear answer on this one.

Offline krugerlive

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 21:12:17 »
Bummer it's delayed, but I get it.  I was going to jump into this kit closer to close simply because the past 6 weeks has been a gauntlet of good sets for gb.  The base price was a bit higher, but eith the euro it makes sense.  I honestly think the numbers are mainly because so many other good sets are running.  Personally, I love the legends as they are and don't like the aesthetics of the latin ones as well.  This is a vaporwave set, so it should have that look. 

If the base set had the extra b and alice space bars, it would be amazing. 

Offline kaikaikai

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 22:32:16 »
Was one who purchased the set! Looking forward to it being released again!

Offline n1KKei

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 06:21:05 »
Oh, dang it! I was looking forward buying this set early february since I missed out on the Mecha-01..

Well, maybe you can take this time to fix some of the letters in the set? I really like the katakana set, but I feel GMK WoB Katakana has better letters with the modifiers being fully icons and also keeping that F-row katakana as well.

Offline RideOrPie

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 16:07:08 »
I think this is a great, unique looking set. I ordered the base, latin alphas and spacebars. As a 40s user the base kit doesn't really have all the keys I'd need. Any chance you would consider a 40s kit?

Offline Prestley

• Twitch
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 16:14:44 »
I checked on mechs and co and was wondering why it was missing! I'll be sure to keep updated for a future release. :)

Offline Almost

• Zs Xe
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 03:02:05 »
Thanks so much for postponing it!!

Really really hope UK shipping will be sorted out by then, it's apparantly an arse for small businesses. Janky proxies must be making $bank$
Kbds: KOBO Red Carbon - Filco MJT2 Beige - Topre U23 - Cherry 3700 - Model F XT 5155
Sets: Dolch R1 - Red Alert - Hyperfuse R1 - Cherry WoB - Plum

Offline bukowski

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 09:50:35 »
at feedback going forward I will be
.Changing the set to Katakana sub legends, meaning the set will have both Japanese Kana and Latin legends

Sad to hear that. In that case the set is no longer interesting to me since I dont use ANSI layout and without a NorDeUK kit there is just not enough compatibility.

Offline n1KKei

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 04:08:27 »
at feedback going forward I will be

Sad to hear that. In that case the set is no longer interesting to me since I dont use ANSI layout and without a NorDeUK kit there is just not enough compatibility.

Same for me, I really feel this works as latin or katakana, not both. Don't get me wrong, I like keycaps with both, but I feel it doesn't work for this one. I also am from Europe so having those latin keys makes no sense if I use ISO Enter.

Offline saltimate

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 05:56:03 »
sublegends are sh!t
people chose sub over mono are cun.ts and can **** off

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 06:49:13 »
sublegends are sh!t
Buyers prefer Latin Alphas. In order to preserve the weeb theme, sublegends are the safest choice.

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 07:12:22 »
sublegends are sh!t

Yeah I wish more sets offered mono legends either in base or as an addon. I give the OP props for doing mono on this set, the colors weren't for me or there was a strong chance I'd have been in.

The only time I like sublegends are on historically inspired sets ala CRP.

Offline question Mark

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 09:28:09 »
It's sad to see this GB fail. I've followed this set from the start, because I love everything about it. For me the theme only makes sense with the Katakana mono legends. I would not buy it with Latin alphas or sublegends. Having to buy an add-on kit with Katakana legends would be a tough choice for me.
It's hard to tell what caused this set to fail right at the start. I really hope it's the other boring but popular (re-run) sets running in January that kept people from buying it.
So please leave the Katakana mono legends in base!

Offline dimo

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 18:28:26 »

(Attachment Link)

i like this :]

Offline andreiborisov

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 11:06:18 »
I've just come to say that this set is by far the most anticipated set of all the upcoming sets for me. Please, don't give up on this.

btw, another issue that wasn't mentioned earlier which is a possible reason for failing to meet the MOQ is the lack of advertisement. You didn't even include incredible AKB renders from IC in the GB thread/vendors pages. I'm pretty sure they alone would sell a couple of sets.

Offline spoopycheezy

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 20:25:00 »
had i known about this set; instant buy. but i never seen it until now. i has sad

Offline dimo

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 18 March 2021, 17:44:00 »
NO SUB.

Offline P103

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 12:20:06 »
Please come back Iconographic.

Offline saltimate

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 17:19:53 »
sublegends are sh!t
Buyers prefer Latin Alphas. In order to preserve the weeb theme, sublegends are the safest choice.

or here is a crazy idea; normies can have their ****ty latin (mono or with sublegends) in the base, and add an alt alphas kit which is mono anything but latin

also @Lil maybe this set would do better as pbt (ie not gmk), there would be more kitting options and maybe more people would be interested if it was cheaper. i ****ing hate gmk, shiny ass overpriced garbage which cucks non-normie layouts.
imo this set would do well with somthing which doesnt rely on a "base kit" ie you chose an alphas kit and a mods kit separately. this way you cant alienate one group of people by trying to be true to the aesthetic in the base kit because there is no base kit.