Author Topic: Raised Mousepads  (Read 6536 times)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
Raised Mousepads
« on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 10:41:47 »
Good morning fellow keyboard enthusiasts,

Today is my full work day utilizing my sit to stand desk. My feet and legs are nearly trembling due to ~20 years of being off my feet 99% of the time. It's really sad when you're 29 years old and your body has spent over 2/3 of its life sitting or laying down... the major negative impact of technology.

Anyways, the uneven nature of a mouse on a mousepad and resting your wrist on a wristpad for typing is becoming more and more apparent.

Have any of you put something under your mousepad to prop it up, leveling out where your arms naturally lie on a desk? I know you're supposed to float above the keyboard but this is impossible to do consistently... for me at least... and especially while gaming.

I am tempted to try a textbook or something of this nature as a temporary fix but would love to come up with something more permenant. I am using one of those jumbo mousepads as a low sensitivity FPS player, and I could essentially upholstered a block shape of some kind, wrapping the edges of the mousepad around it to make it look decent.

Has anyone done this or attempted something similar?

Thanks,
Bryan

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Raised Mousepads
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 10:51:13 »
I put a book (or rather a hardcover notebook) under my mousepad/trackball to get it to keyboard'skeytop level; everything is on a tray in elbow height. When I'm gaming, I put two stacked thick Grifiti palmrests in front of the keyboard to rest my palm.

Offline VentureG

Raised Mousepads
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 12:10:42 »
After an all nighter drawing diagrams for my software design class, my wrist was very sore. Squeezing my pencil in class made my whole hand hurt. I looked up rotated mouse mats and the only thing that came up didn't look like something I wanted to use.

I took some inspiration from the angled ergo dox and bought a hard aluminum mouse pad. Then I used some large 1/2 inch sorbothane feet on the left side of the pad to give it an angle. I'm on mobile right now but I can get links when I get home. 

This has relieved a lot of strain from my wrist, though it's definitely not the most practical solution. My boss at work uses one of those vertical mice. While the sensor doesn't seem super high performance, I can see how that would achieve the same effect.

Take care of yourself!

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 15:42:45 »
I would love to see some pictures of what you guys are talking about!!

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 16:29:01 »
My raised trackball a year ago. I use something quite similar nowadays. I guess VentureG has it angled using feet on one side of the pad.

Offline VentureG

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 17:37:16 »
I used this hard mouse pad along with something along the lines of these feet to do this.

133786-0

While the resulting angle isn't huge, the small amount of lift and angle makes it much nicer for long mouse sessions.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 01:47:42 »
Do you have an anti-fatigue floor mat?  They actually work pretty well, I'd guess I could comfortably stand at my desk twice as long for the same for the same effort as without one.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 14:50:30 »
Do you have an anti-fatigue floor mat?  They actually work pretty well, I'd guess I could comfortably stand at my desk twice as long for the same for the same effort as without one.

I am going to be looking into those soon. There are a lot of things I'm looking at buying :D

Ergodox parts
Planck on the way at some point
Floor mat
Springs for my Pok3r for 65 ergoclear, to go w/ my KUL 82