Author Topic: Cherry MX Black + Limited 62g Spring from Originative  (Read 9885 times)

Offline phoenix1234

Cherry MX Black + Limited 62g Spring from Originative
« on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 04:06:06 »
This is my first time to write a review in GeekHack, so I am going to write a short review to share my experiment of mixing Cherry MX Black and Limited 62g Spring from Originative.

The intention of this experiment is supposed to help anyone who is going to mod their own keyboard with low budget, so I will use low-cost preparation :

Soldering Iron + tip (8$+1.5$)
Prokit Desoldering Pump (5$)
3m Soldering wire Asahi 60Sn/40Pb (2$)

For low-cost setup, I think these would be enough. However, it would great if you have other professional tools like Hakko soldering station, Soldapullt desoldering pump, Kester soldering wire lead-free.

In this experiment, I will use a new CM Quick Fire Rapid to save costs.

+ open the case and desolder all switches :

+ prepare springs, clean them with isopropyl
[original Cherry MX Black vs Limited Spring 62g from Originative]

* The limited spring 62g is close to original Cherry MX Black, it only has one more round than original spring. Technically, it will be lighter. Plus, the original spring is shinier than limited 62 spring. Perhaps, it is because of material differences.

+ open switch, lube stems housing, springs and stems with high viscosity grease (I was told it is Krytox GPL 205)

+ assemble the switch together after lubed

+ solder the switches back to the pcb

*even I used low-cost soldering iron, it still works, the solder points are still shinny and clean enough.

+ assemble cable, case, stabilizers

Now it comes to the best part, my feeling of the switch after modded.

Well, I need to say the feeling is great :p even I only use stock ABS keycaps. The level of smoothness is very high due to high quality grease. It is not so springy as original Cherry MX Black but definitely it is stronger than original Mx Red due to the Limited version of 62g Spring that I ordered from Originative.

Updated:
Today, I received the imsto PBT keycap + RGB set from Ivan Groupbuy, so I put them into this keyboard.
The feeling on this PBT set is even better than on stock ABS set because of plastic material and thickness.

References:
Lube Kits
http://www.originativeco.com/collections/kbd-accessories-1/products/lube-kit
* If you want to lube Linear switches, you need to use thin formula (Krytox GPL 206/1506 premixed)

Springs:
http://www.originativeco.com/collections/kbd-accessories-1/products/springs
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 November 2013, 06:18:16 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
Re: Cherry MX Black + Limited 62g Spring from Originative
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 04:33:41 »
Those are some really cheap soldering components. Was it hard/did it take a long time to do all the soldering?

I'm planning to do this exact mod soon with the same limited 62g springs and the Originative X GH lube kit. So excited to try the switches out!

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 04:42:02 »
Those are some really cheap soldering components. Was it hard/did it take a long time to do all the soldering?

I'm planning to do this exact mod soon with the same limited 62g springs and the Originative X GH lube kit. So excited to try the switches out!

It took me about 30-45 minutes to desolder all switches carefully with no fried point on the pcb. Please note that this soldering iron has temperature control but it is not as correct as other professional soldering station. I set the temperature to about 280-300 °C. It is required about 2-3s to melt the existing solder before I use the pump to suck away molten solder.
I like linear switches

Offline Beca

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 04:49:04 »

It took me about 30-45 minutes to desolder all switches carefully with no fried point on the pcb. Please note that this soldering iron has temperature control but it is not as correct as other professional soldering station. I set the temperature to about 280-300 °C. It is required about 2-3s to melt the existing solder before I use the pump to suck away molten solder.
That sounds really fast, actually. Where did you get the soldering equipment from?

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 05:33:18 »

That sounds really fast, actually. Where did you get the soldering equipment from?

Yes, it's pretty fast. Actually, it works seamlessly.
The rule of thumbs is not to heat the pcb for more than 3s.
I got my soldering equipments from local market in Vietnam.
It was manufactured by H.H.Electronics Instrument Co Ltd (China, I supposed)
You can find the same item (60W) as mine here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-220V-60W-Professional-Electric-Soldering-Iron-Adjustable-Temperature-200-400-/151085793277?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232d6a3ffd
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220V-Heat-Gun-Welding-Adjustable-Electric-Temperature-Soldering-Iron-Tool-60W-/400367719055

or 40W here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-220v-240V-40W-2-Flat-Pin-Plug-Temperature-Adjustable-Electric-Soldering-Iron-/230974573241?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c7284ab9
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 November 2013, 05:40:01 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline Beca

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 November 2013, 16:35:56 »

Yes, it's pretty fast. Actually, it works seamlessly.
The rule of thumbs is not to heat the pcb for more than 3s.
I got my soldering equipments from local market in Vietnam.
It was manufactured by H.H.Electronics Instrument Co Ltd (China, I supposed)
You can find the same item (60W) as mine here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-220V-60W-Professional-Electric-Soldering-Iron-Adjustable-Temperature-200-400-/151085793277?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232d6a3ffd
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220V-Heat-Gun-Welding-Adjustable-Electric-Temperature-Soldering-Iron-Tool-60W-/400367719055

or 40W here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-220v-240V-40W-2-Flat-Pin-Plug-Temperature-Adjustable-Electric-Soldering-Iron-/230974573241?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c7284ab9

Thank you for the links!  :D I wanted to start with a cheap setup but I wasn't sure what was a decent iron to use.

Offline theMANtonio

• Go Hawks
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 00:04:12 »
Thanks for the write up. I thought you needed all these expensive parts to start soldering switches. I'll make sure to keep this post bookmarked for reference.  :thumb:

Offline Suichoy

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 18:41:12 »
Great review and pictures! Would you be able to create a video showing the sound of typing on this keyboard?

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 22:32:44 »
Great review and pictures! Would you be able to create a video showing the sound of typing on this keyboard?

Sure, here is 15s typing on the keyboard.
I hope the sound recorder from my phone is acceptable.
I like linear switches

Offline Canious

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 22:50:19 »
Wow that is one detailed review, the keyboard looks neat - hope you continue liking it  :thumb:

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 00:17:09 »
The painted case looks awesome

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 00:52:42 »
Very nice review!
I've got to try linears some time xD
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 05:25:02 »
Very nice review!
I've got to try linears some time xD

Indeed, you should.
Linear switches are great  :thumb:
I like linear switches

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 05:27:43 »
The painted case looks awesome

Thanks,

Here are steps that how I painted it (I mentioned about these in another thread)

+ clean existing paint from QFR and paint the case

+ all together after painted

I like linear switches

Offline Comment

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 22:23:28 »
Can anyone tell me what the difference between a limited 62g spring and a regular 62g spring is?
Check out my WTB/WTS/WTTF Thread!

HHKB Pro 2                 Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 22:29:15 »
Can anyone tell me what the difference between a limited 62g spring and a regular 62g spring is?

According to Sherraton, the limited springs have a bit less variation than normal spring.
However, I'm not sure that our fingers can notice the differences.
 ;D
I like linear switches

Offline Comment

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 22:45:15 »

According to Sherraton, the limited springs have a bit less variation than normal spring.
 ;D
Ah thank you! Also, can you provide reference for where you purchased your tools so cheaply? I've heard that it can really mess people up if your soldering iron doesn't have adjustable heat settings, but your soldering looks pristine! Any insight on that?
Check out my WTB/WTS/WTTF Thread!

HHKB Pro 2                 Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 03:29:10 »

;D
Ah thank you! Also, can you provide reference for where you purchased your tools so cheaply? I've heard that it can really mess people up if your soldering iron doesn't have adjustable heat settings, but your soldering looks pristine! Any insight on that?

If you are looking for cheap soldering iron with temperature control as mine, you can look on ebay as mentioned above post. However, been there and done that, I can confirm to you that the temperature is not correct as Hakko or high quality tools.

If you are US-base customer, you should  take a look at this post
GEEKHACKERS GROUP BUY #2: LEARN TO SOLDER KITS
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52851.0

I'm pretty sure they have very good quality & acceptable price.

« Last Edit: Tue, 14 January 2014, 03:34:42 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 13:09:18 »

;D

This is called kung-fu. Aka, Skill Level Asian. In this era of peace, Chor La Heung or Yeung Gor would be wielding forceps, scalpels or soldering kits instead of weapons.

I giggle at the thought of soldering being most similar to acupoint sealing kung-fu. (Phoenix, you know what I am talking about, right?)
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 19:45:33 »

;D

This is called kung-fu. Aka, Skill Level Asian. In this era of peace, Chor La Heung or Yeung Gor would be wielding forceps, scalpels or soldering kits instead of weapons.

I giggle at the thought of soldering being most similar to acupoint sealing kung-fu. (Phoenix, you know what I am talking about, right?)

:))
I like linear switches