Author Topic: Nixeus Moda with Kailh Brown Switches  (Read 12181 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Nixeus Moda with Kailh Brown Switches
« on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 17:48:26 »

Nixeus Moda and addons. Full photo album can be found here

Introduction

I was lucky enough to get a hold of a Nixeus Moda with Kailh switches. I have wanted to try Kailh switches for myself and this current review is my second foray into Kailh switches. Please check out my review on the Keycool 84 for multiple opinions on Kailh switches.  Unlike the Keycool board, this one has Kailh Browns switches. The Keycool 84 review has more information about the Kaihua switches. Since I covered that information previously, I’m going to skip over that here.

Nixeus’ website describes itself as “providing consumers…with multimedia solutions”. They offer monitors, HDMI cables, media players similar to Apple TV, earbuds, and mechanical keyboards. The media players and earbuds seem to be discontinued though. After talking to a Nixeus representative, this is their first foray into making mechanical keyboards.

The Nixeus Moda is (almost) a tenkeyless keyboard that sports Kailh brown switches, as I previously stated. Nixeus’ website for the Moda can be found here.  These are switches have, as the Kaihua site states, “brown shafts with ergonomic pressure points”.  I’ll talk about the switches more at a later time. 

Aesthetics
This one design choice bugs me so much about this keyboard that I wanted to point it out first. Why in the world do we have a hollow section with stiffening ribs?? It’s literally a depression. I would *LOVE* to have it sport a screw-on cover like the top section. It is extremely unsightly and off-putting. Sure it is stiff and functional but I really don’t like it.

In addition to these stiffening ribs, I am not a fan of the fake molded screwheads on the top of the keyboard. I think the board is going for this conglomerate of gamer, industrial, and pseudo-military styling. It just isn’t for me. I do like the angles of the board but I really don’t care for the random bolts or stripes on top. And I don’t really know how the little blockers above the arrow cluster makes me feel. I vacillate between indifferent and dislike. 

[/

The font on the keycaps and the logo is ok. I don’t love or hate it but I wish it had more consistency. For example, the kerning on the “o” in Caps Lock is off and the “a” look off. So is the kerning on Esc, F1, and F10. If the font was more consistent, I think it would be better than the Razer Blackwidow and CoolerMaster Quick Fire Rapid fonts.  The fonts are pad printed and it looks like the process needs some adjustment since the logos for the house and volume keys aren’t completely filled in.

If I ignore the bezel’s styling, I think the shape of the keyboard would actually be nice. It sort of reminds me of the Data911 TG3 keyboard (the cop car or police cruiser keyboard).  I also like the textured bottom. The logos are simple, like the color scheme.

Finally, I like that the cable is not detachable and has a ferrite. Sometimes it’s nice just to not have to fumble with another cable and another bit.

Build
I’m going to preface this section by saying I believe that the construction of the keyboard includes some form of bonding or welding. I couldn’t figure out how to separate the case bottom to yield the PCB and case top for my inspection. I don’t want to destroy this board so for now, it will stay together.

For all the things I don’t like aesthetically with this keyboard, I actually think it’s solidly built. First off I think that the plate is a fiberglass one. It is not metal. That alters how the keyboard feels and I actually think it helps to dampen the vibrations a little. Sort of like how the drawer liner trick works in boards with metal plates. The plate also has an odd bump in it which seems to space the function row curiously. I’m not sure of the purpose of it but it exists.

Something else I dislike is the stabilized keys on this board. It seems like they’re costar-esque but I’m not sure how the caps are supposed to sit. I couldn’t figure out how to reattach the stabilized key to the stabilizer wire. An issue if you’re going to use the stock caps on say the spacebar. Also the stabilizer has gobs of yellow grease that smears easily everywhere.

Picture of the backspace. Brightness set intentionally high to show cap detail

Stabilizer, plate, and Kailh switch closeup

I believe the rest of the case and caps are ABS. Again, I don’t want to do any destructive testing so I won’t be doing the acetone test on either the caps or the case. I should point out that in addition to the stock caps, there are replacement WASD and arrow caps which are blue. And there is a little blue ring keypuller. The board overall feels solid and actually relatively hefty.  This Moda weighs 1 lb 14.4 oz (848 g). Compare this to a stock Leopold FC700R with a metal plate, PBT case, and PBT caps which comes in at 2 lb 8.1 oz (959 g).

The Moda caps (right) are thinner compared to GMK caps (left). Brightness is intentionally set high to show the detail of the cap.

The Moda extra caps and puller.

On the reserve side, the Moda has two flip out feet for increasing the angle and four rubber pads.  However in contrast the the FC700R’s feet, the Moda doesn’t have rubber tipping. In use, I didn’t have any problems with it sliding around I always like little details.

In terms of the layout, I actually like it a lot. I like how the navigation cluster and function row are close to the alphas.

Since I couldn’t get the board completely apart, I’m going to judge the rest of the board based on the breakout board. The breakout board is relatively thick. The soldering job is just ok. I think that the PCB might be better than the QFR but not on par with say a Ducky PCB.

« Last Edit: Tue, 04 November 2014, 13:32:28 by CPTBadAss »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Nixeus Moda with Kailh Brown Switches
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 17:50:52 »
Switch Feeling
The primary purpose of me being interested in this Nixeus Moda and the Keycool 87 was to try out the new Kailh switches. I always like to try keyboards and switches to form my own opinion on them. Nixeus advertises on the Moda box that Kailh Browns have “soft tactile feedback”. I stated previously that the Kaihua website advertises that their Browns have “ergonomic pressure points”.  I want to share my opinion and say that these remind me of Ergo-Clears. By Ergo-Clears I mean the original version with MX Red/Blue/ Brown springs or 55g springs.

Now the bump isn’t as pronounced as the ergo-clears but I remember forming this association when unboxing the board and trying out the switches. But I think this association isn’t too far off. The tactile bump is *much* more pronounced in these switches than the MX Brown. I think that those switches have a subdued and rather lacking tactile bump. When I test the MX Browns, I question whether or not I can sense the bump. With these switches, I don’t find myself questioning this. It’s there but not as strong as MX Clears.  Actually, if you have tried Orange Alps switches, they are very similar to that feeling.

The actuation force listed on the Kaihua website is 60 g +/- 15g (where g = grams of force). MX Browns are listed at 45 g +/- 19 . Since there is so much tolerance in the switches, I find it hard to trust the numbers. To me, the Kailh Browns felt like they had the same actuation force as the MX Browns.

I actually prefer these switches over MX Browns and I think I may start suggesting them. My only concern is that I don’t think a lot of the keyboarding community has had a lot of time typing on these boards. I have no idea whether or not this board will hold up over time.

Typing Test Videos
Missalaire was kind enough to loan me a Leopold FC700R with MX Browns so that I could do a head-to-head comparison. I’ve created a FC700R video and a Moda video so that the reader can compare the sound of both.

Nixeus Moda
Leopold FC700R

Conclusion
To me the most important thing about a keyboard is the switches. And I think that the switches in this board are reminiscent of ergo-clears. ..or at least everything MX Browns should be out of the box. And the best part is that you don’t have to modify them or anything. You simply need to buy a board with Kailh switches.

I think that the aesthetics of the Nixeus Moda is lacking but for a $55 keyboard, it’s not bad. It’s certainly a contender for a relatively cheap start to mechanical keyboards or a nice way for more experienced users to try Kailh switches. I would like to see the hollow beneath the board covered and the fake bolts taken away. Would I use this board as my daily driver? I’m not sure. I’m leaning towards probably not. But does that make it a bad keyboard? Certainly not.

Further Reading
Kailh Switch Tech Specs
Cherry MX Tech Specs
Joanne Tech Lover’s Youtube review on the Moda

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 17:52:37 »
Sorry for the odd posting style everyone. I kept getting 500 Internal Service Error and this is the only way I could get  the whole review in.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 17:58:50 »
Fantastic as always CPT! I always enjoy reading your reviews, and now I really want to try Kailh browns!  :)
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 18:00:50 »
Actually if there's enough interest, I may tour this board flyersfan1. Keep an eye out for that :).

Also thank you for the kind words.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 18:04:16 »
wowowo those extra keys are so cool
I love Elzy

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 18:53:51 »
The font on the keycaps and the logo is ok. I don’t love or hate it but I wish it had more consistency. For example, the kerning on the “o” in Caps Lock is off and the “a” look off. So is the kerning on Esc, F1, and F10.
The kerning is fine, per se, though the tracking varies from one legend to another, which is kind of distracting. The typeface also really sucks, and they’ve condensed the letterforms selectively on some legends, which makes it worse. The overall legend alignment is truly awful. It’s like they hired a child to do the design, and then couldn’t afford to double-check it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 November 2014, 18:57:47 by jacobolus »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 21:54:25 »
Same model is available sans the fake bolts styling and perhaps less ugly legends font on half a dozen other brands like Zalman, Genius, Armaggeddon (yes it's really spelled wrong), etc... Which all seem to be based off the Rappoo V7, one of the first to sport the Kailh switches back a few years ago.
I have been curios to try out some of the MX copies too, but none of them have really grabbed me and I don't want to spend much to try them out. While not Kailh, the Noppoo Lolita is tempting me the most so far.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 22:13:09 »
Rapoo KX looks interisting too
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 22:20:54 »
Nice review. Thanks for sharing!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 22:39:26 »
I'll echo Cpt and say the board feels freaking amazing. It's analogous to ergo clears and beats the pants off MX browns.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 00:24:48 »
I'll echo Cpt and say the board feels freaking amazing. It's analogous to ergo clears and beats the pants off MX browns.

Are you serious? Well then...

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 02:16:47 »
AnandTech review:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8590/nixeus-moda-mechanical-keyboard-review

(Not very useful, but someone might appreciate it.)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 04:59:56 »

Same model is available sans the fake bolts styling and perhaps less ugly legends font on half a dozen other brands like Zalman, Genius, Armaggeddon (yes it's really spelled wrong), etc... Which all seem to be based off the Rappoo V7, one of the first to sport the Kailh switches back

That's good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 06:16:10 »

I noticed the same a while back when I tried out the Razer 2014. But since I could only touch the arrow keys I never had the opportunity to try under real usage conditions. This is very interesting to me, although there is the usual concern that kailh is less lasting - eg will it feel as good in a year's time, let alone 10 years? If you're not confident that it will feel just as good and be just as reliable in 10 years, better not put it on your Gon or Cheat or LZ.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 06:23:30 »
If these switches are fairly close MX clones, are the parts interchangeable between Kaihua and MX switches?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 06:27:32 »
If these switches are fairly close MX clones, are the parts interchangeable between Kaihua and MX switches?

From the pictures posted on DT, I would think so. I haven't taken a switch apart yet though.

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 20:36:12 »
Now I'm interested in trying out those switches!

Offline Jixr

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 14:17:32 »
I was sent one as well, if you'd like I can post pics of the internals ( i ripped mine open the second I got it )

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 14:21:19 »
I can post pics of the internals ( i ripped mine open the second I got it )

Sure that would be great.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 10:43:03 »
The big question, as with an Cherry MX clone, is the durability and reliability of the switches.  I guess time will tell, or somebody with a switch-testing machine.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 04:15:28 »
OK, I'm dedicating tomorrow to getting my review of my KC87 done.

This is awesome, taking notes!
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin