Author Topic: [IC] GMK WoB Katakana  (Read 13691 times)

Offline Pach

[IC] GMK WoB Katakana
« on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 08:18:44 »
You are looking at an outdated thread. Please visit: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109976.0

244244-0
244246-1
244248-2
Keycult の No. 1/65

yuktsi の TGR Jane v2

yuktsi の TGR 910

244250-3

244252-4
TBD - Deskmat, RAMA Cap

244254-5
244256-6

244258-7
TBD

244260-8
Interest Check Form
https://forms.gle/u9ZnEowytGLA1kaa9

Discord server (for updates, etc.)
https://discord.gg/aSsUEqc

When is the group buy?
The group buy will be scheduled after everything is ready - vendors found, kits finalized, and any extra things like RAMA and deskmats are done.

Why Kanji numerals for the F-row?
I could have just used the 'エフ-#' molds from GMK Masterpiece, but I feel like Kanji numerals would fit in more and are less squished.

Can you add x kit?
This is a WoB set. There are many extension kits already available, and some upcoming. If you really want it, tell me through the IC form and I'll add it if it gets enough interest.

What is the MOQ of each kit?
Base 150, child kits 100.

Can you make the base kit alphas only?
No.

Signature banner (support the set!)
Code: [Select]
[url=][img]https://i.imgur.com/cn8iyjX.png[/img][/url]
Special thanks to
Oblotzky for the renders and help ;)
kidviddy for JIS and layout help

« Last Edit: Tue, 15 December 2020, 09:30:02 by Pachriksu »

Offline yoot

• none
Re: [IC] GMK WoB Katakana
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 08:20:17 »
I'm in!
Edit: I'm probably not in because you didn't ask for permission for molds...
Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2020, 08:30:54 by yoot »

Offline GhostEther

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 08:24:09 »
Interested, love these type of keycaps.

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 08:27:06 »
Cool

Offline Energieschleuder

• Instagram
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 08:28:59 »
Not cool bro. I didn't give you permission to do a WoB set using the molds from Masterpiece. Where did you got the legends from?

I gave you a detailed explanation why a WoB set is not okay. At least you waited until Masterpiece is over
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2020, 08:47:36 by Energieschleuder »

Offline L-Ron

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 08:30:59 »
Really digging it, though I would much prefer if the text mods were in base with icon as an add-on.

Offline Dovan1405

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 08:53:52 »
love this!!! Would prefer the text mods to be in base instead of icon mods :O

Please consider dailyclack as vendor :D

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 08:54:52 »
You should've left it to Energieschleuder to run this one, done a collaboration with them or gained their consent to use their custom Legends at minimum.

Offline senryo

• Problems are challenges.
    • Thic Thock
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 09:00:48 »
Dropping my 2 cent for a kit irrelevant comment.

The direct translation is off. The translations accounted prural - "s", which is unnecessary for Japanese.

For example

Render, I'm not sure, but it should be レンダリング / レンダリング画像
Color should be カラー

Same applies for the rest.

Another translation error is literal translation error. Although it has also the problem listed as the above, the appropriate saying the of the words should be

Vendor: ヴェンダー
Kit: キット
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2020, 09:08:27 by senryo »

Offline Pach

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 09:01:32 »
Not cool bro. I didn't give you permission to do a WoB set using the molds from Masterpiece. Where did you got the legends from?

I gave you a detailed explanation why a WoB set is not okay. At least you waited until Masterpiece is over
I recall you saying that I didn't have permission to use your legends, not the molds. I'm scrolling through our conversation and you only mentioned the models for the legends, not actual molds. If that's not true or you changed your mind, I'll do whatever you want to do to this project, close it, whatever. I modified the legends myself from this font: https://www.freejapanesefont.com/rounded-mgen-plus-download/

Your argument was that WoB and BoW sets require little effort, but I have put a lot of effort into this project. It also needs 14 new molds.

Again, I'm sorry if I misunderstood. Please let me know your decision on what to do with this.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2020, 09:03:42 by Pachriksu »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 09:41:12 »

Well, that's an unfortunate way to kill a really cool set.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 09:48:56 »
Aren't the molds owned by GMK and can be used publically? From my understanding, if you don't want the molds to be available publically, you pay significantly more to GMK. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Then of course, it's still the right thing to do to ask for permission to use those molds.

Offline Starston3

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 09:55:30 »
Aren't the molds owned by GMK and can be used publically? From my understanding, if you don't want the molds to be available publically, you pay significantly more to GMK. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Then of course, it's still the right thing to do to ask for permission to use those molds.
GMK does not own these molds.

Offline wil

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 09:57:25 »
would love to see this worked out and actually ran

Offline Pach

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 10:03:39 »
would love to see this worked out and actually ran
I hope this will be run, even if it means giving the project to Energie. I put in a ton of time and effort making the resources and preparing renders, and I don't want it all to go to waste. It's my fault for not being clear and not asking specifically, but all I can do now is wait for his response and hope this can eventually get run one way or another.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2020, 10:05:11 by Pachriksu »

Offline Pach

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 10:04:28 »
double post

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 10:05:06 »
GMK doesn’t own the moulds? That’s pretty surprising to me.

I was a little surprised that there was no “Special Thanks” to the creator of GMK Masterpiece or any credit at all.

Offline Starston3

[IC] GMK WoB Katakana
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 10:06:21 »

I was a little surprised that there was no “Special Thanks” to the creator of GMK Masterpiece or any credit at all.
Creator of Masterpiece and Project Keyboard paid for the molds in full. They are the owners.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 10:29:25 »

Creator of Masterpiece and Project Keyboard paid for the molds in full. They are the owners.

That's a big investment and in that case it makes sense they wouldn't give permission. Kinda sucks for the community, but hey.

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 10:34:00 »

EDIT:  I see, the original designer of Masterpiece modified the font for the molds.  Carry on!

HOLD TF UP.  Are we saying that they own the rights to a mold set for a LANGUAGE???
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2020, 10:39:28 by Hedgey »
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline Starston3

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 10:36:03 »

That's a big investment and in that case it makes sense they wouldn't give permission. Kinda sucks for the community, but hey.

What's even worse... is knowing that's you don't have permission, trying to curtail it, and posting an IC anyways.

Then saying "hope this can eventually get run one way or another."

The lack of respect speaks loudly.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 10:38:13 »

HOLD TF UP.  Are we saying that they own the rights to a mold set for a LANGUAGE???

No, it means someone else can pay for their own molds. They just own what they paid for.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 10:41:19 »

Yes. The molds, not the language. Anyone else can design a katakana set and either pay for the molds (and own them) or not pay for them in which case GMK own them and anyone can use them. Though it’s nice for anyone else to ask for the blessing of the original designer anyway.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 10:41:38 »
I'm guessing that the miscommunication is that Pachriksu didn't know that the creator of Masterpiece and Project Keyboard paid for the molds in full and thought anyone could use the molds from GMK.

Offline Starston3

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 10:41:46 »

If I read this correctly before it was edited is that mods created for Masterpiece are one of the issues. Those are not are not available to everyone.

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 10:45:14 »

If I read this correctly before it was edited is that mods created for Masterpiece are one of the issues. Those are not are not available to everyone.

Yeah I edited after I re-read above.  That makes more sense.
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline ZavaZ86

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 11:05:27 »
Would have liked that the text from the extension kit wouldhave been on the base kit instead but it's a really nice kit

Offline Pach

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 11:32:49 »
Sorry, everyone. My incompetencies towards the ownership of molds and the failure of communication all contributed to this mistake. I misunderstood how the usage of molds worked, as I thought that katakana monolegends would be similar to hiragana monolegends, as in anyone could use them without specific permission. I will lock this thread and wait for a response from Energie if he wants this to not happen at all or if he wants to take over.

Offline arninja21

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 21:45:10 »
This is what I've been waiting for. I like Katakana better than Hiragana.