Author Topic: 104 set compatible with Topre 103 UB keyboard?  (Read 1427 times)

Offline EupraxiaCM

104 set compatible with Topre 103 UB keyboard?
« on: Thu, 28 August 2014, 11:32:41 »
Hey guys, a while ago I bought a Topre RF 103UB and got a good deal on it. I like the look of the black-on-black and love the keyboard but I've been looking to replace the set and get a little more color in my life. Problem is, Topre keysets are very hard to find, and I can only find 104 base sets. So my question is, would a 104 key set work with the 103UB? The 103 is missing the windows key to the right of the space bar, and I'm not sure where they made up the extra room, but I'm guessing the 103 has a wider space bar to compensate. Can anyone confirm this? If that's the case, I should be able to replace my keys with a 104 set but I would have to keep my current (black) space bar, which would suck if I'm going to shell out ~150 bucks for replacement keys.

Hope my question is clear, this is the set I've been looking at ordering.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REALFORCE-Key-Cap-Set-Realforce-87-104-Keyboard-Topre-English-Blue-Keycap-/281405936880?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418519d4f0

Thanks!

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Re: 104 set compatible with Topre 103 UB keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 08:21:44 »
A Topre question that I can answer! Short answer is no.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 08:53:30 »
The difference is really in the spacebars, with the 103UB having a 7x spacebar instead of the spacebar in that set, which is 6x.

Offline EupraxiaCM

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 August 2014, 10:09:35 »
So what about the long answer? Would I be able to use the set if I kept my black 7x spacebar? Would the 6x in the new set actually work but there would just be extra space on the edges or would it not physically fit?

Thanks for the responses. Life is hard when you go Topre. Especially weird one-off Topre boards D:

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 13:26:19 »
Everything would fit except the space bar. I couldn't guarantee that. If you want more help with that, take your 7x spacebar off of your 103UB, turn it upside down, place a ruler/measuring tape squared up to it, and show us that picture, where someone here can compare the measurements of the stem placement to a 6x spacebar as most people have those. Or you could buy a 6x spacebar from EK and see how it fits yourself before buying a full set of caps.