Author Topic: KeyPoard - Metal flat split matrix layout  (Read 20132 times)

Offline Pyrolistical

KeyPoard - Metal flat split matrix layout
« on: Wed, 01 February 2012, 02:41:52 »
[size=+2]Introduction[/size]

I've been looking for the perfect keyboard and was disappointed when I did not find it.

I own a Kinesis Contoured and its where I fell in love with the non staggered layout, but I really didn't like some of the layout choices such as putting the +/= on the top left.  Sure I could remap it, but there isn't enough room to put it in the right place.  So I knew I wanted a keyboard with a more standard layout.  Which means TypeMatrix and HumbleHacker were also out.

The other keyboard I regularly use is the Apple Wireless Keyboard.  I really like the design philosophy of Apple products where everything is beautifully designed yet functional.  This lead me to design a keyboard as simple as possible with the fewest parts.

Keyboards have so much legacy behind them.  The keys are staggered because in the original typewriters they needed space between each key for the control rod.  Modern keyboards copy the staggering mindlessly.  Apple showed us a completely flat keyboard works, which is unlike most keyboards with varying row heights.

I wasn't going to find my perfect keyboard.  I was going to have to make it myself.  As a result, I made a keyboard called KeyPoard.  I'll let you figure out why the b is upside down.

[size=+2]Layout[/size]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 41170[/ATTACH]

This layout emulates the standard Macintosh, except I had room to sneak in another control key.  This makes the modifers nice and symmetric.

The keyboard uses R3 keycaps to make the entire keyboard flat like the Apple Wireless Keyboard.  The keywells have good hand separation accomplished with an integrated Apple Magic Trackpad in the middle.

[size=+2]Case[/size]

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 41169[/ATTACH]

The case is machined out of a single block of aluminum.  Yes this makes it expensive, but this is what you need to do for simplicy of design.  There is no need to screw the keyswitch plate into the case.

The integrated palm rest is to reduce wrist angle.  Regular keyboards are terrible for the wrist with their positive keyboard slopes.  The keys are as low as possible without the need to reach deep into the keywells to further minimize wrist angle.

[size=+2]Electronics[/size]

I am not creating a PCB for this keyboard.  Instead I took inspiration from lowpoly and going to hand wire the matrix like he did with The Apple M0110 Today.  As for the controller I will be using a Teensy 2.0.

[size=+2]Firmware[/size]

The firmware is going to be my modified version of hasu's code which features configuration of which pins on the Teensy are which rows/cols in the matrix.  https://github.com/Pyrolistical/tmk_keyboard/tree/master/fourway

[size=+2]Appendix[/size]

Ancestry of KeyPoard is a cross between HumbleHacker and Apple Wireless Keyboard

Feature Summary:
    [*]single piece machined aluminum case
    [*]flat split true matrix layout
    [*]large hand separation
    [*]ten keyless
    [*]Macintosh layout with symmetric standard modifiers
    [*]integrated Apple Magic Trackpad and palm rest
    [*]Cherry MX Blue keyswitches
    [*]full n-key rollover matrix
    [/list]

[size=+2]Progress[/size]

I got the case from the machine shop!
    [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 41178[/ATTACH]

I choose a slightly different key switch hole to make it more machinable, but allowed the switch tops to be replaceable without desoldering.
    [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 41177[/ATTACH]

Here it is with the Cherry MX Blues.  The fit is so tight!  There is very little wiggle of the switches even without a pcb.  The power of precision CNC machining.
    [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 41174[/ATTACH]

And with R3 only blank key caps!
    [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 41172[/ATTACH]

I choose R3 only key caps so the entire keyboard would be flat.
    [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 41171[/ATTACH]

Hand wired the matrix.
    [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 41173[/ATTACH]

The trackpad fits perfectly and clicks without friction!  But I did screw up the corner radius so there is a gap.  Stupid imperial vs metric strikes again!
    [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 41176[/ATTACH]

The radius in the back matches the trackpad perfectly!  But there is a gap in order to make it machinable.
    [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 41175[/ATTACH]

Like lowploy, I wired the rows and cols with ribbon cable.
    [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 41179[/ATTACH]

Wired the ribbon cables to the controller.  You can tell I am pro at soldering!
    [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 41180[/ATTACH]

For the firmware, I first tried to use Hasu's, but I wired the matrix backwards to what the code expects.  I attempted to flip the matrix in the code, but it didn't work and I couldn't figure it out.

So I gave up and tried the Phantom firmware because it was quite a bit more simpler.  The code already expects reading from the rows, so all I had to do was reconfigure the code.  Unfortunately the code hardcoded which pins are row/cols so I had to generalize that.  I've submitted a partial patch back to PrinsValium: https://github.com/Pyrolistical/Phantom-Keyboard

I fired up the code and only found 2 mistakes in the physical matrix and had to resolder the the ribbon cable to the controller to clean up the stray wires.

Otherwise everything just mostly worked!  I actually can't believe how little debugging I had to do (ignoring the fact I couldn't get my modified version of Hasu's code to work).

I've been using the KeyPoard for the last few days and its amazing!  Since I was used to the Kinesis Advantage matrix layout I was able to go at full typing speeds with relative ease.

Thumbs:
    [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 44548[/ATTACH]

Offline bbbbqq

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 21:07:33 »
    May want to have a look at replacing the capslock with a different key. Perhaps swapping ctrl with capslock, to make it easier to reach.

Offline Pyrolistical

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 22:57:35 »
    One of my design goals was not to relocate any keys. One of the problem with Kinesis was they moved too much.

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 23:48:17 »
    This is a very interesting project. I can't wait to see where you take this.
    "I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline Pyrolistical

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 00:42:19 »
    Got the case from the machine shop!

Offline Parak

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 01:22:46 »
    Looks awesome. Did you get you get all the dimensions right the first time around? I can only imagine how much mistakes would cost on this @_@

Offline Henry Allen Venture

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 February 2012, 01:32:44 »
    That looks absolutely amazing, especially with the caps on. You've done a brilliant job so far.
    I can't wait to see how the rest of this unfolds.
    Current collection:
    Filco Majestouch 104-Key, w/ MX Browns
    IBM Model M 52G9700
    Leopold FC200R, "white" w/ MX Clears
    Ducky DK9008S \'Shining\', white backlit w/ MX Blues
    Cherry G80-3494(LCYUS-2), w/ MX Reds for Portal Mod

Not mine, but I\'ve got access to:
    Filco Majestouch Linear R Limited Edition, w/ MX Reds
    Filco Majestouch 2 \'Ninja\' Tenkeyless, w/ MX Blues
    Leopold FC500R, w/ MX Browns

Offline duq

• Connoisseur
    « Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 February 2012, 12:48:06 »
    Wow. This looks pretty impressive.

Offline obra

• * Commercial Vendor
    « Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 February 2012, 14:02:16 »
    Very cool. Would you be willing to say what the aluminum chassis cost to have machined?

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
    « Reply #9 on: Sun, 12 February 2012, 23:45:48 »
    I'm also curious what the case cost to have machined if you're willing to share that information. Looks amazing so far. Keep it up!
    I hate everything.

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
    « Reply #10 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 11:05:14 »
    It looks really cool. And the layout is very interesting as well.
    Is the part behind the touchpad machined separately? And how will you go about the touchpad buttons? Software emulated?
    And lastly, I'm also interested how much it was to have the case machined;)

Keep up the good work.
    GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
    Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 13 February 2012, 16:44:51 »
    :jaw: Wow I wasn't expecting you to complete the project so fast! That is a really cool design. Are you planning on making this a commercial venture?
    "I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline Pyrolistical

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 01:49:07 »
    The trackpad doesn't need any buttons because its an Apple Magic Trackpad!  It is one huge pushable button.

This prototype is for myself.  I will be produce smalls runs of a more compact/affordable version.  But it will still retain its signature features and will be a metal flat split matrix keyboard!

As for the cost of machining the case its well over $500.

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
    « Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 14:30:08 »
    Quote from: Pyrolistical;513913

HFS.
    ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
    Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
    XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
    Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
    G80-11900.
    ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.

Offline obra

• * Commercial Vendor
    « Reply #14 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 17:16:35 »
    Quote from: Pyrolistical;513913

That's about what I expected. I'm just trying to get my hands around the design tools to build something similarish. Are you going to end up publishing your CAD files? I'd love to see how this was done.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
    « Reply #15 on: Tue, 14 February 2012, 19:37:42 »
    wow! the finished product is killer. I'm requesting more pics! naow :D
    I hate everything.

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 February 2012, 02:20:18 »
    wonderfull, very good.

Offline Pyrolistical

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 01:41:55 »
    Finished the KeyPoard!  See wiki for updates

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
      • http://www.keyboardlover.com
    « Reply #18 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 05:49:15 »
    Nice mod!

Offline sordna

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 13:46:59 »
    Wow Pyrolistical, what you did is amazing! Don't you miss the thumb keys though? I added extra thumb keys to my Advantage because I love them so much.
    You actually have room under the Magic Trackpad to add thumb clusters like the Kinesis or the ErgoDox. Maybe you'll do it on the KeyPoard v2 :-)
    Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
    Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 18:56:30 »
    Can I have one of these, please? I'm throwing money at my cat but it's not turning into a KeyPoard..
    Dvorak

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 11:41:30 »
    WIN
    ◕ ‿ ◕

Offline sordna

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 18:09:17 »
    Your case gives me an idea, I would actually like to make 2 replacement keywells for my Kinesis, that are metal, flat, with the cutouts for opening up mounted switches. Something that will end up like this (without the sloppy hand drawing of course).

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 41619[/ATTACH]

The red part would be the mounting plate. The 4 non-labeled keys would be extras compared to the Kinesis keys on each side. The matrix could be wired with ribbon cables, or I could even make use of original keywell PCBs removed from the plastic keywells and only hand wire the few extra keys.
    Can you help with the CAD design? I don't know anything about CAD or whatever data a machining shops would need...
    Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
    Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
    • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
    « Reply #23 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 19:33:07 »
    I've refrained from chiming in with a compliment or asking a generic question for a while on this project now. But:
    At first look, the Keypoard is impressive, at second glance it's damn sweet. By the third review the total comprehension of the beauty of this design starts to sing. The elements individually and combined used in this project are beyond commendable. No shortcuts. Elegant. Attention to detail. Simplistic beauty. Steve Jobs is turning over in his grave for not pumping one of these out years ago :)

I'm not going to delve into your specifics at this time, as I'm still digesting them to see how they come apart/together in my own head. What I would like to tell you is that of all the custom mods I've seen and thought of, you have really pulled together a timeless item of quality, form, and functional beauty.

My main thought is that it's so fast looking, you might as well anodize it RED!
    You're gonna get a ticket driving it anyhow :)
    Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
    Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
    Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
    I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
    ~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline eugenius

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 19:37:36 »
    Congrats, the idea is nice and the execution good but can be improved. :)
    Cherry ErgoPlus MX5000 + MX5700 / IBM Model M

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
    • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
    « Reply #25 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 19:41:35 »
    Quote from: eugenius;524795
    Congrats, the idea is nice and the execution good but can be improved. :)

I know! Where's the hot girl in Stilettos, wet bikini and machine gun?
    Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
    Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
    Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
    I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
    ~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Pyrolistical

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 16:44:38 »
    Quote from: sordna;524717
    Your case gives me an idea, I would actually like to make 2 replacement keywells for my Kinesis, that are metal, flat, with the cutouts for opening up mounted switches. Something that will end up like this (without the sloppy hand drawing of course).

(Attachment Link) 41619[/ATTACH]

The red part would be the mounting plate. The 4 non-labeled keys would be extras compared to the Kinesis keys on each side. The matrix could be wired with ribbon cables, or I could even make use of original keywell PCBs removed from the plastic keywells and only hand wire the few extra keys.
    Can you help with the CAD design? I don't know anything about CAD or whatever data a machining shops would need...

Yeah cad is a whole can of worms. I actually didn't know how to do 3d cad design before starting this project. I relied on my 2d cad knowledge and did most of the work in qcad first. Not the greatest cad software but at least it's free.

Are you trying to reuse the Kinesis case?  If so I don't know how you want to make it flat. It might be even easier to design a simpler case. Look at the original dox keyboard. I really liked how he used sheet metal to make his case. It allowed him to just use 2d cad and have somebody bend it into 3d. This can save a lot of cost by having a single shop do all the laser cutting for both the switch holes and the case to be bent.

Offline sordna

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 17:33:16 »
    I plan to reuse the Kinesis case and conroller, so I only want to produce 2 flat metal plates to replace the keywells. I can cut/mod the case if needed to accommodate the new flat keywells. Can you upload your qcad file here? Or at least the portion that deals with the mounting plate of one side the KeyPoard, since it looks like you got the spacing and everything absolutely perfect? Thanks! I just did "apt-get install qcad" :-)

Offline Pyrolistical

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 11:09:06 »
    Quote from: sordna;527256
    Can you upload your qcad file here? Or at least the portion that deals with the mounting plate of one side the KeyPoard, since it looks like you got the spacing and everything absolutely perfect?

Yup I'll upload the switch cutouts. But it'll take me a few weeks. I am not near my design computer.

If you can't wait to get started look at the phantom plates. I used that plus the cherry mx data sheets as a basis but also converted everything to metric. The gist of the design is 14mm square holes with 5 mm spacing in a grid. The 14 mm holes are "butterflied" to a width of 16 mm but I forgot how tall each wing is

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 27 February 2012, 12:46:03 »
    Awesome.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline Pyrolistical

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 20:41:04 »
    Here is a diagram of the cutouts I used.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] 42109[/ATTACH]

All dimensions are in mm.

The R1 corners are just to make it machinable and you can use sharp corners if you are lasering.

Extra information:
    Spacing between rows and 1x1 keys is 5 mm
    Spacing between ESC and F1 is 15 mm
    Spacing between TAB and Q is 10 mm
    Spacing between CMD and Space is 20 mm
    « Last Edit: Tue, 28 February 2012, 20:50:20 by Pyrolistical »

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
    « Reply #31 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 21:09:27 »
    Quote from: Pyrolistical;530064
    The R1 corners are just to make it machinable and you can use sharp corners if you are lasering.

What do you do to make the corner square after you machined it?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
    • ** Moderator Emeritus
    « Reply #32 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 21:13:12 »
    He didn't do anything, they're not square.
    Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
    Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline sordna

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 21:23:47 »
    Quote from: Pyrolistical;530064
    Here is a diagram of the cutouts I used.

(Attachment Link) 42109[/ATTACH]

All dimensions are in mm.

Extra information:
    Spacing between rows and 1x1 keys is 5 mm
    Spacing between ESC and F1 is 15 mm
    Spacing between TAB and Q is 10 mm
    Spacing between CMD and Space is 20 mm

Thank you so much! Do machine shops accept drawings, or do they expect AutoCad DXF files?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
    • ** Moderator Emeritus
    « Reply #34 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 21:25:21 »
    Most machine shops will accept anything they can get these days... However expect to be charged more the farther it is from their preferred format, which is bound to be some form of CAD output.
    Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
    Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline glitchathon

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 28 February 2012, 23:48:30 »
    Sordna, are you still interested in it? I am proficient in CAD and can do a drawing and 3d model for you. I think i know what you want and have my own kinesis to measure. Should this plate cover the rubber f keys?

Offline sordna

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 00:50:58 »
    Oh glitchathon that would be so cool! I don't really need any 3d fanciness, other than "the plate should be 1.5mm thick".
    I don't want to bother replacing the rubber keys (since my extra keys activate the numpad layer, which has the F keys assigned to the num row), but I definitely want those extra 4 keys per side you see in that picture. If it's not clear, the extra vertical keys are the same size as the Shift/Tab/+=/etc. If you have a kinesis, it would be useful to measure and mark the mounting holes, although I think one of the mounting holes is "deleted" by my extra thumb switch, that's ok. Would it help if you do a cardboard "plate" mockup to find the proper position? Hopefully you've removed a keywell before :-)  Anyway, I'm rabling... please don't do anything you're not comfortable with, I really appreciate the offer for help! BTW we could continue the discussion in my wiki comments area and not hijack the KeyPoard thread too much :-)

Offline Pyrolistical

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 29 February 2012, 11:08:20 »
    Thanks for your feedback input nirvana. It's really nice for my drive for simplicity of design to be validated by someone who has seen their fair share of keyboards.

I would love to hear more of your thoughts on what worked well and what didn't when it makes sense in your head.

Offline Pyrolistical

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 16 March 2012, 04:37:37 »
    I was able to compare my KeyPoard to a Das Keyboard with Cherry MX Blues.

Interestingly while my KeyPoard uses the same key switches it was far quieter than the Das.  I think it is due to the fact my metal body case is way thicker than the Das plastic and the switches are more rigid due to tighter switch cutouts.

Suddenly Cherry MX Blues become far more viable as I haven't had any noise complaints from people around me.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 17 March 2012, 01:37:57 »
    very nice, ah the phantom matrix you used just looks so nice and clean and to second sornda's question, don't you miss the thumb cluster? and whats that yellow thing on a plate? (i don't really eat treats or stuff, i guess that's yellow cake?)

Offline Pyrolistical

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 19 March 2012, 09:37:23 »
    Quote from: Lanx;548632
    very nice, ah the phantom matrix you used just looks so nice and clean and to second sornda's question, don't you miss the thumb cluster?

Not at all.  I felt the Kinesis moved too much and was a barrier to larger acceptance.  I wanted to keep the Apple layout and just make incremental improvements.

Quote from: Lanx;548632
    whats that yellow thing on a plate? (i don't really eat treats or stuff, i guess that's yellow cake?)

Its actually a sponge =P  I was using to clean solder off my iron.  If you were to eat it you would get lead poisoning.

Offline Parak

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 19 March 2012, 09:46:31 »
    Quote from: Pyrolistical;550495
    Its actually a sponge =P  I was using to clean solder off my iron.  If you were to eat it you would get lead poisoning.

That's why you should be using lead free solder - it lets you eat that delicious sponge with none of that pesky lead weighing heavily on your mind.

Offline anselben

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 27 March 2012, 03:05:26 »
    This looks great, love the case! I have a good friend who works in a machine shop, maybe I can convince him to make me one..