Author Topic: Damn You Geekhack :whip:  (Read 4952 times)

Offline Zen

Damn You Geekhack :whip:
« on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 12:27:04 »
Since my IBM-board "died" in 1995
( That's what my (ex)-girlfriend said, I suspect it was assassinated)
I haven't cared much about keyboards, they all seemed to suck and 20 bucks was WAY to expensive.. You know the drill ..
Then my POS-board dies and, stupid as I am, I decide to see if you can still get good keyboards.. and find this site .
DAMN YOU GEEKHACK..
You have unleashed a fetish I didn't realize I had .
Now I'm gonna die a poor man with a thousand keyboards :)

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 12:29:53 »
Yep, but this site lead me to consider keyboard which cost over half of my disposable monthly income...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline Zen

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 12:31:48 »
Lucky guy, only ONE ??
I want one of each !!

Offline Ekaros

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 12:33:19 »
Quote from: Zen;215001
Lucky guy, only ONE ??

Maybe a few after that ;D Ofc, there isn't too many non MX board available so it's bit less of models...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 12:35:04 »
Quote from: Zen;214996
Since my IBM-board "died" in 1995
( That's what my (ex)-girlfriend said, I suspect it was assassinated)
I haven't cared much about keyboards, they all seemed to suck and 20 bucks was WAY to expensive.. You know the drill ..
Then my POS-board dies and, stupid as I am, I decide to see if you can still get good keyboards.. and find this site .
DAMN YOU GEEKHACK..
You have unleashed a fetish I didn't realize I had .
Now I'm gonna die a poor man with a thousand keyboards :)

Hey. Purchasing lots of nice keyboards can be hard to resist, but I've resisted it the best here. I've been on this forum for over a year and still haven't spent over $20 on a keyboard.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 12:36:14 »

Offline Zen

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 12:42:18 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;215005
Hey. Purchasing lots of nice keyboards can be hard to resist, but I've resisted it the best here. I've been on this forum for over a year and still haven't spent over $20 on a keyboard.

Yeah, I've kinda decided on a £50 +postage max-limit,
unless it's something extraordinary, like the Geekhack SIIG..
By God, that thing is so beautiful :typing:

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 12:57:15 »
Quote from: Zen;215014
Yeah, I've kinda decided on a £50 +postage max-limit,
unless it's something extraordinary, like the Geekhack SIIG..
By God, that thing is so beautiful :typing:

Hope it works out for you!

And yeah... IBM keyboards don't usually "Die", unless they're an M-2.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline MissileMike

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 13:13:14 »
Found GeekHack 2 weeks or so ago.  Since then, I have wasted 6 hours cleaning my modem m's, ordered two filco browns, and just bought a unicomp customizer 104 from another member here.  I am already down 300$ in two weeks.
BS: 5 Space Savers  ||  9 42H  ||  10 1391401 or similar  ||  1x 1390131  || AT&T 305b  ||  Dell Model M
Cherry: Leopold FC200RC/AB  ||  3 Ducky 1087  ||  PLU ML87 ||  Cherry G80-8113LUVEU-2  browns
Alps: Filco Zero Tenkeyless (fukka)  ||  ABS M1  ||  3x Dell AT101w  ||  Ancer KF-191  ||  6 Vivanco Compact
Misc: NMB RT6855T+  ||  NMB RT101 Space Invader  ||  Dell Quietkey  ||  Ge Fanuc Industrial Metal

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 13:39:22 »
The solution is to be poor like me. Though a filco brown would be nice...

In the meantime, I busy myself by sorting through a shipping pallet full of old goodies. Damn you, geekhack. You're like TVtropes, but you cost money.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 14:03:28 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;215054
The solution is to be poor like me. Though a filco brown would be nice...

In the meantime, I busy myself by sorting through a shipping pallet full of old goodies. Damn you, geekhack. You're like TVtropes, but you cost money.

Show Image

I see a lot of good keyboards in there! Where on earth did you find such treasures?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 14:05:39 »
One man's treasure is another man's... wait I think I have something backwards here.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 15:25:02 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;215072
I see a lot of good keyboards in there! Where on earth did you find such treasures?
A friend of the family, who farms for a living, and pulls gold out of old computers on the side. He doesn't have much use for the keyboards, but he can't stand throwing things away. I'm slowly building up an inventory of what's in there; I've counted at least a dozen Model Ms, a scattering of Model Fs, and some other boards I can't identify, but which appear to have alps switches. Most of them are crappy HP membrane keyboards.

They're a bit dirty...

...but they clean up well

Bah, it's going to be so much work to fix all those up, but I am compelled to do it.

/threadjacking

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 15:37:13 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;215107
They're a bit dirty...
Show Image

Well there's a LOT of people here interested in those keyboards -- even I am (Regardless if I have to spend awhile cleaning it). I find keyboard cleaning to be kind of relaxing and therapeutic. Maybe I'm just weird, but it's not that bad, maybe a waste of time, but you have a nice shiny keyboard afterwards.

EDIT: oh yeah, and the terminal model F keyboards are really nice: I'm actually looking for one.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 15:45:56 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;215107
A friend of the family, who farms for a living, and pulls gold out of old computers on the side. He doesn't have much use for the keyboards, but he can't stand throwing things away. I'm slowly building up an inventory of what's in there; I've counted at least a dozen Model Ms, a scattering of Model Fs, and some other boards I can't identify, but which appear to have alps switches. Most of them are crappy HP membrane keyboards.

They're a bit dirty...

...but they clean up well

Bah, it's going to be so much work to fix all those up, but I am compelled to do it.

That's quite a lot of keyboards.  I don't mind cleaning them up myself.  It does get old after a while so would definitely need to take breaks with that many to do.  I have gotten torqued about cleaning in the past but usually only when I buy something sight unseen and it turns out to be a lot dirtier than I expected.  I'm upset, not that I had to clean it so much as thinking I got ripped off a bit and shouldn't have had to clean so much.  But congrats on the mother load of raw material there.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 15:56:14 »
Daniel Beaver, if you have an interest in making one of those big beasts usable, there's currently an inline converter design being developed (I'm a tester of it and typing on the Model M version right now).
I would be interested in that. I am surprised at how much nicer the Model F feels in comparison to the model M. There are also a bunch of terminal Model Ms in that batch that would need a converter.

The cleaned up keyboard I posted is a Model F. Not sure if this particular one would work with the adapter. I hope it does.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 August 2010, 16:23:11 by Daniel Beaver »

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 16:02:16 »
Quote from: kishy;215116
That COULD be an M. More likely F, but could be an M.

Daniel Beaver, if you have an interest in making one of those big beasts usable, there's currently an inline converter design being developed (I'm a tester of it and typing on the Model M version right now).

That cleaned up one looks like the terminal model f I recently got, given the hat keys as you pointed out to me recently.  Have high hopes for that converter as well.

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 16:32:40 »
Quote from: Zen;215001
Lucky guy, only ONE ??
I want one of each !!
Something I can definitely relate to.   I did get  one of each of the ones I wanted and now I want to get TWO of the ones I really like.   Well, actually I really only want to get two of the MX blue boards because I like mine so much that I'm looking for excuses to type and I'm afraid I'm gonna wear it out....  Plus, through a happy accident of it being my birthday around the time of my declaring a search for one (and a partner whose been extraordinarily and surprisingly supportive of my addiction) I've now ended up with 2 AT Model F's and though I can think of NO reason to keep both I'm having a very hard time convincing myself to part with one.   Terrible, isn't it?

Anyway, welcome (to you too, MissleMike)!  
and nice username btw
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline MissileMike

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 16:52:27 »
Thanks.  I am after a model F too!
BS: 5 Space Savers  ||  9 42H  ||  10 1391401 or similar  ||  1x 1390131  || AT&T 305b  ||  Dell Model M
Cherry: Leopold FC200RC/AB  ||  3 Ducky 1087  ||  PLU ML87 ||  Cherry G80-8113LUVEU-2  browns
Alps: Filco Zero Tenkeyless (fukka)  ||  ABS M1  ||  3x Dell AT101w  ||  Ancer KF-191  ||  6 Vivanco Compact
Misc: NMB RT6855T+  ||  NMB RT101 Space Invader  ||  Dell Quietkey  ||  Ge Fanuc Industrial Metal

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 20 August 2010, 17:07:21 »
Quote from: MissileMike;215129
Thanks.  I am after a model F too!

I hope you mean a terminal model F -- the XT ones are great, but currently only runs on my 5150. I don't like the layout however, a terminal one would greatly ease this.