Author Topic: Web site building for beginner  (Read 1423 times)

Offline frvrngn

Web site building for beginner
« on: Sat, 25 September 2010, 16:31:30 »
OK - background on me - ZERO - programming background.  I tried a little HTML stuff years back and know a little, but even that was pretty pathetic.  I am more than willing to try and learn something though.

That being said - my wife and I serve on a children's charity board.  My son was born with a heart defect, had open heart surgery, and now we are very involved with other families in South Carolina that are going through something similar.  The charity is new (we are actually still waiting on our official 501(c)(3) paperwork back from the state) and they only have an official blog as a current site.  They wanted me to try and design and build a basic site for them to at least get started.  Not sure how I got picked, but they all voted and I was picked!

So any advice?  I know sites like GoDaddy have "site builder" options where you can pick from a bunch of templates and just add your own text.  They all looked super generic though.  I am not expecting anything fancy, but I would like it to at least look presentable.  We do a lot of events throughout the state, including speaking at hospitals and medical conventions, and I would like for the site to not be too embarrassing when we hand out our info!

Are we better off just paying someone to build it and host it, or is this something a new guy can tackle?  If we did pay someone, what is the going rate for a basic site?  All we need is someplace to post contact info, upcoming events, and maybe a few forms that families could fill out if they need our help.  We do have an official logo that needs to be used.
Currently using: Cherry G80-1800 Ergo Clears, HHKB Pro 2, RF 87U Silent

Offline pikapika

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 September 2010, 16:43:43 »
depending on what you need, a blog like blogger.com could be sufficient, though there are plenty of CMS like joomla, spip and many others that could fit but needs hosting

building a website has become a bit useless for most usages

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 September 2010, 16:56:34 »
I reccomend wordpress - it's free, super easy to use (includes a CMS) and they host the site for you.

Offline frvrngn

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 September 2010, 17:37:18 »
Well, we are on blogger.com now, so I will check out wordpress.  I am not sure what more they want that blogger.com is not offering, so I need to find that out first.  They just brought this up to me today!
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 September 2010, 17:48:17 by frvrngn »
Currently using: Cherry G80-1800 Ergo Clears, HHKB Pro 2, RF 87U Silent