Author Topic: Hello from Portland Oregon  (Read 2099 times)

Offline russeree

• Creator of NyanOS | Nyan Keys
Hello from Portland Oregon
« on: Thu, 09 November 2023, 17:19:18 »
Hey,

Long time lurker from 2018, I thought I would join this community to get some help about the placement of a USB connector on a board I designed and ended up loving the conversation. TY @fpazos for helping me. The boards came in and no smoke! Built a whole little OS for it too and since it's an FGPA each key gets it's own index and debounce counter that run in parallel. The USB 2.0 HS (480mb/s) also worked which makes the polling rate stupid high. Overall thanks for the inspiration.

Nyan KeysMech keyboard
Nyan OSOperating System / Firmware

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: Hello from Portland Oregon
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 November 2023, 20:30:28 »
Welcome to geekhack :)

Know absolutely nothing about pcbs so it's always great to see people who know what they are doing being more active lol.

Love the purple colour of the pcb too, very pretty.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline russeree

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 November 2023, 22:22:17 »
Thank you the purple PCBs come from OSHPark, they are not cheap by any means but the quality is what I was looking for and they delivered.
Nyan KeysMech keyboard

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 November 2023, 09:00:19 »
Hey,

Long time lurker from 2018, I thought I would join this community to get some help about the placement of a USB connector on a board I designed and ended up loving the conversation. TY @fpazos for helping me. The boards came in and no smoke! Built a whole little OS for it too and since it's an FGPA each key gets it's own index and debounce counter that run in parallel. The USB 2.0 HS (480mb/s) also worked which makes the polling rate stupid high. Overall thanks for the inspiration.

Show Image

Welcome!! Glad to have you here. :)

I know very little about PCB design, but I have to ask about this FPGA - it sounds a little overkill to me, haha (which is great, btw). You mentioned each key gets an index and debounce counter, which probably has real-world benefits. Is there anything else you're able to do with the FPGA above and beyond? Very interested in what would be possible there.

Offline russeree

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 November 2023, 10:54:19 »
Hey,

Show Image

Welcome!! Glad to have you here. :)

I know very little about PCB design, but I have to ask about this FPGA - it sounds a little overkill to me, haha (which is great, btw). You mentioned each key gets an index and debounce counter, which probably has real-world benefits. Is there anything else you're able to do with the FPGA above and beyond? Very interested in what would be possible there.

Thank you, yes it's quite overkill but allows for an incredible level of flexibility. The FPGA itself would only really shine when many thing (keys) need to run in parallel. With that said it could be used to change layouts at the hardware level and likely a lot more.

I have Apache 2.0 licensed the project; other than the .brd files so that other users can hack and modify it to fit their needs.

https://github.com/russeree/nyan-keys-ice40hx4k-bitstream FPGA Bitstream
https://github.com/russeree/nyan-keys-stm32-firmware STM32 NyanOS (NOS) Firmware
https://github.com/russeree/nyan-keys-hardware Schematics

It even has it's own web based GUI that doesn't require any drivers!

304258-0

« Last Edit: Tue, 14 November 2023, 12:15:51 by russeree »
Nyan KeysMech keyboard