Author Topic: Hello! New old guy here  (Read 2097 times)

Offline Tseg

Hello! New old guy here
« on: Thu, 16 November 2023, 10:02:53 »
Hello!  I use a keyboard a lot for work.  I also am an active hobbyist (watches, cameras, fountain pens, knives, vacuums, goodyear welted boots, stamps, etc...)... but not keyboards, until now.  Last Christmas I got my college-aged son a Steelseries keyboard because he really wanted the LED lightshow on his keyboard as a gamer.   I remember typing on it when he set it up and thinking how nice it was to type on.  Recently I had issues with my Logitech MX membrane keyboard so I replaced it with a Steelseries Apex 7 with blue clicky switches... and down the rabbit-hole my journey began.  I REALLY enjoy typing on a mechanical keyboard.  Until now I have used membrane keyboards most of my long adult life.  Many, many hours of YouTube video later to educate myself... and various typing training websites later... I'm no longer a hunt and peck kind of guy.   

Last night, in a hobbiest frenzy I know all to well, I made the decision to upgrade already.  My order has already shipped:
  • KBD8X MKIII - Black anodized
  • CNC Machined steel weight
  • Gateron Oil King switches
  • PBTfans Dolch keycaps
  • Top mounted
  • Polycarbonate plate

I'm really hoping this is an end-game keyboard for me...

I look forward to participating on this forum.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Hello! New old guy here
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 November 2023, 10:43:22 »
Looks like a very solid option for full custom keyboard! I bet you're gonna love it.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 November 2023, 15:07:35 »
Welcome to geekhack :)

If there is one thing I know about the hobby, it's that when people say a board is endgame, it usually isn't lol.

Hope you enjoy the keyboard, and it's endgame for you.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Tseg

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 November 2023, 08:41:57 »
Well Rhienfo, you called it.  With all the Black Friday deals in market I was wooed into now buying all the parts for my first custom board that I am assembling (but 3rd mechanical keyboard).   I do love the performance and quality of the KBDX8.  The Gateron Oil King switches are soooo smooth and quiet yet thocky. 

Now will have:
- 100% Low profile RGB "gaming" board with clacky clicky blue switches
- TKL (85%?) 6lb. brick with very deep-thocky switches
- Soon to have 65% with nice tactile switched and MT3 key caps

Between the 3 I should have a diverse sample of what is out there.  I guess we'll see how this plays out.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 November 2023, 09:17:07 »
Well Rhienfo, you called it.  With all the Black Friday deals in market I was wooed into now buying all the parts for my first custom board that I am assembling (but 3rd mechanical keyboard).   I do love the performance and quality of the KBDX8.  The Gateron Oil King switches are soooo smooth and quiet yet thocky. 

Now will have:
- 100% Low profile RGB "gaming" board with clacky clicky blue switches
- TKL (85%?) 6lb. brick with very deep-thocky switches
- Soon to have 65% with nice tactile switched and MT3 key caps

Between the 3 I should have a diverse sample of what is out there.  I guess we'll see how this plays out.
abandon the T word before its too late
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D