Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3500890 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #16250 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 02:57:49 »
This may not be an easy question but it's not complicated or thread-worthy either, so here it is.

Why does the 'standard' handwire matrix have the diodes running along the rows so you have to mess about with extension wires for wide caps?  The vertical spacing on columns would eliminate this complication, and remove the temptation for newbies to solder them in series...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #16251 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 08:51:53 »
How is the mac support for keyboards with sliders, knobs and other fun stuff like QMK has support for? Do you need third party drivers? Are there third party drivers...?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #16252 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 13:48:55 »
need link for the hot pink  (not magenta) in-switch LEDs
I love Elzy

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #16253 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 14:53:39 »
need link for the hot pink  (not magenta) in-switch LEDs
Not sure if 625nm is hot enough but that's the only one I found. Here.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #16254 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 14:55:06 »
nah i'm talking these ones

seems i can only find on taobao

actually to be fair that looks pretty magenta. i just mean NOT these ones

I love Elzy

Offline Ventamora

« Reply #16255 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 15:41:16 »
how would one label ISO DE keys like ÖÄÜ and °`´ in KLE (keyboard layout editor) so you won't get an error on kai.tkg.io ? I can't flash my ISO DE layout onto my XD84 becaue of that :c

Offline RJee

« Reply #16256 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 15:59:56 »
Quick question. Is it possible to replace the keycaps on a German ISO layout WASD Code? I'd like to change it to ANSI. Can probably get the board pretty cheap.
Thanks!

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #16257 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 16:27:20 »
how would one label ISO DE keys like ÖÄÜ and °`´ in KLE (keyboard layout editor) so you won't get an error on kai.tkg.io ? I can't flash my ISO DE layout onto my XD84 becaue of that :c
Simply, you don't. This post should explain you the reason.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #16258 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 16:29:53 »
Is it possible to replace the keycaps on a German ISO layout WASD Code? I'd like to change it to ANSI.
Short answer is no. There are differences between ANSI and ISO and you would need to modify the board significantly to switch from one layout to the other.

Offline RJee

« Reply #16259 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 16:31:08 »
Is it possible to replace the keycaps on a German ISO layout WASD Code? I'd like to change it to ANSI.
Short answer is no. There are differences between ANSI and ISO and you would need to modify the board significantly to switch from one layout to the other.
meh... :(
thx for the reply

Offline enchong

« Reply #16260 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 11:36:44 »
Hi, I just got my HHKB Pro 2, I would like to program another layer in it. I'm a vim user so I want to use HJKL as my arrow keys in this particular layer. I've been looking around on how I can do it but what I've seen is by using an alt controller. Is there any way I can do it without any hardware modifications? Please add some links to instructions if possible.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #16261 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 11:41:40 »
You can customize your keymap or program some software macros (which is OS dependent: it'll be different in *nix w/ X.Org, MS Windows, MacOS etc.) or connect the keyboard to an usb-to-usb converter (another hasu's project), but in either case you won't be able to customize the Fn keys/layer, because it only exists on internal controller's firmware level.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #16262 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 16:37:07 »
Hi, I just got my HHKB Pro 2, I would like to program another layer in it. I'm a vim user so I want to use HJKL as my arrow keys in this particular layer. I've been looking around on how I can do it but what I've seen is by using an alt controller. Is there any way I can do it without any hardware modifications? Please add some links to instructions if possible.

Only using input editing. Hasu's controller is recommended, it's basically all you need, it's pretty cheap & always stocked.

Offline enchong

« Reply #16263 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 20:29:16 »
Where can I buy the hasu controller?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #16265 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 19:10:45 »
HHKB BT

Is the micro USB port in the back really only for providing power in case the batteries die?  You can't use the keyboard with a computer via USB?  :| 

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16266 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 20:45:49 »
Derp

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 March 2018, 20:49:24 by SpAmRaY »

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #16267 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 20:49:31 »
Derp

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

;)

disregard

Offline pabile

• pabile online
« Reply #16268 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 20:54:04 »
what's the distance between this 2u stabilizer ends (mm)?

sorry, i don't have mx caps right now...

UPDATE: found it and it says 12mm
http://blog.maxkeyboard.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/MAX_Keycap_Profile_Size_Info.png
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 March 2018, 01:13:29 by pabile »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #16269 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 04:25:56 »
it says 12mm
It says 12mm from stabilizer to switch. it's then 24mm from stabilizer to stabilizer.

Offline pabile

• pabile online
« Reply #16270 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 06:38:56 »
it says 12mm
It says 12mm from stabilizer to switch. it's then 24mm from stabilizer to stabilizer.
good call! thanks a lot!

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #16271 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 19:49:44 »
Hello, good afternoon. Question here, Will a 66% 2.5.1 Cherry MX/Alps PCB fit into a Leopold FC660M? I want to make a project, and I don't feel like waiting for Clueboard's DIY to come out in MD

Also if someone can direct to me the preferred stabilizers for Alps/Matias switches that'd be awesome.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #16272 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 19:57:35 »
it says 12mm
good call! thanks a lot!

It's 11.938mm for future reference.

Offline PollandAkuma

« Reply #16273 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 11:54:46 »
Simple questions: are mx speeds smoother and shorter than mx reds

Is mx silent reds or mx speeds better in terms of typing experience

Offline duckboi

« Reply #16274 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 06:42:49 »
Simple questions: are mx speeds smoother and shorter than mx reds

Is mx silent reds or mx speeds better in terms of typing experience

MX Speed travel distance seems to be 3.4mm and MX Silent reds have 3.7mm travel distance. As long as you get retooled switches they should be similarly smooth. In terms of typing experience, its preference but I like having the larger travel and the softer bottom out, so I would say silent reds personally.  ;D
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #16275 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 01:55:43 »
What 60% pcbs support rgb backlighting but also can allow for customized lighting modes? I'm a dev if that helps. Was looking at the zeal60 but I'm not sure if I'm able to add new lighting modes and macros to support them.

Would like to have a mode where the lighting starts out white  for all keys and each individual led changes color as you type the corresponding key, plus the ability to "reset" it back to all white.
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #16276 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 11:32:33 »
Is there any difference between stabilizer wires across mount types? I.e. is the 7u stabilizer wire in cherry plate mount version the same as the 7u wire in a cherry screw in?

I’m out of 7u screw in stabs and so is NovelKeys, so I’m thinking of just ordering some plate mount for the wire and using the parts from my plethora of 2u screw in stabs.

Offline ramencup

« Reply #16277 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 09:48:11 »
What is the most common donor board for Alps SKCM Blues, and how much should I be willing to spend?

Also, how good are Alps SKCM Whites compared to Blues? A lot of the donor boards were produced in both White and Blue variants and I want to know I'll have good switches even if I lose the roulette.

Offline ___q

« Reply #16278 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 10:13:16 »
What 60% pcbs support rgb backlighting but also can allow for customized lighting modes? I'm a dev if that helps. Was looking at the zeal60 but I'm not sure if I'm able to add new lighting modes and macros to support them.

Would like to have a mode where the lighting starts out white  for all keys and each individual led changes color as you type the corresponding key, plus the ability to "reset" it back to all white.

If you are a developer and can write any amount of C you can add new lighting modes to the zeal60, I wrote a bit of code to implement the "turn on backlight when any key is depressed" flashy typing mode and it was very straightforward (albeit that example is simpler than the functionality you want). 

What is the most common donor board for Alps SKCM Blues, and how much should I be willing to spend?

Also, how good are Alps SKCM Whites compared to Blues? A lot of the donor boards were produced in both White and Blue variants and I want to know I'll have good switches even if I lose the roulette.

I cannot speak to donor boards or prices (I killed a Chicony KB-5181 for its blues at one point, but that model came with a ton of different switches). But, the transition from SKCM Blue to White is a bit tricky -- I think the general consensus is that different pieces (switch plates, sliders, etc.) were changed at different times, and so late production blues are similar to early production whites.  In my opinion, (SKCM, not simplified) White is still a great switch, and Blues are just a bit smoother.  But I have not tried a ton of boards with each so there is certainly some sample bias at play.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #16279 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 12:38:30 »
Pretty much the only boards with a greater than 90% chance of getting Blue Alps are the Leading Edge DC-2014 and the NEC PC-8801mk II sr. I have sold approximately 10-15 boards with them over the years and here is how much I sold them for by year:

2014: $60
2015: $100
2016: $120
2017: $150
2018: $200

These are for used models. NIB/NOS will go for much higher, as I've seen a new Northgate go for over $500.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #16280 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 13:39:51 »

If you are a developer and can write any amount of C you can add new lighting modes to the zeal60, I wrote a bit of code to implement the "turn on backlight when any key is depressed" flashy typing mode and it was very straightforward (albeit that example is simpler than the functionality you want). 

Good to know! Though I'm a little sad to see that the zeal60 rev 3 is now out of stock the day I decide to pull the trigger on it :P
Leopold FC660C lubed, silenced with landing pads | Norbatouch lubed, silenced with hyperspheres | Poker II MX Blue with vortex aluminum case, vortex red/white doubeshot pbt caps and o-rings | CODE TKL MX Clear with Miami | Unicomp Buckling Spring | GMMK with rainbow vomit switches, mostly jailhouse blues and pandealios

Offline proto

« Reply #16281 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 08:14:27 »
where can I get hot swap sockets that fit the kailh box switches and a zeal 60 board. I would rather not buy the zeal ones as I don't wish to spend the money for the gold plated premium.

Offline duckboi

« Reply #16282 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 12:18:45 »
where can I get hot swap sockets that fit the kailh box switches and a zeal 60 board. I would rather not buy the zeal ones as I don't wish to spend the money for the gold plated premium.

You can get hotswap sockets here: https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/miscellaneous/products/kailh-pcb-sockets?variant=3747975430184

They'll fit the kailh switches but I don't think the sockets will fit on the zeal60 since it's not designed for them.
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #16283 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 23:10:05 »
Hey guys!
Does anyone know if the GMK Classic Retro Cyrillic set actually have pad printed Cyrillic legends?
I was looking at it on Originative Co and saw this  :-[

Link here: https://www.originativeco.com/products/classic-retro-cyrillic?variant=42201024784

(please excuse the silly question, complete GMK noob here)

Thanks in advance!  :thumb:

« Last Edit: Sat, 28 April 2018, 23:16:18 by Duckyreddy »

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #16284 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 03:24:10 »
Hey guys!
Does anyone know if the GMK Classic Retro Cyrillic set actually have pad printed Cyrillic legends?

Show Image

Link here: https://www.originativeco.com/products/classic-retro-cyrillic?variant=42201024784

Yes, the Cyrillic legends, and legends on the windowed caps are pad print. 

Hoping GMK can do triple shot one day.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #16285 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 03:38:13 »
Hey guys!

Show Image

I really do love the Cyrillic look, its a shame its pad printed 
I would love for it to last 4everrrr

I was planning to put the set on a FC980M, I had my eyes set on Miami Nights but this one got my attention, both gorgeous though!
With our technology in this day and age, I'm sure Tripleshot won't be too far away hehehe

Edit: Forgot to say thank you :)

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #16286 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 05:33:52 »
Hey guys!

Show Image

I was planning to put the set on a FC980M, I had my eyes set on Miami Nights but this one got my attention, both gorgeous though!
With our technology in this day and age, I'm sure Tripleshot won't be too far away hehehe

If you're not too focused on GMK, enjoyPBT does a nice red-cyrillic beige set for much less and it's all dye-subbed.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline proto

« Reply #16287 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 17:16:15 »

You can get hotswap sockets here: https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/miscellaneous/products/kailh-pcb-sockets?variant=3747975430184

They'll fit the kailh switches but I don't think the sockets will fit on the zeal60 since it's not designed for them.
Yes unfortunately they wont fit the Zeal60 I have already checked. Any other places?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #16288 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 17:26:28 »
Hey guys!

Show Image

If you're not too focused on GMK, enjoyPBT does a nice red-cyrillic beige set for much less and it's all dye-subbed.

+1  Good suggestion.  I should've thought of that.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #16289 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 18:18:10 »
Hey guys!

Show Image

Could you please link it? Thankss :)

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline qq

• A daydreamer of possibilities
« Reply #16290 on: Sun, 29 April 2018, 23:22:38 »
What is the difference between GMK Cherry MX stabilizers (plate mount) and other cheap "genuine" Cherry M stabilizers on ebay such as these stabs? I have cheap "genuine" stabs installed on my K-type (as replacements of the crappy stock stabs). I may consider GMK stabs if they bring up significantly better typing experience.

Offline elcubismo

• Reddit page
« Reply #16291 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 11:35:59 »
Any 60% PCBs that support per-key in-switch backlighting? I just need a reactive mode because I want to show off my POMs in a subtle way.

Offline ramencup

« Reply #16292 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 20:34:51 »
How are SKCM Whites?
Just looking for a smooth and decently tactile switch with a deeper click than what MX-compatible switches offer.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #16293 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 06:13:30 »
White Alps aren't bad, they are better than clicky MX switches.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline bear95

« Reply #16294 on: Sat, 12 May 2018, 18:23:48 »
A lot of new different switch manufacturers have come up since I've been here.. is anything worthwhile trying out? As a person who preferred cherry mx black does anybody recommend trying any new switches?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16295 on: Sun, 13 May 2018, 03:04:53 »
A lot of new different switch manufacturers have come up since I've been here.. is anything worthwhile trying out? As a person who preferred cherry mx black does anybody recommend trying any new switches?
One linear switch is much like another, the only differences can be with the weight, smoothness, activation height, wobble and noise (silenced versions) - which of these would you like to change? 

Or were you thinking of trying something completely different in case your taste has changed?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #16296 on: Sun, 13 May 2018, 11:08:14 »
Could anyone recommend me some purchase options for a 96 key layout board? I love the look of the RS96 but apparently the plate was botched. Preferring something with as minimal headache as possible. I'm guessing I'll just have to hunt a board down on mm.

EDIT: Going with the Kira, whenever it comes out. Just barely missed the kickstarter. Suuuuucks!
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 May 2018, 21:10:26 by Koatl »
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline portbaron

« Reply #16297 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 02:59:50 »
Edit - solved.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 May 2018, 05:45:52 by portbaron »
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #16298 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 09:50:35 »
Is "standard" size for Tab 1.5u?

Offline bear95

« Reply #16299 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 14:23:49 »
One linear switch is much like another, the only differences can be with the weight, smoothness, activation height, wobble and noise (silenced versions) - which of these would you like to change? 

Or were you thinking of trying something completely different in case your taste has changed?

I was actually looking at the new silent version of the mx black(prefer the heavier actuation force). Seems like not a lot of people use it tho and other than the slightly lower travel distance can't seem to find much about it. I've read that gateron switches are smoother but couldn't find anything if it was quieter(which I value more). I'm probably going to mod it to make it even more quieter but would you say cherry silent blacks are the quietest switch to start with?