Author Topic: The Beer Thread!  (Read 398293 times)

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
Re: The Beer Thread!
« Reply #1650 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 11:59:59 »
Cracked a two-three year old bottles of Sahalie from Ale Apothecary while I was down in San Diego. Forgot how absolutely phenomenal that beer is with a few years on it, could be this batch though.

For those that like sours but don't know AA, get on it, they're producing some really interesting beers.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29600/86298/

Did you ever open that apricot  :thumb:

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #1651 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 12:17:14 »
Cracked a two-three year old bottles of Sahalie from Ale Apothecary while I was down in San Diego. Forgot how absolutely phenomenal that beer is with a few years on it, could be this batch though.

For those that like sours but don't know AA, get on it, they're producing some really interesting beers.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29600/86298/

AA is crazy innovative.  Their no-carb (lol) sour stout "Be Still" is so insane, but it works!

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1652 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 12:17:50 »

I opened one! It was a little bit heavy on diacetyl which could have been the bottle, I'm sitting on the other one to see if it calms down a bit. What did you think of 'em?

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1653 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 13:21:43 »

I opened one! It was a little bit heavy on diacetyl which could have been the bottle, I'm sitting on the other one to see if it calms down a bit. What did you think of 'em?

I had to google diacetyl.

I only had one a while back. I thought it was good. Sours are not my favorites, I am more of an IPA, Porter person. But I enjoyed the apricotie taste. Though I had a Sour I 0picked up from jesterking that was really good the other day. CRU 55.

"We’re pleased to introduce a very special, one-off beer from our barrel cellar called CRU 55. Back when we started our program of spontaneous fermentation in February of 2013, we had an extra 130 gallon puncheon barrel (#487 to be precise), which we filled with our RU55 Barrel Aged Sour Red Ale. After aging in our barrel room for three years, we decided to bottle and release it as the “Grand Cru” version of RU55.

CRU 55 was packaged on May 9th, 2016 after a little over three years in the barrel. It will go on sale today (Friday, August 12th, 2016) when our tasting room opens at 4pm. The bottle limit is one per customer per day (375ml, $14). We have approximately 900 bottles available"

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #1654 on: Mon, 15 August 2016, 13:32:10 »

I had to google diacetyl.

I only had one a while back. I thought it was good. Sours are not my favorites, I am more of an IPA, Porter person. But I enjoyed the apricotie taste. Though I had a Sour I 0picked up from jesterking that was really good the other day. CRU 55.

(Attachment Link)

"We’re pleased to introduce a very special, one-off beer from our barrel cellar called CRU 55. Back when we started our program of spontaneous fermentation in February of 2013, we had an extra 130 gallon puncheon barrel (#487 to be precise), which we filled with our RU55 Barrel Aged Sour Red Ale. After aging in our barrel room for three years, we decided to bottle and release it as the “Grand Cru” version of RU55.

CRU 55 was packaged on May 9th, 2016 after a little over three years in the barrel. It will go on sale today (Friday, August 12th, 2016) when our tasting room opens at 4pm. The bottle limit is one per customer per day (375ml, $14). We have approximately 900 bottles available"

This looks really good. Sours are the one type I've yet to try, but want to pretty badly.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1655 on: Sat, 20 August 2016, 16:36:02 »
Picked up some berliner weisse today.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1656 on: Wed, 24 August 2016, 16:28:46 »
Tonight's Entertainment:

No-Li Spin Cycle Red - Black raven Beaktweaker IPA - Black raven Redfeather Session Red IPA

Local brewhouses FTW  :thumb:

edit- Holy hell the Beaktweaker is amazing. if you have the means to get this beer I would very highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 August 2016, 16:59:38 by noisyturtle »

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1657 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 13:14:52 »
Is anyone using Untapped? My boss at work told me to get on it. Any other apps/sites you prefer to use instead?

https://untappd.com/user/nathanrosspowell

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1658 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 19:54:20 »
Tried the Stone RuinTen Triple IPA with Hops, Orange Peel, and Vanilla Bean.  IPAs should not have vanilla in them.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1659 on: Sun, 28 August 2016, 12:24:13 »
Is anyone using Untapped? My boss at work told me to get on it. Any other apps/sites you prefer to use instead?

https://untappd.com/user/nathanrosspowell

I would but I don't drink enough beer to justify it but I'll probably use it when I get a full time job.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1660 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 17:04:24 »
Ballast Point killing it with their watermelon double IPA:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1661 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 18:45:44 »
More from Black Raven. The limited Old Birdbrain Barleywine and a big growler of Beaktweaker IPA which might be my new favorite beer.

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #1662 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 19:49:33 »

The brew of choice tonight
I've never done it before, but I'm pretty sure I'm good at it

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #1663 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 22:54:42 »
Show Image

Show Image

I've been wanting to try that beer.
Biking is fun.

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
« Reply #1664 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 22:56:36 »
Had wurst and pretzels for dinner. Figured I'd follow up with a  beer to match. It's malty and great with mustard.
Biking is fun.

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #1665 on: Sat, 10 September 2016, 11:49:42 »
Show Image

Show Image

I've been wanting to try that beer.

I didn't find it to be that good, was overly bitter (hoppy?) and I couldn't really taste much else

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #1666 on: Sat, 10 September 2016, 12:34:17 »
I've yet to find a beer with tye dye on it that sucks.

147875-0

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #1667 on: Sun, 11 September 2016, 20:25:35 »

not as hoppy as I would have thought

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1668 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 10:54:33 »
Show Image

not as hoppy as I would have thought

Cool can at least!
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #1669 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 21:03:09 »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1670 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 22:22:30 »
mods are drunk, post wine!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1671 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 22:37:01 »
Tonight's deliciousness:

I have to say that I am spoiled by my bottle shop.  So many good beers that I see Pliny the Elder and go, meh, they have other better stuff.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #1672 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 22:56:14 »
Forgot about this thread

Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout is back and is one of the best stouts (I'm an ipa guy)

Highly recommend
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1673 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 23:17:11 »
Forgot about this thread

Show Image

Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout is back and is one of the best stouts (I'm an ipa guy)

Highly recommend

I've wanted to try CBS.  KBS was mediocre when I tried it last.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #1674 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 23:42:26 »
Forgot about this thread

Show Image

Highly recommend

I've wanted to try CBS.  KBS was mediocre when I tried it last.

It's on another level from KBS, for some reason all the bars in Downtown SJ have Founder's..
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #1675 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 13:01:11 »
New distribution agreement, a lot more brewing capacity online. Now people can stop asking why I rave about CBS and KBS.

It's still no Thirsty Dog though. If you want that, you HAVE to come to Cleveland. No apologies made or offered. It's worth the trip.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #1676 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 13:15:38 »
Last night pick: Mother Earth "Alladin Sane" Belgian style IPA.  6.2% abv.  Pretty simple beer with a single note of hops.  Very little of anything else so it is pretty underwhelming as far as an IPA goes especially considering how many good choices there are locally.  Very light drunking though, so pretty good for a nice Summer afternoon of college football (unfortunately Notre Dame lost). 

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1677 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 13:16:22 »
New to this thread. If you have not Checked out Prairies Artisan Ales or Choc Brewery from Oklahoma then DO IT!
The Choc Dubbel is an abby style Ale and it is amazing. They only make it in rare batches not days so it is kind of a=hard to get your hands on. Worth it though.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #1678 on: Sun, 18 September 2016, 13:20:59 »
New to this thread. If you have not Checked out Prairies Artisan Ales or Choc Brewery from Oklahoma then DO IT!
The Choc Dubbel is an abby style Ale and it is amazing. They only make it in rare batches not days so it is kind of a=hard to get your hands on. Worth it though.
I actually had that one when I was working in Chicago! I'm a sucker for anything that has chocolate although it is very hard to find a good chocolate infused beer.. I miss the variety of beers at a tap house haha, and I agree that is a solid choice.

I think one very controversial beer I had lately was Maui Wowie by Altamont.. Maybe it was the 10 shots I had prior but I could not stomach this one and the froth stayed for 20 minutes on top..

Tasted unrefined but when I looked it up it was 90% ratings -.-
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline yowaffle

« Reply #1679 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 17:46:31 »
New to the thread! I don't have any cool pics of beer that I've tried but I recently received a product from Kickstarter called Draft Top. Its pretty awesome! http://drafttop.com/
V60 [MQC] | KC60 [Zealiostotles] | Leopold FC660c [Topre] |  Ducky Shine 4 [MX Brown] | MiniVan [Zealios]

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #1680 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 20:45:07 »
Since Saturday, I have only had Oktoberfest-style beers.

Offline tribade

« Reply #1681 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 11:46:37 »
New to the thread! I don't have any cool pics of beer that I've tried but I recently received a product from Kickstarter called Draft Top. Its pretty awesome! http://drafttop.com/

That things pretty awesome! A couple breweries do cans with fully removable tops, but it would be nice to be able to have that ability with every can. How well does it work?
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1682 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 15:44:27 »

just bought it because of the name

Offline yowaffle

« Reply #1683 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 16:58:38 »

That things pretty awesome! A couple breweries do cans with fully removable tops, but it would be nice to be able to have that ability with every can. How well does it work?

They claim there's a break in period with the tool, so I'm currently in that. But its actually not too hard to use. The tool is harmless no sharp edges on the tool iteself or any of the cans I've popped the top off of
V60 [MQC] | KC60 [Zealiostotles] | Leopold FC660c [Topre] |  Ducky Shine 4 [MX Brown] | MiniVan [Zealios]

Offline Bigpock

« Reply #1684 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 12:27:24 »
I went to two of the five breweries in my area. J.wakefield brew, and Funky Buddah

Good stuff!

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #1685 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 12:45:44 »

Don't forget American Solera! I think they're out of Tulsa

Offline Bigpock

« Reply #1686 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 12:48:19 »
I have access to some of praries stuff at my liq store. Im gunna pick some up my next run. Ive been enjoying dogfish head lately enough to not really buy any of the 10 dollar 750mls.

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #1687 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 12:58:57 »
I have access to some of praries stuff at my liq store. Im gunna pick some up my next run. Ive been enjoying dogfish head lately enough to not really buy any of the 10 dollar 750mls.
When you make dogfish head your standard it is really hard to find better.

Are you after the bitterness or the crispness?
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline Bigpock

« Reply #1688 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 13:47:09 »
I like good beer. I like it all

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1689 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 16:06:12 »
I actually had that one when I was working in Chicago! I'm a sucker for anything that has chocolate although it is very hard to find a good chocolate infused beer.. I miss the variety of beers at a tap house haha, and I agree that is a solid choice.

I think one very controversial beer I had lately was Maui Wowie by Altamont.. Maybe it was the 10 shots I had prior but I could not stomach this one and the froth stayed for 20 minutes on top..

I had an experience with  Marshal IPA like that. It tasted amazing when I was drunk so I tried it Sober... not so great. haha

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1690 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 16:07:03 »

Don't forget American Solera! I think they're out of Tulsa
I will check them out!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1691 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 16:31:01 »

Remember that scores have a huge amount of group think and inertia bias in them.  I've had supposedly amazing beers that were awful and amazing beers with mediocre scores. 

Ballast Point's Indira Kunindra is a great example.  It is probably in the top five, if not top 2, worst beers I have ever tried.  Yet, for some reason, it has an 85-97% rating, depending on the site.  Pliny the Elder constantly gets rated a top IPA, but I could give you a list of lower ranked beers that are add good or better, but rank lower.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1692 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 19:18:31 »
149353-0

ahhhhhh
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 September 2016, 19:21:12 by ArchDill »

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #1693 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 19:51:17 »

Remember that scores have a huge amount of group think and inertia bias in them.  I've had supposedly amazing beers that were awful and amazing beers with mediocre scores. 

Ballast Point's Indira Kunindra is a great example.  It is probably in the top five, if not top 2, worst beers I have ever tried.  Yet, for some reason, it has an 85-97% rating, depending on the site.  Pliny the Elder constantly gets rated a top IPA, but I could give you a list of lower ranked beers that are add good or better, but rank lower.

I was pretty far in that night (3 IPA's and 2 Porters with some shots), but it faintly reminded me of the taste of a plant (lol). I'm quite tempted to see how it is at the start of the night, but maybe nitros just aren't my thing
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #1694 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 17:46:57 »
ending a good week with a good local beer

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #1695 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 20:02:06 »
Another Friday means another new beer

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1696 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 20:42:52 »
some local ****

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1697 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 23:11:00 »

Show Image

If I don't see anything inspiring in the local dep, I grab a bottle of this. Never done me wrong  :thumb:

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #1698 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 15:14:09 »

Show Image

If I don't see anything inspiring in the local dep, I grab a bottle of this. Never done me wrong  :thumb:

Solid beer, middle of the pack for me

Offline Bigpock

« Reply #1699 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 19:00:12 »