Author Topic: Short Review - Ducky Shine II DK9008 with White Keycaps and Cherry MX Red Switch  (Read 4959 times)

Offline Tempest790

I picked up my Ducky Shine II today!

This is my second keyboard with Cherry MX Red switches.  I've really fallen in love with these switches.  They are so smooth and feel great.

Anyway, this specific board has the white key caps and blue LED backlight.  I've already reviews MX Red's, so I won't repeat that here, but I will say that I prefer the sound and feel of the Ducky Shine over my work Rosewill with WASD keycaps.  They are slightly different in feel, and the Ducky seems a little more smooth and quieter than the Rosewill.  When I bottom out, the sound is slightly quieter no matter how hard I type.  I really do like Ducky keycaps and the white ones feel great.  Time will tell on how long they will wear, but even my old MX Blue Ducky Shine keycaps held up very well.

The blue LED's on this thing have almost a slight ultra-violet look to them.  It's surreal.  Very happy with the way it looks, especially when the keyboard tray is pushed under the desk.  The entire underside glows, it's beautiful.  There is no bleed through the white key caps. in case anyone was wondering even at the highest brightness levels.  It should be noted that blue LED's are actually the dimmest color since our eyes actually don't see blue very well.  I find that I can comfortably set the LED's to maximum brightness, and it's not overly bright like the white LED's.  Blue was actually my second choice after red LED's but this shipment didn't have that in a full size board, so blue it is.

Very nice keyboard, and the white keycaps give it a really classy touch.  I'd definitely recommend!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
A good review - I was thinking about getting blue LEDs next on a TKL Ducky, but my local retailer seems to be shedding their stock.  Maybe in anticipation of Ducky Shine 3?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
I'd really love it if you posted some pictures! I have yet to see one of these keycap + LED combos posted with LEDs on.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Tempest790

I'd really love it if you posted some pictures! I have yet to see one of these keycap + LED combos posted with LEDs on.

I'll have to take some with my wife's camera which is much better at catching blue/UV colors, but it's just like the pcs posted in the above links.  The blue LED has a slight ultraviolet look to it that the camera may not pick up, but that's about the only difference.

Offline Sorun

• Chitos
Where would be a good site to pickup a ducky II? Everywhere I have looked is sold out 99% of the time.

Offline Sorun

• Chitos
Where would be a good site to pickup a ducky II? Everywhere I have looked is sold out 99% of the time.

Offline Tempest790

MechanicalKeyboards.com has them with more coming in. The Shine III just got announced, so those will be débuting soon too.