Author Topic: Keycap advice needed for SteelSeries 7G  (Read 3470 times)

Offline ChooseBlues

Keycap advice needed for SteelSeries 7G
« on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 12:00:33 »
Hi all, I have done lots of googling but I'm still unsure about which caps to order and from where. (ideally a dutch or EU store but otherwise anywhere that will ship to me in Holland)

Could someone advise me which caps/sets are compatible with my SteelSeries 7G for sure please? Also any photos you have of certain combinations of keys would be much appreciated. I've seen compatibility tables but they aren't correct.

Thanks

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Keycap advice needed for SteelSeries 7G
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 November 2013, 13:02:17 »
Your choices are super slim because of the type of enter key SS uses.
KBC PBT (bottom of page) I have also seen white engraved version but can't find any place with stock atm.
MAX universal set.

Or, if you don't want a full set you could have plenty of choices with things like 37 sets or leaving some keys like enter stock. This shop has lot of OEM profile key which match same as stock keys.

Offline kile

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 03:34:38 »
MAX universal set.

Oh, man, you have no idea how happy you just made me :) I wanted to get a front printed keycap set for my 7G for a while, without much luck. Even qtan pretty much ignored my pleas...

But this is amazing! I looked at the Max website many times and never realized that set has a big-ass enter. And it's even relatively cheap! :D

The downside is that the translucent feature will be useless on the 7G. Unless I design and build a new controller and PCB with LED backlighting. Hmmmm... now that would be an interesting project :)

Offline kile

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 03:47:09 »
These are nice. :)

It's not a 100% match for the 7G, though. The short backspace and the short R4 backslash/pipe keys are missing from the set. So I use one of the ISO keys and the blank R4 key for backspace that you can get for free if you order this set (don't forget to include it in your order!).

Offline Neal

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 04:29:13 »
Getting aftermarket keycaps for that board is a nightmare, you have the Korean-like enter key, 1x backspace and the key next to it.
So you'd have to deal with that somehow.

Its a big improvement over the 6Gv2 though, that one had an even worse layout.

Also, going to give a shoutout to this dutch retailer here: www.mechanicalkeyboards.nl