Author Topic: RealForce 104UB Topre - First Impressions  (Read 3399 times)

Offline SonicRevolution

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Qwerkywriter
RealForce 104UB Topre - First Impressions
« on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 20:53:51 »

I'm sure many more experienced and knowledgable folks have posted their thoughts on Topre switches.  Here is my take on it. :D

The RealForce 104UB.  First impressions are

1) Really nice construction.  It's solid without being bulky.  For a $250+ keyboard, it definitely feels like an expensive mech.  I wish the finish was slightly better. I can slightly see some super slight dimples? I don't know anything about how these are made but I feel like the finish should be better?

2) So my first impression with Topre is that it's unlike anything I've typed on.  I think the PBT caps makes a huge difference and I think it's the combination of the two.  I know Topre Heaven has ABS with Topre switches.  Curious what that feels like but I know I prefer pbt's

3) I've experienced an unusual sensation as I type that the keys almost fly back into your fingers? Not sure how to describe it but it feels like it resets in to position in a really intuitive way.  This was really cool to discover!

4) when I first got it, my heart sank a bit because it almost felt like a old school rubber dome or almost like a Cherry Brown.  I personally don't like Cherry Browns.  i know that many love that switch.  I personally don't.  But after awhile, Topre's felt pretty fun and I could tell these were remarkable switches.  They are NOT rubber domey at all.  It's just at first it kinda feels that way.

5) I actually am glad I added Topre to my collection later in my mech owning experience.  I think I would not been able to appreciate it.  This is not to say I'm some kind of mech elitist.  I think my first mech being Cherry Blue's were super positive.  It was clicky and clacky!  Kind of what I "thought" a mech keyboard should sound and feel like.

SonicRevolution
www.qwerkywriter.com
@qwerkywriter on Twitter

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
Re: RealForce 104UB Topre - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 21:16:40 »
Post in Reviews Section XD

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 22:06:14 »
Can you go into more detail about how they feel?  "Fun" doesn't say a whole lot :P

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 22:16:05 »
Can you go into more detail about how they feel?  "Fun" doesn't say a whole lot :p

It's a REALFORCE Thorpie, hence why would you want another review of it, did they suddenly change switches, manufacturing procedures or style of these keyboards now?

If you like traditional membranes than these will suit you..... if not, you've got to look elsewhere.

SonicRevolution, congrats on your purchase buddy  :thumb: .

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 22:20:15 »
Can you go into more detail about how they feel?  "Fun" doesn't say a whole lot :p

It's a REALFORCE Thorpie, hence why would you want another review of it, did they suddenly change switches, manufacturing procedures or style of these keyboards now?

If you like traditional membranes than these will suit you..... if not, you've got to look elsewhere.

SonicRevolution, congrats on your purchase buddy  :thumb: .

I have yet to find a review of Topre that isn't just mysticism. 

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 02:40:18 »
It is difficult to describe the feel of Topre.  Most people love it.

Give yourself a couple of weeks using just this keyboard, and then try switching back to something else ;)

And this would be better posted in Reviews.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 08:04:19 »
It is difficult to describe the feel of Topre.  Most people love it.

Give yourself a couple of weeks using just this keyboard, and then try switching back to something else ;)

And this would be better posted in Reviews.
Bolded points +1. I too posted my HHKB thread on this part of the forum. Well it wasn't exactly a review but meh.

Again I have said before and I will said again. There is no simple ways to describe the feeling of a Topre switch. Some says it feels nice, some say it feels funny, one said that it feels like jumping on trampoline, etc, etc, etc. Everyone's sense of Topre switch varies greatly.

Why don't (PointyFox) give Topre a go? I mean you don't have to buy it just to try it out. There might be keyboard tours, keyboard meetup, keyboard parties, etc. That you may try. Heck even some shops that may allow one to test the switches. If one exhausted all those avenues, there is nothing wrong with buying a Topre switch based board, trying it out and then finding that it does not suit your taste. It is not like you are going to lose an arm and a leg over reselling.

Personally I don't have such luxuries when it came to my HHKB, living in a country where Topre let alone HHKB is hardly heard of my only way was to try it out and see how I fare with it. I did not have any sort of high expectations on Topre switches, I was merely interesting on other points of HHKB apart from the fact that it featured a Topre switch. The whole Topre switch was largely unknown to me and even if someone were to describe it in 800 words, it may not be something that I can agree with fully. Again, buy a nce one and try it out. If it does not suit you, at least you have some form of backing to prove that you have some experience with Topre rather than musing on needless thoughts.

I am not trying to grill you here, don't get confused on that point. If you are in some more luckier place where such keyboard testers exist for example, do try and hit up. Otherwise one can only endlessly speculate on how it would feel based totally on how others would describe it.

Forgot to add, another happy customer (OP). Seems like you have taken aboard the Topre switch!.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 December 2013, 08:08:40 by tuxsavvy »
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline SonicRevolution

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Qwerkywriter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 18:46:31 »
Topre is not hype.  It's truly a remarkable switch.  As a relatively new mech enthusiast, I found Topre + PBT combo to be an exceptional experience!  Couldn't be happier.

SonicRevolution
www.qwerkywriter.com
@qwerkywriter on Twitter