Author Topic: Looking for a new board  (Read 1539 times)

Offline PrisonSex

Looking for a new board
« on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 23:29:41 »
My CM Storm Trigger got fried today and unfortunately I am typing this thread on a $13 keyboard from Wal-Mart.  :-[

I'm looking for a new keyboard TKL or fullsize. My Trigger had MX Blues which I liked, but I'm probably looking into getting clears/browns as the clicking is quite annoying for a person (me) who has chronic migraines.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have a price range of < $150

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Looking for a new board
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 23:37:25 »
CM QFR is always a good start, TKL, inexpensive but good quality.

Ducky Zero too.  You'd probably want to avoid a Ducky Shine - backlighting is designed to be seen, and even at low intensity it can be very bright.

As for switch, I would tend to suggest something with a stiffer switch so that you would be less likely to bottom out, or perhaps O-rings to soften the down stroke.

Alternatively you could look at a Topre board, which is much quieter on the downstroke and has a nice smooth THOCK on the up stroke (less so for the silenced version, but they tend to be much more expensive).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xuanwumen

• * Commercial Vendor
    • EZKB
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 04:17:22 »
TKL with cherry mx clear and brown..
NIZ KEYBOARDS VENDOR

Offline miroslav

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 04:26:02 »
I would suggest a Filco. They have superb build quality but they are quite hard to find. Leopolds are also pretty good and they have a detachable USB cable which I think is a plus. But yeah the QCF is a good start. They have good build quality and also are quite cheap in comparison to the likes of Filco/Leopolds/Ducky.

There are a lot of choices out there and I would suggesting getting either a brown/red switch. The QCF is probably one of the cheaper options. Topre keyboards are also an option if you have a bigger wallet as they are quite expensive. Topre/Leopold/HHKB all do Topre key switches. Maybe do a bit of research on those and see which one you like best.

Hope it helps!

Offline PrisonSex

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 20:15:28 »
What about Keycool? Their TKL boards come with PBT caps from what I've seen. I think I'm between the QFR, a Keycool, or a Ducky Zero. Backlighting isn't a deal breaker as long as I have the option to turn it off, but I'd rather just pay the extra cost for a higher quality keyboard.

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 20:24:23 »
Filco

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc