Author Topic: HHKB Pro III.  (Read 46887 times)

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: HHKB Pro III.
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 12:16:01 »
I think my list has already been said but here goes:
2. Metal plate option.
4. MX compatible sliders and/or more Topre keycap options.

2. A metal plate would make HHKBs feel like a RF and thus destroy the classic HHKB feel.
4. Cherry profile is just plain wrong on an HHKB. I have no strong feelings about SA or DSA but I think PBT OEM Topre is part of the HHKB appeal.

Split Fn/Spacebar.  Option for hi-pro caps. Aluminum case with weight. PBT space bar. USB C.

Yes, yes, no, yes, yes

Hi-pro caps are fine but the board would need to be changed to allow for the hi-pro upper housing, just using hi-pro caps increases wobble because the caps lack support. Making an Aluminum HHKB will change the entire feeling of the board and basically make it an RF unless it was alu with a plastic plate.

I agree on the cherry profile. I ONLY like stock topre caps. They are part of the experience. I have no want or need for the sliders but I think it would be neat for the people that use them.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 12:18:46 »
A standard bottom row.
No

Surprised at the amount of people who want to change the few things that make this keyboard unique.

I think a lot of people put up with the weirdness/drawbacks of HHKB just to get the great feel of the case mounted switches.

The popularity of HHKB layout MX builds would say otherwise.

The unix layout is why I personally love it. The switches are just an added plus. A good chunk of this thread is just people indirectly wanting a Topre Pok3r.

the HHKB layout is the best layout out there IMO. They popularity is through the roof right now. I think people (I know I would) riot if the next iteration was not the same layout. I am perfectly happy with my Pro 2 and even if a Pro 3 came out I would most likely not buy. I have too much invested in this one. Now a Pro 1 is a different story...

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #102 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 12:31:01 »
Surprised at the amount of people who want to change the few things that make this keyboard unique.
+1
Having endorsed this sentiment, I've been guilty of changing some things in the HHKB Pro 2 -- namely, adding silencing rings and lube. However, silencing is already an option and lube isn't in the same category as making a fundamental change in the structure of the keyboard.

I've experimented with other changes, such as swapping out 45g domes for 55g, but since then I've gone back to the stock 45g domes. In the past, I've also wished for a steel plate, but I think that a steel plate in the 60% form factor would be too stiff. I like the resilience of the plastic case-mounted switches in the HHKB Pro 2.

I can understand why some folks would like to have rubber-tipped feet, but these would not be too difficult to add to the existing model. Many 60% keyboards do not have flip-out feet; in such cases, it is easy to add self-adhesive feet or bumpers. I like a fairly steep typing angle, and to achieve this on some of my boards I use cone-shaped rubber feet to get the necessary height without requiring a large diameter. I use an extra-large mouse pad that is big enough for a keyboard and mouse, and this keeps any keyboard from sliding on the desk.

Weight is sometimes equated with build quality, but this is not a necessary correlation. I was initially put off by the lightness of the HHKB Pro 2, but then I realized that I don't pick up the board that often to notice its weight. And sometimes, I like to carry the board with me in my backpack -- in those situations, I am glad I'm carrying a HHKB Pro 2 and not a Kishsaver.

Nevertheless, if PFU or another company were to decide to introduce a HHKB Pro III, more power to them. I just hope that if this were to happen that they would continue to produce the HHKB Pro 2 as well.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 13:08:26 »
the HHKB layout is the best layout out there IMO. They popularity is through the roof right now. I think people (I know I would) riot if the next iteration was not the same layout. I am perfectly happy with my Pro 2 and even if a Pro 3 came out I would most likely not buy. I have too much invested in this one. Now a Pro 1 is a different story...

I agree about the layout, I think HHKBs have plenty of keys and with the addition of a HASU you can really make it perfect. I currently have a 55g RF domeswapped Pro 2 and a Pro 1 (both HASU) but I am considering a 3rd for a future project so if a 3 came out I may buy one.

Yep, seems like a lot of people just want a topre Pok3r. This wouldn't be a job for PFU but instead a job for Topre themselves. HHKBs are moddable as is without ruining the core design of the board, if you want something entirely different maybe you should buy a different board.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 18:17:50 »
1. What does a HASU do?
2. I see more people asking for split spacebar than anything else. The last I checked, there aren't any staggered boards that come with one.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 18:20:37 »
1. What does a HASU do?
2. I see more people asking for split spacebar than anything else. The last I checked, there aren't any staggered boards that come with one.

A HASU controller allows you to reprogram the HHKB so you can have whatever layout you want.

There are plenty of custom boards the come with a split space, just not many (if any) mass produced boards with them. Unless you count JIS as a split space
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 20:28:01 »

Yep, seems like a lot of people just want a topre Pok3r. This wouldn't be a job for PFU but instead a job for Topre themselves. HHKBs are moddable as is without ruining the core design of the board, if you want something entirely different maybe you should buy a different board.
[/quote]

Speaking just for myself, it's more about the unique feel of case mounted, 45g Topre switches that PFU has put together. There is no other keyboard I know of that offers that great feeling. So I put up with the non-optimal layout to get that typing feel that can currently only be found on the HHKB. So since I prefer the standard ANSI layout, I can dream about a PFU, case-mounted 45g or 55g TKL that would offer that great key switch feel + the format that I have memorized over 20 years. I think they could sell quite a few case-mounted Topre switch keyboard that have a more traditional layout, while still offering the HHKB Unix-style deal. Probably never happen.

« Last Edit: Mon, 22 May 2017, 20:29:40 by losing_ctrl »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 22:27:37 »
Speaking just for myself, it's more about the unique feel of case mounted, 45g Topre switches that PFU has put together. There is no other keyboard I know of that offers that great feeling. So I put up with the non-optimal layout to get that typing feel that can currently only be found on the HHKB. So since I prefer the standard ANSI layout, I can dream about a PFU, case-mounted 45g or 55g TKL that would offer that great key switch feel + the format that I have memorized over 20 years. I think they could sell quite a few case-mounted Topre switch keyboard that have a more traditional layout, while still offering the HHKB Unix-style deal. Probably never happen.

No matter how much people in the community want something like that it won't happen. Similar to the GMK PBT argument, it makes no sense economically for PFU to make a TKL.

I think you're in a minority when it comes to thinking the HHKB layout is non-optimal.

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 22:51:13 »

No matter how much people in the community want something like that it won't happen. Similar to the GMK PBT argument, it makes no sense economically for PFU to make a TKL.

I think you're in a minority when it comes to thinking the HHKB layout is non-optimal.

I'm curious if you think it would make economic sense for PFU to make any other keyboard products than what they make right now. Do you  think they shouldn't branch out and provide their superior combination of case-mounted Topre on any other layouts? Nothing makes sense for them to do different? If I were them I'd keep the HHKB as their crown jewel, but maybe dip their toe in some other formats to test how broad the appeal of the case mounted Topre switch could be.

But then maybe I'd bankrupt them with my crazy schemes, ha.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 23:03:48 »

I'm curious if you think it would make economic sense for PFU to make any other keyboard products than what they make right now. Do you  think they shouldn't branch out and provide their superior combination of case-mounted Topre on any other layouts? Nothing makes sense for them to do different? If I were them I'd keep the HHKB as their crown jewel, but maybe dip their toe in some other formats to test how broad the appeal of the case mounted Topre switch could be.

But then maybe I'd bankrupt them with my crazy schemes, ha.

It's just that keyboards are only a small part of their income so small changes to the HHKB (like the HHKB BT) make sense because they're adding something to an already successful product. Given the size of their company and the fact that a PFU TKL would be competing with Realforce (owned by Topre) just makes the board a risky idea. HHKBs offer something that Realforces don't, a PFU TKL would only expand their range to a tiny market of collectors who care about the difference between case and plate mount Topre.

Offline lakiozoon

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 08:30:53 »

I do like most of the things HHKB layout has to offer (FN and backspace placement, and more).
Still, I don't think there is anything "optimal" about it not having all of the bottom row keys, unless maybe you like to rest your fingers there :)

While I know most of you like the "uniqueness" of it, I personally couldn't care less about it. I only want it to fit my needs the best.

To each, his own I guess. Regards!

Offline Encabulator

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 10:02:50 »
Don't assault me for saying this, but I think it would be pretty cool if they stopped wasting all that space on the bottom and put something there other than a billboard for their product. I mean seriously, with a 60% you need all the keys you can fit. Just put the fancy logo on the side of the board.
relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Though tp4 will personally chew you out if you start selling $60 orings.

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 13:20:39 »

I do like most of the things HHKB layout has to offer (FN and backspace placement, and more).
Still, I don't think there is anything "optimal" about it not having all of the bottom row keys, unless maybe you like to rest your fingers there :)

While I know most of you like the "uniqueness" of it, I personally couldn't care less about it. I only want it to fit my needs the best.

To each, his own I guess. Regards!
I used to think this as well, but when you go to design a board with the purpose of maintaining home row orientation, you quickly find out that the only way to reach that corner of the board is to take your hands off of the home row, so it'should essentially dead space.
Don't assault me for saying this, but I think it would be pretty cool if they stopped wasting all that space on the bottom and put something there other than a billboard for their product. I mean seriously, with a 60% you need all the keys you can fit. Just put the fancy logo on the side of the board.
I'm considering placing a display on one side and a usb on the other.

« Last Edit: Tue, 23 May 2017, 13:33:35 by SpectreiiI »

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 13:30:41 »
I'm considering placing a display one one side and a usb on the other.
What

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 14:30:24 »
Perhaps a small knob and a misile switch would be more fitting.

Offline Doluded

• road to black star
HHKB Pro III.
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 16:27:54 »
If the HHKB III doesn't have RGB why would anyone buy it?

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 19:54:46 »
If the HHKB III doesn't have RGB why would anyone buy it?
Bears, beets, Battles Star Galactica.

Offline dblack

• Formerly ZuXzu
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 13:59:01 »
metal

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 16:25:17 »
metal

What metal?: The plate? The case? The key caps?

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 18:55:57 »
A 6.25u or 7u spacebar.  And personally I'd want it to come with topre/mx stems, but I'd be content with just a change to a standard-sized spacebar.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #120 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 21:59:41 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 07:16:23 »

Show Image

Yup

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 09:35:51 »
Plot twist, HHKB III is released but with Cherry switches.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 10:03:04 »

Imagine the swarms of angry customers going into keyboard shops

Offline mkkeyboardvigilante

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 16:12:18 »
Here's another plot twist: the Cherry switches aren't even Cherry switches at all. They're imitation Romer G switches.
Current driver: HHKB Pro 2 (BKE Ultra Lights), Wooting One w/ Flaretech Red switches and HyperX PBT keycaps.

Other keyboards I own and like: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, Niz Plum, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings.

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740,
Yeah, it's a loooooooooooot of keyboards. :P

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 16:45:08 »
tbh I am pretty happy with my BT and Pro 1. Not sure I would buy a 3....

JK I would prob cop

Offline etca2z

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 08:36:26 »
The only upgrades needed are USB C and user programmable firmware.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 11:15:14 »
1 USB-C
2 Bluetooth with internal battery (like dual 18650's)
3 Thick pbt key caps
4 Programmable
5 Internal flash/ssd storage would be cool

I feel its important to leave the case and design alone though. That plastic plate/case sound is what makes it so nice.
-Dana

Offline donnghia

« Reply #128 on: Mon, 03 June 2019, 01:50:24 »
1 USB-C
2 Bluetooth with internal battery (like dual 18650's)
3 Thick pbt key caps
4 Programmable
5 Internal flash/ssd storage would be cool

I feel its important to leave the case and design alone though. That plastic plate/case sound is what makes it so nice.

but they should not discontinued the (still new) Bluetooth version.

The PRO 3 is good but sure will have wire !

Offline Paspie

« Reply #129 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 12:50:11 »
Besides what has already been mentioned, I would like an ISO layout version. I wouldn't mind a PBT spacebar if they have to split the key in two to make manufacturing easier.