Author Topic: Steampunked Dell AT101W (Black)  (Read 15045 times)

Offline PropNut

Steampunked Dell AT101W (Black)
« on: Thu, 21 May 2009, 23:27:08 »
I picked up a Dell AT101W (Black) on Ebay last week, and it was delivered yesterday. I found out about these excellent keyboards by following a thread here on this site.

I had already decided to steampunk it before it arrived so it would match my custom cherry wood computer case. I decided to borrow ideas from a SteamPunk artist named Jake von Slatt. I purchased some recycled brass from the local recyclers and went to work.

It was actually pretty easy and quick. As you see it, three hours of work. I cut the parts out of a sheet of 1/4" for the sides, the front and back rails are from a double bullnosed piece of 7/8" x 3/4" thick stock. I cut it down the middle to have two rounded pieces with flats on top and bottom (and the square side toward the keyboard).

The parts were cut out with a bandsaw, and chop saw. I did the dado's (Grooves to hold the keytray) on my metal mill machine. A little time with a palm sander (320 grit), some 3M grey scotchbrite pades, car wax, and elbow grease resulted in the shiney peices you see (or soon will). The Keytray is lined with dark grey felt, it is pieced in as I didnt have a way to safely pull the keys and lay it under them. It is actually hard to tell it is pieced in.

The Dell "Clicky" was heavy before I started this, now it weighs a ton! I love typing on it, is is stable and solid on the desk. The keys have not faded or worn off at all, although it has been well used (the keys are very discolored but I have no intention of buffing them up. The discoloration goes well with the "steampunk look).

The von Slatt keyboards use antique keys as replacements for the modern plastic keys, but I type too alot of papers and worry about being comfortable with flat round keys so I kept the stock caps on there.

With no further adieu nor guilding of the lilly, I give you my steampunked Dell AT101W keyboard!

Update:

Here are some pictures of the PC this keyboard belongs to:

« Last Edit: Fri, 22 May 2009, 06:29:06 by PropNut »

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 May 2009, 23:48:09 »
That is awesome. Were you the original creator who turned the Model M into the steampunk keyboard with the custom keycaps and everything?

Your photobucket page also shows you're one hell of a woodworker.

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 May 2009, 00:16:56 »
wow I'm very impressed with this mod. Now only if the keytops are blank xD!
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline chimera15

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 May 2009, 00:28:28 »
Pretty awesome, are you a pro modder? Are you going to do anything to the keys? Maybe lacquer them or something at least?  They'd look awesome painted gold or something.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 May 2009, 01:09:56 »
Quote from: chimera15;92032
Pretty awesome, are you a pro modder? Are you going to do anything to the keys? Maybe lacquer them or something at least?  They'd look awesome painted gold or something.

yea make it look like the HHKB HG or something. lol.
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 May 2009, 03:03:03 »
Wow, three hours. :shocked:

Very nice. I think maybe veneer would look good too where the felt is.

You can buy keycap pullers. Recommended for Alps keycaps.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline PropNut

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 May 2009, 06:09:30 »
Ripster:

You can use your table saw to do the dados but you must go very slow and make shallow cuts. I am sure you noticed the heat buildup while working with the aluminium, it is worse with the brass so you must cool the brass after each cut also. I used the mill because it cut quickly and efficiently, you could get the same results with a good four flute routerbit and a router table (or shaper table)

It was never in Maxiumum PC as far as I know, there was a feature article on the 5 wood PC, excellent workmanship but it still looked like a PC case. I was trying not to look like a PC with mine.

o2dazone:

The origninator of this keyboard idea is Jake von Slatt, who has been featured many times on tech TV and magazines. Here is his website: http://steampunkworkshop.com/keyboard.shtml

Another steampunk artist who borrowed ideas from von Slatt is Datamancer, here is his website: (notice the price on his keyboards?! 1400.00 + I do believe they are worth it but WOW)
http://www.datamancer.net/

watduzhkstand4:

I would never be able to type if I could'nt see what keys I was pushing!! :D

No, I am not going to do anything more with the keys. I have been told that I would get used to the round keys after a while but I am happy with the stock keys.

lowpoly:

Thanks. I was thinking of a cherry veneer (I have several 4x8 sheets in the shop) for the liner, ripster also has an excellent idea with leather. I like the felt as it fills in the depth of the keyboard.

I have been looking into the keycap pullers,thanks.They are pretty cheap.

I added some pictures of my PC case also.

Offline PropNut

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 May 2009, 10:45:09 »
I used the thick material for the front and back as I wanted to be able to bolt them together with 1/4" brass machine screws. The original is actually thin "U" or "C" channel soldered to the side pieces. That might be easier if you do not have anything to make the dados with. I just wanted to be able to disassemble the unit.

Offline PropNut

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 May 2009, 11:33:11 »
Having the right tools and a huge shop helps (my shop is 1500 sq ft)

Offline vils

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 22 May 2009, 19:16:50 »
Very nice indeed. Is that an analouge water temp meter I see?
I've used that too:

Bad pic but you get the idea...
OT: I read the articles on steampunk and retrofuturism at wikipedia and none of them mentioned Terry Gilliams "Brazil", a bit odd.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 May 2009, 19:18:44 by vils »
It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.

Offline PropNut

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 23 May 2009, 21:42:15 »
I thought it appropreate ;)