Author Topic: Help me restore IBM model M  (Read 6331 times)

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Help me restore IBM model M
« on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 10:51:41 »
A fellow geekhacker gave me a model M (shoutout to ShriekBob ) .

I want to bolt-mod it , turn it into Azerty (ISO ) and use a teensy for a removable Usb cable .

For the ANSI=> ISO conversion is it really that simple ?
http://imgur.com/a/fmqXG (spare me your ripster comments )
Unicomp can make me a ISO keyset right ?

Bolt mod seems to be pretty simple , any special recommandation/guide for it ?

For the teensy mod , I've no ressource  at all about it , do you have a link about it ?

There is a few springs missing (beside the barrels with inserts ) on the keyboard on those spots :
( can't take pictures ultra potato phone )
Is it normal ?

Thanks .
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Re: Help me restore IBM model M
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 14:39:40 »
Bumping because approval bug made it not show into new posts :)
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 15:12:38 »
Yes, in ANSI layout, normal for springs to be missing for some of the keys :

Left Shift
Right Shift
Backspace
Enter
Space bar
Numpad 0
Numpad Enter
Numpad +

All of these, except spacebar, have an insert in the barrel instead of a spring, which the multi-wide key on top uses for stabilization (horizontal key stabs are centered, vertical key stabs are offset).  The spacebar barrel is just empty - it helps with stabilization as is.

Yes, Unicomp will sell you an ISO keyset (in pearl/pebble, gray and probably even white).  You will have to move the spring from the existing pipe key to the empty location of the existing enter, and you will need an additional spring/hammer for the left shift to split it.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 18:10:03 »
Yes, in ANSI layout, normal for springs to be missing for some of the keys :

Left Shift
Right Shift
Backspace
Enter
Space bar
Numpad 0
Numpad Enter
Numpad +

All of these, except spacebar, have an insert in the barrel instead of a spring, which the multi-wide key on top uses for stabilization (horizontal key stabs are centered, vertical key stabs are offset).  The spacebar barrel is just empty - it helps with stabilization as is.

Yes, Unicomp will sell you an ISO keyset (in pearl/pebble, gray and probably even white).  You will have to move the spring from the existing pipe key to the empty location of the existing enter, and you will need an additional spring/hammer for the left shift to split it.

Thanks , very helpful.
Do you know anything about teensy mod ?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 22:32:43 »
You may find my guide useful:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62226.msg1451930#msg1451930
Do you know anything about teensy mod ?

Lookup soarers converter. Install it on a teensy, then plug the cables in correctly. VCC to 5v on teensy gnd to gnd on teensy across from it. Data and clock go to the pins mentioned in the documentation. Now your model M is USB, and fully programmable without reflashing.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 06:57:19 »
we are talking about this thread right ?

I'll look into it .
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 08:34:38 »
In my guide I did something like the opposite, approximately ISO-to-ANSI.

Just look at the undersides of the new keys that you want to install, and figure out which barrels do need springs and which ones do not.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline geniekid

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 09:00:07 »
Note that an internal Soarer's convertor will require desoldering the port connector to remove it from the controller so that you can wire the Teensy to the controller.  It's not too difficult but if you just want programmability and USB there are external convertors with Soarer's firmware built-in.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:34:10 »
In my guide I did something like the opposite, approximately ISO-to-ANSI.

Just look at the undersides of the new keys that you want to install, and figure out which barrels do need springs and which ones do not.
Thanks for this , this will be heplfull
Note that an internal Soarer's convertor will require desoldering the port connector to remove it from the controller so that you can wire the Teensy to the controller.  It's not too difficult but if you just want programmability and USB there are external convertors with Soarer's firmware built-in.
I saw that two  but for aestethic reason i'll use and internal one .
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline shut up

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 11:53:36 »
Bolt mod is fairly straightforward, if it's your first time you should be able to get it done in an afternoon.
Just be very wary about placement, and try and use a drill press if one is available. I followed Dorkvader's guide, and it was very helpful and easy to follow.
IBM Model M 42h1292 (Bolt mod, but still broken Yaaaayyyy) | Adesso Mkb-125b MX blues | Alienware Tactx (D0me5.)

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 06:28:14 »
So after several months, I finally got my parts, but I'm kind of lost about the Teensy part of the mod, I looked at both this : http://straypoetry.com/ibm-model-m-keyboard/
and this : https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=17458.0

My controler looks like this :

Don't want to mess this thing.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 09:07:51 »
You can use an external converter and keep the original cable:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58941.msg1348717#msg1348717

Otherwise, you need to identify the 4 connections: +5V, ground, data, and clock because they are what you connect to the Teensy.

I have never done this with a Model M, but many others have.

If you have a multimeter, you can plug in your existing cable and go pin by pin to see which connection to the controller is activated by which pin on the cable.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline geniekid

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 16:03:11 »
If you want to install an internal Teensy convertor you will have to desolder the SDL port from the controller PCB. 

90762-0

Once the SDL port is removed you will have to figure out which of the 4 holes are GND, VCC, Data and Clock.  Then you will have to wire those 4 lines to the correct holes on the Teensy.  After that, you flash Soarer's convertor on the Teensy (or you can do that before hand) and then you should be good to go.  Soarer's convertor comes with pretty good documentation that describes the details.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 16:40:09 »

Once the SDL port is removed you will have to figure out which of the 4 holes are GND, VCC, Data and Clock. 

If you have a multimeter, this is probably much easier to do before you remove it !

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 14 February 2015, 19:45:32 »
If you want to install an internal Teensy convertor you will have to desolder the SDL port from the controller PCB. 

(Attachment Link)

Once the SDL port is removed you will have to figure out which of the 4 holes are GND, VCC, Data and Clock.  Then you will have to wire those 4 lines to the correct holes on the Teensy.  After that, you flash Soarer's convertor on the Teensy (or you can do that before hand) and then you should be good to go.  Soarer's convertor comes with pretty good documentation that describes the details.
exactly what I needed, thanks a lot! I guess I need a multimeter now.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 09:24:01 »
Ok so bolt mod done, plugged the keyboard with the Original connector to try it before atempting the teensy mod (that I haven't totally figured out).

It is powered (led lit up), but none of the keys works.
I have no idea how I could test what's wrong with the keyboard. Can someone bring knowledge?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 09:57:55 »
I have no idea how I could test what's wrong with the keyboard. Can someone bring knowledge?

(1) Is this a terminal model?

If yes, then it will need a Teensy, or something, under any circumstances. If no, then 2:

(2) Did it work before you took it apart?

If yes, then I would start looking for a wiring/connection problem. If no, then you should not expect it to work now.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 10:17:31 »

If yes, then it will need a Teensy, or something, under any circumstances. If no, then 2:

If yes, then I would start looking for a wiring/connection problem. If no, then you should not expect it to work now.
(1)  it's not a terminal it's an IBM Enhanced Keyboard similar to the picture in op:  http://i.imgur.com/zPi0H7e.jpg

(2) I think I tested it bu I can't remember. It's been a while.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 11:35:29 »

(1)  it's not a terminal it's an IBM Enhanced Keyboard similar to the picture in op:  http://i.imgur.com/zPi0H7e.jpg

There are only 4 wires. You probably have power and ground correct if the lights are on.

Is it possible that you reversed data and clock? Remember that the diagrams show the socket on the computer, not the plug on the cable.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 12:02:24 »

There are only 4 wires. You probably have power and ground correct if the lights are on.

Is it possible that you reversed data and clock? Remember that the diagrams show the socket on the computer, not the plug on the cable.
I haven't done the teensy mode yet, only bolt moded so far.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 12:22:03 »
only bolt moded so far.

If you have not changed any wiring, then the problem might have been there before you began.

I have never had good luck with repairing or changing Model M controllers. Someone else knows better than I.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 12:34:53 »
only bolt moded so far.

If you have not changed any wiring, then the problem might have been there before you began.

I have never had good luck with repairing or changing Model M controllers. Someone else knows better than I.
Ok thanks i'll look for solutions.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 13:13:08 »
I'd suggest disconnecting everything inside the keyboard one by one, and reconnecting them all (all of the obvious connectors).  Possibly one of them is not 100% plugged in.

Could you also contact the person who gave you the keyboard to ask if it was working originally?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 13:24:59 »
I'd suggest disconnecting everything inside the keyboard one by one, and reconnecting them all (all of the obvious connectors).  Possibly one of them is not 100% plugged in.

Could you also contact the person who gave you the keyboard to ask if it was working originally?
I'll try that, apparently was working originally :/
Azerty Propagandiste