Author Topic: eBay sellers fees are ridiculous  (Read 5161 times)

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
eBay sellers fees are ridiculous
« on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 09:46:40 »
Just sold my OnePlus One on ebay for $410. ebay charged me 10% in fees ($41) on top of the 4% PayPal fee ($17). Essentially 15% of the the final value of the item going into ebays pocket.  :'(

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
Re: eBay sellers fees are ridiculous
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 09:49:43 »
gee might as well be ebay selling it
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 09:54:02 »
Try Craigslist?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 10:12:11 »
This is all from memory, which may be faulty, but when I started with ebay, most of my sales were in the $10-$50 range. At that point, there were listing fees of about $1-$2 plus "final" fees of 3%-4% not including shipping charges. Paypal fees were only about 1%-2%.

After a couple of iterations of "revisions" (from my perspective) over the course of a decade or so, listing fees have pretty much disappeared (for me at least, but maybe I somehow just graduated out of them), shipping is now part of price (partly to encourage "free shipping" which I prefer), and seller fees are pretty much at 10% of final price including shipping.

Paypal is about 3% + $0.30 per transaction (except for "gifts") and if you go the gift route, there are no guarantees for anybody and Paypal does not list the address of the recipient (because who gives money to strangers or asks for a gift to be returned?).

These fees are totally rapacious since it costs ebay and Paypal an infinitesimal amount to "host" these transactions, but it is still well worth it because they are "the only game in town". Seriously, how else can you place your wares in front of the world, literally? Ebay alone is the most universal worldwide marketplace, and you are almost sure to get your best price there.

So, after all the hating and anger is expended, I still use ebay and recommend it to everybody else as well.

But if you see one of my sales and want to contact me directly through Geekhack so that I can bypass ebay's fees, I will gladly give you a 5%-10% discount!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 10:39:44 »
These fees are totally rapacious since it costs ebay and Paypal an infinitesimal amount to "host" these transactions, but it is still well worth it because they are "the only game in town". Seriously, how else can you place your wares in front of the world, literally? Ebay alone is the most universal worldwide marketplace, and you are almost sure to get your best price there.

Reminds me of the absurd "convenience charges" from Ticketmaster/Livenation, not to mention the fact that they even charge you when you want to print your tickets.  And the venues are trapped into using these websites or they will lose access to a wide number of artists

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 20:25:14 »
Yeah, I actually feel tricked. I read the listing guide as 'Selling on Ebay is free and easy' which is exactly what it says, but got hit with a $37 fee yesterday. I honestly feel like I was lied to.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 20:40:35 »
maybe buy some ebay.com stock?  Become one of the swindlers, rather than the swindled.

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/ebay

U live in a capitalist country.  Act like it.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 21:14:41 »
maybe buy some ebay.com stock?  Become one of the swindlers, rather than the swindled.

*Assumes everyone has money to invest*

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 21:35:32 »

*Assumes everyone has money to invest*

If you got a savings account, you got money to invest.  Waywaywayway better return than any savings account.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 21:49:58 »
That's assuming your investment is a positive investment and that you won't lose money on it.  Additionally, it assumes that you can invest the sum of your account.  Some of the more worthwhile investments require a minimum of a certain dollar amount, an amount greater than the savings accounts of some people.  Additionally, some people need fluid assets due to job instability and other factors, so they cannot invest those assets without fear of being out on the street at a future date.

While it is nice to think that everyone can invest, there is a sizable percentage of the population who cannot invest or whose investment options are poor choices for them.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 22:15:44 »
Yeah, what Nubbs said - the rich gets richer. The poor get screwed by ebay  , he he he.

Offline engicoder

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 23:23:43 »
Just sold my OnePlus One on ebay for $410. ebay charged me 10% in fees ($41) on top of the 4% PayPal fee ($17). Essentially 15% of the the final value of the item going into ebays pocket.  :'(

Yes, it blows, but they kind of have you by the balls because where else can you (as a seller) reach so many potential buyers with such little selling effort. Craigslist is free, but reaches only your local area and you have to deal face to face with people, both honest and dishonest, with little or no avenue for recourse.

I've sold many things on both ebay and craigslist....if its something with a very wide audience I look to craigslist, otherwise it goes on ebay.

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 21:48:34 »
I am so sick of Ebay charging 10% on top of listing fees, that ads up fast.
then Paypal takes their share too.
I'm with you on this.

Offline usno_oj

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 06:44:18 »
The eBay fees are a bit much, but I feel its better than craigslist unless the person can actually come to you.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 08:14:13 »
I am so sick of Ebay charging 10% on top of listing fees, that ads up fast.
then Paypal takes their share too.
I'm with you on this.

I really don't mind paying a fee for the convenience and the audience, but 10% feels extremely greedy. Then losing another 3-4% to PayPal is like salt in the wound.

I agree I should have done my research and seen that the fees were as high as they were. If I had seen those percentages I would have tried to sell the phone somewhere else, either here or on something like swappa. It just pisses me off that I can sell a phone for $50 more than I paid for it and still lose money.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 08:45:54 »
Sold $1300 headphones + shipping on ebay

Got charged something like 4% in paypal fees + 2.5% fee for the currency conversion + 10% final value fees

The final value fees are not charged on shipping but the paypal fees are.

In the end I came out with roughly $1115 on headphones worth $1200-1250 which sold for $1300 on ebay + shipping

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 08:46:52 »
taobao is so much better.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 09:05:41 »
Lol, I just got an invoice as well. It was for something I sold last month through their bidding system. WELL THEN. :(
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 09:10:17 »

Are you sure about that? I have been charged on the full amount whether shipping was "free" or separate.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 09:15:44 »

Are you sure about that? I have been charged on the full amount whether shipping was "free" or separate.

At least in my case it was. EBay fees were $130 while PayPal fees were $55ish (not counting exchange rate fees which hurt even more after)

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 09:20:18 »
FleBay also takes a 10% cut of your shipping charge if you had one. Though that one I can somewhat understand as it basically stopped people from listing an iPhone for $0.99 with a $250 shipping charge. But if you're mailing something like a keyboard that can cost $10-$20, it's just more money out of your pocket.

I've all but stopped selling there, not more than a handful of stuff over the last 5 years. It really became a lousy place after 2008 when they stopped allowing sellers to leave negative or neutral feedback for buyers.

Besides, I have much better luck selling on forums such as this. I don't get as much money, but at least I get a buyer and don't have to worry about filing false buyer protection cases.