Author Topic: Fujitsu FKB4700 (Fujitsu Peerless) review  (Read 9054 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Fujitsu FKB4700 (Fujitsu Peerless) review
« on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 20:43:51 »
Fujitsu FKB4700

The most common keyboard to feature these rubber-dome-with-slider Fujitsu Peerless switches, I've been intrigued by these switches for a while... And lo and behold, I get one for £0.50 xD .

It's one of the most well-built keyboards I've seen so far. Like a Model M, it has a barrel plate and a thick, curved metal backplate (quite heavy), and a thick plastic case, but unlike the Model M it doesn't have those stupid plastic rivets, it has actual screws! The caps, again like the Model M, are snap-on, dye-sublimed PBT caps that have resisted the ridiculous amount of yellowing the case has undergone (it's almost ochre in hue, and the caps even left white spots in their shadows). The caps aren't quite as elegant, though.

The switches are the biggest problem though. The biggest advantage of these clicky switches is that they're not very clicky and thus usable in an open office. They feel a bit like buckling springs, but very rough and stiff, and the stabilised keys, which use guiding rods and aren't mounted centrally, are so dysfunctional that I had to put red stickers on just to see where I had to hit them. They are enough to make the board pretty poor for typing unfortunately, but the normal keys aren't all that uniform either. It's okay for gaming though, because you'll likely not need the stabilised keys (except the spacebar, which has a normal metal horizontal stabiliser bar [except for the fact it's spring-loaded to make it heavier], is extremely well-stabilised). Overall, nah. Sturdy as it may be, the switches are just too rough and heavy for me.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Re: Fujitsu FKB4700 (Fujitsu Peerless) review
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 13:32:48 »
Was looking for some information on this particular keyboard and ran across your fantastic (as always) review.  Definitely the most interesting sliders I've ever seen too!

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 15:45:20 »
Haha yeah, they're pretty funky xD . Glad you enjoyed the video :) .

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 10:27:23 »
Have you made a playlist yet with all of your favorite reviews on it?  I'd love to just sit and watch those on the smart tv--it's almost better than discover channel--you just need some dramatic background music, lol.

Offline electroglyph

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 03:11:42 »
just stumbled upon this thread because i got 2 of these keyboards for free in unopened original boxes.  i was pretty damn stoked at first, but then i saw that everybody hates them :(

mine aren't yellowed at all and also don't exhibit the issue with the stabilized keys at all. i can press on the edges at an angle and they're still smooth.

i have to say...in new condition they're not too bad.  would i swap one for my okayish steelseries?  not sure, but mainly because i don't know if this beast will fit on my 3M keyboard tray, lol

just realized this board is different...mine are 4725s

« Last Edit: Thu, 11 February 2016, 03:17:09 by electroglyph »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 February 2016, 03:29:41 »
I have one of them as well, although not new. It exhibits the same stabiliser issue as the 4700; it binds badly (at least, on mine). It's interesting to note that it's not so bad on new boards, but I maintain it would've been much better if they went for conventional stabilisers instead of cheaping out and opting for a rod stab. Nice find though :) .