Author Topic: Numpad Build  (Read 5432 times)

Offline KitWasHere

Numpad Build
« on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 12:25:21 »
This is just a "gauging interest" thread/post for now.

Recently entered into the mechanical keyboard world when I bought a TKL off Massdrop a few weeks ago (Varmilo VA87M which I'm loving so far). Really like having a smaller footprint on my desk but I miss having a number pad. Not a fan of the double zero key that seems to be on every mechanical number pad so DIY it is. As we all know, it's cheaper to get PCBs made and plates cut in bulk, hence this thread. The plate shouldn't be too much at this size even for a one off so if no ones into it then I'll just handwire and use a Teensy.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/69808972ac25d86c405b01492714d0e4 is the layout I was leaning towards but if this turns into a group buy then I'm open to suggestions.

I'm hoping to use the plate for the switches as the case, just like the "Infinity" keyboard: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8627/massdrop-infinity-a-fully-customizable-60-keyboard

I've never had custom boards or parts made before so any advice on good places to go or help with the design would really be appreciated. If there is interest then help with the components for the board would be great since I don't have much experience with that. I've messed with my arduino for a while but never just the AVR without the IDE. Haven't got into making the PCB yet but I did a quick mock-up in Rhino for the case. I'm happy with the look, probably will have to play with the lengths of the front and back. Right now it sits at about 12 degrees.

Any thoughts?

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
Re: Numpad Build
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 12:28:53 »
If it supports different layouts that would be even better, I personally don't like the case on it that is drawn in the model, only because of the open sides.

Offline KitWasHere

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 12:33:21 »
What layout did you have in mind?

I too would like to have all sides enclosed. I started the design the the folds down the sides instead of the front and back, which seemed to look okay but I'm using more material that way. Having all four sides closed would be best but I think it would be a pain to build it with all sides closed off
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 February 2015, 12:34:58 by KitWasHere »

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 12:41:11 »
What layout did you have in mind?

I too would like to have all sides enclosed. I started the design the the folds down the sides instead of the front and back, which seemed to look okay but I'm using more material that way. Having all four sides closed would be best but I think it would be a pain to build it with all sides closed off
All 1u possibility

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 12:52:09 »
Interesting project! PostingForUpdates :)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 13:10:39 »
If you're just going to go with the layout suggested in the OP then I wouldn't be at all interested. It's the most standard layout there is and you might as well go with the numerous options that already exist.
I'll toss you some layouts later once I get home.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline phishy

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 13:44:28 »
How about this, to compliment 60% boards with no arrow keys also....

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/bfc6649b22fa47749509b1ffe1112826

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 13:59:18 »

Offline KitWasHere

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 15:14:50 »
If people are interested, it's really just down to how many people want what layout. I saw a website "BigBlueSaw" linked on this forum and so it was the first place I looked for price quotes.
http://www.bigbluesaw.com/index.php?option=com_estimator&file=A0A0-A0A0-baseplate-2-motors.dxf&step=20&material=7&thickness=0.25
The above is a sample price quote on aluminum that is way thicker and slightly bigger than what we would use, but has much less machining done to it. Not sure which of those drives the price more but I figured the design I have so far shouldn't cost much more than that. There is a significant price drop from making a one-off, and getting 5+ pieces made (24% per piece compared to just 1-4!)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 15:18:01 »
Couldn't you also just make the original numpad layout with the option to have all 1u keys?
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 16:02:31 »
Couldn't you also just make the original numpad layout with the option to have all 1u keys?
Thats what I was suggesting, support for more than 1 layout.

Offline KitWasHere

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 16:33:29 »
Do you mean a 6x4 grid (+3 keys) or the how it is sans the stabilizer cut outs? Both would require a different layout/cutting pattern. If a PCB ends up happening, that could probably support a couple different layouts though.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 16:34:45 »
Do you mean a 6x4 grid (+3 keys) or the how it is sans the stabilizer cut outs? Both would require a different layout/cutting pattern. If a PCB ends up happening that could probably support a couple different layouts though.
Yeah 6x4

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 17:11:34 »
Looks nice, but you have to angle the two "leg bars" so that they are perpendicular to the desk when it is resting on it. :p
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 February 2015, 19:03:29 by DrHubblePhD »

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 19:02:01 »
you might also consider putting the usb to the left or right.

Offline Adelhyde

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 05:32:18 »
An alternate idea is the 3x5 keypad I envisioned in this post:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52009.msg1165987#msg1165987

This keypad can work as an add-on that you would attach to the side of a 60% board. Its 3x5 key layout allows it to be used for multiple purposes - as a nav cluster, as a function key block, a simplified numpad, etc. If you use a programmable controller it could make the board very versatile, you could do things like joining multiple 3x5 keypads together and setting them up to activate special functions on a point-of-sale keyboard.

Offline KitWasHere

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 21:39:36 »
After looking at the Infinity some more I think I'm going to ditch trying to bend the plate to make the case. Goal of this would be a group buy for a machined plate (keycaps to go with it?) and the case/electronics would be left up the buyer.

I like the idea of all 1u keys and the layout phishy posted. To make the case able to be slimmer, leaving out one of the keys on the top should leave enough room for the Teensy or whatever.
Like this: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/a24a4a1a488392a380b7eada8bb4f8e1.

Quick mock-up of the basic plate (in purple) with switches and basic case:

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 21:44:36 »
I'd recommend using the GHPad PCB - it's open source and we kind of need to give it a kick up the bum because it's been stagnant for quite a while. Would love to see some more interest from people in a 5x4 option, 60% boards need a similarly sized num pad so badly.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline phishy

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 21:49:07 »
I'd recommend using the GHPad PCB - it's open source and we kind of need to give it a kick up the bum because it's been stagnant for quite a while. Would love to see some more interest from people in a 5x4 option, 60% boards need a similarly sized num pad so badly.

Maybe I'll place an order with BBS for a 5X4 plate in something to test it out.  I know nothing about PCB design yet but thats the next step.  I think a 5X4 with arrows would do well as you said paired with 60%s like the pokers and what not.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 21:54:10 »
Are there source files in the thread for it? Because I really want one.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 01:52:27 »
Are there source files in the thread for it? Because I really want one.
I think so. If not I'm sure the creator will share the files, they seem to pop up every now and again so someone is making them.

It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 01:59:50 »

Maybe I'll place an order with BBS for a 5X4 plate in something to test it out.  I know nothing about PCB design yet but thats the next step.  I think a 5X4 with arrows would do well as you said paired with 60%s like the pokers and what not.
Let me know if you feel like pairing up to split the cost, I'm keen to get the same from BBS.

Offline phishy

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 02:05:23 »

Let me know if you feel like pairing up to split the cost, I'm keen to get the same from BBS.

For sure, I imagine just a 5X4 plate will be cheap.  I get my first plate from them on tuesday.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 02:06:54 »

For sure, I imagine just a 5X4 plate will be cheap.  I get my first plate from them on tuesday.
Sweet!

Offline KitWasHere

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 12:06:19 »
Source for the GHpad: https://github.com/regack/4x6
With this amount of switches I wouldn't bother with a PCB though. Handwiring shouldn't be too bad, and I can just get a Teensy clone for ~$5 off ebay.
Seems most are into a 5x4 plate though. Hopefully at least 5 people are up for a 6x4 buy. Did a quick quote for the layout I posted earlier and it's ~$120 for a one off, and ~$25/each for 5 plus. Almost the same price

Offline phishy

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 12:59:45 »
Source for the GHpad: https://github.com/regack/4x6
With this amount of switches I wouldn't bother with a PCB though. Handwiring shouldn't be too bad, and I can just get a Teensy clone for ~$5 off ebay.
Seems most are into a 5x4 plate though. Hopefully at least 5 people are up for a 6x4 buy. Did a quick quote for the layout I posted earlier and it's ~$120 for a one off, and ~$25/each for 5 plus. Almost the same price

Who did you get a quote from?

Offline KitWasHere

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 13:14:08 »

Offline phishy

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 16:38:39 »
was it for the original cad file up top?  or just for a flat plate with the layout you had posted?

Offline KitWasHere

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 18:19:40 »
Just the basic layout posted in purple. Uses the basic square cutouts for the switches too. Attached it to this post

Offline phishy

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 19:57:48 »
Just the basic layout posted in purple. Uses the basic square cutouts for the switches too. Attached it to this post

Something must be off?  Was that including shipping?  What material were you using?  I just got a 66% KB plate cut and a base plate with just 6 screw holes and for a one off the total was like 110 shipped.

Offline KitWasHere

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 21:44:09 »
I was looking at the wrong table ("low-taper water jet machining" which I assume I don't need at this thickness) but the prices are still higher than expected. I don't know if the below links will work so I'll put the prices next to them:

Aluminum 6061 - 0.063"
1-4 = $92.10, 5-9 = $18.42
http://www.bigbluesaw.com/index.php?option=com_estimator&material=7&thickness=0.063&file=C1A3-A6R6-test.dxf&step=20

Stainless Steel T-304 - 0.06"
1-4 = $121.50, 5-9 = $27.22
http://www.bigbluesaw.com/index.php?option=com_estimator&material=3&thickness=0.06&file=C1A3-A6R6-test.dxf&step=20

Hope you're right about something being up with the instant quote thing

Offline phishy

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 06:17:04 »
I was looking at the wrong table ("low-taper water jet machining" which I assume I don't need at this thickness) but the prices are still higher than expected. I don't know if the below links will work so I'll put the prices next to them:

Aluminum 6061 - 0.063"
1-4 = $92.10, 5-9 = $18.42
http://www.bigbluesaw.com/index.php?option=com_estimator&material=7&thickness=0.063&file=C1A3-A6R6-test.dxf&step=20

Stainless Steel T-304 - 0.06"
1-4 = $121.50, 5-9 = $27.22
http://www.bigbluesaw.com/index.php?option=com_estimator&material=3&thickness=0.06&file=C1A3-A6R6-test.dxf&step=20

Hope you're right about something being up with the instant quote thing

okay that seems more like it.  I'm assuming the 1 off price is still a bit high because they have set-up time involved.  But considering you can spend 30 dollars more and get 10 plates instead of 1...it all seems to work out.