Author Topic: Fusion-(60%+numpad)[Development]  (Read 1557 times)

Offline vordep

Fusion-(60%+numpad)[Development]
« on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 07:06:13 »
ive been searching for a layout like  this for a while , and i found the redscarf and the lightsaber, im sure there are others, but i can print the pcb for free on my college, so it will keep the costs down.

This will be the log on the design.

What the keyboard will support.

1-Multiple layouts, probably the same as the gh60, and a few more.
2-Interchangable numpad, just cut the numpad and solder it on the other side. i will probable design 2 pcb one for each side when i have time.
3-individually controlled RGB leds around the bottom of the pcb .

i probably wont do backlight still to be decided.

any sugestions ?
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 February 2015, 15:44:50 by vordep »

Offline vordep

Re: Fusion-(60%+numpad)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 15:32:21 »
would there be any problem if i were to modify the gh60 files to support the layout in mind and compatibility with future bluetooth or backlight modules ?

Offline Moralless

Re: Fusion-(60%+numpad)
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 15:45:58 »
Project sound interesting, curious to see how this turns out:
2-Interchangable numpad, just cut the numpad and solder it on the other side. i will probable design 2 pcb one for each side when i have time.

Here are some things to think about.
What are you going to do in terms of housing? Are you going to design a layered or will it be milled? How will this work with the interchangeable numbpad - are you going to design multiple cases?
Can you expand on the interchangeable numpad. You said that you plan to design 2 numpad pcb to solder either onto the left or right of the main PCB but will the main PCB be able to work by itself? With 2 PCBs connected on either side?

Offline vordep

Re: Fusion-(60%+numpad)[Development]
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 16:31:30 »
What are you going to do in terms of housing? Are you going to design a layered or will it be milled? How will this work with the interchangeable numpad - are you going to design multiple cases?
ive been thinking about that for a while now , and the case will be probably layered at first since its easier and cheaper to build,
the problems i'm having is if i design a case that fits the 60+numpad and i decide to change the numpad to the left the usb wouldn't have a hole to connect, that could corrected in getting a usb extension, but there is probably a better solution.

the numpad will have the possibility to multiples layouts similarthis.

You said that you plan to design 2 numpad pcb to solder either onto the left or right of the main PCB but will the main PCB be able to work by itself?
i said i would design 2 pcbs but since then i figured i don't need to design 2 pcb i can just design  1 and still achieve the same result, the main board will work by it self with with 1 pcb or without one, yet in the schematics i have , that are based on the gh60 , i still have 4 pins unused and this pins could be used to.
1- have another numpad on the keyboard.
2-be compatible with future expansion modules for the g60 such as the wireless or the led modules.

Offline Adelhyde

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 09:38:04 »
Interesting, this is similar to an idea I had for a modular keyboard layout a while back:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52009.msg1165987#msg1165987

This is a 60% board with two 3x5 addons on either side. Because the addon boards are just 3x5 arrays of 1-unit keys, they can be used as lots of different things. You can use one as a nav cluster (with 5 unused keys), as a function key block, as a simplified numpad like what's shown in the picture, etc. This kind of modular system could interest commercial users because of its potential to create application-specific keyboards.

For instance, you could create a keyboard especially for use with 3D modeling software. It would have two sets of nav keys, one to move the camera and the other to move the selected model. You could also create sets of keys with calculation functions for use by accountants or stock traders. With current technology, it's prohibitively expensive to create custom keyboards like this unless you can sell tens of thousands of units, but modular boards would make it a lot more affordable. For the case itself, perhaps you could use the bent sheet metal baseboard+case type model and then come up with a way to join the cases together side by side.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 07:40:35 »
I'm making a similar custom soon, except mine will probably be handwired(no free PCB's for me :( ) and removes Num Lock and tall Enter completely.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/38a87c7f9bdd23de51523f21fed37f6e

Good luck with yours!
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 07:52:32 »
The originality of the proposal is not clear: A programmable sixty keyboard plus a numpad, that are already available, fit the same function?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 08:06:53 »
RedScarfII got the same layout : https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57424.0
Azerty Propagandiste