Author Topic: New player on keycaps market  (Read 4587 times)

Offline VinnyCordeiro

New player on keycaps market
« on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 09:58:18 »
Just browsing on Deskthority today when I saw this guy with an injection molding company who also is a mechanical keyboard user that want to enter the keycaps market. Right now he and his son are designing a keycap family similar to Signature Plastics' SA, called SCM. For those who like these sculpted cylindrical spherical keycaps, it's worth to take a look.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 June 2015, 13:11:33 by VinnyCordeiro »

Offline quake4mhg

Re: New player on keycaps market
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 12:27:19 »
Looks great :D

Offline rsbseb

• -Horned Rabbit-
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 18:10:23 »
That is my project, nothing for sale right now, prototypes should be going out in a few weeks. Thanks for noticing and sharing. While I am active on DT I do lurk around here as well and many of you have contributed to my interest and knowledge with keyboards. I look forward to being a bigger participant in the keyboard community in the upcoming months. Take care.

-Scott

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 18:18:35 »
this could be good!

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 20:09:33 »
Very exciting news. A potential new vendor, and a new profile to boot!

BTW, how does one name a key profile? It just occurred to me that I have no idea what the SP profile names mean.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 20:11:50 »

Very exciting news. A potential new vendor, and a new profile to boot!

BTW, how does one name a key profile? It just occurred to me that I have no idea what the SP profile names mean.
I assume the S means spherical

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 21:13:51 »
That is my project, nothing for sale right now, prototypes should be going out in a few weeks. Thanks for noticing and sharing. While I am active on DT I do lurk around here as well and many of you have contributed to my interest and knowledge with keyboards. I look forward to being a bigger participant in the keyboard community in the upcoming months. Take care.

-Scott

Great to see another SA lover going the full hog and making these babies.  Kudos to you and shall be looking forward to seeing what comes out of your molds in the coming months ahead  :thumb: .

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 00:07:51 »

-Scott

I thought that name sounded familiar!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 02:36:41 »
If you could venture into making buckling springs caps, that would be AMAZING.  I would be willing to bet there would be people trying to throw money at their monitors get get some smexy caps on their M's and F's.  Speaking of which, there is nobody that makes aftermarket F spacebars.  Completely untapped market if you are going full hog.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline rsbseb

• -Horned Rabbit-
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 06:52:12 »
@Melvang  - there is a buckling spring project in the works......

Offline rsbseb

• -Horned Rabbit-
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 23:18:32 »
Oh yea, It's time for this to wake up, SCM is back in development !

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 09:24:55 »
I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Matt3o's Hi-Pro keycap set went up on massdrop the other day. Should be dropping on monday IIRC.

I think the inspiration behind matt3o's was similar to the inspiration behind this set.

Offline rsbseb

• -Horned Rabbit-
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 16:10:12 »
 Matt3o and I developed our respective profiles separately. There may be a few visual similarities but they are completely different projects with different goals. While there was some very minor development discussion between us prior to our independent announcements, they are technically and aesthetically unique and completely independent of one another.

I commend Matt3o for his wok on MT3, he has 2yrs into his project, and it's bound to be a major success for a number of reasons. It is gorgeous! and undoubtedly functional. He has in my opinion set a new standard.

SCM is just now reentering development, and over the next few months there will be some progress reports emanating from DT after a long hibernation. I hope to meet or exceed the standards of quality and design Matt3o continues to offer the keyboard community.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 14:26:16 »
I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Matt3o's Hi-Pro keycap set went up on massdrop the other day. Should be dropping on monday IIRC.

I think the inspiration behind matt3o's was similar to the inspiration behind this set.

INSANE!! "2471" sets purchased! Deezam... Is this a new all-time high??

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 14:58:27 »

They count every child kit as a set so while still a great debut it isn't necessarily mind blowing.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 15:09:55 »

They count every child kit as a set so while still a great debut it isn't necessarily mind blowing.

Well my mind has been BLOWN!!!!!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 15:18:55 »

Why'd you make me go look at those again....now I want to try a set.... :eek:

But it's massdrop so meh...

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 15:38:58 »

Why'd you make me go look at those again....now I want to try a set.... :eek:

But it's massdrop so meh...

Go to the light Ray, go to the light.....the pricepoint is hard to beat too It's about $60 shipped if you don't get any packs, as soon as you get a pack you're near the $100 marker. I'm on the fence myself. I don't know why everyone hates on MD, they did me right twice.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 April 2017, 15:49:58 by digi »