Author Topic: Public Service Announcement - Geekhack Needs Your Donations! $$$$  (Read 109980 times)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: Public Service Announcement - Geekhack Needs Your Donations! $$$$
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 13:06:42 »
Has there been any consideration into a Members area? A lot of forums do this, and you pay a fee to gain access. The only issue I see with "flair" is that there is a lot of people who are not always active. So something that doesn't really benefit them.

Terrible idea. CCs already bring elitist attitudes, let's not add onto it.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 13:19:16 »
Has there been any consideration into a Members area? A lot of forums do this, and you pay a fee to gain access. The only issue I see with "flair" is that there is a lot of people who are not always active. So something that doesn't really benefit them.

Terrible idea. CCs already bring elitist attitudes, let's not add onto it.
+1

Offline fliptrik

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 14:49:38 »
Just signed up for the sub option. I don't know what I'd do when slacking off at work without this site.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 July 2015, 14:09:11 by fliptrik »

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 16:23:57 »
T-Shirts, Coffee Mugs, Keycaps... Open a store.
Geekhack could do well in resale of piece parts, switches, branded materials.

Plenty of ways of monetizing the site adequately to be self sustaining or even mildly profitable.   At some point the hours required to keep the site need to be paid hours rather than simply a labour of love.

Banners ads on the main page would are another revenue source.  I haven't noticed if used.

The process for monetizing a popular web forum is pretty much standard these days.  Hoping for a stable stream of donations is generally not terribly sustainable past the initial request.   The ongoing monthly costs and time will continue.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 18:41:39 »

Hoping for a stable stream of donations is generally not terribly sustainable past the initial request.   The ongoing monthly costs and time will continue.

Ads are an abomination.

That is why DT has a club with members.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 19:12:13 »

Hoping for a stable stream of donations is generally not terribly sustainable past the initial request.   The ongoing monthly costs and time will continue.

Ads are an abomination.

That is why DT has a club with members.

I unabashedly block ads, so no revenue from jerks like me.

The word "monetizing" makes me poop myself in anger, but just a little bit.  Like, I start tensing up, balling my fists, grinding my teeth, and then it just sort of turtles out for a second.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 10:29:27 »

Indeed they are, I hope the offer's still there next month!

Absolutely.

Offline iMav

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 10:33:30 »
I very much dislike ads. GH has never been about making money.  We will have some profile "flair" to recognize those that support the site.  I will also, on occasion, reach out to supporters with some sort of thank you (gift, perhaps...depending on the current financial status).

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 12:03:21 »
I very much dislike ads. GH has never been about making money.  We will have some profile "flair" to recognize those that support the site.  I will also, on occasion, reach out to supporters with some sort of thank you (gift, perhaps...depending on the current financial status).

No need to ask for money then spend that money on giving gifts to people. You definitely shouldn't feel pressured to do gifts.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:58:28 »
Subscription Enabled

Never subscribed to an addiction before.  :p

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 14:07:09 »
Subscription Enabled

Never subscribed to an addiction before.  :p

Great minds think alike. I just did the same.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 15:04:51 »
I like free and I don't like ads.   I hope the voluntary route works for you.   Going into your own pocket on a monthly basis for a website is a bit much unless you can turn it into a tax write off or it looks good on your resume.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 15:09:05 »
Dedicated server costs are as follows:

$240/mo for server
$50/mo for backups

Believe me...we can NOT run on someone's home internet service.  That would be a nightmare.
we regularly saturate our 100Mb/s drop, with an average load of about 20Mb/s and rising.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 16:25:37 »

$240/mo for server
$50/mo for backups

Believe me...we can NOT run on someone's home internet service.  That would be a nightmare.
we regularly saturate our 100Mb/s drop, with an average load of about 20Mb/s and rising.

Talking about bandwidth costs, do we have any idea how much of that is media (uploads/attachments)? The reason I ask is because I headed up a cost analysis for media storage at my place of work and we found that moving our media hosting to Amazon S3 (not EC2) saved us a ton of money. The only catch is that we had to write our own Joomla plugin from scratch to support it (there were some others available but we found them to be garbage). So unless SMF already supports this (natively or through a plugin), it might not be practical.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #114 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 16:27:17 »

$240/mo for server
$50/mo for backups

We also incur around $150 monthly for our AWS infrastructure...which provides support functions, such as email (including anti-spam, anti-virus), some administrative connectivity, etc. 

Can we get some idea of the RAM, CPU, DISK, monthly transfer, and Mbps required? Is a dedicated server really needed? Could this be hosted on a VPS somewhere?
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #115 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 20:03:35 »
Talking about bandwidth costs, do we have any idea how much of that is media (uploads/attachments)?

I am ignorant about this issue, and have complained when simple uploads failed or crashed, such as when I built my guides, but shunting anything but small files over to something like Imgur is not really that cumbersome, if it helped the cause.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #116 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 22:28:33 »
Talking about bandwidth costs, do we have any idea how much of that is media (uploads/attachments)?

I am ignorant about this issue, and have complained when simple uploads failed or crashed, such as when I built my guides, but shunting anything but small files over to something like Imgur is not really that cumbersome, if it helped the cause.

It wouldn't really make a dent unless everyone did it. I'm referring to back-end software that transparently saves user uploads in protected cloud-storage, so that all the GH web server has to worry about serving are the text web pages.

This saves on server storage space, as well as bandwidth, since users download the images/media directly from Amazon's servers.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 23:45:12 »
I have PM'ed iMav a couple times, but he has not responded.  I can probably reduce the infrastructure costs quite a bit.  I work at CloudOps.com and we have a lot of services including cloud.ca.  I have talked to my company and they are willing to offer us a discount.  They said that if we put something like 'infrastructure sponsored by cloud.ca' in our footer or something like that they would give us an even bigger discount.  It should get the infra costs down quite a bit.  Reducing monthly costs would help a lot...

Offline Belfong

« Reply #118 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 00:33:39 »
I already love cloud.ca!
That's a great domain name btw.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 12:29:19 »
as imav said, there is a fixed colo cost. bandwidth is only limited by the size of our drop.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #120 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 13:52:39 »
I have PM'ed iMav a couple times, but he has not responded.  I can probably reduce the infrastructure costs quite a bit.  I work at CloudOps.com and we have a lot of services including cloud.ca.  I have talked to my company and they are willing to offer us a discount.  They said that if we put something like 'infrastructure sponsored by cloud.ca' in our footer or something like that they would give us an even bigger discount.  It should get the infra costs down quite a bit.  Reducing monthly costs would help a lot...

Definitely not this..

Swill's gonna get all first dibs on the clacks..  we must not let Swill steal all the clacks..

^^  that's something to keep in mind for Geekhackers...

Tp4, has not, will not, ever be involved in clacks.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #121 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 13:55:32 »

$240/mo for server
$50/mo for backups

We also incur around $150 monthly for our AWS infrastructure...which provides support functions, such as email (including anti-spam, anti-virus), some administrative connectivity, etc. 

Can we get some idea of the RAM, CPU, DISK, monthly transfer, and Mbps required? Is a dedicated server really needed? Could this be hosted on a VPS somewhere?

My guess.. Geekhack can probably run on a quadcore, given enough ram.. and some SSDs on solid pcie controllers..

the major hardware cost will be those pcie controller cards..

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 14:14:49 »

Definitely not this..

Swill's gonna get all first dibs on the clacks..  we must not let Swill steal all the clacks..

^^  that's something to keep in mind for Geekhackers...

Tp4, has not, will not, ever be involved in clacks.
Haha. Ironically I have spent money on clacks and still don't own any.

Offline iMav

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 05:13:18 »
swill, we are in a 6-month contract currently.  So, we won't be making any additional changes near-term.  (plus, I'd hate to move immediately after getting all spun back up).

A large reason we ran into the issue we did was because our relationship with the datacenter was predicated on a personal favor.  I'd hate to walk in to the same situation and have our continued stability contingent on someone's relationship with their employer.  There are benefits to being a full, paying customer...  :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 08:18:12 »
Just a friendly reminder this is still a thing. Help geekhack stay online :).

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 08:30:56 »
swill, we are in a 6-month contract currently.  So, we won't be making any additional changes near-term.  (plus, I'd hate to move immediately after getting all spun back up).

A large reason we ran into the issue we did was because our relationship with the datacenter was predicated on a personal favor.  I'd hate to walk in to the same situation and have our continued stability contingent on someone's relationship with their employer.  There are benefits to being a full, paying customer...  :)
Thanks for letting me know. If you want to check out the service in 6 months to see if it would be a good fit, I can give you a 30 day trial on the service so you can check it out.

You would be considered a "full paying customer" if we went this route and my relationship with my employer would not factor in. I would basically just broker the discount rate associated with your account and then I would no longer be implicated in the relationship.  It is valuable for our company to support our type of community. Its an added bonus that we are a relatively technical crowd, which is why they would be interested in trading an additional discount for a link in the footer or such.  From their perspective it could lead to other paying customers.  So this would be a standard business deal, I would just be in a position help broker it a little more favorable in our direction.

Everything is self service like amazon, so you would not need to depend on anyone to access your infra.

I am sure the offer will be open if you choose to take us up on it later, so just let me know if anything changes and you are interested. :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 14:09:08 »
Like Geekhack? Cherry? Live in CONUS? Check this out:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=73815.0

Offline Herothereu

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 14:43:36 »

Yeah, I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers with my little diatribe there.  I just thought it would be better to voice that opinion now rather than later.  Strong beer also turns me into a mini-economist.

No feathers ruffled here. I appreciate all the input and discussion.  I think it would be great to see group buys, vendors, etc help support the community.  I'd just rather they do so on their own and not be forced to.

Are vendors other than Cherry starting to pitch in?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 14:59:00 »
So how do I cash in on my @geekhack.org address?

My boards:
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 14:59:40 »
So how do I cash in on my @geekhack.org address?

I paid, then PMed imav and asked for an email address.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 08:52:41 »
How much do I need to donate to get the rights of CPT for a whole month?
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline Raptorsatan

• What's that noise?
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 14:01:17 »
Is there any way to still get a T-shirt? Those look spiffy.
CM Quickfire Mx Blue // Filco MJ1 NKRO 104 Mx Blue

Clakcity Clackity Clackity....

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 14:01:53 »

What do you mean by rights? :eek:

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 14:10:32 »

Do you mean these Cherry shirts?

Offline Raptorsatan

• What's that noise?
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 14:20:24 »

Do you mean these Cherry shirts?

Those are also cool, but I was referring to the wonderful GH Logo ones that LastPilot designed.
CM Quickfire Mx Blue // Filco MJ1 NKRO 104 Mx Blue

Clakcity Clackity Clackity....

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 14:26:56 »
Those are also cool, but I was referring to the wonderful GH Logo ones that LastPilot designed.

I ran the GB for them. I don't have any extras. I might run a new buy with a different logo though.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 23:20:11 »

Owning you...  Mwahahaha /evil
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 23:29:56 »

Owning you...  Mwahahaha /evil

You want the rights to CPT, then.

My boards:
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 08:09:27 »

If you donate a certain amount....say enough for a plane ticket for me and to keep the lights on at Geekhack for 2 months, I would be happy to spend a month with you ;).

Just a reminder that this is an ongoing thing. Paypal just deducted my first monthly donation to Geekhack. Here's to many more :D.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #139 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 18:02:18 »
What's the status of funding?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 07:46:44 »
Sent you a PM iMav about changing the address my GH email forwards to
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 19 August 2015, 08:00:31 »
Sent you a PM iMav about changing the address my GH email forwards to

;)

Offline Herothereu

Offline iMav

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 08:20:24 »
(Reposting)

We had made enough to cover a few months...however, several of the original orderers backed out.  So we still have lots of tshirts and stickers.

As far as reoccurring support is concerned, we have enough reoccurring support to cover about one-fifth to one-fourth of our costs...so that is encouraging.

Offline linuxhermit

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 08:29:58 »
donated via subscription
87UW45FC660C EW

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 13:48:12 »
is there a Donate button i'm not aware of?
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 13:50:17 »

See the bar where "Messages" and "Profile" is? Look over slightly and there's "Donate".

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 13:50:22 »

In the menu bar up at the top (with Home, Watched, Unread, etc).

It leads here: http://geekhack.org/donate.html

:thumb:

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 13:51:54 »

In the menu bar up at the top (with Home, Watched, Unread, etc).

It leads here: http://geekhack.org/donate.html

:thumb:

RIGHT im off to donate then to the Eye Doctor.
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 01 October 2015, 14:08:33 »
I'm a monthly supporter now :thumb: