Author Topic: Windows 10 Update thoughts and questions...  (Read 119150 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Windows 10 Update thoughts and questions...
« Reply #250 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 20:58:47 »
Rude awakening is such an apt word. I believe many people will be in shock next year!

This is going to hit a lot of people.

I imagine Microsoft started the subscription model to try to tempt people in with apparently lower prices.

But when people realise they will have to pay this amount year after year, it will soon add up.

Businesses too - we have a mix of Office 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013.  I can't really see boss fella agreeing to pay $70 (that's US$70?  Which would be closer to AUD$95) per year per user.  And we are only a small company.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #251 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 21:26:55 »

But when people realise they will have to pay this amount year after year, it will soon add up.

I hate subscription stuff, but if JaccoW is right and it is $70 for 5 seats, that is a lot more palatable.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #252 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 22:32:43 »

I hate subscription stuff, but if JaccoW is right and it is $70 for 5 seats, that is a lot more palatable.

I don't care if it's $1 for 10000 seats..

They should be PAYING ME...   for my Immense verbosity...

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #253 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 23:44:21 »
Recently, one of my rigs was prompted to upgrade to Win10 Pro, so I went ahead with it. It's my goto rig - FX8350/2x HD7950/16GB RAM/64bit Win7 Pro - I must say, things went ahead quite smoothly though I had to download twice as the first one was corrupted in some way. I rather like the interface, didn't even have to install any drivers as my GPU's was on the latest Win10 Cat driver then, my Xonar worked right off the bat....heck, just about everything worked after the reboot. Right clicking on the 'Start' brings up the old tab for Task Manager, Control Panel and such.....so glad MS opted for this, so tired of not intuitively having to move cursor to bottom right of my Win8.1 rig to get to the Shut Down tab. Only one minor niggle, my Tt Level 10M mouse doesn't light up when my rig is powered on. I may have to reinstall the driver.....

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #254 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 00:08:48 »
Who the **** upgrades office? If it wasn't for my dad accidentally buying a family pack of Office 2010 I'd still be on Office '03 lmao
People who actually use it. :P

Each and every Office version offered some definite improvements over its predecessor. I'd hate to think of still having to use office 2003. My studies and the sort of work I do require me to write reports and use programs like Excel, PowerPoint and Visio. We are not all programmers here who can just plemp down code all day. XP

I'm not a programmer lol and I use word and execell everyday at work, but having 2010 instead of 2003 dosnt make much difference

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #255 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 02:34:01 »
Came in this morning to my PC on for me already.

I have no idea what is causing this.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #256 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 02:36:38 »
Google it mate, I there was a line I could enter into cmd that would tell me what was causing my PC to boot, might help resolve your issue with it rebooting too. I'm guessing some driver is having a breakdown and constantly updating it's self

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #257 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 02:39:03 »
Recently, one of my rigs was prompted to upgrade to Win10 Pro, so I went ahead with it. It's my goto rig - FX8350/2x HD7950/16GB RAM/64bit Win7 Pro - I must say, things went ahead quite smoothly though I had to download twice as the first one was corrupted in some way. I rather like the interface, didn't even have to install any drivers as my GPU's was on the latest Win10 Cat driver then, my Xonar worked right off the bat....heck, just about everything worked after the reboot. Right clicking on the 'Start' brings up the old tab for Task Manager, Control Panel and such.....so glad MS opted for this, so tired of not intuitively having to move cursor to bottom right of my Win8.1 rig to get to the Shut Down tab. Only one minor niggle, my Tt Level 10M mouse doesn't light up when my rig is powered on. I may have to reinstall the driver.....

Psssssh... Gotta get on the INTEL friend...

the 4790 series is on sale, along with z97... some good deals acomin'

and trust me, the broadwell and skylake are NOT FASTER ...

They're also more dangerous to Delid..  which is a serious problem for overclocking, because ALL these cpus need to be delidded.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #258 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 06:31:52 »

You need to run cmd as an admin and use powercfg -energy to get an energy report.  Here's how it worked in W7 (and 8.1).  I assume it works the same way in W10.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #259 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 06:32:34 »

You need to run cmd as an admin and use powercfg -energy to get an energy report.  Here's how it worked in W7 (and 8.1).  I assume it works the same way in W10.

thats what I used in win10

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #260 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 07:25:21 »

WTF do I make of all this

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #261 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 07:32:07 »

WTF do I make of all this

m8
r+winkey
type 'cmd'
then type 'powercfg -energy'
press enter

then post what it says

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #262 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 07:33:26 »
Ooook, this is a ctrl-A of the output.

More
Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report

Computer Name EL-SALVADOR
Scan Time 2015-08-17T12:21:15Z
Scan Duration 60 seconds 
System Manufacturer MSI
System Product Name MS-7930
BIOS Date 04/28/2014
BIOS Version V1.0
OS Build 10240
Platform Role PlatformRoleDesktop
Plugged In true
Process Count 115
Thread Count 2116
Report GUID {d2f4631e-5036-4f8a-937a-92ee617eba94} 

Analysis Results

Errors

Power Policy:Display timeout disabled (Plugged In)

The display is not configured to turn off after a period of inactivity.

Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (Plugged In)

The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity.

System Availability Requests:System Required Request

The program has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.

Requesting Process \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe

System Availability Requests:Display Required Request

The program has made a request to prevent the display from automatically entering a low-power mode.

Requesting Process \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe

The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.

Requesting Driver Instance USB\VID_08BB&PID_2706&MI_00\6&43de81c&0&0000
Requesting Driver Device USB Audio Device

A kernel component has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend

This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.

Device Name USB Input Device
Host Controller ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CB1
Host Controller Location PCI bus 0, device 20, function 0
Device ID USB\VID_0738&PID_1705
Port Path 2

This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Suspend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping.

Device Name USB Composite Device
Device ID USB\VID_04B4&PID_1001
Port Path 10

Device Name USB Composite Device
Device ID USB\VID_08BB&PID_2706
Port Path 9

CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high

The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.

Average Utilization (%) 23.18

Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled

PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

Warnings

Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution

The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.

Current Timer Resolution (100ns units) 10009
Maximum Timer Period (100ns units) 156250

Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Kernel Timer Request

A kernel component or device driver has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.

Requested Period 10000
Request Count 1

Platform Timer Resolution:Outstanding Timer Request

A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.

Requested Period 50000
Requesting Process ID 5904
Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe

A program or service has requested a timer resolution smaller than the platform maximum timer resolution.

Requested Period 10000
Requesting Process ID 220
Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\UplayWebCore.exe

Requested Period 10000
Requesting Process ID 10440
Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\Uplay.exe

CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.

This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.

Process Name vlc.exe
PID 5904
Average Utilization (%) 3.89
 Module   Average Module Utilization (%) 
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\plugins\audio_filter\libsamplerate_plugin.dll 1.92
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\plugins\codec\libavcodec_plugin.dll 0.45
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.28

This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.

Process Name MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe
PID 5756
Average Utilization (%) 2.17
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\Chakra.dll 1.22
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\edgehtml.dll 0.27
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx 0.20

Process Name CCC.exe
PID 6536
Average Utilization (%) 1.88
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll 0.95
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.32
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\msvcr120_clr0400.dll 0.30

Process Name Steam.exe
PID 5344
Average Utilization (%) 1.48
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.36
\SystemRoot\System32\win32kfull.sys 0.31
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Steam\bin\vgui2_s.dll 0.25

Process Name dwm.exe
PID 796
Average Utilization (%) 1.30
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\dwmcore.dll 0.30
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.29
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.16

PID 9724
Average Utilization (%) 1.17
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\Chakra.dll 0.43
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx 0.19
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\edgehtml.dll 0.18

Process Name csrss.exe
PID 660
Average Utilization (%) 0.62
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmdag.sys 0.22
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.20
\SystemRoot\System32\win32kfull.sys 0.12

PID 2320
Average Utilization (%) 0.62
\Windows\System32\Chakra.dll 0.24
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.10
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll 0.07

PID 7284
Average Utilization (%) 0.61
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\edgehtml.dll 0.24
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\Chakra.dll 0.05

Process Name explorer.exe
PID 4396
Average Utilization (%) 0.47
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.21
\SystemRoot\System32\win32kfull.sys 0.05
\SystemRoot\System32\win32kbase.sys 0.04

Process Name audiodg.exe
PID 9980
Average Utilization (%) 0.43
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.14
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\USBXHCI.SYS 0.09
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\AudioEng.dll 0.03

Process Name Skype.exe
PID 5912
Average Utilization (%) 0.40
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.11
\SystemRoot\System32\win32kfull.sys 0.09
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe 0.06

Process Name DisplayFusion.exe
PID 5272
Average Utilization (%) 0.38
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll 0.14
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_64\mscorlib\dfd75630ade67ae60abbed1c6429af70\mscorlib.ni.dll 0.09
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.04

Process Name Uplay.exe
PID 10440
Average Utilization (%) 0.37
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.16
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll 0.05
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\XAudio2_7.dll 0.02

Process Name chrome.exe
PID 8096
Average Utilization (%) 0.34
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\44.0.2403.155\chrome.dll 0.25
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll 0.06
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.01

Process Name System
PID 4
Average Utilization (%) 0.33
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.17
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmdag.sys 0.08
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgmms2.sys 0.04

Process Name explorer.exe
PID 7900
Average Utilization (%) 0.28
\SystemRoot\System32\win32kfull.sys 0.04
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.02

Process Name svchost.exe
PID 2376
Average Utilization (%) 0.25
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.16
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\diagtrack.dll 0.03
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll 0.03

Process Name MicrosoftEdge.exe
PID 5088
Average Utilization (%) 0.24
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll 0.07
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.05
\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll 0.03

Information

Platform Timer Resolution:Timer Request Stack

The stack of modules responsible for the lowest platform timer setting in this process.

Requested Period 50000
Requesting Process ID 5904
Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe
 Calling Module Stack  \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
 \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll
 \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\libvlccore.dll

The stack of modules responsible for the lowest platform timer setting in this process.

Requested Period 10000
Requesting Process ID 220
Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\UplayWebCore.exe
 \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\libcef.dll
 \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

Requested Period 10000
Requesting Process ID 10440
Requesting Process Path \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\Uplay.exe
 \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\XAudio2_7.dll
 \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\Uplay.exe.old
 \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

Power Policy:Active Power Plan

The current power plan in use

Plan Name  OEM Balanced 
Plan GUID {381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}

Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (Plugged In)

The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.

Personality Balanced 

Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)

The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.

Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)

Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.

Quality Mode Optimize for Video Quality 

Battery:Analysis Success

Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States

Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.

S1 Sleep Supported false
S2 Sleep Supported false
S3 Sleep Supported true
S4 Sleep Supported true

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Connected Standby Support

Connected standby allows the computer to enter a low-power mode in which it is always on and connected. If supported, connected standby is used instead of system sleep states.

Connected Standby Supported false

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilities

Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.

Group 0
Index 0
Idle State Count 2
Idle State Type ACPI Idle (C) States
Nominal Frequency (MHz) 3401
Maximum Performance Percentage 100
Lowest Performance Percentage 23
Lowest Throttle Percentage 23
Performance Controls Type ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.

Group 0
Index 1
Idle State Count 2

Group 0
Index 2
Idle State Count 2

Group 0
Index 3
Idle State Count 2

Device Drivers:Analysis Success

Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #263 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 07:38:24 »
Well I've no idea lmao

though have you tried powering off your rig and unplugging ur usb ****?

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #264 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 07:43:10 »
Well I've no idea lmao

Yeah, nor me. I only have keyboard, mouse and DAC plugged in via USB :(

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #265 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 07:51:43 »
Well I've no idea lmao

Yeah, nor me. I only have keyboard, mouse and DAC plugged in via USB :(

does the dac have/need drivers?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #266 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 08:04:59 »
It's saying that there are several USB devices and the sound card that are bouncing it out of sleep. I would update your chipset drivers (for USB issues) and sound drivers. Restart your computer after each one. If that doesn't work I would unplug DAC overnight and see what that does.
I'm back.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #267 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 08:13:39 »
Could be that your soundcard is an "unauthorised hardware peripheral device": http://www.gsmarena.com/microsoft_can_legally_prevent_you_from_using_counterfeit_games_on_windows_10-blog-13584.php

And in case any gamers are considering installing this "spyware" OS, read that little article.

So, that DRM-free version of the game you paid for that you run rather than the original, because it actually lets you play without throwing a hissy fit because the authentication server is down or some other bull**** reason, unlike the "genuine" version... Sorry... You're just going to have to live with that over-the-top intrusive DRM.

No thank you. When the OS starts telling me what hardware and software I can or can't install or use on my system, it's too much.

No more homebrew Teensy-based gadgets for you, son. Like, you know, KEYBOARDS and stuff....

Sticking with Win7 thanks.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #268 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 08:57:11 »

No. It's some mini crowd-designed thing I bought off mkawa a while ago.

Surely it's not sleep when you turn it off? Why class turning your PC off as sleep? That's stupid.

I've updated all my mobo drivers since I updated, and the audio and usb drivers twice because MSI audio drivers SUCK.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #269 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 09:10:09 »

No. It's some mini crowd-designed thing I bought off mkawa a while ago.

Surely it's not sleep when you turn it off? Why class turning your PC off as sleep? That's stupid.

I've updated all my mobo drivers since I updated, and the audio and usb drivers twice because MSI audio drivers SUCK.

Ok a few more things:
*Hold down shift while you click "Shut Down" - on Connected Standby machines this puts it in a deeper sleep state
*Quit Skype before you shut down your computer - it may think it is on connected standby hardware and be trying to wake to check messages
*If all else fails I guess just complain to MS & MSI about it, hopefully you're not the only one experiencing this and a fix will come out at some point :shrug:
I'm back.

Offline dante

« Reply #270 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 09:12:34 »
I wish Microsoft would buy Cathode and integrate it as the standard command line.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #271 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 09:13:51 »
tbf my sound drivers stop me from using sleep mode

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #272 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 09:15:53 »
Well that's all a load of bollocks.

But thanks for the tips/advice. I will try them all.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #273 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 10:17:01 »
W10 has been an effortless upgrade but a painful experience.  I do not like the era of freeware, for profit, OS.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #274 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 10:20:02 »
tbh the only issue i've had has been the sleep mode thing, but it seems to be a common enough issue that it will be fixed with driver updates and what not.

Nothing else has really been an issue

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #275 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 16:25:45 »
Two things typically will cause it to come back on...
Connected standby and Windows update.

Connected standby is the bane of tablet users, basically the machine doesn't sleep, it's still running, at least enough to check email and perform updates (it's killed a few tablets this way, destroying the batteries by running them to zero). Unless you actually shut the computer completely off, it's still running. You can disable connected standby with a registry tweak.

Windows update, not so much, the only way to really kill it is to kill the service.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #276 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 17:23:09 »
Unless you actually shut the computer completely off, it's still running.

Because I am a crusty old curmudgeon, I am a big believer in shutting everything down cold, for example: every night, and I even turn off the power strip so that all my gear is entirely off the grid while I am asleep.

In the old days, when certain downloads and/or uploads took hours, I would turn off the monitor and go to bed, but now that is not the case.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #277 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 19:38:00 »
Two things typically will cause it to come back on...
Connected standby and Windows update.

Connected standby is the bane of tablet users, basically the machine doesn't sleep, it's still running, at least enough to check email and perform updates (it's killed a few tablets this way, destroying the batteries by running them to zero). Unless you actually shut the computer completely off, it's still running. You can disable connected standby with a registry tweak.

Windows update, not so much, the only way to really kill it is to kill the service.

I've done the registry tweak, and unfortunately it wreaked havoc on my Helix Gen 2's power settings. 

What you're talking about is called Hybrid Shutdown.  It's part of MS's fast startup initiative for tablet users.  It can be disabled through the power settings by disabling "Fast Startup".  This is safer than the 'disable connected standby' registry tweak, as it doesn't mess with the sleep state settings of the device.  However, I didn't do it because sometimes I like that during the day (going from meeting to meeting, for example).

So I either hold shift while clicking shutdown, which bypasses Hybrid Shutdown and Hybrid boot, or I use cmd with this:
Code: [Select]
shutdown.exe /s /f /t 00That basically does the same thing.

Avoiding hybrid shutdown/boot is why I told the guy above to hold down shift when he clicks shut down.  Hopefully that works for him.
I'm back.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #278 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 00:42:55 »
I will try it on my Laptop first and test it for a while before I ruin my desktop system.

Never change a running system....

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #279 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 03:52:00 »
I will try it on my Laptop first and test it for a while before I ruin my desktop system.

Never change a running system....

Better stay with W7 and/or W8.1 Pro BUT do not go into the darkness of 10, you will regret it a year later  :)) .

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #280 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 12:32:44 »
I had an awful time getting the update to complete successfully on my desktop. Apparently there are some real problems with pci-e ssd and x79 system combination. After a long convoluted process of cloning to a standard sata disk, completing the update, then cloning back I'm finally there.
Besides the issues with the privacy concerns, I also feel like they have taken some huge steps backwards, or in wrong directions with the UI again. I realize some people refused to adapt to the full screen start, and 'modern' apps which is fine... but I was a huge fan of that actually and they have made it so much worse in 10. Now even in the full screen start, they ruined the best part of that with the all programs now being stuck into a narrow column and with nested folders and **** which was just the wrong way to do it. No clue why they couldn't have left that alone and carried it over 100% from 8.1. I didn't like the new default theme, though at least that wasn't too much bother to get sorted. I notice they still haven't managed to take the incentive to fix all the icons and get those all consistent everywhere, still spotting some that look like they came from '98, XP, Vista... Modern apps being windowed, which I thought would be a feature I would welcome... they just feel out of place and wrong instead to me.

I do like how much leaner the OS feels, and it went from 45% used space, to 17% used space with all my same programs and personal files which is a pretty amazing improvement. Some of the other under the hood stuff is clearly improvement. I do like being able to use the standard keyboard shortcuts finally natively in command line. DX12 looks like it might be a real huge improvement, but I guess we will have to wait and see how it pans out for awhile for games to catch up and start releasing on that.
For now, I am not sure if going back to 8.1 or spending time and effort on additional customzing and 3rd party stuff to get it how I like it again is more worthwhile. I'm just glad I also took the time to make a disk image of my 8.1 install just in case.

TLDR... updating to Windows 10 for me may have been more trouble than it was worth, for an essentially uncompelling OS version.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #281 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 14:44:29 »

it went from 45% used space, to 17% used space with all my same programs and personal files which is a pretty amazing improvement.

for an essentially uncompelling OS version.

You speak with forked tongue, kemo sabe.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #282 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 16:24:14 »
I feel for salaried I.T. managers right now.
I just spent the evening installing new printers in an office full of 8.1 and installed several new Win10 notebooks. What should have been a couple hours turned into a 10 hour debacle.

MS is going to have to change some of their policies and/or get this thing right soon, or there will be hell to pay. I like Win10, but when it has a problem and decides to fight you, it really fights you. The primary problem being the forced updates. I guarantee you as soon as it stabilizes, a LOT of offices are simply going to just shut down updates entirely. That's my plan for the 300+ systems I maintain.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #283 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 17:29:41 »
In my house are several Windows 7/8 machines, working properly, with no particular compulsion to move up, except for my daughter's Vista (factory-installed Dell Inspirion 1545) laptop.

I have 4GB of RAM to install, along with a moderate SSD, so I think that the (dual core) hardware will be adequate. I have a valid Windows 7 product key so I want to download the Windows 10 ISO and do a clean install.

Is there any reason not to do this, and/or any pitfalls that I need to watch out for?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #284 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 18:10:11 »
In my house are several Windows 7/8 machines, working properly, with no particular compulsion to move up, except for my daughter's Vista (factory-installed Dell Inspirion 1545) laptop.

I have 4GB of RAM to install, along with a moderate SSD, so I think that the (dual core) hardware will be adequate. I have a valid Windows 7 product key so I want to download the Windows 10 ISO and do a clean install.

Is there any reason not to do this, and/or any pitfalls that I need to watch out for?

Good fathers don't let children use Vista..  tsk tsk tsk....

LOLOL.. what is  a  MODERATE  SSD... 

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #285 on: Thu, 20 August 2015, 19:08:38 »

As long as you opt out of all of microsoft's "enhancements" then you've got nothing to worry about.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #286 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 04:40:38 »

As long as you opt out of all of microsoft's "enhancements" then you've got nothing to worry about.

And in order to that properly you need to do these steps: https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/comments/3fhy27/how_do_disable_all_privacy_leaks_in_windows_10/

But I'd rather just upgrade it to 7 and stick with that. I'm sure there will be some teething troubles (and new security holes) with 10 as there always are with a new OS.

Some issues that have come up so far: http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/08/windows-10-early-problems/

And people are having trouble with audio cards. Either no audio present at all or driver issues or the system waking up due to something happening with the audio drivers under the hood.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #287 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 04:43:09 »
Yeah I've had my system wake up due to my on-board audio... but I beta tested Vista so it's all good ^-^

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #288 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 04:55:06 »
But I'd rather just upgrade it to 7 and stick with that. I'm sure there will be some teething troubles (and new security holes) with 10 as there always are with a new OS.

Best stay with Win 7 Ultimate, simply perfect compared to Redmond's current abortion, best to leave this worst example of perpetual spying on the scrap heap where it belongs  :thumb: .

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #289 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 09:05:59 »
Just chiming in on the privacf issue. Can I just say that I never opt out of those things, and I don't use Ad blockers, and I often see ads that are actually something that interests me. It's a lot less annoying than un-targeted ads, and even less annoying than having to deal with sites with broken layouts and updating block lists, etc.

As far as spying, I guess I just really don't think that's happening. MS doesn't have the resources to drill down into a single person's data. Besides, "big data" is only useful for large-scale aggregations.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #290 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 10:00:30 »
Yeah I've had my system wake up due to my on-board audio... but I beta tested Vista so it's all good ^-^

Ahhhh, ok. Well I've unplugged everything from my on-board audio ports now, everything just plugs in via USB through the DAC instead.

Offline godly_music

« Reply #291 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 10:14:18 »
Never. No matter how stable they make it, it's still a privacy nightmare. Yes, Google & Co have been doing it for a long time, bu we're talking about an operating system here. That thing is supposed to work for you! I don't have time to un-**** all the things that they ****ed. I even heard that some updates reset privacy settings back to default which is worse.

DX12 is the only selling point and it's not even their invention. If AMD hadn't pressured everyone to step up their game, W10 would have nothing good in it at all. I recommend everyone sit on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. Enjoy being the king of your castle for as long as you still can.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #292 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 10:32:56 »
Something went wrong!

I couldn't upgrade even if I wanted too :))

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #293 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 01:36:38 »
Never. No matter how stable they make it, it's still a privacy nightmare. Yes, Google & Co have been doing it for a long time, bu we're talking about an operating system here. That thing is supposed to work for you! I don't have time to un-**** all the things that they ****ed. I even heard that some updates reset privacy settings back to default which is worse.
It's no worse than using Chrome or Facebook.

Updates have not changed privacy settings as of 3 days ago when I disabled them, however, the first time you shift the default web browser to something other than Edge it does reset some of them.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline godly_music

« Reply #294 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 06:14:14 »

Precisely! ;)

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #295 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 08:47:32 »

Updates have not changed privacy settings as of 3 days ago when I disabled them, however, the first time you shift the default web browser to something other than Edge it does reset some of them.

Seriously, if people realized how much data Facebook gathers on them through their ubiquitous "like" buttons on nearly every website, they would be amazed. That said, I still don't think it's anything to worry about. Those companies are interested in large-scale, aggregated statistics, not individual behavior.

People are worried MS is like, "Nick here spends a lot of time on keyboard websites so let's show him keyboard ads." When really it's more like, "our client, Vandelay Industries, sells keyboards. So let's target their ad to people who regularly visit geekhack.org, deskthority.net, and mechanicalkeyboards.com." It's very anonymous and advertiser-based, not user-based.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
Windows 10 Update thoughts and questions...
« Reply #296 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 09:11:36 »

Seriously, if people realized how much data Facebook gathers on them through their ubiquitous "like" buttons on nearly every website, they would be amazed. That said, I still don't think it's anything to worry about. Those companies are interested in large-scale, aggregated statistics, not individual behavior.

People are worried MS is like, "Nick here spends a lot of time on keyboard websites so let's show him keyboard ads." When really it's more like, "our client, Vandelay Industries, sells keyboards. So let's target their ad to people who regularly visit geekhack.org, deskthority.net, and mechanicalkeyboards.com." It's very anonymous and advertiser-based, not user-based.

Art Vandelay, the importer-exporter?

And W10 is not the first OS to have this built in; that would be Android.
I'm back.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #297 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 09:29:15 »

He's also an architect, and a marine biologist.

My boards:
More

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #298 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 10:17:20 »

He's also an architect, and a marine biologist.

And always admired the city planners.
I'm back.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #299 on: Sat, 22 August 2015, 11:45:03 »

Precisely! ;)

Facebook WISHES they could get the kind of data MS already collects, let alone what they can get from Win10 users now...

MS has MASSES of data from all their users. They hand off "anonymised" batches of it to other companies to process for them, doing natural language processing, etc. And yes, they can drill sown to a single person's data. They make sure the links exist. Without that the data is FAR less valuable to them.

It's getting to the point where it's VERY hard to keep your online privacy and more and more people are giving up and buying in. But just going along with it and say it's not so bad because others are doing the same doesn't make it anywhere closer to being acceptable behaviour.

Just for reference, I use a rooted custom Android ROM, I don't use Facebook, Chrome, etc. Any service or software I do install or use is checked very carefully for what it collects, uses, sends, etc. It's starting to get pretty restrictive, but I'm doing alright.

But even if you do use services that collect stuff, you've still got to draw the line somewhere. For most, the OS level should be that line. It controls and has access to everything you do, store and use on your system.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.