Author Topic: Silencing Rings for Topre-Switch Keyboards  (Read 66826 times)

Offline tofgerl

Re: Silencing Rings for Topre-Switch Keyboards
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 10:23:38 »
Why are these so much more expensive than the MX ones? Not enough demand?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 10:50:38 »
Why are these so much more expensive than the MX ones? Not enough demand?

There is no MX equivalent of these.

On MX switches you use rubber o-rings to cushion the key-press, but these pads are made to go inside a Topre switch to cushion the sliders on the way back up.  They are bigger (a standard o-ring would probably fit inside them) and custom made in small batches so the price is much higher.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 10:51:58 »
They're tiny rubber rings. Whether they cushion the upwards journey of the cap, or the downward journey, there _is_ an MX equivalent of these. Don't be pedantic.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 15:47:14 »
The Silencing Rings are not made of rubber and they are flat rather than donut-shaped. They have a two-ply design consisting of a resilient microcellular polymer foam bonded to a firm backing layer. They are considerably thinner than the O-rings used to cushion the down-stroke of Cherry mx switches. The Silencing Rings are designed to be used only inside Topre switches (and not on the keycap stem) to damp the sound of the return-stroke. The materials used to make the Topre-switch Silencing Rings are more expensive than the synthetic rubber used to make mx O-rings, and the fabrication and cutting methods are more expensive as well. The Topre-switch Silencing Rings are also designed to have no noticeable effect on key travel or the feel of the Topre switch.

If there is a Cherry mx equivalent, I would be interested in learning about it. The closest thing I have seen first-hand is the Matias "Quiet Click" switch, which uses rubber inserts inside the switch to damp both the down-stroke and the return-stroke.

I think that the down-stroke damping in the Matias Quiet Click switch might be similar to the "trampoline mod" for Cherry mx switches:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50632.0

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 20:07:33 »
They're tiny rubber rings. Whether they cushion the upwards journey of the cap, or the downward journey, there _is_ an MX equivalent of these. Don't be pedantic.

Okay, I'll bite: could you please post a pic and/or a link to the MX equivalent that you are talking about?

Topre REALFORCE

Offline andCoffee

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 01:39:30 »
I have a Novatouch with SA Retro and was curious if these help with the rattle I get just from running my fingers across the keys without actuating them? That stem rattle from just resting my hands on the keys is the only bad part about the keyboard.

Thanks.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 12:21:28 »
I have a Novatouch with SA Retro and was curious if these help with the rattle I get just from running my fingers across the keys without actuating them? That stem rattle from just resting my hands on the keys is the only bad part about the keyboard.

Thanks.
My Novatouch currently has Ducky PBT OEM profile keycaps and internal silencing rings, and the keys do not rattle. However, I have not yet tried SA profile keycaps on the Novatouch or any other keyboard.

Offline andCoffee

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 15:09:55 »
I installed the rings yesterday and they've made a fantastic difference on my NovaTouch.  It really is night and day.  I wasn't expecting anything this dramatic at all.  I do wish the kit with enough rings for a Novatouch came with the materials to silence the spacebar, though. 

I read the tutorial about putting mat under the spacebar, but I'm a bit confused on where that should actually go, and what product to buy.  Does anyone have an amazon link for what I should be ordering, and maybe a photo of how it should be installed?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 18:58:17 »
I've found that the spacebar sounds are highly dependent on the specific spacebar that one uses. I've had the best results on the Novatouch with the white (cream) spacebar from the Ducky cream and green PBT set in OEM profile.

Regarding pads under the spacebar, here is a pic of a HHKB Pro 2 with the spacebar removed:

114787-0

Notice the two circular black pads on each side of the spacebar switch. This is where I put extra pieces of self-adhesive rubber foam (the same sort of material that is used for anti-skid pads on the bottom of keyboard cases). However, on the Novatouch, you would need to use thicker foam or several layers of the ~1 mm foam, because the Novatouch does not already have the pads like those on the HHKB Pro 2.

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 01:04:09 »
FWIW, all I had to do to get my Novatouch's spacebar sounding great was to lube it. I did it when I had the board apart while i was installing the rings. gpl 205 alone. i didn't even touch the center stem: just the stabilizers's stems and i did not clean off the lube that was already there. this was just as night and day as the silencing rings.

you can now buy very small tubes of krytox on amazon (the smallest one is smaller than a travel tube of toothpaste and would probably be sufficient for every key on 50 keyboards).

Topre REALFORCE

Offline andCoffee

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:12:06 »
Thanks guys.  If I can get this spacebar to sound like the rest of the keys, these rings turned my NT into an endgame board for me.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 19:19:27 »
Just as a note I'll be opening my offer for this december for Canadians.

I also got a few of the rings from a really awesome guy :3

Going to test them out this weekend

Offline exela

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 11:15:42 »
Just ordered a set to use with the fc660c.  I'll post back with my results.

I've done the silent landing pad mod with my novatouch and I really do appreciate the sound it now has.  The amount of time needed to iron pads and making sure they fit just right on the sliders was the most time consuming and annoying part of the mod.  But in the end, the thock was worth it.  There's just something with that thock.

Is it me or are the rubber domes in the dye-sub fc660c have a little more resistance/oomph when compared to the Novatouch?

Offline dutC4

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:43:38 »
 :blank:
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 December 2016, 15:29:15 by dutC4 »

Offline andCoffee

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 18:26:30 »
I tried using a couple types of foam and felt to silence the spacebar, but I had a hard time removing the sound without reducing the travel too much.  Gonna have to hope the lube works.

Offline exela

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 23:04:19 »
Just ordered a set to use with the fc660c.  I'll post back with my results.

I've done the silent landing pad mod with my novatouch and I really do appreciate the sound it now has.  The amount of time needed to iron pads and making sure they fit just right on the sliders was the most time consuming and annoying part of the mod.  But in the end, the thock was worth it.  There's just something with that thock.

Is it me or are the rubber domes in the dye-sub fc660c have a little more resistance/oomph when compared to the Novatouch?
yes, definitely more force than either of my novatouches and many others have noticed as well

also, I love the results on my fc660c I just wish I ordered enough to try and hack some more onto the stabilized keys. If you strike stabilized keys anywhere near the edges it's almost as loud as before and really loud in contrast with how silent the rest of the keys are after you do this mod.

Definitely, I appreciate the feedback a lot more on the leopold than the novatouch.  It makes me almost want to harvest the sliders and put it on the leopold.  But that'll be much further down the line.  Right now I'm definitely enjoying the white leo :D

As for the sounds on the stabilized keys, if that's the case, I might just look into using ironed down silencing pads for the stabilized keys instead.  I still have some extras lying around.  I'm curious if using a 3x1 strip might do the trick and cutting it down to size.

Anyone have any tips for opening up the leo or should it be as straightforward as the novatouch?

Offline exela

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 23:12:19 »
the silencing rings came in and i have finally installed them.

In terms of sound, they are definitely dampened.  They sound very similar to using the ironed-down landing pads.  I actually used landing pads on the stabilizer keys in order to cover a little more surface area.  I still get a return clack when using the backspace but that's simply because the key is so large.  For the most part, the sound is consistent.

The price while a little higher is well worth not having to spend the amount of time needed to iron down landing pads and fiddling around the sliders to make sure they fit.  Great job on these rings!  Long live the thock!

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 17:50:45 »
Good to know that the rings seem to be working out well on a variety of Topre-switch keyboards.

Regarding opening cases, by far the easiest ones are the HHKB Pro 2 and the RF87U. In contrast, it seems that CM doesn't want people to open the case on a Novatouch. This makes me appreciate the HHKB and RF boards all the more -- no hidden screws, no seals to break, no violation of warranty just by opening the case.

Just remember -- on the RF87U, don't install a silencing ring on the Left Ctrl (far left key on the bottom row). This switch is designed differently from any other on the board. A silencing ring won't work properly on just this one key; furthermore, it will cause the key to jam.

Offline chigro

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 13:26:37 »
I'm another happy NovaTouch + Hypersphere silencing ring user :)

For disassembly, I followed this guide: http://imgur.com/gallery/iGzCV

I also lubed the stabilizers using this: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/permatex-ultra-slick-multi-purpose-synthetic-grease-85-g-0280813p.html Canadian friendly :)

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 21:54:47 »
Hmm, haven't left my 2 cents on these. I got some Hypersphere rings after buying a Digilog/45g Realforce from someone. I did not like these on the 45g Realforce (not lubed), but after lubing and silencing my 55g Digilog RF I can't go back. These things are quite awesome, and really work well with 55g switches, though I think lubing sliders also has a big effect on these. Hypersphere rings are much better than EK landing pads for sure. Now I have the quietest keyboard in the office, even quieter than the rubber domes my coworkers use :P

I'm another happy NovaTouch + Hypersphere silencing ring user :)

For disassembly, I followed this guide: http://imgur.com/gallery/iGzCV

I also lubed the stabilizers using this: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/permatex-ultra-slick-multi-purpose-synthetic-grease-85-g-0280813p.html Canadian friendly :)

Interesting choice for lube, and a lot of it...how do you like it? I used Geekhackers V3 on my sliders (with an extremely light coat) and had good results. I know Bro Caps recommends Du Pont Teflon as an all around, just didn't want to pay $15 for a 4oz bottle (this is also quite a lot).

bad quote
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 November 2015, 07:44:12 by jerue »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 08:17:20 »
UPDATE:

The rings are just about sold out. However, I have decided to produce a third batch relatively soon. If all goes according to plan, they should be ready by around mid-January (2016). As before, they will be available on eBay at "katesattic2".

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 10:43:48 »
Put these on my hhkb couple days ago they work great and easy to install :thumb:

Offline chigro

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 08:55:46 »

Interesting choice for lube, and a lot of it...how do you like it? I used Geekhackers V3 on my sliders (with an extremely light coat) and had good results. I know Bro Caps recommends Du Pont Teflon as an all around, just didn't want to pay $15 for a 4oz bottle (this is also quite a lot).

I like it.  I think it's the equivalent to SuperLube, and it also has the same NLGI grade.  It's thick, translucent, and as far as I can tell, plastic-safe.  I couldn't find the other recommended lubes;  the bike shops in my area didn't carry the DuPont Teflon / Finish Line Fluro lubes, nor did I want to order online and pay essentially double the price when shipping is included.

As for the quantity, I think it's a plus.  I've also lubed a few squeaky door hinges around the house  ;)

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 11:31:47 »
@atectatifern: Please let us know how the rings work out for you on a Novatouch. I have tested the rings on an RF87U and a HHKB Pro 2, but all I have done with the Novatouch is determine that the rings will fit on the switch stem. I think the switches for the modifiers might be a different design in the NT from those in the RF or HH, so that the rings might not work for the modifier switches in the NT as they do in the RF or HH.

For my HHKB, I used a single ring for the modifiers and spacebar, and this seems to work fine. I also lubed the modifiers and spacebar switches. In addition, I added some small squares of self-adhesive foam strips on top of the rubberized contact points under the HHKB spacebar.
Where do we get these foam strips? Do they come with these rings?

Offline jiexi

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 01:24:33 »
the silencing rings came in and i have finally installed them.

In terms of sound, they are definitely dampened.  They sound very similar to using the ironed-down landing pads.  I actually used landing pads on the stabilizer keys in order to cover a little more surface area.  I still get a return clack when using the backspace but that's simply because the key is so large.  For the most part, the sound is consistent.

The price while a little higher is well worth not having to spend the amount of time needed to iron down landing pads and fiddling around the sliders to make sure they fit.  Great job on these rings!  Long live the thock!

Would you say that the silencing ring sounds more/less/same dampened vs the landing pad mod? I'm trying to decide if i want to buy a set of rings for my novatouch and replace my landing pads with these. It took ages to get those landing pads ironed out and put on correctly.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 14:06:54 »
@Dolch: No, the foam strips do not come with the rings. I get mine at a local hardware store. They appear to be the same type of material that is used as non-skid pads on the underside of keyboards. I cut squares of the material and apply them to the top of the case on each side of the central spacebar switch to act as a shock absorber for the spacebar. The foam strip thing is a completely optional extra treatment; I haven't done a thorough assessment of its effectiveness. The same with lubing the stabilizers -- I do this when I install rings in my keyboards, but I haven't done an objective study to determine the extent to which this helps with suppressing stabilizer rattle. However, I can say that the rings alone make a major difference in quieting Topre switches, especially on the Novatouch, but I have installed them on my RF87U and HHKB Pro 2 as well, and I really like the results on all of my Topre-switch keyboards.

Offline slushi

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 14:45:33 »
@Dolch: No, the foam strips do not come with the rings. I get mine at a local hardware store. They appear to be the same type of material that is used as non-skid pads on the underside of keyboards. I cut squares of the material and apply them to the top of the case on each side of the central spacebar switch to act as a shock absorber for the spacebar. The foam strip thing is a completely optional extra treatment; I haven't done a thorough assessment of its effectiveness. The same with lubing the stabilizers -- I do this when I install rings in my keyboards, but I haven't done an objective study to determine the extent to which this helps with suppressing stabilizer rattle. However, I can say that the rings alone make a major difference in quieting Topre switches, especially on the Novatouch, but I have installed them on my RF87U and HHKB Pro 2 as well, and I really like the results on all of my Topre-switch keyboards.

I was about to buy one of your sets on ebay yesterday. I hesitated and it looked like all of them sold out :(

Do you have an example of the foam strips you used? I am using the soft landing pads for now until you stock more of your rings. Also, which lube are you using for the sliders? I put on some of that GH thick lube from Zeal but would love to see what you are doing.

HHKB Pro 2

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 12:05:38 »
@slushi: Yes, we have temporarily sold out of the silencing rings. However, I am tooling up for a new batch, which I anticipate will be ready by around mid-January. They will again be available at "katesattic2" on eBay.

Regarding the foam strips, i use something similar to this item on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Shepherd-Hardware-9980-Surface-Adhesive/dp/B003B4TMOM/ref=sr_1_4?s=hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1447955500&sr=1-4&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A3334266011%2C2802967011

I cut the strips into squares and apply them under the spacebar. However, there are a variety of materials that would work as well or better. These foam strips are okay on the HHKB Pro 2 because of the extra height from the built-in spacebar bumpers. However, for the Novatouch, you will need more height. You could use more layers of the foam strips or get a thicker material from a hardware store. I think there are some thicker foam tapes that should work well. I have not researched the spacebar bumpers thoroughly. In contrast, I have researched the silencing rings thoroughly.

Offline slushi

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 12:24:21 »
thanks for the reply! i read the original post so I have already made a mental note on when to check for more stock :)

HHKB Pro 2

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 12:46:01 »
@slushi: Yes, we have temporarily sold out of the silencing rings. However, I am tooling up for a new batch, which I anticipate will be ready by around mid-January. They will again be available at "katesattic2" on eBay.

Regarding the foam strips, i use something similar to this item on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Shepherd-Hardware-9980-Surface-Adhesive/dp/B003B4TMOM/ref=sr_1_4?s=hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1447955500&sr=1-4&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A3334266011%2C2802967011
(Attachment Link)
I cut the strips into squares and apply them under the spacebar. However, there are a variety of materials that would work as well or better. These foam strips are okay on the HHKB Pro 2 because of the extra height from the built-in spacebar bumpers. However, for the Novatouch, you will need more height. You could use more layers of the foam strips or get a thicker material from a hardware store. I think there are some thicker foam tapes that should work well. I have not researched the spacebar bumpers thoroughly. In contrast, I have researched the silencing rings thoroughly.

I think I got the last batch for my HHKB =P

any how, those pads. how well would they work for the RealForce. Is it the same deal as the novatouch?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 14:50:40 »
Yes, as I recall, if you want to add some shock absorbing pads under the spacebar, the RF87U and Novatouch would be similar. If the shock pads are to work, they would have to have enough thickness to reach the underside of the spacebar when it is pressed down.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 16:54:48 »
Yes, as I recall, if you want to add some shock absorbing pads under the spacebar, the RF87U and Novatouch would be similar. If the shock pads are to work, they would have to have enough thickness to reach the underside of the spacebar when it is pressed down.
Is there aa video or some pictures I can see where I can add the absorbing pads?

And, how thick are these pads compared to the standard hhkb type-s silencing pads? I think I read that the hhkb is 2mm thick while these are 1mm thick. Is this true?

Offline linuxhermit

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 29 November 2015, 19:50:25 »
Can't wait for these to get back in stock. I need some for my 87U and FC660C
87UW45FC660C EW

Offline O(logn)

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 07:26:54 »
Can't wait for these to get back in stock. I need some for my 87U and FC660C

I second that!

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 06:47:30 »
Is there aa video or some pictures I can see where I can add the absorbing pads?

And, how thick are these pads compared to the standard hhkb type-s silencing pads? I think I read that the hhkb is 2mm thick while these are 1mm thick. Is this true?
Please scroll up to see my posts with some details. There is a pic of a HHKB with the spacebar removed -- you can see where the shock absorbers are. I use approximately the same placement on other Topre-switch keyboards. The foam strips are about 1 mm thick, so that at least two layers would be needed on anything but a HHKB. I have not yet experimented much with techniques for spacebar shock absorbers -- it is likely that there is a better way than using the foam strips. When I can find some time, I will look into this more carefully and post if I discover a better method.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 07:24:46 »
UPDATE: ROUND 3: The Hypersphere Silencing Rings are availlable again via "katesattic2" on eBay. If you go to eBay and type "Silencing Rings" in the search box, this should get you there.

In addition, for a limited time (from Dec 21 2015 until early January 2016, for those who live in the UK or EU, "Muirium" is serving as a proxy; you could contact him directly. Muirium is on DT.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 December 2015, 07:41:11 by Hypersphere »

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 07:27:05 »
UPDATE: ROUND 3: The Hypersphere Silencing Rings are availlable again via "katesattic2" on eBay. If you go to eBay and type "Silencing Rings" in the search box, this should get you there.

In addition, for a limited time (from Dec 21 2015 until early January 2016, for those who live in the UK or EU, "Muirium" is serving as a proxy; you could contact him directly.

Yessssssssssssssssssss! Just purchased my set, can't wait to get these badboys!

Offline raymogi

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 07:34:14 »
Stock up while they're still available boys! :D
Please feed my addiction.

Offline graefeln

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 08:41:40 »
I went in for a set as well...

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 13:38:37 »
Just put in an order  :)

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 14:11:51 »

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 14:32:13 »
Just put in an order for these myself as well.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 19:15:36 »
Here's a sound comparison of the novatouch with and without damping rings (really good).  I just put in an order as well.  The damped one is at the end:

More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 13:38:04 »
Is this something that will be in continual stock? Just wondering if I should order sooner than later.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 19:18:47 »
This is Round 3 for the Silencing Rings. As I near the end of the current batch, I will re-evaluate the projected demand and decide if there will be a Round 4.

Offline RinSama269

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 04:22:31 »
First post ;D
Just installed them and with thick lubed on my HHKB, which is now dead silent compare to my V60mini Mx Clears...
Should I install them on my fc660c? I don't know. Time and thock will tell...Thanks Hypershere for making these rings available.

Offline ImAWildDeer

• All about that click clack
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 00:36:52 »
I installed these last weekend and they are fantastic. The classic "Thock" is still there with none of the "click". I'll be lubing the slider rails this weekend, but even with the factory lube, they are noticeably quieter.
HHKB | Ergodox Infinity | OG Ergodox | Atreus | Planck | WASD V2  | Whitefox | TX1800 | F62

Offline phoible

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 01:45:27 »
I just installed these on my Novatouch. It went from pretty loud to significantly quieter than my v80 with Matias Quiet Clicks.

It is really amazing how much quieter it is now.

The other great thing about these rings is that they don't significantly reduce key travel. Totally worth the money.

Offline deduction

• unix layout zealot
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 09:49:33 »
I installed these a couple weeks ago and they're fantastic.  I prefer the sound and keystroke feel of the hypersphere silenced HHKB over my Type-S.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 14:22:08 »
I installed these a couple weeks ago and they're fantastic.  I prefer the sound and keystroke feel of the hypersphere silenced HHKB over my Type-S.
Same here! But it is good to hear this from others! ;)