Author Topic: Metal case vs plastic case sound comparison?  (Read 19997 times)

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
Metal case vs plastic case sound comparison?
« on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 20:46:38 »
I am interested in getting a metal case, but I can't find any direct sound comparison between metal case and plastic case. Also, besides weight and sound, is there other difference between metal and plastic cases?
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Metal case vs plastic case sound comparison?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 20:52:51 »
One of the joys of having a metal case is it doesn't make any noise.
All you get is sweet sweet switch sound.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:27:05 »
One of the joys of having a metal case is it doesn't make any noise.
All you get is sweet sweet switch sound.
Do you mean the sound with a metal case will be same as having no case at all (no resonance)?
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 21:59:19 »
as with PCBs, cases can bend and squeek as you type. i've seen plenty of keyboards with thin plastic cases, and in my opinion it sucks.
construction also matters, meaning that the 'downsides' of thin plastic cases can be made a lot less worse by having a smarter designed construction.
but yeah, metal cases sturdy up the whole thing by a good amount, in general. unless the metal case was designed poorly, it's always a straight upgrade in my opinion.
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline slaction

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 22:19:30 »
It depends on the switches really.  From my experiences with MX Blues, plastic cases seem to accentuate the "clack" a lot more, while metal cases give you more of the "click".  However, depending on the switches, metal cases also seem to increase any existing "ping" that the switches might  have.  With non-clicky switches, metal cases still produce a much higher frequency sound than plastic cases.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 01:02:47 »
honestly, I cant hear any sound differences at all.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 November 2015, 21:03:05 by jonathanyu »

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 02:48:21 »
depends on how the case is built. Imo there is a small difference with 60% plastic vs metal cases. on the other hand a korean custom full alu tank differs alot in feel and sound from a original plastic filco like keyboard.

Offline lolpes

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 02:55:15 »
This may help, old but good

Or you can go to key chatter and see some typing videos ;) not much difference imo

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 05:16:52 »
Like Slaction said, there can be a difference, but the type of switch being used determines how much of an effect it will have. If you are comparing red or blacks, there is probably little to no difference. Browns you might see some, but blues you can really tell.

On my Filco, the stock case compared to the Vortex aluminum case, blues sounded sort of hollow and cheap. Keep in mind, the stock Filco is a nice case and did not sound bad, it just sounded bad compared to the Vortex. The Vortex on the other hand, had a solid sounding click and feel and did dampen the noise in the room, but reflected more back right at you (which is why it seems to amplify pings). So about as noisy for the operator, but quieter for those around you. Adding a bit of foam in the bottom helps dampen the sound further.

Plate type, shape and thickness can also have an effect, as can how the plate is mounted. On mine I have an extra thick stainless plate, and have plastic dampers on the perimeter dampening vibrations from it, plus foam in the bottom. Then you have key caps (double thick PBT's aren't just for durability) and o-rings which can alter sound as well. Basically, you can tune the sound, just like the switch.

As Bucake also said, how it can bend and squeek, they can also rattle and rock on desks. A heavy aluminum one will sit more stable than a plastic one skirting all over. I have yet to find a keyboard as satisfying to use as my Vortex Filco. It stays put, has a solid sound, and ZERO flex... My KBT Race was nice, but now, it feels like a cheap plastic toy due to flex and lack of weight. So how stiff is the Vortex, it makes a Model M feel like a cheap rubber dome.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 08:01:45 »
Has anyone compared the sound of metal vs plastic for Matias quiet switch or other tactile Alps?

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 08:24:01 »
Like Slaction said, there can be a difference, but the type of switch being used determines how much of an effect it will have. If you are comparing red or blacks, there is probably little to no difference. Browns you might see some, but blues you can really tell.

On my Filco, the stock case compared to the Vortex aluminum case, blues sounded sort of hollow and cheap. Keep in mind, the stock Filco is a nice case and did not sound bad, it just sounded bad compared to the Vortex. The Vortex on the other hand, had a solid sounding click and feel and did dampen the noise in the room, but reflected more back right at you (which is why it seems to amplify pings). So about as noisy for the operator, but quieter for those around you. Adding a bit of foam in the bottom helps dampen the sound further.

Plate type, shape and thickness can also have an effect, as can how the plate is mounted. On mine I have an extra thick stainless plate, and have plastic dampers on the perimeter dampening vibrations from it, plus foam in the bottom. Then you have key caps (double thick PBT's aren't just for durability) and o-rings which can alter sound as well. Basically, you can tune the sound, just like the switch.

As Bucake also said, how it can bend and squeek, they can also rattle and rock on desks. A heavy aluminum one will sit more stable than a plastic one skirting all over. I have yet to find a keyboard as satisfying to use as my Vortex Filco. It stays put, has a solid sound, and ZERO flex... My KBT Race was nice, but now, it feels like a cheap plastic toy due to flex and lack of weight. So how stiff is the Vortex, it makes a Model M feel like a cheap rubber dome.
What kind of foam do you use?

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:17:39 »
My NTC review has a typing comparison between a metal Alps board and a plastic one. I'd post a link but I'm on my phone ATM (check the link in my signature for the whole playlist).
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:54:12 »
My NTC review has a typing comparison between a metal Alps board and a plastic one. I'd post a link but I'm on my phone ATM (check the link in my signature for the whole playlist).
Thank you!

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 19:56:56 »
What kind of foam do you use?

You want to make sure it's electronics safe, I used the pink stuff you get when you buy a new motherboard.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 23:44:01 »
This topic just made me decide to get an mx silent filco TKL and aluminium case. My wallet thanks you!

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 10:33:01 »
My mx red pok3r sounded way better (more silent) with a cheap aliexpress plastic case than with the original aluminium one.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 12:12:15 »
It's not just the material, it's a combination of a lot of things. In my experience its been

switch + case material + case dimensions + keycap profile + any sound dampening inside + sitting on a mat or not + are you in a noiseless environment

Though I do notice that a metal case tends to dampen sounds more. The most quiet keyboard I've ever typed on had a metal case (Duck Viper V1 with lubed 35g vintage blacks).