Author Topic: Key-ed Up Labs and their Customer Service  (Read 20536 times)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
Key-ed Up Labs and their Customer Service
« on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 19:10:41 »
EDIT:

MY FIRST EVER VIDEO. I've never used Adobe Premiere. This was my first shot at making any type of video. What do you think???

I recently decided to dive into mechanical keyboard modification. With my one and only mechanical keyboard, I thought this is a great idea -_-. I went all out... and bought some rosin core, a soldering kit, pump, lubes and springs. "I can do this!" I said to myself. Like a giddy schoolgirl, I waited for it all to be delivered. Before it arrived, I decided to take a look at the inner workings of my precious... the KUL Es-87. My first obstacle: the plastic case. Easy enough. I wedged a butter knife in the plastic crevices and cracked it open with ease. Next, came the screws. No problemo.

Dun dun dun... the wretched white molex connector. I'm no stranger to this neck of the woods. I've built PC's a plenty in my day and went to town. I pinched, I pulled, I pushed, and I pried. Nothing. Wouldn't budge. I tried tweezers, small precision screwdrivers, etc. WHAT THE HECK? So, I put some elbow grease into it and my nightmare came true: the white plastic piece crumbled into a million pieces, rendering my brand new, sole mechanical keyboard completely useless and un-modified at that.

I frantically posted on reddit and community web sites. I came across a sticky with a replacement part but noticed it didn't look like the right piece. I could try soldering the individual legs to the corresponding PCB points but I've never soldered before! AHHHH! I e-mailed mouser, talked to /u/ripster55 and many others. According to the tech sheets, it wasn't a match. So, I finally reached out... a Hail Mary if you will... and e-mailed the manufacturers: Keyed Up Labs. I explained my financial situation, how eager I am to learn about mechanical keyboards and my love for "the game" lol.

A week or so passed and I became hopeless. A rubber domed Dell mocked me day in and day out, my RSI started flaring up again and worst of all, I thought I was out of $120 + modification gear costs. The ideas of buying another keyboard and the doubt of messing that up as well haunted my dreams. My wife is going to kill me and my obsession with mechanical keyboards is being thoroughly challenged. Did I mention the several group buys that I'm involved with? Yeah that too. DAMNIT!

Screw it. I took my KUL apart, painstakingly desoldered & pried out all 87 MX Switches. I opened each one up, and slowly oiled and lubed all the contact points over several days. I reassembled the keys and soldered them back into place. I'm feeling super uneasy and have very little hope that I'll ever find out if I torched the board or if I'm a soldering prodigy. I check r/mk every night and plan all my future builds and mods... without knowing if I'm even capable performing a simple lube job.

One day, I opened up my e-mail: "Give me your mailing address and we'll send you a new wire ."

NO WAY. KUL IS AWESOME. The keyboard gods have smiled down upon me and gave me a glimpse of hope. The next day, USPS alerted me of a new package being shipped to my address and the wait began. It reached LOS Angeles Sorting and then...

Nothing. 14 Days pass and it's lost. Gone. I'm crushed and feel like asking for another one is really pushing my luck.

"No problem. We'll send another one out to you."

A long story short (NOT REALLY?), I am now typing on my KUL ES-87 w/ 78g SPRiT springs, GPL205 & Victorinox lube, and clipped/lubed stabilizers. SCORE! Every key works and my soldering doubts nullified.

I know this ended up being a marathon post but I just wanted to share my experience with you all. I have had MANY poor customer service experiences and I'm in awe with how awesome Keyed-up Labs have been. I cannot recommend the KUL ES-87 model enough... especially to those who want an affordable board with MX Clears. It's built like a tank and gave me a chance to fall in love with mechanical keyboards. Better yet, I realized that lubed 78g + stock clear springs aren't for me. The PCB is so good, it has withstood my novice soldering skills and I now have 62g springs on the way. The PCB is brilliant and is known for being one of the best in the business for modifications... and will take a 3rd beating with ease.

TLDR: The creators of the KUL Es-87, Key-ed Up Labs, are fine people and provide great customer service. If you are looking for a TKL board with tank like quality and solid performance, look no further. I purchased mine on Amazon but they are available at many other vendors as well. MX Blue: http://www.amazon.com/ES-87-Tenkeyless-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry/dp/B00OZY9YQI/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1459121729&sr=1-1&keywords=kul+es-87+clear

Thank you all for your time and clack on.

PS: This is a repost of my reddit submission. I just wanted to pass on the good word.

------------------------------
Edit: And here she is! NEARLY Complete!

KUL ES-87: Krytox GPL205/105 lubed Cherry MX Clear, clipped stabilizers, 62g SPRiT 24k springs, TEMPORARY Vortex PBT Keycap set (awaiting Pulse, Nantucket Select & Granite)

« Last Edit: Sat, 16 April 2016, 13:18:09 by bmilcs »

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline callmejag

Re: Key-ed Up Labs and their Customer Service
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 23:10:31 »
Good to know. I plan on picking up a KUL 87 with Clears this week. I love hearing about companies who stand behind their products and their customers.

Thanks for posting.
55g HHKB, Realforce 87UW, Novatouch, POK3R (MX Clears)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 10:31:33 »
Good to know. I plan on picking up a KUL 87 with Clears this week. I love hearing about companies who stand behind their products and their customers.

Thanks for posting.

You're very welcome. Writing is not my strong suit by any means but I hope that this was interesting enough to get through. I know it's a wall of text ^ ^

I can't stress how great the PCB is if you plan on going Ergo-Clear at any point. It makes my Pok3r look like Fisher Price.

TGR.JANE.V2 #40/40 <3 // TOKYO60 #1 // KBD75  #1 #2 #3 #4 // ES87  #1 #2 #3 #4 #5
INCOMPLETE  Duck Orion v3, 2 pcb black on black (might sell, pm me)  | SOUTHPAW.65

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 08:25:21 »
Great to hear they stand behind their product. Now they need to make a KUL with Topre...
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Johan

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 10:29:24 »
Yeah that white connector is a ***** to work with, I remember trying to disconnect it from my filco for the first time. My fingers were in a lot of pain.
Uh, stuff.

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 10:41:11 »
Good to hear their customer service is still responsive, as their website, Facebook, and Twitter seem to have not been updated for many months.

Offline HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 10:51:15 »
They're keep stalking and keep KUL :cool:

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 01:12:43 »
Maybe they're still honoring warranties but not making boards anymore?

I found one used and I hope it's okay. It looked more appealing than WASD. It's sad if they're going out of business.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 April 2016, 01:17:22 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 01:15:58 »
They're keep stalking and keep KUL :cool:

Really? It looks like most are not in stock on that site.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 April 2016, 05:07:22 »
Maybe they're still honoring warranties but not making boards anymore?

I found one used and I hope it's okay. It looked more appealing than WASD. It's sad if they're going out of business.

Wait what... KUL not making any boards no more?

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 10:14:01 »
And here she is... almost complete! Waiting on PULSE and gotta pick out a nice wire for it.

KUL ES-87: Krytox GPL205/105 lubed Cherry MX Clear, clipped stabilizers, 62g SPRiT 24k springs, TEMPORARY Vortex PBT Keycap set (awaiting Pulse, Nantucket Select & Granite)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 13:07:27 »
Here is my beauty smoke white kul with clears! Don't mind my potato cam or crappy shot pleaaazz.. kthx

134083-0

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 13:28:19 »
Those look nice!

I've got black Leopold ninja caps waiting for mine. Those pics are making me anxious! ;)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 14:48:48 »
Dude, PBT caps infinitely improve your overall experience over stock abs caps. Holy cow. Ergoclears were meh with ABS but now feel ultra smooth n solid. REAL TALK :)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 15:20:42 »
Dude, PBT caps infinitely improve your overall experience over stock abs caps. Holy cow. Ergoclears were meh with ABS but now feel ultra smooth n solid. REAL TALK :)

Stock caps on the KUL suck anyway. Thin, shine like crazy, legends wear off just by looking at it. Ho-rrible.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 16:53:39 »

Stock caps on the KUL suck anyway. Thin, shine like crazy, legends wear off just by looking at it. Ho-rrible.

Ducky Shine 4 with the Leopolds was much better as well, although I didn't necessarily hate those caps. Thin is thin, though.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 16:58:28 »
It's shipped... wish me luck ;)

134115-0

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 17:11:30 »
It's shipped... wish me luck ;)

(Attachment Link)

Fine board you got there! :thumb:

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 11 April 2016, 17:17:13 »

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 00:02:03 »
I'm really ready for it! These rattling stabilizers on my Ducky One TKL are rattling my brain! I'm going to eventually fix that at some point since I like the board otherwise. It's a good one to use at work.

The KUL's stabilizers are stock Cherry and not noisy from the videos I have seen. Is that your experience?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 12 April 2016, 05:30:09 »
I'm really ready for it! These rattling stabilizers on my Ducky One TKL are rattling my brain! I'm going to eventually fix that at some point since I like the board otherwise. It's a good one to use at work.

The KUL's stabilizers are stock Cherry and not noisy from the videos I have seen. Is that your experience?

Stock Cherry I believe indeed (too lazy to flip my spacebar off on mine). They are not noisy at ALL. My enter was a bit squeeky but turned out to be my cap was a bit tight.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 14:17:33 »
I should make a sound clip video of my keyboard. It sounds and feels AMAZING. Clipped and lubed stabilizers.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 14:40:40 »
I should make a sound clip video of my keyboard. It sounds and feels AMAZING. Clipped and lubed stabilizers.

I know. It is an awesome board. More videos the better!

Offline ATXTider

• I keep it playa while some choose to play it safe
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 21:58:03 »
I love my KULs.  The perfect board for me!

http://imgur.com/a/Mu881

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 13 April 2016, 23:25:43 »

Stock Cherry I believe indeed (too lazy to flip my spacebar off on mine). They are not noisy at ALL. My enter was a bit squeeky but turned out to be my cap was a bit tight.

Sweet. That's what I thought and was hoping for. I ended up just ripping the stabs from the stabilizer mount and putting some o-rings on the keys for the Ducky One. It actually works well as the keys don't bind like I thought they would; only the long SHIFT when pressing the very edge. Luckily I didn't need to mess with the spacebar stabilizer, as it didn't rattle. They must have been some cheap clone of Cherry stabilizers. I ordered a couple of replacements from Zeal if I ever decide to put replace them, but it works well enough for work. I don't mind my Ducky One being a kind of "tweaker" board to experiment with. But I want something like the KUL to have as a nice board that I don't have to worry about doing any weird hacks to like that just to have decent functionality, for sure. I'm glad to see you all so enthusiastic about it.

Now just waiting for Friday ;)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 18:02:04 »

Sweet. That's what I thought and was hoping for. I ended up just ripping the stabs from the stabilizer mount and putting some o-rings on the keys for the Ducky One. It actually works well as the keys don't bind like I thought they would; only the long SHIFT when pressing the very edge. Luckily I didn't need to mess with the spacebar stabilizer, as it didn't rattle. They must have been some cheap clone of Cherry stabilizers. I ordered a couple of replacements from Zeal if I ever decide to put replace them, but it works well enough for work. I don't mind my Ducky One being a kind of "tweaker" board to experiment with. But I want something like the KUL to have as a nice board that I don't have to worry about doing any weird hacks to like that just to have decent functionality, for sure. I'm glad to see you all so enthusiastic about it.

Great to hear! I didn't mod my KUL.. was thinking of lubing the stabs but I've never done it before and I don't want to ruin one of my main drivers. I've only put PBT caps on them. Like after 1 week. I couldn't stand the stock caps.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 12:03:29 »
I'll tell ya... I was in love with stock clears. But 62g lubed and clipped ergoclear mod truly enhanced my board several levels. Even with cheapie vortex pbt it feels incredible. Sadly  any mod requires soldering, a skill I was terrified of until doing this board.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 14:37:14 »
I'll tell ya... I was in love with stock clears. But 62g lubed and clipped ergoclear mod truly enhanced my board several levels. Even with cheapie vortex pbt it feels incredible. Sadly  any mod requires soldering, a skill I was terrified of until doing this board.

Wait... stock clear is 55g... you made them even heavier?

Offline ATXTider

• I keep it playa while some choose to play it safe
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 15:18:17 »

Cherry quotes weight as "force needed to reach switch activation", while everyone else gives spring weights as "force needed to bottom out".  While Cherry Clear switches list their weight as '55g', their bottom out weight is more like 100g, so he's made the switches lighter.

Here's a page with Cherry's force graph to help elucidate:
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=keyed_up_labs,tenkeyless&pid=es87u_cc_wss_al

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 15:19:05 »

Cherry quotes weight as "force needed to reach switch activation", while everyone else gives spring weights as "force needed to bottom out".  While Cherry Clear switches list their weight as '55g', their bottom out weight is more like 100g, so he's made the switches lighter.

Here's a page with Cherry's force graph to help elucidate:
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=keyed_up_labs,tenkeyless&pid=es87u_cc_wss_al

Thanks! I see now.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 22:12:18 »

Great to hear! I didn't mod my KUL.. was thinking of lubing the stabs but I've never done it before and I don't want to ruin one of my main drivers. I've only put PBT caps on them. Like after 1 week. I couldn't stand the stock caps.

Hey, it just came in. One reviewer was definitely accurate in calling the KUL "smooth". I don't have any rattle. I've just been using it a couple of hours and put on the WOB Gmk set already! The build of the board seems very solid. I'll use the Ducky at work and keep this one at home.

Sorry for bad pic, they really don't capture the elegance that well.

134564-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 April 2016, 00:32:50 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 00:24:22 »
Hey guys. I spent the last 8 hours learning the very basics of video editing to show how my ergoclear KUL ES-87 sounds. I'll post a link once it's rendered and uploaded.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 00:35:40 »
Hey guys. I spent the last 8 hours learning the very basics of video editing to show how my ergoclear KUL ES-87 sounds. I'll post a link once it's rendered and uploaded.

Nice! I don't think I've listened to a sound-test of those yet.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 04:07:16 »

Hey, it just came in. One reviewer was definitely accurate in calling the KUL "smooth". I don't have any rattle. I've just been using it a couple of hours and put on the WOB Gmk set already! The build of the board seems very solid. I'll use the Ducky at work and keep this one at home.

(Attachment Link)

Nice! You like it?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 04:07:49 »

That'll be interesting! With your new caps or stock caps?

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 13:18:31 »
EDIT:

MY FIRST EVER VIDEO. I've never used Adobe Premiere. This was my first shot at making any type of video. What do you think???

Make sure you maximize and set to 1080p!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 13:20:51 »
EDIT:

Nice video, watched it to the end. Nice caps. Nice edit also. Only it seems as if it is just out of focus by a tiny tiny fraction. Is this due to export?

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 13:50:36 »
EDIT:

Nice video, watched it to the end. Nice caps. Nice edit also. Only it seems as if it is just out of focus by a tiny tiny fraction. Is this due to export?

Yes. 100% Export. I used the best quality possible so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. My hands should be slightly out of focus as I have it set to TAB Q W E area. Youtube and Facebook always ruin everything.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 13:52:51 »
On second look, the keyboard was definitely in focus. Post processing I suppose. I used:

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 13:55:02 »

You know what? I don't know what I did wrong. I was so focused on shooting my first video that I may have adjusted the frame and not taken the time to properly focus. Fail.

Maybe It's because I used the LCD to focus and not the viewfinder. I thought I set single point focus but again, I was experimenting. Oh well. It was a first take!

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 13:56:43 »
I exported it as 60 fps and I shot it in 30fps. Could this have caused the issue?

Edit: Look at my desk mat. It should be in focus. You can see the bokeh shift from blurry to sharpish to blurry.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 15:32:06 »
I must say that the screenshots you post are way sharper than what YouTube shows. Perhaps it IS youtube? Perhaps they do some post-conversion or something.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 15:48:31 »
Do you have 1080p highlighted via the gear icon?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 15:55:45 »

Show Image

Yes, but honestly, it may be my mbp 2010 lacking. 60fps is not smooth for me. So it may be that the algorithm tries to interlace between frames that are skipped.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
    • bmilcs world
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 18:53:10 »

Show Image

Yes, but honestly, it may be my mbp 2010 lacking. 60fps is not smooth for me. So it may be that the algorithm tries to interlace between frames that are skipped.

I gotcha. Oh well. I am happy having learned so much in the process. I need to record my TF2 MGE 1v1s and pub games... make a highlight reel :)

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 23:40:31 »

(Attachment Link)

Nice! You like it?

Yes, definitely. It's like the GMK WoB and the ES-87 were made for each other!

I thought about trying some other caps eventually, like my GMK Dolch set or the IMSTO pbt set that will (hopefully) ship soon, but I may just have to buy another ES-87 for that. ;)

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 23:49:07 »

Show Image

I gotcha. Oh well. I am happy having learned so much in the process. I need to record my TF2 MGE 1v1s and pub games... make a highlight reel :)

I thought the video was good, the keys sound like "marbles" which is really nice (if that makes sense). Only thing is maybe better sound isolation. The shot looked good and isolated with the black background, but hearing traffic and such kind of made it harder to focus on the keyboard sound.

However, I will say that I have very sensitive hearing, so I may just be anal about it. I would probably not be totally please unless the room was sound proofed and professional mics were used, as in a music studio. ;)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #47 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 07:10:31 »

Show Image

I thought the video was good, the keys sound like "marbles" which is really nice (if that makes sense). Only thing is maybe better sound isolation. The shot looked good and isolated with the black background, but hearing traffic and such kind of made it harder to focus on the keyboard sound.

However, I will say that I have very sensitive hearing, so I may just be anal about it. I would probably not be totally please unless the room was sound proofed and professional mics were used, as in a music studio. ;)

Damm you hearing good man!

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 12:30:18 »

Show Image

I know... sometimes it makes me a bit crazy to hear things so well, but it's better than bad hearing. I tried clicky switches but it was too much feedback for me.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 12:32:27 »

Show Image

I know... sometimes it makes me a bit crazy to hear things so well, but it's better than bad hearing. I tried clicky switches but it was too much feedback for me.

My hearing is probably not as good as yours, but my hearing (all my senses actually) are really SENSITIVE. Their are particular pitches / frequencies that really irritate me to the bone, like the pitch of blue switches.