Author Topic: Project L review (Alps SKCM Neon Green/Lime)  (Read 9946 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Project L review (Alps SKCM Neon Green/Lime)
« on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 10:39:31 »
I teased this last week, and here it is now! Hope you enjoy! :)

**** knows how I managed to avoid making a **** joke through the hole thing :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline t8c

Re: Project L review (Alps SKCM Neon Green/Lime)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 14:17:45 »
Fantastic! Looking forward to these every week.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 15:03:26 »
Neato. Is it possible these are the rarest ALPS switch?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 02:53:44 »
Great review!

Makes me want to try some Alps switches even more, if only I could decide which of the 50,000 variants I'd like to try first :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 06:37:42 »
It's probably quite close between Lime, Brown linear, and Cream tactile. Tactile browns are also pretty rare, but a fair amount of people actually have them - I think the amount of people with Lime boards can be counted on one, possibly two hands xD .

Great review!

Makes me want to try some Alps switches even more, if only I could decide which of the 50,000 variants I'd like to try first :))
Start off with white. They're cheap, easy to get, and really nice - as always though, make sure it's in GREAT condition! Don't settle for anything less!

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 07:06:55 »
Great review!

Have my first alps keyboard on the way, its pretty exciting! :D

Offline E3E

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 07:08:56 »
It's probably quite close between Lime, Brown linear, and Cream tactile. Tactile browns are also pretty rare, but a fair amount of people actually have them - I think the amount of people with Lime boards can be counted on one, possibly two hands xD .

Great review!

Start off with white. They're cheap, easy to get, and really nice - as always though, make sure it's in GREAT condition! Don't settle for anything less!

As far as I know, the documented cases of SKCM Lime are just enough for a full hand. Nubbinator, Jacobolus, whoever owns the DKSaver with SKCM Lime, Chyros, and myself are the only ones who've been seen with them. Daniel Beardsmore has also ordered some himself, so then I guess we do roll over onto two hands!

Not many documented Docutech owners, aha.

As far as documented cases of SKCL Brown, there's been a few on youtube and on other blog sites and forums.

I'd say cream tactile is a bit of an outlier. There are quite a few NeXT Non-ADB boards with this switch, but people seem to overlook them. They're a bit of an outlier in the sense that they might be the next rarest, but they are far common than SKCL Brown and SKCM Lime. I would say SKCL Brown and SKCM Lime are probably the rarest, withe pine SKCM Lime being on top there.

For full-board switches, I'd say the rarity is something like this:

SKCM Lime > SKCL Brown > SKCL Cream > SKCM Amber > SKCM Brown > SKCM Cream > SKCM Blue > SKCM Black [pine] > SKCL Green > SKCL Yellow >  SKCM Orange > SKCM Salmon > SKCM White > SKCM Black [bamboo]

• SKCL Cream can only be found in Bondwell 8T Pro laptops, as far as we know, and those are quite a bit more rare than Apple IIc A2S4100s or IBM 5140s.
  • SKCM Amber can only be found in those certain Apple IIC models.
  • SKCM Brown can be found in the IBM 5140s, but is also found in models like the Xerox 6085 keyboard, the Docutech's predecessor, as well as some Texas Instruments boards and so on, so it's not as rare.
  • SKCM Cream can always be found in NeXT non-ADB boards with AAE in the FCC ID, which aren't very rare. It's just a scarcely documented switch.
  • SKCM Blue is all over the place, but it's just very sporadic.
  • SKCM Black pine is not very common, but it can also be found in the other variant of NeXT non-ADB boards and the Silitek AT101, which makes it a bit more rare than Salmon and Orange imo.
  • long plate unbranded SKCM White might be more rare than SKCM Blue. The alternate tactile leaf design (contact leaf style) SKCM Brown might be more rare than everything but SKCM Lime and SKCL Brown.

If you want to add SKCL Grey because it was included in the SGI button box, which had around 32 switches, then I think it'd be pretty rare. Not sure where to put it though.

« Last Edit: Sun, 08 May 2016, 07:13:59 by E3E »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 07:47:16 »
SKCM Lime > SKCL Brown > SKCL Cream > SKCM Amber > SKCM Brown > SKCM Cream > SKCM Blue > SKCM Black [pine] > SKCL Green > SKCL Yellow >  SKCM Orange > SKCM Salmon > SKCM White > SKCM Black [bamboo]
Yeah, that sounds about right to me. The damped ones are a bit harder to place., probably between Salmon and White I think.

Offline E3E

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 07:50:36 »
Yeah, that sounds about right to me. The damped ones are a bit harder to place., probably between Salmon and White I think.

Oh wow, those TOTALLY slipped my mind. I was thinking about them right before I made the list too, haha.

Don't they only come in SGI Granite and AEKIIs? I haven't followed them closely, but it seems like that's the case. Only found in two keyboards, but those keyboards happen to be pretty common. :) Yeah, I agree with that placement. :thumb:

Since I'm not too familiar with them, I'm not really sure which out of the two damped varieties is more uncommon.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 May 2016, 07:56:01 by E3E »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 09:33:02 »

Oh wow, those TOTALLY slipped my mind. I was thinking about them right before I made the list too, haha.

Don't they only come in SGI Granite and AEKIIs? I haven't followed them closely, but it seems like that's the case. Only found in two keyboards, but those keyboards happen to be pretty common. :) Yeah, I agree with that placement. :thumb:

Since I'm not too familiar with them, I'm not really sure which out of the two damped varieties is more uncommon.
Later Alps-made boards often came with them too, often the white ones. I'd say the white ones are probably slightly more common, but the difference isn't huge.

Also, this list is based purely on the volume of keyboards that have switches, not how many different models came with them, obiously. Because in that case the bamboo black Alps would be ones of the "rarest" instead of the most common, and white and blue Alps would be very common indeed. Blue Alps might have appeared on even more different boards than white Alps, even.

Offline E3E

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 10:21:37 »

Later Alps-made boards often came with them too, often the white ones. I'd say the white ones are probably slightly more common, but the difference isn't huge.

Also, this list is based purely on the volume of keyboards that have switches, not how many different models came with them, obiously. Because in that case the bamboo black Alps would be ones of the "rarest" instead of the most common, and white and blue Alps would be very common indeed. Blue Alps might have appeared on even more different boards than white Alps, even.

Yeah, of course it's based on volume, haha. There'd be a lot of one-off switch boards like SKCM Amber and SKCL Cream and switches that are -close- to that sort of exclusivity like SKCM Orange being incredibly rare because of that, but nah. A lot of those one-off makes come in common boards.

The Docutech is like the best example of low volume and exclusive compared to the hundreds of thousands of other boards with a particular switch.

Blue Alps is all over the place. The keyboards that exclusively used blue Alps are pretty uncommon, but DC-2014s have popped up like weeds lately. There's a lot out there but it's just spread out like crazy.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 21:59:12 »
Great review!

Not much choice down here - I've been looking around ahd have found no Alps keyboards at all yet.  Might have to just take whatever I can find, if I can ever find it!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 20:48:09 »

Great review!

As far as I know, the documented cases of SKCM Lime are just enough for a full hand. Nubbinator, Jacobolus, whoever owns the DKSaver with SKCM Lime, Chyros, and myself are the only ones who've been seen with them. Daniel Beardsmore has also ordered some himself, so then I guess we do roll over onto two hands!

Not many documented Docutech owners, aha.

As far as documented cases of SKCL Brown, there's been a few on youtube and on other blog sites and forums.

I'd say cream tactile is a bit of an outlier. There are quite a few NeXT Non-ADB boards with this switch, but people seem to overlook them. They're a bit of an outlier in the sense that they might be the next rarest, but they are far common than SKCL Brown and SKCM Lime. I would say SKCL Brown and SKCM Lime are probably the rarest, withe pine SKCM Lime being on top there.

For full-board switches, I'd say the rarity is something like this:

• SKCL Cream can only be found in Bondwell 8T Pro laptops, as far as we know, and those are quite a bit more rare than Apple IIc A2S4100s or IBM 5140s.
  • SKCM Amber can only be found in those certain Apple IIC models.
  • SKCM Brown can be found in the IBM 5140s, but is also found in models like the Xerox 6085 keyboard, the Docutech's predecessor, as well as some Texas Instruments boards and so on, so it's not as rare.
  • SKCM Cream can always be found in NeXT non-ADB boards with AAE in the FCC ID, which aren't very rare. It's just a scarcely documented switch.
  • SKCM Blue is all over the place, but it's just very sporadic.
  • SKCM Black pine is not very common, but it can also be found in the other variant of NeXT non-ADB boards and the Silitek AT101, which makes it a bit more rare than Salmon and Orange imo.
  • long plate unbranded SKCM White might be more rare than SKCM Blue. The alternate tactile leaf design (contact leaf style) SKCM Brown might be more rare than everything but SKCM Lime and SKCL Brown.

If you want to add SKCL Grey because it was included in the SGI button box, which had around 32 switches, then I think it'd be pretty rare. Not sure where to put it though.

Old thread but to add to this I would put SKCL Amber at the top.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline E3E

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 04:22:20 »

Well, I was speaking of switches that could be found in full keyboards, not one-off switches or space bar switches. Single switches would be something different altogether; I wouldn't know where to start, haha.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 19:44:22 »

Well, I was speaking of switches that could be found in full keyboards, not one-off switches or space bar switches. Single switches would be something different altogether; I wouldn't know where to start, haha.

Ah. Lol, SKCL Heavy Grey or Heavy SKCL Cream even :eek: is at the top likely.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 20:34:23 »
SKCL Cream can only be found in Bondwell 8T Pro laptops, as far as we know,
Pretty sure I saw one as a spacebar switch in a SKCL green keyboard. I might be imagining it though.

Offline E3E

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 21:23:52 »
SKCL Cream can only be found in Bondwell 8T Pro laptops, as far as we know,
Pretty sure I saw one as a spacebar switch in a SKCL green keyboard. I might be imagining it though.

No, they are used for space bar switches on some boards; I've seen them in certain typewriters with SKCL Greens. I'm talking board-wide switches, not just singles here though.

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 05:26:18 »
Great review!

Not much choice down here - I've been looking around ahd have found no Alps keyboards at all yet.  Might have to just take whatever I can find, if I can ever find it!

It costs so much to buy keyboards and get them shipped too...

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 15:13:04 »
I want to add that once I bent a click leaf on my White ALPS by accident and it had an extremely unique key feel. All of the tactility was at the top. I wish I could replicate it because it felt excellent.