Author Topic: "Typewriter" keycaps like on Massdrop  (Read 39525 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Typewriter" keycaps like on Massdrop
« on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 05:56:52 »
So there's a drop for a Magicforce 68-Key Mini Mechanical Keyboard with special typewriter keycaps:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/magicforce-68-key-mini-mechanical-keyboard?mode=guest_open

This is not a full TKL ANSI set of keycaps though, although the bottom row is the standard layout.

Anyone know if these keycaps (preferably a full US ANSI TKL set) are available separately?

"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: "Typewriter" keycaps like on Massdrop
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 09:56:08 »
I asked, but no dice yet. I actually kinda want those caps, and hope they're a bit better and cheaper than Datamancer's.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 13:46:15 »
I like how the Magicforce logo looks with those 'typewriter' keycaps. Seems to blend in a little better with all the excitement.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 14:44:10 »
I like how the Magicforce logo looks with those 'typewriter' keycaps. Seems to blend in a little better with all the excitement.

Definitely looks better than the magicforce stock caps  ^-^

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 15:16:06 »

Exactly!

Although I have a feeling those keycaps do look better on a metal case.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 15:19:13 »
Is it bad that I'm considering getting the board just to get the caps?  :-[

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 15:36:44 »

Not at all.

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 16:08:32 »
Can't decide if I want to buy that board, always wanted a magicforce. But I have a second 60% in the mail already...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 16:52:00 »
I asked, but no dice yet. I actually kinda want those caps, and hope they're a bit better and cheaper than Datamancer's.

+1, they look really cool.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 21:42:37 »

Yes, 'cause it's not a full ANSI set on that board and you'd have gaps if you tried to use the keycaps on other boards.

Even a 60% would be missing one of the modifiers, and using a standard keycap in its place would be sacrilege!

Offline timerwin63

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 21:44:23 »
IMO the best "typewriter"-styled keycaps are the ones on the QWERKYWRITER:

I don't know where to source them, though. As for the caps on the Magicforce, I remember seeing something like them on Taobao in a 104-key set a couple months ago. I'll see if I can't dig them back up.
Roses are red, violets are blue. They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 21:46:35 »
IMO the best "typewriter"-styled keycaps are the ones on the QWERKYWRITER:

Show Image

I don't know where to source them, though. As for the caps on the Magicforce, I remember seeing something like them on Taobao in a 104-key set a couple months ago. I'll see if I can't dig them back up.

I think I prefer the Massdrop one - 1x keycaps on the modifiers don't quite look right.

Offline timerwin63

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 22:05:06 »
I think I prefer the Massdrop one - 1x keycaps on the modifiers don't quite look right.

I agree with you about the modifiers. I was speaking more of the general aesthetic, though.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 22:05:17 »
Is there a transparent layer over the Massdrop ones? It seems like the legends are printed on the black plastic.

Offline timerwin63

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 22:11:39 »
Is there a transparent layer over the Massdrop ones? It seems like the legends are printed on the black plastic.

This picture makes it look like really thin pads or maybe infilled laser etching. Doesn't look like there's any kind of protective layer on it, though:

I guess I was wrong about the Taobao typewriter caps, too. The only ones I can seem to find are the ones on this board.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 22:28:04 »

This picture makes it look like really thin pads or maybe infilled laser etching. Doesn't look like there's any kind of protective layer on it, though:

Show Image

I guess I was wrong about the Taobao typewriter caps, too. The only ones I can seem to find are the ones on this board.

If it's in the actual plastic (whether laser or otherwise) I don't mind much. I actually prefer that over the layered shell, and I really, really hope these come in a 104 kit.  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 00:02:51 »
These (Massdrop) would be custom-made, do you think?

That they exactly fit a (more or less) TKL keyboard seems suspicious, given the lengths that some steam punk players go to to make actual archaic typewriter keys fit a modern keyboard.

If so, perhaps there will be a drop or something for the keycap sets.

They'll need up to 397 sets of the keycaps as it is, just for this drop!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 19:31:15 »
https://world.taobao.com/search/search.htm?_ksTS=1467382559319_20&spm=a21bp.7806943.20151106.1&search_type=0&_input_charset=utf-8&navigator=all&json=on&q=打字机%20键帽打字&cna=AVWhDwBO6B4CAVQs8V5%2FP164&callback=__jsonp_cb&abtest=_AB-LR517-LR854-LR895-PR517-PR854-PV895_2462

What is it with the chinese picturing a steam punk keyboard with a book, a pen, scissors?

By the look of the shapes and colours of keycaps in those pics, looks like there are a few places making them.

Hopefully they will appear in the western world so as to be a bit more accessible at some stage.

Offline duhhey

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 20:06:45 »
OOOOOoooooo

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 20:38:19 »

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 10:34:56 »
I can't imagine these actually are efficient to type on.  Look cool, though.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 10:36:47 »
I can't imagine these actually are efficient to type on.  Look cool, though.

The only caps I'd get just so they can look pretty on my board.
Besides my one SA set, of course.  :))

Offline dustigroove

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 11:23:02 »
Blitwin posted the below link in the discussion on Massdrop. It has photos of a "Lexking" badged version of the MF board (in black) with Typewriter keycaps:

https://uccu.cool3c.com/projects/205

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 15:18:25 »
Blitwin posted the below link in the discussion on Massdrop. It has photos of a "Lexking" badged version of the MF board (in black) with Typewriter keycaps:

That one has 1x modifiers on the bottom row and a 1x Tab. That kinda irks me a bit, especially the Tab.

The Massdrop one has 1.25x bottom row modifiers, and a proper sized Tab.  Looks much better to me :)

Offline dustigroove

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 15:38:51 »

That one has 1x modifiers on the bottom row and a 1x Tab. That kinda irks me a bit, especially the Tab.

The Massdrop one has 1.25x bottom row modifiers, and a proper sized Tab.  Looks much better to me :)

I unfortunately don't read Chinese, and that page was way tl;dr it all... but from what I gathered through Google Translate, they have been working with the manufacturer (Lester?) of that typewriter set and the photos were of their agreed upon specifications for an "early bird" purchase.

I mainly reposted the link in the event that it's relevant to finding the set on it's own (and to give folks an idea of what the black case with typewriter keycaps looks like).

Agreed that the Massdrop version looks cleaner with the larger modifiers!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 21:47:50 »

I unfortunately don't read Chinese, and that page was way tl;dr it all... but from what I gathered through Google Translate, they have been working with the manufacturer (Lester?) of that typewriter set and the photos were of their agreed upon specifications for an "early bird" purchase.

I mainly reposted the link in the event that it's relevant to finding the set on it's own (and to give folks an idea of what the black case with typewriter keycaps looks like).

Agreed that the Massdrop version looks cleaner with the larger modifiers!

Thanks for the link and info, much appreciated :)

Given that Massdrop is currently nearly 850 orders, and probably a good few of those might have been mainly for the keycaps, there has to be someone out there making these sets in bulk.

Hopefully one day they will be available separately.

Offline Parzival

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 22:36:25 »
Datamancer sells typewriter keys

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 23:24:59 »

Yes, but we're looking at alternatives.  ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 16 July 2016, 05:36:27 »

Yes, but we're looking at alternatives.  ;)

Cheap, mass-produced alternatives ;)

Offline bloorocket

• Experience tranquillity
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 21:53:41 »
Check out Datamancers keycaps, its pretty similar
Ducky Snake Mx Blues
Bucket list: EnduroPro, Ergodox, King's Assembly, HHKB Pro2, 55g RF
Looking for: Grey Mod set for RF 104 ANSI

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 22:00:47 »

Those are pretty expensive, instead, I'd buy a GMK set, but if they were cheaper, I'd try them anytime.

Offline bloorocket

• Experience tranquillity
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 22:16:37 »

Those are pretty expensive, instead, I'd buy a GMK set, but if they were cheaper, I'd try them anytime.

GMK fans are really hyped abt Carbon, didnt expect 2k orders lol. But yeah Datamancers are overpriced
Ducky Snake Mx Blues
Bucket list: EnduroPro, Ergodox, King's Assembly, HHKB Pro2, 55g RF
Looking for: Grey Mod set for RF 104 ANSI

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 17:45:45 »
Yay!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/typewriter-abs-keycap-set?mode=guest_open

Any thoughts (apart from ABS, pad-printed and weird stems)?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 18:36:46 »
Pad printed? LOL.

Offline eksuen

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 20:46:46 »
Yay!

I got 'em on a Magicforce with Gateron Greens. No issues with the wide stems interfering during the downstroke. I think the keys are kind of neat. I doubt they are chrome-plated, though. If they are anything like the ones that came with the Magicforce, it's definitely just shiny plastic on the edges.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 21:02:57 »
Yay!

I got 'em on a Magicforce with Gateron Greens. No issues with the wide stems interfering during the downstroke. I think the keys are kind of neat. I doubt they are chrome-plated, though. If they are anything like the ones that came with the Magicforce, it's definitely just shiny plastic on the edges.

How do they feel? Not bad?

Offline eksuen

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 26 September 2016, 21:15:04 »
Yay!

Not bad at all. Probably have to spend some time to get used to them since they have less surface area than what I'm used to. I find myself missing some keystrokes simply because I'm not fully hitting the key where I usually get away with hitting a key offcenter. I cannot see myself using these keycaps as daily drivers, but that was never the intention anyway. They're just kind of cool.

Offline nemui

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 03:07:28 »
I just received my Magicforce drop too (Gateron Browns) and I agree with eksuen. The typewriter caps are different, but I haven't had any problem with sticky keys yet (most of the complaints seem to be about that).

Offline keyladding

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 09:39:26 »
Yay!

Not bad at all. Probably have to spend some time to get used to them since they have less surface area than what I'm used to. I find myself missing some keystrokes simply because I'm not fully hitting the key where I usually get away with hitting a key offcenter. I cannot see myself using these keycaps as daily drivers, but that was never the intention anyway. They're just kind of cool.

If anything, I'd get them for the aspect of novelty.

Offline eksuen

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 10:29:46 »
/r/MechanicalKeyboards user doesn't like them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/54kig6/buying_typewriter_abs_keycap_set_on_massdrop/d835w9h

Can't say I share his experience and sentiments. I don't have any issues with sticking or rubbing keys. I don't know if the sticky keys issue happens with Cherry or Gateron switches.

Yay!

If anything, I'd get them for the aspect of novelty.

Yeah, pretty much why I got them.

Offline zslane

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 12:39:03 »
With the right switch, you could get a nice manual typewriter simulation. How fun would it be to put these on a Pok3r with MX Blues and get kicked out of every coffee shop in L.A.!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 12:45:59 »
With the right switch, you could get a nice manual typewriter simulation. How fun would it be to put these on a Pok3r with MX Blues and get kicked out of every coffee shop in L.A.!

The keyboard would sound the same with most key caps, no need to get these cheap pad printed ones, while you can have a high quality OG Cherry or GMK set on your board.

Offline zslane

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 12:48:55 »

The keyboard would sound the same with most key caps, no need to get these cheap pad printed ones, while you can have a high quality OG Cherry or GMK set on your board.

Yes, but it wouldn't look like a typewriter with those keycaps.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 12:58:25 »

Of course, if what you want is to stare at your keyboard; but most, want it to type on, those type writer style key caps are not made for modern keyboards for a reason, your modern board does not have levelers anymore, but switches that can be activated with contoured and ergonomic key caps, not by flat circles better adapted as a leveler's ends. But be my guess, if you want to put your money on this, who am I to tell you otherwise, get your retro style key caps they may look very cute on your desk.

Offline zslane

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 13:13:30 »

Of course, if what you want is to stare at your keyboard; but most, want it to type on, those type writer style key caps are not made for modern keyboards for a reason, your modern board does not have levelers anymore, but switches that can be activated with contoured and ergonomic key caps, not by flat circles better adapted as a leveler's ends. But be my guess, if you want to put your money on this, who am I to tell you otherwise, get your retro style key caps they may look very cute on your desk.

I think it goes without saying that the whole point of keycaps like these is to look cute on a desk. And they are probably no less usable than the keys on a Corona 3. If that was good enough for Hemingway, it is good enough for the likes of us.  :p

Offline eksuen

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 13:25:24 »

Yeah, I got them on a Magicforce with Gateron Greens for this very reason. It doesn't quite compare to a typewriter (I have a portable one), but I suppose it's the closest you can get with modern mechanical keyboards. Definitely makes for an interesting conversation piece.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 14:16:24 »

I think it goes without saying that the whole point of keycaps like these is to look cute on a desk. And they are probably no less usable than the keys on a Corona 3. If that was good enough for Hemingway, it is good enough for the likes of us.  :p

Well. Hemingway argument warrants against any possible answer,  :p

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 20:48:32 »
are they these? They look like they'd be a ***** to actually type on. :/

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 20:51:59 »

No, they aren't.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 27 September 2016, 20:56:11 »

No, they aren't.

Then what, some cheapo taobao set that massdrop bought?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 05:17:10 »
I'm in two minds about these.

Pad printing - probably wear off sooner rather than later.  It's very disappointing when a keycap set shows wear after not too long, regardless of the cost.

Stems - square and apparently less compatible with Cherry switches, but better with Gateron switches.  All my MX-like keyboards have Cherry switches.

Plastic "chrome" - rubs off after a while?  Most plastic "chrome" I've seen tends to wear in places, and once worn stays that way.  These would look terrible with worn patches on the edges.

Still 4 days left, I might talk myself back in to them, but probably not.

Offline zslane

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 12:04:39 »
You have to ask yourself, how much would you type on them if you had them on a board? Would they be on your daily driver if they were more high-end?

I think of these as novelty caps, and I doubt I would use them all the time. It would probably take quite a while for the legends to wear off or the faux chrome to wear off. Maybe by the time that happens, someone will have a GB up and running for a high-quality take on this idea.

I too am on the fence as to whether to pick up a set.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 16:19:30 »
If you are going to be correct with how typewriters of the era were then all keys should be circular except for the Space Bar.

More over, typewriters were often very stepped. The keys should be slanted forwards to emulate that and to provide a better typing experience, not be flat like a chiclet keyboard.

Offline zslane

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 16:51:10 »
Technically true. However, I think the goal is to have a manual typewriter aesthetic without the (awkward) manual typewriter experience. Conforming to the layout of the keyboard these keys would be mounted on makes the most sense to me.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 04:03:17 »
You have to ask yourself, how much would you type on them if you had them on a board? Would they be on your daily driver if they were more high-end?

I think of these as novelty caps, and I doubt I would use them all the time. It would probably take quite a while for the legends to wear off or the faux chrome to wear off. Maybe by the time that happens, someone will have a GB up and running for a high-quality take on this idea.

I too am on the fence as to whether to pick up a set.

Daily driver at work is now SSK.

Daily driver at home changes, but is sometimes something with MX switches.

So they would be used occasionally at home.

Given how many keycap sets I have, and given the reservations about these, I will leave them for now.  If they are re-run in a few months, I might reconsider.

The old trick - imagine you have the money in one hand and the keycaps in the other.  Which would you rather keep.  For me it is the money this time.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 14:19:17 »
There are a few keyboards and keycap sets like these on eBay now.  One notes that they are "super rare" - obviously hasn't seen Massdrop.

Also they are available in pink (albeit with a keyboard in this listing), which suggests that they will be more generally available at some stage, and not just a passing thing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/68keys-SteamPunk-Retro-vintage-typewriter-mechanical-keyboard-blue-switch-/222268597737

149597-0

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 15:39:50 »
There are a few keyboards and keycap sets like these on eBay now.  One notes that they are "super rare" - obviously hasn't seen Massdrop.

Also they are available in pink (albeit with a keyboard in this listing), which suggests that they will be more generally available at some stage, and not just a passing thing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/68keys-SteamPunk-Retro-vintage-typewriter-mechanical-keyboard-blue-switch-/222268597737

(Attachment Link)

Any blue ones?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 21:05:28 »

(Attachment Link)

Any blue ones?

I wasn't looking, I just saw that linked from something else I was looking for.

Offline Barndenn

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 12:53:32 »
Does anyone know of or have a picture of the typewriter keycaps with backlighting?

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 15:29:42 »
I got this with MX cherry black and they are pretty good. Not using them much since the pad printing won't last too long to my abuse.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 20:49:28 »
Does anyone know of or have a picture of the typewriter keycaps with backlighting?

There's a picture or two in the Massdrop comments showing backlighting.

Offline zslane

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 16:03:37 »
For fans of MX Blue switches, it is worth noting that you won't hear the switch click over the noise of bottoming out with these keycaps. Due to their design, there is no way for silencing rings to have any effect on dampening the downstroke. The combination of bottoming out and upstroke noise will drown out the sound of the switch's internal click leaf.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 20:45:39 »
I wonder what this profile would be called.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 07:14:13 »
The "Flat and Ugly Retro"?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 20:49:56 »

Offline jgodinez302

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 08 November 2016, 17:40:36 »
As someone mentioned before Datamancer makes them as well and yes they are quite a bit more.... however the quality is far superior to those on massdrop/ebay. I've visited Datamancer before for the SoCal meet up and got to see how bunch of them are made there. Definitely will last a lot longer and they are much heavier considering they are made out of actual metal and not plastic.

Offline zslane

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 12:52:26 »
Yes, that is the same set that was sold through MassDrop.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 13:37:41 »
As someone mentioned before Datamancer makes them as well and yes they are quite a bit more.... however the quality is far superior to those on massdrop/ebay. I've visited Datamancer before for the SoCal meet up and got to see how bunch of them are made there. Definitely will last a lot longer and they are much heavier considering they are made out of actual metal and not plastic.

Is 'Datamancer' a factory or a company? Or is that a person?
Didn't some forum member say 'Datamancer' committed suicide a few years ago?

It's becoming more and more mysterious.

I would guess Datamancer's offer would be of much much higher quality. On DT, someone from the UK is offering wooden version with ISO UK layout by the way.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline zslane

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 16:31:13 »
Datamancer is a company. It used to be led by its founder, who is no longer with us apparently.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 19:53:12 »
A set that is halfway between Datamancer and Massdrop sets would probably be best.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 20:07:16 »
A set that is halfway between Datamancer and Massdrop sets would probably be best.

good or cheap. pick one.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 19:59:57 »

good or cheap. pick one.

Harder to pick than a broken nose!

Offline buckyballs

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 21:33:55 »
So there's a drop for a Magicforce 68-Key Mini Mechanical Keyboard with special typewriter keycaps:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/magicforce-68-key-mini-mechanical-keyboard?mode=guest_open

This is not a full TKL ANSI set of keycaps though, although the bottom row is the standard layout.

Anyone know if these keycaps (preferably a full US ANSI TKL set) are available separately?

Standard layout means they have a apps key is it?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 21:47:06 »

Yeah, the Menu key.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 12 December 2016, 19:58:50 »

Sort of, although it was more in reference to the keycap size i.e. 1.25 1.25 1.25 6.25 1.25 1.25 1.25 1.25

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 13:07:19 »
Square stems seem to be becoming more "popular": https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dot-eh112-bluetooth-mechanical-keyboard?mode=guest_open

Also white ones like the original ones are now available: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/retro-white-typewriter-keycap-set?mode=guest_open

Although both are still ABS and have the square stem.  The first set is customised for that particular keyboard, but based on the stem could very well be made by the same manufacturer, unless others are jumping on the square stem bandwagon.

Offline classiccarguy92

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 02:03:20 »
I'm actually working on a build using a cm board with cherry blues on it. The plan is to design it to work and look like an old typewriter so that's why I went with the blues because they have a similar sound to an old typewriter. I can't wait until it's finished. 

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 04:13:23 »
I'm actually working on a build using a cm board with cherry blues on it. The plan is to design it to work and look like an old typewriter so that's why I went with the blues because they have a similar sound to an old typewriter. I can't wait until it's finished. 

Blues (and greens) and more a "tick tick tick" sound, whereas typewriters were "clack clack clack".

But they are probably closer than most other MX(-compatible) switches.

If you prefer heavier switches, MX greens are great!

Offline zslane

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 27 December 2016, 11:41:09 »
I did this very same experiment myself and found that MX blues have such a soft "click" sound that it is drowned out by all the bottom-out and upstroke noise. The result is a typing clatter that doesn't resemble the noise of manual typewriters at all, but you probably won't get any closer with any other MX switch, not even a different clicky MX switch.

156220-0

Offline superpiya

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 00:22:46 »
These keycaps are beautiful, but are they comfortable to type on?

Offline majstor

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 05 January 2017, 15:59:09 »
Wooden version of typewriters keys .156873-0

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 06 January 2017, 23:07:19 »
Wooden version of typewriters keys . (Attachment Link)

Neato! Got a link?

Offline majstor

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 07 January 2017, 12:36:14 »
No, I do not have a link but it's my work..
This is of cherry

and before is the oak
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 January 2017, 12:40:56 by majstor »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 20:01:16 »
They look really well done!

Does the wood split or wear over time, especially the stem (if removed and reinserted many times)?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 23 January 2017, 20:13:45 »
No, I do not have a link but it's my work..
This is of cherry
Show Image

and before is the oak

I just saw your response. Very impressive indeed! You should make more.  :p

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 01:06:09 »

Does the wood split or wear over time, especially the stem (if removed and reinserted many times)?

I would imagine so with seasonal changes in humidity as well. I would want to stabilize the wood before using it.
-Dana

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 08:36:24 »

This is an alternative option.
http://www.banggood.com/104-Key-Steampunk-ABS-Retro-Circular-Keycaps-For-Mechanical-Keyboard-p-1112262.html?rmmds=search

Offline majstor

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 24 January 2017, 16:52:56 »

I would imagine so with seasonal changes in humidity as well. I would want to stabilize the wood before using it.

Wood naturally must be properly processed but is not affected by moisture, water and alcohol. After 2 years of use ( other keys of course and not those from the above images)  i do not have a need for polishing. Cross is made from ABS  .

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 20:04:36 »

This is an alternative option.
http://www.banggood.com/104-Key-Steampunk-ABS-Retro-Circular-Keycaps-For-Mechanical-Keyboard-p-1112262.html?rmmds=search

Still got those rectangular stems though ...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 13:08:50 »
There's these now: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/datamancer-typewriter-keys?mode=guest_open

The real deal, however I'm not too keen on the typeface used on the legends, the stems are not shown, and the modifiers are different sizes and shapes and don't line up and that would really bug me each time I saw the keyboard.

Offline zslane

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 07 March 2017, 13:20:39 »
Datamancer only used to have two sizes of keycaps: 1u and 1.25u. That made keyboards look even weirder than what you're seeing in that new drop. Now it looks like they have a third size, something close to 2u, which certainly helps, but is still not quite perfect for standard keyboards today. I'm pretty confident the stems are cylindrical, not rectangular like the cheapo ones that come with the MagicForce "typewriter" board.