Author Topic: SP - SA Sublimated - Ice Cap - Industrial!  (Read 30469 times)

Offline KHAANNN

SP - SA Sublimated - Ice Cap - Industrial!
« on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 21:43:38 »
So, on Pimp My Keyboard's latest email, which I received an hour ago, they promote a new keyset called "SA Ice Cap" - releasing on their shop on September 1st

They say it's sublimated, it's black on white, it seems like a boring keyset other than this "sublimation"

They don't specify the material, but I wonder whether it's PBT

Edit: http://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-industrial-keyset/ - this is pretty impressive
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 October 2016, 13:35:13 by KHAANNN »
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: SP - SA Sublimated - Ice Cap - PBT?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 21:44:51 »
Well, you're not going to dyesub ABS or POM...

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 21:51:42 »
If that is the case, would be nice to see 2-tone keysets roll out in the future, I wonder why they wen't with a super-white base, even a 1-tone beige could make the keyset uniquely appealing

Anyway, on the topic of material, indeed dye-sublimation indicates PBT, assuming, they didn't make a wordplay around "sublimate", since the keyset's name is "Ice Cap" - it seems likely
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
SP - SA Sublimated - Ice Cap - PBT?
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 12:26:30 »
I hope they wont be as thin as granite. Are those gonna be the first PBT SA profile caps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 12:45:19 »
I've heard they had some on the shop, blanks

Offline zslane

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 13:57:14 »
I suspect that the reason they will be all row 3 is because that is the only mold they can reliably fill with PBT in quantity.

Personally, I don't really see the point of these. They are just a taller DSA cap. Why bother with SA if you aren't going to do sculptured rows?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 14:05:19 »
I think the clear SA keycaps are Polycarbonate so I guess they already know they can inject materials other than ABS for SA. Maybe the R3 has to do with their sublimation process? Do they have any sculpted keysets with dye-sublimated legends? I'm definitely interested in what this might mean for sculpted sets in the future.

Offline zslane

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 14:54:07 »
If I have to give up double-shot legends, I'd rather at least get a better cap shape as compensation. That's why I'm more enthusiastic about M3 than these "new" PBT SA caps.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 15:55:41 »
I suspect that the reason they will be all row 3 is because that is the only mold they can reliably fill with PBT in quantity.

Personally, I don't really see the point of these. They are just a taller DSA cap. Why bother with SA if you aren't going to do sculptured rows?

As someone who tried to get modern selectric to fit a JD45, I can say that I like uniform for the versatility.  And it feels good on Danger Zone. It will take a lot for me to get a sculpted set from now on.

Offline zslane

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 16:48:56 »

As someone who tried to get modern selectric to fit a JD45, I can say that I like uniform for the versatility.  And it feels good on Danger Zone. It will take a lot for me to get a sculpted set from now on.

I hear you.

But if you just want uniform spherical dyesub PBT keycaps, then why not just go with DSA? I'm not sure I see why SP would bother to push these "new" caps (or why anyone would get excited by them) when their only virtue is that they are a bit taller than DSA.

Offline unoab

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 17:53:08 »
I hope they wont be as thin as granite. Are those gonna be the first PBT SA profile caps?

Well if they are as thick as the blanks they had in the shop before they are a bit thinner than on the normal ABS molds, so they do feel thinner and cheaper.  Here is a photo for reference (from left to right; ABS, PBT, PC relegendable shell, PC shell with ABS insert):

I would hope that since they had to make all new molds for most of the cap sizes (they only had 1u and 1.5u before), that they also remade the older molds to have thicker sidewalls.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 August 2016, 21:24:47 by unoab »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 30 August 2016, 18:48:22 »

I hear you.

But if you just want uniform spherical dyesub PBT keycaps, then why not just go with DSA? I'm not sure I see why SP would bother to push these "new" caps (or why anyone would get excited by them) when their only virtue is that they are a bit taller than DSA.
Taller is a feature that some people go for.   I have DZ on one board,  and Deep Space on  another,  and prefer the feel of DZ.  And SA looks better on the board IMO.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 12:29:28 »

Well if they are as thick as the blanks they had in the shop before they are a bit thinner than on the normal ABS molds, so they do feel thinner and cheaper.  Here is a photo for reference (from left to right; ABS, PBT, PC relegendable shell, PC shell with ABS insert):
Show Image

I would hope that since they had to make all new molds for most of the cap sizes (they only had 1u and 1.5u before), that they also remade the older molds to have thicker sidewalls.

I agree, side walls on granite are too thin and it just ruins the set.

The uniform r3 is also bummer for me. Meh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 12:40:22 »
I don't like the flush stems of SA keycaps the most
As an extreme solution, one could sand the stem to shorten it, similarly, the inside of the keycap could be spray painted to be thicker - both are too cumbersome tho

If they are engaged in SA dye-sublimation, I think we might see sculptured dye-subs at one point

SA ABS's are pretty great with their heft etc., so, these thin SA PBT's would probably only server SP to cut costs - It would be great if they allowed us to customize legends, at least then it would have an edge

Offline keyladding

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 15:07:18 »
They are indeed PBT.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 15:14:34 »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 15:45:44 »
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-ice-cap-keyset/

Looks pretty good, other than the base color choice

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 16:03:53 »
This could be very interesting. I'm surprised they didn't make a dyes-sub DCS keyset first to be completely honest. /shrug

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 00:24:14 »
This could be very interesting. I'm surprised they didn't make a dyes-sub DCS keyset first to be completely honest. /shrug

Maybe they tried, but since DCS is so thin, it might have crumbled on touch

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 01:05:51 »
It's kind of tempting to get just because of the possibility of this being the first and only set :)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 01:16:41 »
Just bought some.

Picked the SA "Ice Cap" Keyset TKL (87 keys) with SKU-587F72DE

and added 

SA "Ice Cap" Keyset: Numpad (17 keys) with SKU-4F82281B

Down side, they wouldn't sell me any more than ONE set at a time  >:D .  Sucks but I am curious with how they accomplished these new PBT sets since I'm always into new sets made by anyone today.

Always support your local manufacturer and I find their work is pretty much well made and if it isn't, Melissa sorts out everything for you in this regard.
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 September 2016, 01:18:17 by Elrick »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 01:20:16 »
It's kind of tempting to get just because of the possibility of this being the first and only set :)

First to own an SA R3 profile, which would be the absolute FIRST time in the World today.

What's not to like here, PBT done right for your keyboard  8) .

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 01:55:25 »
Just bought some.

and added 

Down side, they wouldn't sell me any more than ONE set at a time  >:D .  Sucks but I am curious with how they accomplished these new PBT sets since I'm always into new sets made by anyone today.

Always support your local manufacturer and I find their work is pretty much well made and if it isn't, Melissa sorts out everything for you in this regard.

I would probably not resist the temptation if I was in US, but outside, customs etc., keeps things in check

Would love to see a review from you, some close-up photos, comparisons etc. :)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 09:29:56 »

Maybe they tried, but since DCS is so thin, it might have crumbled on touch

Oh lol, that makes sense

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 09:34:03 »
I simply can't afford a set right now. I've got far too much on my want-list and already have two SA sets, and two more in production...
But I really hope this works out, not least due to the possibilities for the Lego set. (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74350.0)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 15:52:27 »
Just bought some.

and added 

So are these shipping now?  I'm assuming so, but just wanted to ask since you've already ordered.

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 16:26:25 »
Yeah, I ordered a full set as soon as preorders opened and got an email yesterday saying they've shipped.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 17:09:41 »
FYI -  they're sold out. I was on the fence about getting them,  and they solved it for me :)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 19:30:55 »
FYI -  they're sold out. I was on the fence about getting them,  and they solved it for me :)

That is how SP is selling key-sets these days.  The days of making millions of key-caps are now over.

They will only make lots of key-caps for MassDrop hence it makes sense to avoid wasting plastic in making lots of keys for in house orders, that might not move off their shelves.

Suspect they now no longer have any spare keys in stock except those other key-sets, already trying to sell in the store.  That is why when they send you a notice about an upcoming sale JUMP ON IT as soon possible.  Nothing worse than being another loser missing out on a rare key-set, that was available for a very short time.

Just hate they will only sell you ONE lousy key-set, instead of 3 or 4 sets.  Very miserly and completely depressing  ::) .

Offline zslane

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 19:39:42 »
I think this is mostly a result of SP's inability to predict demand accurately. This is a problem Oobly has been harping on for a long time. SP's "solution" seems to be this notion of cycling through different colors, possibly repeating colors after a while, so that on any given month there is a set available. If you don't like the color, just wait a month and maybe you'll like the next one.

I think there are some colors (or non-colors like black, white, gray) that will always sell, and so there's no good reason to limit production (or sales quantities) on those. But I don't know all the variables SP has to cope with, so what I think is of little value, really.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 02 September 2016, 22:30:46 »
I think this is mostly a result of SP's inability to predict demand accurately. This is a problem Oobly has been harping on for a long time. SP's "solution" seems to be this notion of cycling through different colors, possibly repeating colors after a while, so that on any given month there is a set available. If you don't like the color, just wait a month and maybe you'll like the next one.

I think there are some colors (or non-colors like black, white, gray) that will always sell, and so there's no good reason to limit production (or sales quantities) on those. But I don't know all the variables SP has to cope with, so what I think is of little value, really.
I knew it was limited; I just wasn't excited enough to pull the trigger with all of the other sets that are dropping.

And this was a test run to see interest- and they were testing their new techniques.   Under those constraints,  the restrictions make sense. If they manufacture them without a check in hand from a GB,  they're taking a chance,  and taking time out of their capacity.   And we see how backed up they are on that.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 03:06:55 »
~First photos: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/50w20z/photos_ice_cap_sa_on_my_lzrv/

The keycaps seemed as thick as the ABS ones to me

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 06:31:47 »
That set does look quite nice, and I like uniform R3 SA!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zslane

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 11:17:09 »

Heathen!  :D

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 03 September 2016, 17:19:57 »
They produced only a small amount of Ice Cap on purpose. This is what it says here:
"Ice Cap" is a prototype SA, all Row 3, PBT sublimated keyset. We will only produce around 100 of these keysets in order to evaluate process repeatability and to test market acceptance. If results are favorable we will expand our capability to full sculptured keysets in the future.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 04:52:11 »

Heathen!  :D

I'm yet to find a switch manly enough to properly support sculptured SA :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 05:55:33 »

DAMN Rowds, use Grey Tactiles sunshine and watch the weaklings here on GH Central, tremble at your manliness  ;) .

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 06:09:34 »

DAMN Rowds, use Grey Tactiles sunshine and watch the weaklings here on GH Central, tremble at your manliness  ;) .

Tempting, but where to find such a board?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 06:25:25 »
Forge it :]

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 07:26:00 »

Tempting, but where to find such a board?

I would so try some Grey Tactiles :)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 08:11:37 »

I'm on your side with this one.  Us heathens should stick together!  :))

Offline zslane

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 11:26:50 »
I find that I kind of like uniform row3 on 60% boards like my Pok3rs. That's why I have Granite on one and Dolch on the other. I think that if I was going to give these PBT SA caps a try, I'd wait until enough colors came out to replicate the current colorway I have:

Unfortunately, I'd have to give up those sublime icon mods to do it. :(

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 11:53:10 »
I loved DSA too, however, I always felt ~paranoid, wondering whether the lack of a sculpture was causing row-based mis-clicks, there was like 20-30 seconds each day that I thought about this, after switching to the Cherry profile, I've noticed that I don't experience these mis-clicks now - But, admittedly, DSA felt slightly better to type on, I miss the smoothness a bit (both sound and keypress)

I guess, If we had star trek style replicators, I would try a sculpted DSA (or DSS, to be exact) right now, with recessed stems, so it's even lower in profile, but with sculpture and varying height, and without the random warping of some SP keycaps

Offline zslane

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 12:18:56 »
Totally understandable.

I only use DSA on my Pok3rs, I only use my Pok3rs with my iPad, and I really only type on my iPad to write forum posts. That means 99% of my keystrokes fall onto rows 2-4. The lack of a row sculpt goes unnoticed by me, which is why DSA has been ideal.

I once tried SA on one of my Pok3rs, and found it awkward for some reason.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 12:32:57 »
I found it unusable because of the height, as I type while my wrists rest on the bare wood desk. Not possible with SA, so I dismissed the idea of using SA

However, I realised I need some SA in my life later on, not as a daily driver but, maybe as a functional ornament - If they use a super-dark base color at one point, like a dark/cool pebble color, that would be a PBT set I wouldn't miss

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 04 September 2016, 12:50:23 »
Say wha?

Offline jennb

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 18:58:10 »
SA Ice Cap feel = soft, almost powdery soft and smooth. I was surprised by this. I sort of wish my DSA Granite felt as smooth. On the soft scale, they're almost better than HHKB keycaps. I've got them on a 35g Plum TKL now, but I'll be trying them out with MX Clear, MX Brown, MX Green, and Zealio boards, too.

Here's my take on feel of keycaps I've tried so far:

PMK SA Ice Cap/HHKB = soft, powdery
PMK DSA PBT = great, but textured, not as soft
GMK ABS = attractive, soft, oddly sticky
PMK DSA ABS = my least favorite, even more textured than DSA PBT

Feel of keycap material isn't a deal-breaker for me, but it probably is more important than colorway and slightly less important than profile.
Keyboards: Code MX Clear, Minivan Aliaz switches
Keycap sets: DSA Granite, SA Ice Cep

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 01:56:28 »
Very interesting, thanks for sharing - indeed GMK ABS is oddly sticky :)

Offline zslane

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 16 September 2016, 12:46:28 »
Has anyone received their sets yet?