Author Topic: Matias Ergo Pro, Low Force Edition  (Read 5487 times)

Offline dotancohen

• Dotan Cohen
Matias Ergo Pro, Low Force Edition
« on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 04:48:43 »
This is my review after a few weeks of typing on the Matias Ergo Pro, Low Force Edition.

This is a very comfortable keyboard. The split and tenting is terrific, especially with the lower-outer support leg retracted. The palm rests are terrific, and the placement of the Function keys is superb. I'm not sold on the arrow key placement but I might get used to it, however as a VIM user that is not very important for me. Additionally, I have ESC and Caps Lock swapped in KDE, so the huge VIMesque ESC key is not as critical for me as it would be for other VIM users.

The no-tactile-feedback keys feel similar to Cherry Reds, however they are a bit mushy. Despite being called low-force keys, I feel that they take slightly more pressure to push than do Reds. In fact, the left side keys feel heavier than do the right side keys. It is difficult to not bottom out, there seems to be about half the key travel after actuation than has the Cherry Red. This is known and I expected it as I've read about these switches. I suppose that I got used to traveling quite far after actuation on Cherry switches. In truth I feel like I'm typing on a high-quality silicon dome switch, not a mechanical switch. Perhaps I'm just used to the Cherry feel. I may have made a mistake opting for the low-force edition.

The keyboard has quite a few flaws. Firstly, the left-side cushion has an obvious depression, as if something had been pressed against it for a long period of time. I don't recall there being anything on it when I opened the package, but it is not inconceivable that the USB cable or some other item had been there and I did not notice. The depression is noticeable but it does not affect the keyboard use in any way, so I'm not bothered by it. I believe that the right ALT key is damaged, it is extraordinarily wobbly. In fact, all the keys are much more wobbly and less stable feeling than with Cherry keys, and even more so than on standard silicon membrane keyboards. From that aspect this keyboard feels very cheap, which really stand out because the rest of the keyboard feels so solid. With the exception of a slight wobble that may be due to the desk, the device is heavy and sits with authority on the desk without sliding, yet is light enough to move it around when I want to move it around. This makes it very easy to find an optimal typing position with the Matias, which was the major drawback with the Comfort ErgoMagic. The included USB cables are heavy and solid, they seriously feel like tools and not like toys. I do not like the 90-degree angle on the MicroUSB cable, it seems like it is torquing the connector. As I've had these connectors fail in the past, I may replace this 90-degree cable with a straight cable to prevent the torquing.

Here is a video demonstrating the Alt key wobbliness and the keyboard wobbliness:

In addition to the retractable banana cable seen in all Matias photos, this keyboard came with a short fixed-length ~15 cm banana cable that looks much nicer connecting the halves. I personally would prefer that the keyboard were wireless as it really cleans up the desk. The two-halve keyboard and two wires looks much more sloppy than did the MS Sculpt Pelvis that it is replacing. In addition to looks, I would often have documentation or specs open in the space between the keyboard and the monitors, now with the cable running through it is not so accessible for papers, notes, pen, etc that I like to keep there. Nitpick, yes, but this keyboard obviously is made for the factious!

Interestingly, I thought that I would like the idea of the annoying Insert key being difficult to get to, as on the Matias keyboard one must press Fn-Del to get Insert. However, it turns out that I use that key more often than I thought, to paste into the terminal, which was already a triple bucky. So now I'm going to either have to perform a quadruple bucky or find another pasting solution for the terminal. Perhaps I'll be able to repurpose the "Paste" key on the left side. EDIT: Can't do, that key sends a literal keycode 37 then keycode 55, i.e. Ctrl-V. The OS never sees anything else.

One last observation that I have about this device is the tall front-row keys: Ctrl, Alt, Space, etc. This makes such a difference that I hope to see it copied to all other keyboards. The Microsoft 4000 also had this feature, and it was the only real regression when moving from that wonderful buttonplank to their otherwise very enjoyable MS Sculpt. The tall keys make room for moving the Home / End / PgUp / PgDown and Arrow clusters to below the alphanums, thus shortening the right side and bringing the mouse closer. I tend to avoid the rodent whenever possible, but when I need it I need it close, so this is quite helpful. However, when I need the arrow keys I want to be able to find them! Rotating the arm slightly at the elbow is enough to bring the hand over the arrow keys on standard keyboard layouts, but on the Matias one needs to raise the arm and then bend the wrist all the way down to reach the arrows. Same problem with the Home / End / PgDown / PgUp cluster. In a followup I'll see if my perception of that location changes.

In the office, my Comfort ErgoMagic earned the title "The King". As the Matias grows on me, I'm thinking that The Queen just might check The King.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 September 2016, 04:51:28 by dotancohen »

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
Re: Matias Ergo Pro, Low Force Edition
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 09:59:02 »
Nice review! I'm pretty interested in this keyboard.
What did you like so much about function keys? They don't seem particularly great to me.
It's a shame about the alt key. is it stabilized in any way?
What are your thoughts on the extra ctrl key?

Offline dotancohen

• Dotan Cohen
Re: Matias Ergo Pro, Low Force Edition
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 September 2016, 15:24:23 »
What did you like so much about function keys? They don't seem particularly great to me.
The function keys are very easy to get to by touch alone. I don't like looking at the keyboard, and with most keyboards the function keys are far enough away that my hands don't keep good formation to hit the right one consistently. With the Matias, I hit the function keys with perfect accuracy. For the past few months I've also been evaluating the Idea IDEs so I'm using those keys a lot more than I used to in VIM.

It's a shame about the alt key. is it stabilized in any way?
I'm not sure if there are supposed to be stabilizers under there. I've tried using moderate force to remove one of the left-side auxiliary keys (paste) without success, I don't want to try on the important keys until I absolutely need to. The key works, mind you, it just doesn't feel good.

What are your thoughts on the extra ctrl key?
Oh, I should have mentioned this. I love it! Like the arrow keys, I've got too much muscle memory looking for the right ctrl key with my pinky. But when I remember to use the forefinger I think it's great. Anything to move stress off the weak fingers and onto the strong ones is welcome. That said, leaving the left side ctrl key where it is was a good choice too, if only for the Ctrl-XCV functions (for which the keyboard does have dedicated keys for anyway).

By the way, I'm typing this reply on Cherry browns at home, the review was written on the Matias at work. Returning to the Cherries after a month on the Matias is like returning to an old girlfriend after a breakup. I really really like the Matias, especially the adjustable hand position. But Cherry Browns and especially Blues are just another world. Don't expect the key action to be anywhere near that experience. But other than the actual keys themselves, which may be restricted to the Low Force keys on my board, the Matias is probably the most comfortable keyboard for long typing sessions that I've ever used. It's great for code, it's great for documentation, it's great for debugging (alt-tabbing and function keys and jumping to and from the mouse), and it's great for text such as email or Geekhack reviews. Do yourself a favor and get the regular switches, though.